“Best Hooneymoon!” 4 of 5 stars

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   La Toc, Castries, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up To $250 Bonus Credit!!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Castries
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Runnemede, NJ
“Best Hooneymoon!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

The sandals regency exceeded all expectations! We were there November 13-20 2006 for our honeymoon.

We arrived at the smaller airport in St. Lucia which was only about a 15-20 minute drive to the Regency. Or room was the Regency Oceanview Luxury One Bedroom Suite, BEAUTIFUL!!! As soon as we got there we were dropped off at the main lobby and then in a van to the bluffs where our suite was. A butler greeted us and we were in our room within 5 minutes.

A hour passed before our real butler arrived, I wasnt really wowed by the Butler services at first, but as the week went on it did get alot better. Our Butlers were Blain & Sadiq, Blain was the man!!!

We did not do to many excursions. We did do the booze cruise which i highly reccomend.

The great part is if you do excursions you only have to worry about paying at the end of your vacation when you check out.

I also did a few spa days which was awesome!!! They were very professional, especially Jemma!

The pool by the bluff was amazing! It is very quiet and there was always a place to sit. The bartender was very attentive and always mixing great Island Drinks. They were doing alot of constrction by the main pool and it was just alot of comotion.

As far as the food:
Armandos: Great Breakfast, Great Lunch. but tomato sauce tasted like speghetti o's. Dinner was average.

Arizona's: AWESOME, great snacks! Great for lunch! Ate there mostly everyday for lunch.

LaToc: AWFUL!!! I was not impressed with this dinner at all, my husband had lamb and said it was great, I had boullabise it was awful. Do Not reccomend!

Kimonos: AMAZING! Great entertainment, the send best meal we had.

Pavillion: Average, breakfast was bad really bad flies hanging around, dinner was average.

Gordons at the Grande: Best dinner we had while on our honeymoon, if you dont have the Butler service you have to pay for this dinner.

***********************************
It was a great honeymoon, and I cannot say enough about Sandals resorts.

The smaller airport in St. lucia was a little awful coming home, we were delayed 2 hours which was only supposed to be 45 minutes, we ended up missing our connecting flight into Philly by 10 minutes. And since St. lucia is its own government the people in Puerto Rico were not accomating. It may be worth it to fly to the farther away airport. Only bad thing I have to say!!!

No pressure, no problem!!!

• Liked — The resort was so clean!!!
  • Disliked — Small airport in St. lucia!
  • Tips/Secrets — Have Fun!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,226)
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

Quite simply our wedding and honeymoon went off close to perfect.

We stayed at the Penthouse Honeymoon Suites on the Sunset bluff and opted for the buter service.

The butler's were helpful in getting us reservations at the restaurants we wanted to at the times we wanted to...when we called those restaurants directly we were not able to be fitted on the nights we preferred. They also had some surprises for us like flower-petaled decorated room and baths which we founf very romantic. However, if you stay at any of the concierge suites and dont need the extra pampering you can get by without the butlers..especially if your stay is short...we were there for 10 days.

Wedding: We opted for a no-frills wedding and were quite content with the service. The minister could have been a little better but the videographer and the photographer were great. Getting married in the morning with the waves crashing at our feet was a lovely experience.

Restaurants: La Toc is hyped up and probably our worse meal. To boot, having to get dressed up (closed-toe shoes for men) was a bit of a pain. The restaurants that do not require a reservation (and you can go in with sandals) were actually our favorite (Armando's, the Pavillion and Pitions). Try to schedule a breakfast and lunch at Armandos. Otherwise you will get sick of eating at the Pavillion all the time. If you get a butler than you are invited to eat at Gordons' at the Grande Resort...this was excellent and a five star dinner and service.

Entertainment/Pool: We went snorkeling and took advantage of this at least once a day (When we didnt have excursions planned). There are lots of activities that we didnt take part of but we know many other couples had a blast in doing (e.g. pool volleyball, scavenger hunts, etc.) The Pavillion area and pool is the main area for entertainment and fun. It is a larger pool and the music and setting is a bit more lively than the Sunset Bluff Pool which is serene and less crowded. At night we enjoyed the Reggae band the most. The other nights had decent entertainment although at times the music was excessivley loud. We asked our server to turn down the amp and they did a bit. Also, be aware that on the weekends there seems to be a three-day weekend crowd that is a bit younger and into debauchery than the normal honeymoon crowd.

