“Not 5 Star” 2 of 5 stars

World Travel Award!
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Castries
“Not 5 Star”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2005

Resort looking very tired, rooms also needing refurbishing.tatty towels in the room and for the beach.
The queue system for the restaurants is awfull 30 + trying to get in at one time and generally a lack of management. Food is good though.
Watch out for the football boys taking over the beach on sundays, they told my wife and I to get off it. Some of the staff have a lot off attitude.
This holiday is expensive and generally not worth it , if you want 5 star dont go there.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,097)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

We arrived at Sandals Regency on November 15, 2004 for our wedding on November 19, 2004. Since it is a couples-only resort, we only had 3 other couples come to St Lucia for our wedding, as well as a single relative who stayed at another hotel. We had to pay a guest fee for him to come on the Sandals property for two days, which included everything on the resorts.
The staff was great and very friendly. When we first arrived, we stayed at a premium room in the main hotel for the first three days prior to the wedding. We upgraded to the two-story villa suite with a private pool for the six honeymoon days. Because of our plan, we actually were able to experience two different types of rooms at the Sandals Regency. The premium room was small, but our room overlooked the golf course, which was nice because it was very quiet. We had noticed that the pool area was always pretty loud, so we appreciated the room location. The one thing we didn’t like about the premium room was there wasn’t a refrigerator in it. There was a location in the room that looked like it had a refrigerator in it at one time, and I am not sure why they wouldn’t include one, but those rooms did not have them. We had a great time with our friends there, having them share a vacation and our special day. The good thing about the three St. Lucia Sandals resorts is that you can go to the different resorts to play or eat. The Regency has six different restaurants, which was nice to have those various food options instead of the same one or two restaurants that many resorts have. We really enjoyed all of them.
Because of the local marriage requirements, we arrived three days prior to our wedding. We didn’t have to do a thing except show up to get married. They took care of everything, to include making reservations for my hair and nails, cake, flowers, band, pictures, and video. A one-hour meeting with them arranged the whole thing. They were great and customer service was fantastic. They really made us feel welcomed and we felt they wanted to make our wedding day a special one. They even helped us arrange our rehearsal and wedding dinners with our guests. Our wedding was beautiful; although it rained just a little after the ceremony (It was nice to have rainbows in our wedding pictures).
On the wedding day, we moved up to the two story villa suite in the bluffs. They took care of everything for us. They knew we were pre-occupied with the wedding that day and made the move transparent to us. The villa suite was like a whole different resort. It was much quieter compared to the main hotel. The two story villa had a Jacuzzi upstairs in the bedroom area, along with a nice vanity area. The king size bed overlooked our private plunge pool, which was beautiful for sunsets. Downstairs was a living room with a full bar and TV. Outside had a table where we enjoyed our breakfast every morning. The suite also had 24-hour room service. They also kept our refrigerator stocked with whatever we wanted (the wine was great!).
The resort also has a lot of activities for day and night. My husband made it to all three resorts, but I only made it to the Halcyon for dinner at the Pier and Bayside Restaraunts. I would highly recommend this place for a honeymoon; I would also recommend staying in the bluffs because it is very romantic. During our stay we went shopping, diving, and took a day trip down to the pitons. All arranged by the Regency tour office by the lobby. They were very helpful. We had a great time on each trip. Overall we had a great time. During our whole stay, the staff, both at the main hotel and up at the bluff, treated us fantastic, and always with a smile. They were great and enhanced our stay there. We would recommend staying in a suite up in the bluffs if you are on your honeymoon, it is very romantic.

• Stayed November 2004
Rocky Mount, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2005

AGAIN, like so many, I was terriefied to go the Regency based on the reviews. We were VERY pleasantly surprised. NOW, with that said, if you are expecting the breathtaking photo's sandals has on their website you may be dissapointed. The Regency is a bit older, but not like the Halcyon, and not rowdy like the Grande.

We stayed from March 24-29. Upon arrival we had been upgraded to a Luxery Oceanview room. The room is not HUGE but it is definitly not small. We had a sitting area and our balcony was very nice. It had a table and chairs and two lounge chairs that we did use to sun our backsides (the chairs at the beach/pool are not condusive to lying flat).

The property is beautiful and contrary to others reviews we found the beach to be pretty calm. We frequent the NC & SC beaches and they are WAY rougher. The crystal clear water is truly unbelievable. There were always chairs available and no shortage of towels. We had Green flag days everyday we were there.

The food was not awesome but it was not bad either. It was all prepared with very nice sauces and was very flavorful. We found the steak selections to be a bit tough but we figured they must bring in frozen. We never had trouble finding something to eat or drink. I would suggest that based on the fact that your drinks come in TINY glasses that you bring your own cup. They are more than happy to fill your cup and you can make less trips to the bar. We ate at all of the restaurants and they were all equally good.

