“Better than expected” 5 of 5 stars

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   La Toc, Castries, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up To $250 Bonus Credit!!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Castries
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington, DC
“Better than expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

As a heads up, my husband and I aren't the "Sandals type" (or didn't think we were). Sandals brought to mind commercials filmed in the 90s with too-perfect couples clad in white bathing suits and Bob Marley rhythms in the background... exaggerated paradise. We like to explore the places we vacation, learn about the culture, eat local foods, but still have high-end accommodations. Sandals La Toc gave us the full experience.

We booked the trip last-minute -- literally on a Monday to leave on Wednesday -- because I had a week off of work, we had an airline credit, and we just could handle the snow anymore. Our guidelines were an easy, worry-free, beach vacation to a place we'd never been. We narrowed it down to St. Lucia, and after doing some research, decided on Sandals... with no regrets.

Granted, it's not the cheapest place on the island, but from our being greeted with a drink in the airport lounge, to the warm welcome in the concierge check-in, to our room upgrade (ocean view with a plunge pool), to the fresh seafood, and the fun couples we met. It was truly all about us, and all about love. We also had a full-day excursion and were able to leave the resort to take in more of the beauty of St. Lucia. By the end, I'd even wished I'd packed a white bathing suit!

Logistics:
Travel -- La Toc is a 1.5 hour car ride up a steep, windy, road from the main airport. If you're sensitive to motion, prepare accordingly.

Rooms -- Unless you want a spring-break like experience (basic hotel room by a noisy pool), opt for some type of upgrade.

Restaurants -- Armando's is not worth going to... for any meal. Neptune's was awesome for lunch, and the Pitons for dinner. Kimono's and La Toc are great for a different experience. Don't miss the street party on Friday night! Also, I'm a huge dessert person, and these desserts just didn't do it for me. The food was awesome, but it says a lot when I leave cake on a plate.

Excursions -- Definitely see the Pitons -- even hike them if you're athletically-inclined. We also did a tour where we got to experience some of the local gardens and farming. Really cool to experience.

Pool/Beach -- We're more beach people that pool people, but the pool did seem always busy... for better or worse. Ironically, we often felt like the resort wasn't that crowded UNTIL we walked by the pool.

Staff -- Some people went out of their way to help, others were just cordial. No real standouts on either side, which was totally fine for us. (Well, except for the spa folks. They are a little pushy.)

Overall -- If you've been to an upscale, all-inclusive before, then you'll know what to expect. Great location, better-than-average food, nice people, and as relaxed or active as you make it. If we'd planned in advance, I would have gone for a more boutique location; but this was perfect for a last-minute trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,226)
colchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

we stayed in May for 2 weeks the food has improved since our last stay we have now stayed 88 nights in Various Sandals resorts but still believe Antigua Grande "the best" the most Important person at La Toc has to be Prisciila who works as a waitress in Neptunes Restuarant she is Amazing always happy & we enjoyed seeing her again Mose still does a great job at La Toc French restuarant one person ruined our breakfast at the Pavillion she was always miserable and rude her name was Chanella & should be avoided at all costs another member of staff with a face that could turn Milk was Joy in the Cricketers "Joy" not the name that suits her !!!!
The only real complaint we have with Sandals is we are sick to death having to ask to be recognized as signature guests they should Know by now after the amount of times we have stayed with them its not a lot to expect to be upgraded to conceirge we have at all the other Sandals automatically anyone going to La Toc can be assured of a good holiday so enjoy as we did

Room Tip: 2nd Floor with seaview
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I recently traveled to Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia for our honeymoon in May 2013 (April 29-May 5). We had a fantastic time. Shout out to our butlers Verna, Jameel and Kayson for catering to our every need and provided fabulous service.

As many have previously written, the property is large and there is a quite a bit to do for newlywed couples. I would recommend nothing less than a butler room on the bluff (millionaire suites or below). The reason for this is that end of the resort is quieter and affords more privacy. There is a main pool with swim up bar on that side far enough away from the main pool in the Pavilion and the DJ/reggae music scene (which has much of a spring break feel and is found at the Sandals Grand St. Lucian property's main pool).

The beach at La Toc was red-flagged the entire time we were there and I only observed maybe a handful of people in the water at any given time the entire 6 nights we were there. If you are a beach person, the 35 minute shuttle ride to the Grand is worth it as that beach was clean, the water was calm and warm and very few vendors were there (the beach is public) to hassle you.