Service: Pretty good. People are genuinely nice. At times the service can be a little slow..but hey, it is the islands, mon!

St. Lucia is a beautiful island. We recommend the zipling canopy tour.

When getting on a van (as is on the airport shuttle), sit towards the front otherwise you may risk car sickness. The roads are winding. Dont forget you are in the 3rd workd afterall...but it is not nearly as bad as some of the negative reviews might have you believe.

Have a blast! We did!

• Liked — Scenic location
  • Disliked — La Toc Restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — There's a lot to do and places to eat. Plan in advance to take fool advantage.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in St. Lucia. We stayed at the Sandals Regency and loved it! The pool looks just like their ads...beautiful. Initially, we stayed in the Luxury Beachfront Room in the main hotel area, with hopes of upgrading later. We were very pleased with the room. It was also convienient to most restaurants, the main pool, the beach and entertainment at the resort. We later upgraded to a private villa with pool. These are shown on their maps in brochures, but not listed/advertised as a room category. The villa was beautiful, private, with fully stocked bar, and a patio with plunge pool. It had an obstructed view of the ocean, but was very nice.

Concierge service is not the perk we thought it would be. You can pretty much get the info you need from the front desk. The front desk also takes reservations for the two restaurants that require such. These are Kimonos and La Toc. We barely spent anytime in either room, so if you are adventurous and like to stay active, you would likely be pleased staying in the less expensive rooms in the main hotel building.

Grub:

The reviews I read prior to going to this resort, indicated that the food was average. My husband can attest to the fact that I am a very picky eater and will complain about food if it warrants such. That said, almost all the food was great. I was truly impressed. We ate at Arizonas the first night and had great steaks. I am not even into steak much, but it was really good and tender. The Pavillion is the pic you see by the main pool. Its breakfast buffet is wonderful and very expansive. They also have nightly entertainment. Armando's was the first place where I was disappointed by the main course. I had pasta with a cream sauce and the sauce had almost no flavor. I rarey add salt to a prepared pasta dish, but it definately called for it. They had great pizza though, and the restaurant was quite romantic. We aren't into Japanese or French food so we didn't go to Kimonos or La Toc. They appeared very popular though. It would be wise to book your reservations there the same day you arrive to ensure you get a spot. The desserts were average. The best desserts we had were at the Italian restaurant at the Sandals Grande. We both enjoyed the ricotta cheesecake with blueberries and some sort of flan or gelato. Frozen fruit punch was my favorite drink. Their local frozen, No Pressure No Problems drink was good as well. My husband enjoyed the Piton beer.

The Beach:

The reviews I saw here were pretty accurate. The beach at this hotel is small compared to the sister properties. Also, expect rougher water at the Regency. I didn't really consider it rough since I live in an ocean community. Nevertheless, I was going to the island and preferred the calmer water located at the Grande. What I was most disappointed with at the Regency was the water color. I've definately seen clearer, prettier water in other places I've been. However if you've never been to the Caribbean, you would think it was beautiful as did my husband. If you want prettier, calmer water, I would suggest spending a day at the Grande.

Sandals Resort differences in St. Lucia:

After visiting all 3 of them, we were very happy with the one we picked. The Halcyon to us was uneventful, small, and boring. It is the most laid back, thus those who aren't into much activity may prefer it. We visited briefly and had dinner at the Pier restaurant. We spent part of an afternoon at the Grande. I believe it is the newer of the 3 resorts. Their landscaping was beautiful as was the water. It was the busiest and seemingly most active of the 3. The Regency was likely as populated, but the Grande had more people in a somewhat condensed area. Beacause the Regency was so sprawled out, it was rarely crowded with too many people. It was the middle of the 3 and we preferred it. We did our water sports at the Grande which was a lot of fun. We did kayaking and the aqua trike. We took a scuba class at the Regency. The best pool was at the Regency.

