“Great Trip!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Castries
California
“Great Trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I have been around the Caribbean and this was a great resort. Had the ground floor walkout to the pool or ocean room. Was great. Book LaToc restaurant asap as it's an incredible French restaurant. Also recommend booking Tuscanini's and taking the shuttle to Sandals Grande for an over the top Italian fine dining experience.
Water was GREAT, warm and pretty clear. Not as clear as Jamaica but close. Excursions are great, people are ultra-friendly, and the pool is great. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Don't stay anywhere other than a building by the main building. This is a big resort and you mig...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals La Toc! It is fantastic that you and your wife had such a lovely trip and enjoyed all that the resort has to offer. Being able to access our other properties, gives our guests so many options to explore. What an amazing value and such fun to be had!
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My wife and went to sandals La Toc for our anniversary. This location was amazing! The staff were so friendly and always offering to help. The pool and beach area was great, we never had a problem finding a chair. This location also doesn't require you to wear those annoying bracelets or carry towel cards with you. Food was very good, a good variety everyday and reserving the a la carts wasn't a problem at all. Looking forward to the next time we can go back!

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room away from the pool area, it can be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your review, Rob! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals La Toc! It is wonderful that your anniversary trip was fabulous and your stay with us was the perfect way to celebrate such a special event. Our staff members will be excited to know that they were able to make your time in St. Lucia an unforgettable one!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I want to start off with saying typically I wouldn't review where I stay. I'm pretty easy to please, anywhere with a beach, sun & nice locals is good for me. However, this was our honeymoon, we spent almost $8000 on a sandals hineymoon which everyone made it sound like that is the place to be. Not so much.

Our first day there was hectic, granted its hurricane season, so it's pouring rain, we had a pirate transfer which was great, our driver showed us around the island a little bit but boy did I ever get car sick. I don't get motion sickness but those roads will turn anyone's stomach. We had a two storey butler villa. Honestly, this will make or break your trip, when we went to book it was only 2000 difference between an average room or a butler villa. Butler villa it is! Our pool was chilly, but I wouldn't complain, we were at the very end of the villas and la toc all together so it was quiet, peaceful, our butters Lola and Clovis were truly amazing, offered everything under the sun. Our room was big two streys of course, fairly clean nothing truly to complain about. M first complaint would be the shuttle service from the butler lounge to the main front desk, some days we waited 20 minutes, one day we waited 45 mins, our butlers even had to drive us down the hill a few days because they were embarrassed. Which obviously was great of them, but obviously this is a common problem should probably get fixed.

Night life is a joke, like I mean we were sometimes the only ones in the bar, not really sure where anyone goes past 8pm

We ended up making friends with the bartenders at cricketer the n glitch pub, popularity grew and hats where we spent a lot of time, everyone was laid back and cool, nothing absolutely nothing in st Lucia is fast paced, but why should it be!? You're on a holiday. As for th small orders, you could always order more, they neve minded we learnt very quick that ordering sizes were tiny, so we just ordered more.

Our weather was horrible, rain everyday, infant the first day we saw sun was the day before we left me at that point I was sick and didn't care anymore.

You pretty much need to have a butter to get a chair by any pool or the beach, we typically liked to be around neptunes, seemed quieter, no complaints we had a seat on the bench whenever we wend one. Room service food was great, but order who hours in advance, it literally ales forever, one night we actually fell asleep waiting for it and they left it outside

Lots if cats in the resort but hey explained its because there was a lot of rats and mice previously with all the food. Ill take cats anyday bank you.
Restaurant
Neptunes was a joke, took them over two hours to get us a pepperoni pizza, we ordered a hamburger and mozzerlla sticks I between and told them just to cancel our order. Horrible service.
La toc was good, resveration only, super cold rom, food was just meh, nothing to brag about
Kimonos was more if. Fn experience, food was good nothing I would go running back for
Gordon's at the grand was my all time fav, food was to die for, I waned to eat the every night
Everything else was just borderline okay. Armando's was the same old food you'll find anywhere else

Without havin. Butler by your side you truly don't get treated thA great, there was definitely workers there who loved life was all gang hoe about the resort there wre others who looked like someone run over their dog. When we ate at the pavilion we weren't turreted well at all, shout our butlers taking us to the restaurants we got horrible seating.

Overall get a butler service or don't go at all.

We went into Castries instead of excursions, yet were crazy priced for something so small. Joe knows was 160 per person for 4 hours. Ummmmm no thanks. S we made our way into tiwn, hangout all day met locals it was great everyone's friendly ate sme local food, truly amazing.