The food was delightful. Kimonos (the hibachi/tepinyaki restaurant) was a pleasant surprise for NYers who have been to almost every sort of restaurant of this type. Portions were surprisingly filling. La Toc is a must as well. The Piton Restaurant also was a very good choice as was Armando's. The butler made reservations for us most nights and we were able to book anywhere between 6:00pm to 8:30pm depending on what activities we had planned.

Our room was a 1 floor bluff room with a pation overlooking the Caribbean Sea. We had originally planned on staying on a 2 floor but this room suited our needs just fine. The butlers will draw you a bubblebath in the room's whirlpool on request. On our last night we were also able to have a candlelight dinner on our patio.

The room comes with a stocked bar , however no real high end liqour (other than Dewars or Tanqueray) that most from the States would recognize. The bar staff at the various bars (swim up, Herbies, the Pavilion) were competent; just do not expect top notch cocktails.

The property did have the look of a dated resort and could probably use some upgrades. Despite that, the staff on the whole was very friendly and courteous. A shuttle service runs every 5 minutes or so to take people up and down the hilly property to various points (restaurants, bars or various room locations).

My wife and I did have the couples massage which proved to be very relaxing.

The weather was good for the most part. Expect pockets of tropical rain (warm and more on the drizzle side) practically every day. On our second day there was atypical 12 hours of rain or so in the evening into the morning.

As far as excursions go, my wife and I did the Sunset Cruise (5 hour) to Soufres and swam in the shadow of the Pitons. It was a nice time and another shout out to Brian of Carnaval Party Cruiseline for making that experience fun and memorable.

Our only complaints had to do with the room itself. Possibly for ambience, the rooms are dark as the resort appeared to utilize LED lightbulbs which take time to fully brighten. This included in the bathroom and shower area. Also understand that down in Sandals you are operating on "island time'" which often entails waiting longer for service than you would in the States. The bed and the pillows proved to be too soft for my liking and did not make for the most restful sleep. While the food was superb for the most part, I did notice that bread products (toast at breakfast at Armando's and buns for burgers for room service) could have been fresher. I am not sure whether this had to do with the extremely humid climate (temperature averaged the high 80's with the same degree of humidity most of our stay).

Nightlife is not bad for a resort. My wife and I spent our nights mostly as Herbie's Piano Bar (which opens at 9? and has karaoke style piano music until 11 and then gives way to a DJ).

I would also advocate for renting a cabana near the beach for privacy and just overall calm and romantic atmosphere. We did this over at the Grand. You can rent for a half day or full day.

Again as others have written, all inclusive means all inclusive except: house wine and drinks were ok. Sandals has a Beringer brand Pinot Grigio and Red wine and a French sparkling wine. Anything better than that will cost you and be charged to your room (and expect to pay quite a bit at that).

All in all we had a wonderful time and would recommend to others. Next time we do Sandals however we will try a newer resort (Grenada perhaps or the Whitehouse in Jamaica).

Room Tip: Bluff butler Suites; Bluff swim up bar/pool; Piano Bar; La Toc; Armando's; Kimono's; Sunset...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We just returned from a stay at Sandals La Toc from April 24-28.

Arrival:
We flew Delta which arrived early in the afternoon. Customs and immigration was smooth and we soon found ourselves in the Sandals lounge. As others have said on this site - do not use the guys with the red hats after customs to port your luggage - it is literally 15 feet and they will demand a tip. We opted for a private car - which was worth it. I think they charge about $250 round-trip. Travel time to Sandals is about 60-75 minutes and the driver stopped so we could get some photos on the way in. We stayed in a Romeo and Juliet Suite with a Butler which had an awesome view and was well worth it. If you stay in a Butler room when you check-in they will take you to the Butler lounge where they complete the check-in process for you while you have a rum punch. It was very smooth and only took a few minutes.

Pool:
The Sunset Bluff pool was awesome and if you have a butler they will reserve seats for you by the pool. If you want to sit by the pool you pretty much need to do this or all of the seats will be gone. The butlers also brought us drinks the first day (which you can easily get yourself from the pool bar) and food. After the first day we discovered you could request the butlers to give you a cooler full of whatever drinks you want which is the way to go. We didn't go to the other pools (there was no need - the Sunset Bluff pool is definitely the best) and didn't hang out too much on the beach. The Sunset Bluff pool was really quiet and at most 10 people would be there at once.

Activities:
I would highly recommend the Joe Knows tour. This tour takes you to the highlights of the island by speedboat including the waterfall, volcano (mud bath), snorkeling, and lunch at a local (for tourists) place. There is of course lots of drinking and we had an awesome time. I have extensively traveled the Caribbean and been on many of these tours, and this one was by far the best.