Entertainment:

There was entertainment every night, but not as much as I anticipated. Specifically, there was different live music every night, but I never saw other types of shows like fire eating or whatever. This is not to say it didn't happen though. Jimmy's sports bar turns into a club at 11:30 pm. Not a lot of people went there, but we had fun dancing to the good music. Reggae night is Tues in the Pavallion and the performers were excellent. They have daily activities as well, but we were so busy seeing the island that we didn't have time to participate.

Staff:

The staff at the Regency were the most friendly and accomodating out of the 3 resorts. Our biggest complaint was that when we upgraded to a new room, it took quite a while to get our bags. We were told to leave them in our original room and they would take them there at 1pm. We did not get them until 8pm. Grant it, we were gone most of the day, so we didn't need them, but when we needed to change for dinner, it got to be a big inconvienience. We requested to be compensated for this and received 1/2 off a nigt's stay in our villa. We found this to be reasonable.

Tours:

We only participated in one of the hotel offered tours. Otherwise, we rented a car for days 2 and 3 to do our own touring. We are adventurous and like to explore on our own, but it is understandable why others may feel uncomfortable doing so. Driving is on the left, with the steering wheel on the right. The roads have pot holes and are narrow, steep and winding. Street signs and miles per hour are virtually non existant, however when exploring the southern tip, we found it fairly easy to get around with very few turns onto new roads. My husband had a blast driving, but for a lot of people, including me it would be nerve wracking to drive like that. We rarely felt unsafe in the areas we crossed.The tour we took offered by the hotel was to the neighboring island of Martinique. It was an all day type of thing, including breakfast and a great barbeque on the boat. We explored the city area for 2 hours. French is primarliy spoken. The people are not very friendly and it is expensive. We left that area and went snorkeling at a nearby beach and had the bbq. I was hoping to see clearer water, but this was not the case. However, the trip overall was worthwhile. One bad after effect is that we still feel like we are on a boat 3 days later. It's a somewhat uncomfortable wobbly feeling. However, keep in mind that we went scuba diving the day before, thus our equilibrium is all screwed up. Another couple we know took the Land and Sea tour, and enjoyed it very much.

The spa: We did an 80 min couples spa treatment. The spa is beautiful. We had a massage, sea scrub, and bath. I would opt out of the sea scrub if you have any type of sun burn.

Well, this is a very exhaustive overview so hopefully it is helpful. The reviews helped me and I wanted to return the favor and be thorough enough for future honeymooners so that they can make the best choice for their romantic trip. If there are any questions unanswered by this, feel free to respond to the review and I'll be happy to answer. For general info on the island sights and a few other hotels, see my review (s) under either St Lucia or the St Lucia Hotel forums.

• Liked — The resort layout
  • Disliked — trouble with baggage when switching rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Sure. See the review.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2006

Unfortunately this was our first Sandals experience and probably will be our last. We were taken to our room (early evening) and the room was not ready, hadnt been cleaned. Food was mediocre, staff - some were friendly. Service was poor. Your promised premium liquors - didnt happen. Our rooms were very nice, did concierge level, great views but always having to ask for things they'll forget to put in our room.
The island of St. Lucia is beautiful - I would go back but not to a Sandals.