Good resort, definitely the best one out of the three we visited them all. Very couple like resort almost everyone was on their hineymoon, very very expensive, everything was. I definitely loved st Lucia the country, not so sure I would spend that money for what I got however.

All nd all, if you want to go the only way to go is with butter service otherwise you really don't seem to matter to them. I tipped anyways, I lay way we gt better service, every 1 American dollars was 2.50 ec dollars to them so they appreciated a few dollars here and there.

Good luck with your choice,,,

Room Tip: Butler service or bust
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious accommodations. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We strive to meet our motto: Luxury All-Inclusive Vacations for Two People in Love. We are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities so I will be sure to send your feedback to the relevant departments.

I hope this message finds you well.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We're just back from a week at La Toc. This was our first visit to a Sandals and to St Lucia. We have no experience of other hotels in St Lucia so I will say right away that we can't compare it to other hotels on the island.

We chose La Toc mainly because of the reviews on here & I have to say that I'm surprised at how different we found it. We were not in the fancy rooms just the "Emerald oceanfront suite". These rooms are right at the front and look out onto the grass and Neptunes cafe. We were given room 203. The first thing we noticed on going into the room was the smell of mould - clearly from the air conditioning. It was BAD! We complained and were told that maintenance would come up. We spent the whole evening in the room waiting - had 2 phone calls to ask if it was sorted! But no maintenance. We complained again the next day and then to the tour rep. Finally maintenance came and said they'd have to do some work on it and it would take 3 hours, They would do it the next day. When we got back there wasn't any difference but we were then offered a move to a room with a balcony - which pleased us of course. We were told our bags would be taken to 301. When we got fed up waiting we moved ourselves... No smell in this room but the air con unit didn't work properly - at full blast it just managed to create a slight cooling. Anyway we said no more as we wanted to enjoy our holiday. On departure we weren't able to keep our room so had a courtesy room for a shower before we left - 104. This room was minging, there was paperwork around so someone had just left - air con stinking, shower falling off the wall.....

So as to the rest of the resort, usually we like going out and about in resorts, Sandals being AI is not like that so we found it a bit different to usual. We found the food good - particularly La Toc and Kimonos, we would happily have gone to La Toc every night (but of course it's reservation only and we could only get there once.) The pools are nice - we spent most of the time at the smaller pool near the piano bar - mainly because that was the only place we could get beds with a shade (needed because there were frequent showers).

Again we didn't get near the beach because every bed was covered in towels..

Sandals would be better using towel cards so that people took the towels back & thus clearing the beds - it was a case of get up at dawn to get a bed - dozens of empty ones but all "booked" with towels on them.

My wife frequented the Spa and loved it!

We took the helicopter transfers - well worth it! Also found the majority of the staff to be very friendly. I don't want to single out any one but Tracy on the front desk was very good.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My Traveler profile:
delta diamond 602,300 miles flown
Marriott platinum (650 nights stayed)
Punta Cana (3 Visits)
Jamaica (1 visit)
St Lucia (1 visit)

Resort reviewed: sandals st lucia la toc hotel and golf resort. Honeymoon October 14-21 -2012
Overall: ⭐ $2500+ ea

Room: sunset bluff waters edge.
butlers service included with cell phone contact. Bi level room with mini bar upstairs (main entrance) also had couch chair, old dated tube TV, and a Balcony.These rooms are closest rooms to water and are described as beach front walk out rooms with your private beachfront. you do have your own door to walk out from the lower level bedroom but it is a walkway 100yards+ before you get to any sand it is also above a small cliff to the beach, not at all useable for swimming and has about 30 feet of vegetation/ trees before the water. the private walkway not private beach front area. Also this serves as a path people think they can walk to the top of the bluff but is a dead end that leads to the door of the last waters edge suite. Unfortunately this was my room on our honeymoon and people constantly were coming to our bedroom door at all hours of the night. Very scary and not cool. these rooms are right next door to the Japanese restaurant. There was construction during our stay between our room and the Japanese restaurant I'm assuming more waters edge suites? Nicest part of this room was in the very small bathroom on the lower level there was a small shuttered window in the shower higher with a screen ( you cant see out of it) if you left the bathroom door open you could hear the waves crashing (same with bedroom window but bedroom windows didn't have screens? Very soothing memorable part of trip.