Food:
We ate at Armando's, La Toc, and Gordon's (Grande) which were all excellent. We ate lunch by the pool or got room service.

Alcohol:
If you have a Butler it seems you can get whatever you want within reason. I requested Crown Royal which was in the room when we arrived. We never had any issues of the bars running out of liquor as others have mentioned and we drank alot.

Room:
We stayed in a penthouse Romeo and Juliet suite. It was well worth it for the view (see the picture below). The room was updated but not probably fully renovated as others have noted, although we found it to be nice. Our butlers, Jameel and Ferna were awesome! They had multiple surprises for us (candlelight room with champagne, bubble-bath with rose pedals) which really made the trip!

Departure:
The departure was smooth as the arrival was - again we took a private car. The airport on the departure side is crowded but not as bad as many of the other Caribbean airports. You have to go through immigration again on the way out before you can get to the departure lounge where there is a restaurant and a few duty free stores.

Overall had an awesome time and we would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Romeo and Juliet Suite - Butler Service Worth It
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Returned from Sandals on the 17th April our stay was for ten days and I can honestly say it was paradise! The staff made it for us they were so friendly helpful and obliging we did not want for anything, Latoya from Catering management bent over backwards to see we were happy in all the Restaurants, rooms were very clean and service excellent, will definitely return again very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at sandals La Toc for our honeymoon april 15th -23rd and loved every minute of it. Everyone on the resort was so nice and made us feel welcome! We stayed in a regency hideaway room with private pool and it was perfect! Our room was #79 and it looked newly remodled. The room was clean and couldn't have been better! Our pool had plenty of privacy and got lots of sunlight, we got a lot of use out of our pool! The bar was fully stocked everyday and if you were there when they were refilling the fridge you could even ask for specific things you wanted stocked!
We enjoyed every meal we had, yes some meals took awhile but who cares your on vacation! It's not like we had to be anywhere! We truly enjoyed the Friday night street party the food was wonderful! We ate at La Toc twice because it was so good! My husband loved going the cricketers and getting late night nachos to go, I think he got them almost every night!
For all the negatives I read from other people I was a little nervous but they are all so minor, yes there are cats but if you ignore them they ignore you, yes there's so bugs but your on a tropical island just like there are bugs at home as well! And there were a couple local people walking on the beach but they are not bothersome so if you tell them no thanks they leave you alone and don't ask again!
For activities we did the Joe's Knows tour and I would recommend that to anyone. We had an awesome time and the people who do the tour are a blast! We were laughing the whole time and it was a great way to get a lot if activities into one tour! We so did the ATV tour which was a blast and also gave you beautiful views if the island! We also took the shuttle and spent one day at the Grande which was a nice to be able to that its a great feature of the sandals in St. Lucia! I'm so glad we picked sandals La Toc for our honeymoon, we didn't want to leave and would love to go back!

• Stayed April 2013
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. It's wonderful to read that you had such an amazing and memorable honeymoon at Sandals La Toc. Your suite was absolutely gorgeous and I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another great experience!

Cassie C
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic time while honeymooning in St. Lucia. Sandals La Toc was a perfect choice. We were really impressed with the resort, the exceptional customer service and food was a five star dining experience. The Ptions Restaurant was our favorite. There were many people that made our stay that much more memorable.

Chef - Shervon was a wonderful person. My husband enjoyed getting a fresh omelet made by him every morning. By the end of our stay we had built a lovely relationship with him and he even sent us away with a little care package of fresh fruit and sandwiches to take with us on the plane.

Marquis - has the most positive and contagious personality. He greeted us with the biggest smile and was a gracious host. He is one remarkable man.

Latoya - beautiful and sweet had lovely customer service and was always pleasant to see.

Waiters by the pool/beach- George and Earlan are definitely hard working. Catering to everyone’s drink request with a warm heart and a friendly smile. They are truly good for the soul!

John - who works at the front lobby is full of positivity and always helpful and a pleasure to speak with.

Everyone at the resort was truly lovely and always willing to help and make our trip that much more better but the people stated in the above made our stay truly a memorable experience. Their hard work and willingness to please was recognized and much appreciated.

I would recommend this place to any couple. It is a guaranteed amazing time.

My only negative comment would be that I would like to see umbrellas on the beach. There was direct sun light all day and unless you booked a sun dome you were in the blazing sun all day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!