• Liked — The Views
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2006

This was our first trip to a Sandals resort. There were 7 couples representing a pretty diverse group that has traveled quite extensively. The resort was beautiful and we loved the water's edge suites that we stayed in. However, there were quite a few things that weren’t up to our expectations. The service and food was a disappointment and I would rate it FAIR- POOR. Our travel agent received information from the Sandals staff regarding specifics on what brands they stocked and considered "premium liquor" - the information we received from the resort staff seemed to be a total fabrication. The brands we were told were available were not, and when we asked at the Concierge, they said they have never had these brands available. If we asked for other brands than those provided in our suite – they wanted us to pay $25/bottle. Armando's restaurant wasn’t a problem and was able to handle our big party 2x – the food was the best there, but the service was terrible – I think on average we waited ~1.5-2hrs for a meal – even when it was just the 2 of us for breakfast. We didn’t really mind the wait when we were with the group, but you had to continually ask for a refills on drinks/coffee/etc. The dinner at LaToc was very elegant, but the food wasn’t as good as Armando’s. One day we took the shuttle to the Sandals Grande since there were ~4 of us that wanted to water ski and we found out you couldn’t do that at our resort, only the Grande – when we got there, the ski boat was broke and didn’t get fixed before we left so we weren’t able to water ski at all. On the shuttle ride back to our resort we were stopped at the gate where about 75 employees were picketing – noone could really tell us what the issue was, but we received information later that ~80 housekeeping and grounds employees were let go. After that, we had no turn down service at night and housekeeping service in the room wasn’t as thorough. Several times we came in on our housekeeper cleaning the room at 4-4:30PM and had to make special request for earlier cleaning if we had an earlier appt to get ready for. The spa visit was lovely, although mine was a bit interrupted by drilling and pounding since they were remodeling the Fitness Center right next to the spa. Some of the group wanted to do Yoga/aerobics classes, but they weren’t available due to the fitness center under construction. The guys seemed to enjoy the golf and had no problems getting tee times. Some of us did the scuba and several of us went out on the snorkeling adventure which was fun! The beach and the island were absolutely beautiful, couldn’t have asked for a better atmosphere! We had some pictures taken by the resort people that was a really nice feature. Unfortunately based on our experience with the service and food, most of the people in our group would probably not stay at another Sandals resort.

• Liked — Room and Beach
  • Disliked — Food and Service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2006

I must start by saying that my husband and I are frequest quests at Sandals Resorts. We have visited the Bahamas and almost all the Sandals Resorts in Jamaica.

This year we decided to visit for the first time Sandals Regency in St. Lucia Golf Resort & Spa for our third Wedding Anniversary. I have to confess that I was a little concerned because this vacation would be for 2 weeks and we had to travel for about 14 hours to get to our final destination.

Words cannot express how perfect this get away was for us. The views of the ocean and location of the resort are breath taking. From the minute we arrived to the resort, we received the royal treatment from all the staff. The food and desserts just mouthwatering and the service 24/7 was exceptional!.

Our Anniversary was unforgettable; my husband surprised me with a romantic candle light dinner on the beach, white table clothe, petals of tropical flowers sprinkled on the table, champagne glassess, a red rose and under the starts. The food was the best I have had not to mention the presentation. All with the help of the food Manager and Assistant Manager whom helped keep it a secret from me.

However, the one huge difference from Sandals Regency St. Lucia to all of the other resorts including other Sandals is "Management" Zone Manager "Vanderbilt McIntosh" Director of Food & Berverage Manager "Rick Burrowes" and "Daniel Barnard" Assisstant Food & Berverage Manager. These people are so involved with the guests, the honesty and sincerity behing each smile, wonderful personalities, always approchable and always making sure that everyone is doing great. We have never seen such devotion from any other management team at any of the other resorts. i always say is the little things that will keep us coming back.

We could have never picked a better resort to celebrate our third Wedding Anniversary because what they had to offer was two weeks of pure Delight.

• Liked — 24/7 excellent service ,great staff.
  • Disliked — we do not have any.
  • Tips/Secrets — always have your camera ready, because you never know what you may come across. let your self go and enjoy.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Sandals Regency St. Lucia Nov 6th till Nov 13th. Upon arrival, Sandals staff removed our bags from the van and would send them to the room. As new arrivals, we were brought to an air-conditioned room to sign some paperwork while some rum-punch and fruit was served. It was a refreshing start to have once arriving though.

I was a bit grouchy that we weren't immediately able to get to our room (might not have been ready yet), but that was only a minor inconvenience. We were taken to a place for lunch and the room was ready by then.

Our room had been upgraded from one of the "immense balcony" rooms to a room on the Sunset Bluff Suite Concierge. It was a pleasant surprise and the view was spectacular (view of the beach/resort on one side and the west coast on the other).

The rooms were clean. Maid service came every day to tidy up, change towels, etc. No complaints there. There was some sound that I think the AC (or something) was making that squeaked a little bit. My wife swears it was a rat outside, but I believe the sound stopped when I turned the AC off. The noise wasn't bothersome really.