butler service: this room came with butler service, and cell phone to call him or her. We used it everyday to have them stock a small cooler with ice and as many piton beer bottles they would allow. The mini bar already had a big bottle of smirnoff vodka and bottle of dewars scotch for our use. I requested ice everyday for a morning vodka orange juice and a little sportscenter on the old tube tv. The first day we had him reserve us a spot closest to the useable "waters edge" beach. it is the far left side of the beach as far as location on the resort picture. he set up two plastic chaise loungers and our cooler and a decorative swan towel with a few flowers (first day only) and our name to reserve that spot. we were so excited that we could get this every day!!!!.. Well.. Sort of... The first two days we got this spot, and then he reserved us spots further and further down the beach each day and eventually no cooler. Not sure if he was slacking or what? I eventually kept the cooler and would call for ice and stock it myself from the minibar. also was unable to get ice and beer as requested consistently. it was a long walk from the waters edge rooms to the opposite end of the beach. we only used the butler service for the morning AM beer cooler ice request, and breakfast in room 1 day. Other than that we didn't need him/her. They had reservations made for us already which we modified and he was a help for that to move the times around a bit.

Restaurants: the good is that you only need reservations at the french and Japanese restaurant. most restaurants were so hot.... Better AC needed!
we loved the Italian restaurant, it seemed cooler than most, was a short walk up to the bluff from our room, had a la carte options and wine . We also ate breakfast here everyday. From our room, it was closest and was air conditioned. The main Buffett is open air, hot, and a long walk just for breakfast located at the main pool.

The French was amazing. A must-attend option! Good AC. The best lamb chops I have had in the Caribbean. great fine dining experience. You can tell they difinitely limit reservations for this one.

We did stop at the English pub to watch some football on Sunday and share a few buffalo chicken wings and beer. wings were ok, appetizer portion. Should have ordered 2. Horrible service. Had to go out of your way to wave down servers/ bar tenders for a beer/ drink and they had attitude. oh yeah - and it was like a sauna in here. No AC... so much for Sunday funday nfl football with the wife. We left shortly after eating.

bars:
The piano bar: a nice very cool and air conditioned well, yet very small circle bar in the middle of the resort. it was next to the smaller secluded pool closest to the waters edge rooms and Mediterranean restaurant. we enjoyed stopping here, but not a lot of others did. the pianist tried his best but there were maybe 8 people tops in this bar during the whole stay. I think people didn't know about it as it truly was the only thing to do after dinner. It was a mix of piano entertainment turned optional karaoke. No dueling pianos here. it seems like this bar never really caught on. Hey I sang some journey to myself after a few drinks- made the best of it. We liked this spot but it got old after being empty two nights.

English pub- as stated above- way too hot and bad service. kind of reminded me of a very small hot tacky tgifridays with things hanging all over only . stopped here once and left shortly after.

The beachfront lunch spot:
This was one of the high notes of our stay. Fresh crispy pizza in a warmer or made to order (at peak lunchtime) with availability all throughout the early afternoon in wood fired pizza ovens! right next to a fresh movie theatre popcorn machine. amazing. Frequented both.

Pools:
The main pool is centrally located, still very hard to get drinks (no tipping) just didn't have a good vibe. Horrible repetitive music. This pool is the heart of this resort, and it was just coming up short on everything needed. Better drink service, better music, better playmakers. Bingo was a pool game. Bingo. Are you kidding me? This pool was a big disappointment.
Piano bar pool: awesome secluded spot BUT...looked nasty and like it wasn't cleaned. Needed water added, (Like over a foot and a half needed) lots of leaves in water, horrible vibe.
The bluff pool: top of the hill. :underneath the Italian restaurant and with the bulk of all guests wanting to flock to the main pool, this was a hidden gem! Nice rock formations and waterfalls and was like a private pool, great service, nice restrooms close and light music.

The beach. very secluded, very small (distance between wall and water maybe 50 feet max with the water almost touching the resort wall at high tide) it was pretty rocky but that didn't stop us. we enjoyed going into the water. the beach itself was not policed. at one point locals set up a soccer match at the end of the beach closest to the sunset bluff rooms. (How did they even get into this resort!)when they would kick the ball towards the goal it could hit guests, it almost hit my wife twice before it ruined our day and we left the beach. also had kids asking if we would get them food and drink. sad and not fun to witness. If I had to guess these are sandals workers siblings or friends that grant them access to the beach... not cool.

