“St. Lucia is Paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Castries
Chicago, Illinois
“St. Lucia is Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Overall, we had a fabulous trip to St. Lucia - loved the island. The resort itself is beautiful, with varied landscape and plenty of places to escape the crowds and hang out as a couple. We're returning guests and thought this was the most beautiful Sandals resort we had been to in terms of the landscape. I've broken out my review into the positives and the areas that Sandals could improve upon on as I know a representative reads the board frequently and think they should be made aware of these items to help improve for future guests. That being said, we would definitely return and if you're considering going or booked already you will have an amazing time in paradise.

POSITIVES:
-The Resort: Loved the layout -the walk up to the bluffs was nice to get some exercise in but a shuttle is available as well. The whole time we were there we saw many maintenance employees painting, cleaning, etc to keep up the appearance of the resort. The grounds crew do a fabulous job keeping up the flowers and landscaping - just beautiful. 3 beautiful pools - loved the small one off the Pitons restaurant. It had plenty of pool floats and umbrellas for shade and was very peaceful. Firepits were so nice to relax by at night - up on the bluffs they have a couple which were rarely used so it was nice and private to hang out by with a glass of champagne.
-The Staff: overall everyone we met for the most part was extremely friendly and helpful.
-Pool Drink Service: The drink service at the pools, and beach was outstanding! They came around every 20 minutes and anticipated your needs/remembered orders. It was incredible and they were so nice!
-The Pub: Bartenders and servers here were great - we came pretty much daily for an evening snack of nachos and a cold piton. I wish I could remember names but everyone here was really friendly and wanted to make sure you were having a great vacation.
-Housekeeping: we stayed in a beach front room on the 3rd floor and the room was kept spotless for us and our housekeeper left flower petals on the bed and a little note for us one night which was so sweet and surprising.
-Shuttle service: we only visited the grande and hiked ft. rodney and signal peak while out there(a must do for $6USD a person - literally a 5 minute walk from the grande). The shuttle service was a very smooth operation and it was only a 30 minute drive.
-Food: Overall the food was good - had a lot of variety. Some of the must trys: conch fritters and blackened tofu at piton, grape leaves and pizza at Neptunes, sea bass at La Toc.
-The bluffs pool: perfect to visit in the afternoon to watch the sunset - views were amazing and plenty of chairs available after lunch time.
-Beach: nicer than expected based on previous reviews, the crashing waves were so soothing to listen too and you could hear them across the property. Only had a red flag a few days out of our time there so we were able to enjoy the ocean which was great!
-The Island: it was goregous and the people were so welcoming and friendly. Customs was very quick and effiicient both incoming and out. We also had the pleasure of a private tour of the island with Serenity Tours - highly recommended. The Pitons are magestical and definitely a must see if traveling to St. Lucia.
NEEDS IMPROVEMENT:
Check-in: We arrived at the resort around 3:30 after a long day of travel ready to get into our room. We were quickly whisked away to the concierge check-in area and were very excited that we were going to be getting an upgrade...after 5 minutes in the lounge we were pulled aside to a separate table from the other guests and told that actually they pulled us in this room by mistake. No big deal we booked a room we were happy with in the first place it was just really awkward to be pulled to the side of everyone else. Our room ended up not being ready after 5pm so we went to get food -if check in is technically at 3pm rooms should definitely be done before 5 . It seems that every time we've visited a Sandals the check-in process has been long and painful which isn't the greatest start to a vacation. It's definitely not something you let ruin a vacation rather, its just something I think Sandals management could help improve to ensure it's more seamless.
Check out: We checked out, were waiting to board our shuttle to the airport and got called back to the front desk claiming we never paid our billed. Long story short turns out that the supervisor who checked us out had us sign a form that acknowledged our total due and didn't process the charge on the credit card. Mistakes totally happen and it would have been totally fine if handled more professionally than it was - no one likes getting accused of trying to sneak out on a bill.
Eating Late: (as in anytime after 8pm) led to really slow meal service. We ate a La Toc twice -first time it was really excellent both in food and service, second time it seems we had hit an off night as we watched a couple complain to the manager, one get up and leave during the meal, and our server was dropping things left and right and was clearly frustrated and not hiding it. It took over 30 minutes after ordering to get our amuse. Neptunes lunch staff were really great and anticipated needs, but by 8:30pm dinner staff was more concerned with trying to prep silverware for the next day which is understandable but they should have at least kept one server on the floor checking on water, taking empty plates etc for the couples who were eating later.
Drink consistency: bars all had different liquors options, some had blenders other didn't, and a mai tai at one bar would have different ingredients and color than at another bar. Again, honestly not a big deal if you didn't like what you got you could always get another drink.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are close enough to the main areas but are very quite and have large balconies to h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,097)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

this was a return trip to sandals la toc,we went there 10 years ago to renew our vows on our 25th wedding anniversary so we couldnt wait to see if things had changed.we found it very tired looking 10 years ago so of course the first thing we hoped to find was it had lost that tired look.i was so pleased to see that indeed it had.it looked fresh and clean and we couldnt wait now to find out if the food was as superb as we last found it.we went to the french restaurant twice and it was out of this world the fillet of beef just melted in your mouth the food and service was second to none we then went to the japanese and again the food was wonderful and the banter with the chef who cooks for you while you are all sat round was such an experience,he gets everyone chatting with each other,by the end of the evening you felt that you had known these people for ages.every place was the same.we went to the italian which was super food and service,the caribbean was wonderful and one of my favourites,the international was excellentthe room we had overlooked the ocean it was wonderful to wake every morning to the sound of the waves coming up the beach.i can honestly say that we werent dissappointed in any way the staff at the resort bent over backwards to make sure every part of the holiday was first class.it was the people that for me made the holiday so special as it was last time.i have to say that sandals train their staff first class from the top to the bottom and that it why the brand sandals is top of their field,the only negative i would say was they are over priced maybe.......would i go again ...yes definately