The staff on the property were all very friendly and helpful. We misplaced our AC remote (no other way to control these ACs than this remote) and they sent out maintenance staff at 11pm to assist us.

Surprisingly, the least accommodating of the staff was the front desk. We had to fill out some form for a "free wedding gift" and they declined to give us a pen. Weird. Also, upon checkout, the instructions said to return the safe deposit box key. However, the front desk told me that they needed the lock as well and sent me walking back up to get it. I thought that was surprising.

I was pleased with the food for the most part. Armando's for breakfast had a great view with good food. We ate at Arizona most days for lunch. It overlooks the beach which is nice, and you can get something light.

Most restaurants for dinner were good. The French, Japanese, Italian and Caribbean restaurants were good. Arizona was very poor for dinner. The cuts of meat they served were not very appetizing since they were mostly fatty.

The wait staff at restaurants is interesting. For each table, you will have 2+ waiters assigned to you. One seats you, one handles drinks, one handles your order and one serves you. Asking your "food server" for drinks will not get you drinks. You have to flag your drink server to get a drink.

Most of these restaurants are open-air dining. For breakfast and lunch, you can expect to see birds flying nearby, walking around the floor, etc. They never bothered us really. Occasionally, I would have my wife wait at the table while I went to a buffet table to prevent any unwanted visitors to our plates.

The restaurants were clean and I saw no signs of bird droppings near where we ate.

We did see rats two nights. Just a few though. They are the size of NYC rats and less skittish. I never saw one near a restaurant or near my room, just near the beach in the brush.

Many tours are offered through the resort. They were a great way to see the island and meet other people. I recommend the "Land and Sea" and the "Rainforest Canopy Adventure."

As for the bartender service, I didn't feel it was too slow. The bartenders also handle restaurant orders (example: the Caribbean restaurant gets drinks from Herbie's Piano Bar - so if you are in the Piano Bar and want drinks, you normally are lower priority than orders placed by waitresses/waiters from the Caribbean restaurant).

They provide nice entertainment most nights. They had a steel drum band at the main lobby area one night. At Arizona, they had a local St. Lucian guy singing country music. I was very surprised how well he could sing Johnny Cash. Every night they had a solo steel drum guy playing near the Caribbean restaurant. The piano bar had a pianist come in everyone at the bar would sing along to common songs (Piano Man, Margaritaville, New York New York, etc).

Nearly all Sandals employees were very friendly. None were rude ever.

I met one interesting man on the beach. He is self-dubbed the "Fun Guy." I was swimming at the beach and had apparently inadvertently given some universal sign for "I'm interesting in purchasing weed" and he asked me if I "wanted smokes." Once I told him I wasn't interested, he didn't bother me again. I wasn't really concerned about it. He wasn't threatening at all and wasn't exactly "soliciting" to me. Just for the record, he wasn't an employee of Sandals either.

The beach was very nice. It is very clean (no glasses, litter, etc) and the water itself is very clear. The beach isn't very wide (about 50 feet from the ocean to the flood walls, but it just makes it a short walk to get there). Lifeguards do not allow swimming if there is a "red flag" up. Not even "swim at your own risk." I was a little disappointed that my last day at Sandals had a red flag, and even though I'm a good swimmer, I wasn't allowed in. But, I guess they are just doing their job.

Even though I might have criticized the front desk personnel earlier, they did make up for their minor flaws when they offered us a courtesy room when our flight was delayed from 6pm until midnight. We were given free use of all facilities (bars, beach, pools, restaurants, shuttles) and a key to a vacant room so we could shower/change. They also kept tabs on the flight schedule to see if it was being delayed any further.

Surprisingly, there were a fair share of "older couples" at Sandals. My definition of older couples is very loose and general and simply "Those not on their honeymoon." They had just as good of a time as the "younger honeymoon crowd." Maybe it was just the time of year that brought a fair share of older couples to Sandals, but I don't think older couples need to think they might be "out of place" at this resort.

In my opinion, your vacation is what you make of it. If I let the "little things" like a long wait on the shuttle to bring me up the hill to my room get to me, then I'd probably be miserable anywhere.

I was very pleased with the resort.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!