The main pool was very busy and more rowdy. The bluff pool was quieter but still quite a few people. We chose the pool by the piano bar and there were never more than two couples there. It was very nice and you can watch the ocean from the pool and have your own bathroom.

The staff was amazing and we loved our Versila.........she met us in town and gave us the castries shopping tour. We were able to go the local stores and not all the tourist crap. She also gave us a solid education in how they live, cost of living, etc. It was very interesting.

We did not have any trouble staying entertained. There were activities planned every night and the local flavor music is quite nice.

We did go to the other properties to look around. Halcyon seemed quite run down but I didn't see much of it. The Grande is definity newer but the beach had ropes up where you could swim and there were boats docked all over in the cove. From the photos (online) it looks like there is beach on both sides but that is not really the case. One side is sandals beach and the other beach is across the road you drive in on. It seemed to be the side the locals used and was packed with cars. The main pool was VERY busy and not to our liking. The Regency although older was more relaxing.

I know this is a bit long but I would like to add a few things that I did not know going in and would have liked to known as well as a few tips...

1. I tan easily and RARELY burn....THE SUN IS HOT IN ST LUCIA. I have never needed anything more than a SPF 4 and I brought SPF8 . I had to buy SPF15 and most people were sticking with with the SPF40.
2. Bring your own cup unless you want to be walking back and forth to the bar.
3. They say "no tipping" but they do accept your tips and you will be taken care of.
4. There are standard electrical outlets in the room (two I believe)
5. Do not forget your flip flops - In the gift shop they start at $60 and go $120 US DOLLARS! (and they are like Walmart ones) Gift shop is in US Dollars and expensive.
6. If you want souvenirs, Go into town. The same gift shop tshirt they sell for $20 is 4 for $20 in town.
7. Make your dinner reservations when you check in! AND do not let them tell you "it's full". If you ask, they will find a spot for you.
8. Cell phones work! I have cingular and I called they added intl roaming for $3.99 and I had full bars the whole time.

Finally, remember the golden rule, "do unto others as you would have done to you". We saw too many RUDE people while we were there. The locals staff these resorts and if you travel to where they live you would understand that your level of service may be different than theirs. These people are very kind and accomodating however, they have not been to your favorite hotel or restaurant to know what it is that you expect. Remember you are in the west indies..... treat people with respect.

Ok I'm done. We loved it and would do it again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

I read every review posted and was very nervous about going to this resort based on some of the negative reviews. I wanted to stay at the Grande but couldn't see paying an extra $1,000 when we could just take the shuttle there from the Regency. We were so happy with the Regency we didn't even go visit the other 2 resorts. We stayed 7 nights. The ride to and from the airport was not bad at all, we loved getting to see some of the island.

We had a fabulous vacation. Everything was great. We were upgraded to an oceanview room because of construction. The construction was going on, on the other side of the building but really wasn't bad because we were never in our room. We absolutely loved St. Lucia and would go back in a heart beat, we liked it better then Mexico and Jamaica. The resort is awesome, the food was so good(the best I've ever had at an all inclusive). There were so many restaurants that we ate at a different one almost every night and they were all good (the piton and kimono's were my favorite). The pool was fun and the nightly entertainment was fun too(they always had something going on at night for entertainment and after the entertainment ended they opened the disco in the sports bar). The beach was beautiful, it was a little rough but that didn't stop anyone. The weather was great, it only rained the day we got there and for 10 minutes on Monday. It was in the 80's all week.

We took the land and sea tour which was incredible. We got to see most of
the island which is breath taking. We had a couples massage at the spa
which one of the male massage therapists helped me con my husband into
doing and it was one of the best massages I have ever had.

Our vow renwal ceremony went smoothly. I had my hair done at 8am and we renewed our vows at 10am and picked out our digital pictures we wanted at 11am. The wedding coordinator made a mistake and told us our ceremony was at 10:30am (at the meeting they had scheduled on Monday)which wasn't a big deal but he gave us free t-shirts. They did 10 ceremonies the day we were there and I don't think any of the couples ever crossed paths.

Overall it was a vacation of a lifetime. We didn't even go visit the
other resorts we were so happy with the Regency. If you ever get a chance
definately visit St. Lucia, I can't speak highly enough of the island and
the people were so nice. The staff at the Regency would do anything for you.

Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2005

overall, this is a fabulous resort: lush, green, beautiful grounds that are meticulously maintained. plenty of pool space for lounging. all the drinks and food you want! and a pretty good spa - we had the couples' massage.

the ROOM: my husband and I stayed in the suites on the bluff for our honeymoon (not the newest ones - the other ones!). the room itself was lovely, but given the price I would have expected a nicer bathroom. (it was small and plain and looked to be a remnant from the 70s.) but the view from our suite was absolutely spectacular and we barely noticed our neighbors. the private plunge pool was so romantic and was well-maintained. however, we were surprised one afternoon by a staff member walking through the area behind our patio - so beware if you plan on skinny dipping! room service was usually timely, although the room service menu is rather limited.

the FOOD: the breakfast buffet was wonderful - many choices of American items as well as local specialties. lunches, however, reminded me of experiences in my high school cafeteria: not a lot of variety and not very good quality. we visited each of the restaurants for dinner. you definitely need to get reservations for Kimono and Piton as soon as you arrive at the resort. the quality and variety of the dinner food was very good, although you could skip the Italian restaurant (forget the name). the Italian restaurant at the Grande is MUCH better. we also went to the Pier at Halcyon, which was excellent (make reservations). overall, the wine offerings were not very good. and they always make drinks with local liquor, so be sure to ask if you want a different brand! they'll give it to you, but only if you ask.

the ATMOSPHERE: the area around the main pool is party central! water aerobics starting at 10 am (with very loud music and entirely overzealous staff). couples' games, karaoke, dance contests, heavy drinking, you name it! reminded me of a cruise ship or summer camp. so if you want a quiet, relaxing day by the pool, go to the pool on the bluff! there are lots of opportunities for interacting with other couples, but we kept to ourselves and still had a marvelous time.

one note about the beach: the water was pretty rough the entire time we were there. I'm a good swimmer, but my husband had to help me get out once, and we both got thrown on our butts a few times.

the only problem we really had was that they were somehow unable to find us a lock for our in-room safe for 2 days.

make the most of the excursions offered through the resort. we took the jeep jungle safari and it was AWESOME - one of the highlights of our trip. we got to see the "real" St. Lucia.

overall, if you are looking for a fun place with lots of variety, beauty, no hassles, and plenty of food and drink, Sandals is for you! if you are looking for true gourmet cuisine, white glove service, an upscale spa, and peaceful serenity, you might be happier elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2004
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2005

We just returned from a one week vacation at the Sandals Regency. Upon arrival, we were checked into an extremely small uncomfortable room, which they called a Luxury Oceanview Room. The view was beautiful, but we just could not stand shoving past each other to get to the bathroom. After politely complaining to management, we were switched to a larger room with a seating area, and we were now much closer to the main area. This made us much happier. As others have mentioned, the hotel is a bit rundown and could definitely use a facelift. We normally wouldn't mind that so much. However, for the amount of money we spent we expected much more.

The staff was absolutely wonderful, very accomodating and always polite. The restaurants were very good, but... if you are not a seafood lover your options are very limited. The beef loin (which was pretty much the only option besides seafood) was delicious, but I would have liked some more options (chicken maybe).

Nightlife was pretty quiet. A few nights there were things to do, but for the most part, we were in our room by 11:00 (because the main area seemed deserted.) If you are looking for a little more excitement at night, I wouild opt for The Grande. However, the last shuttle runs at 11:00. We spent 4 days at the Grande and LOVED it there. The Grande is more of what we expected from a Sandals.

We read many of these reviews prior to going on this vacation and blew them off. However, we would have to agree with most of them. Now, we still had a wonderful time and we are not saying that the Regency is horrible-but expected much more for the $ we spent. Also, the beach at the Regency is no where near as bad as others have said. We spent hours in the water- it is a little rough but no red flags during our stay.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2005

I just recently got married and had my honeymoon here Feb 19th and stayed for 1 week. We had read other reviews before going but decided to be optimistic and just judge for ourselves. We knew everyone was not going to be happy no matter what.
Everything was GREAT!!! We stayed at the suites on the bluff and the rooms were nice!!! There were a few issues but someone came right away to fix them. NO PROBLEM MAN!!!The 24 hr room service was wonderful. The food was hot and came very quickly no matter what time of day or night. All of the staff was nice, friendly and was ready to help with anything. The restaurants were great and the food was good if you like a variety. You have to make reservations immediately at 2 because they fill up quickly. Our butlers were very helpful and any did anything to make our stay enjoyable.
The shuttle service from the bluff to the main building ran every few minutes so there was no long waits. We even caught the shuttle to the other 2 Sandals for dinner and water sports. Taxi services was reasonable also. We took a taxi to a mall in Rodney Bay that was only about 20 min away.
The wedding was all we had dreamed about!!! We had about 30 family and friends that attended and our wedding coordinator Shavon did a wonderful job with every detail. She made sure everything went smoove. The reception with the steel band did a great job!! The entire wedding was well worth the money. I advise anyone to do the island wedding. A lot less expensive (especially if you would have a few 100 guest at home).
We were very pleased with the entire experience and can not wait to go back again VERY SOON!!!!!!!

Forget the negative reviews and just go and see for yourself!!!!!

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!