Entertainment: The vibe this resort has is like a couples resort gone bad. So quiet, horrible music throughout. Way too hot to get comfortable anywhere. The disco (if you can even call it that) is the main Buffett removed tables and big screen is put up. too hot for anyone to get settled in. huge mistake. No one attends. Only notable entertainment would be the gentleman that was set up beside the piano bar playing a big metal bowl very soothing sounds and the pool looked good lit up at night, couldn't tell that it was Low and dirty!
-human size chess board was cool
-hammock was dirty, uncomfortable and rope saturated with years of grease and sun tan lotion. Nasty.

our last day: just one last walk on the beach before our flight- no chance. We wernt aloud on the beach because they were doing a photo shoot with padded chaise lounge chairs that arnt even available on the beach. (So fake) it was like 10am. Same thing at the pool, one last swim and cocktail? sorry pal... Get your models out there at 7am while we are all sleeping or at breakfast. Epic Fail.

Overall: I highly do NOT recommend this resort to anyone especially honeymooners. After visiting this resort we come to believe sandals is an interesting brand. Advertise and attract one time users, mainly a newly married couple. over charge and they want to make that one time special purchase and don't care if they come back. Sandals looks good in the ads, but bottom line is its a dry brand, couples resort gone bad. The absolute no tipping policy is absurd. your employees think they arnt getting a tip they will act like it and settle in with the norm. Horrible idea, more stressful for the customer than it is stress free.
we made the best of what we were dealt at la toc but will not return.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that your stay at Sandals La Toc was not as expected. We strive to uphold the highest standards of service and quality. As hoteliers, we realize that there is always room for improvement and your feedback is appreciated.

We are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities and many of the concerns you have raised from your stay in 2012 have either been resolved and/or changed since your last visit.

We are grateful for feedback, inclusive of TripAdvisor posts, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Our response to feedback continues to be in word and deed. We hope that you would afford us an opportunity to demonstrate the same.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Actually we where in the Sandals La Toc, Castries, St Lucia. The facility is pretty nice, although the climate is hot and sticky due to location in that bay, we could never use the water sport equipment due to high and rough seas. Our reservation was made direct to the main location in Jamaica, and when we got to St Lucia we where given the incorrect room, but that was never corrected, and the trip from the airport to the location was the trip from Hell, in a bus without air, and no open windows. Outside temp was 95+ inside the bus was 105+ drive ignored or did not have aircondition requests. However service at that location was super, very nice and attentive. Rooms kind of so so, attempts at cleaning were mad some days, and some days not so great.

Room Tip: If you go to St Lucia, please pic the Sandals Grande, the others are not that great.
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were on our honeymoon, therefore got the pool in room hideaway suite with conceirge service. Well, we didn't realize that the propoerty was huge and would have to call for a shuttle bus to come get us to go anywhere in the property (pool, restaurants, bars, etc) This was very inconvienient. They charge $43 per week for wi-fi and it didn't work 99% of the time. We took a voluntary downgraded room, so that we could be closer to everything. We were able to look at the room before making the decision. It was closer and had an ocean view, so we took it. Turns out this room had a horrible bed, hard as a rock, and terrible bedding (rough and ugly), We had a very nice bed and bedding in the suite. Than there were ants in the bathroom. We were supposed to get breakfast in bed, well they forgot (I had to remind them). Also, I felt the staff was not friendly. I also thought this was supposed to be a little more luxury than other all-inclusives, it most certainly was not. For the most part the alcohol was not any brand I was familiar with (or anyone else for that matter), the food was mediocre (average all inclusive), and I felt that I shouldn'e tbe sitting at a table with dirty dishes on it. I have travled quite a bit and this was no different than any other all-inclusive. I know I took a voluntary downgrade froma suite to a room, but I thought they could have done something to make our stay a little more special in lieu of a monetary compensation. Our dinner reservations were lost and I felt that they were constantly trying to get you to buy additional things. Giving you an additional wine menu at dinner, stopping you in the hallways to ask when you are going to come visit the spa, photos. I have never experienced this. The views were nice, the manager Della was very nice, but I would not go back. I spoke to a man ont he trip (a travel agent) and he told me the hideaway suites are more for people who don't want to come out much, that would be logical, but they do not have room service, so at some point you'll need to come out. I liked the fact that you could visit and make use out of the other 2 locations on the island, but if I liked the one I was at I really wou;dn't need to.I do not feel this place was any better than one I've stayed in anywhere else for 1/2 the cost. If you decide to go here I suggest you get the butler service, because if you are in a suite away fromt he main area he'll be at your beck and call to drive you, get you meals, or whatever.

Room Tip: Plan to spend the extra money and get a luxury suite with butler. Hideaway suites are not practical...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!