Room Tip: it was nice to have a mini fridge in the room and to be able to look over the ocean.these were the e...
Seguin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Sandals La Toc last week. This was our very first trip to a Sandals resort, and we absolutely loved it! Initially, we were put in room #99 (honeymoon regency hideaway one bedroom suite with private pool). It was nice, but it wasn't updated like all the others. So, we simply asked for an updated room and were moved the 2nd day to room #75. It was beautiful and looked exactly like the pictures online of the room we ordered! We loved our room. Additionally, the concierge desk was awesome to work with. Toni, Kima, and the intern Ivy were a joy to work with. We also appreciated Beverly's friendliness and kindness. She is a great addition to the La Toc staff and makes people smile! After visiting all of the restaurants at La Toc and two of the restaurants at Halcyon, our favorite restaurant was Armando's, by far. The shrimp and clam linguinie is to die for! The service is amazing and sitting on the patio watching the sun set is unbelievable. A few negatives: 1) Everyday that we were at La Toc, the red flag was flying so we couldn't do any of the water sports. So, we made a day trip to the Grande where we snorkelled and kayaked. 2) There were always 1 or 2 big Rottweiler dogs with the security guards right outside our room (#75). Especially late at night, they were seriously scary when we walked up to our room! 3) We were not impressed by the Pitons restaurant. We arrived at 6:25, since we heard it's a small restaurant with a long wait. Fortunately, we were seated immediately; however, we did not leave the restaurant until 8:45 PM. It took FOREVER! The service was horrible, and it seemed as if they completely forgot about our food since new tables were being seated, served, and then left before we even received our food. It seems like maybe the Pitons should stay open all nights of the week and even take reservations since the wait staff seemed completely overwhelmed and made us wait forever! It was not a good experience at all.

We definitely recommend making a trip to Sandals Halcyon to eat at Kelly's Dockside on the Pier. The food is tremendous! However, be sure to get there by 6:15 so that you can get a good table and see the end of the sunset.

We participated in 3 Island Routes Tours: Joe Knows, Ziplining, and Deep Sea Fishing. We also did a couples massage and played golf. All of the tours were awesome; however, we don't think we'd spend the money on the deep sea fishing if we had to go back. Our boat only caught 4 tuna and were on a boat with 5 other people. Simple with the Ziplining company is hilarious and made the drive to the canopy adventure go by super quickly! We actually ziplined in the pouring rain. It was super fun. And Joe Knows - we can't say enough about this experience. It was well worth the money and an entire day of our vacation!!!

I got sick about halfway through the honeymoon. I want to say a special thank you to the La Toc staff for the towel swans, balloons, and super sweet note that they left us our last night at the resort. The note said - we hope you feel better soon! That was so sweet, and we definitely appreciated the thoughtfulness.

Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sandals La Toc resort and arrived home dissatisfied with the customer service we received when we had an issue. In the past year I have sent a letter to the Sandals company any which way I could and have gotten no response so I feel compelled to inform others to watch out.

It seems that when things are well the resort staff is welcoming but when there is an issue you're received with condescending smiles and falsities. We booked several excursions through the Sandals website assuming that if they were endorsed by the resort surely they would be satisfactory. Well this was found to be a false assumption when we went on the ATV Adventure St Lucia tour.

I understand that the ATV company is seperate but need to explain the day as we did to the staff at La Toc:
My husband was provided with an ATV that didn't have a working brake. When he approached one of the workers with the very serious issue they stated that he need not worry due to the ATV stopping on it's own. My husband highly doubted it but trusted that the man would know his own equipment. We then left for our "adventure". During the ride we came across steep hills where the ATV did not stop properly and my husband had to drive off course in order not to hurt another rider. When we approached our first stop my husband had a loud confrontation with the groups leader concerning the lack of brakes. The man told my husband to pump the break three times and it would work. Is that honestly a safe method of braking?! I would love to see an individual rent a car and be told to pump the brakes in order to stop from hitting a pedestrian. My husband then suggested to the man that they switch ATV's, if it was so safe then surely the professional working with them on a daily basis could handle it. The worker refused to switch with my husband, I can't imagine why if there wasn't an issue.

After the loud confrontation with the man working the tour and not receiving any help my husband and I agreed that the best thing to do was to speak with the tour desk at the Sandal's resort. We assumed that a company with such a highly acclaimed name would be able to support us with what we see as a legitimate problem. We were proven wrong, so so wrong.

When we approached the desk the woman behind it greeted us with a welcoming smile. When we informed her that we wanted to speak with a manager that smile turned into a condescending smirk and asked us to inform her of our dissatisfaction. While we told her all that I wrote above her body language was that of a teenager being reprimanded, the fact that she didn't blatantly roll her eyes at us is short of a miracle. She finally informed us that we should speak with the manager Nikita who would be in the next day.

Nikita proved to be just as condescending and of absolute no help. We approached Nikita the next morning when her shift started. When we informed her of our problem she listened and told us she would look into it. We approached her later on the same day and ware informed that she was unable to reach anybody but that she would make sure we received our money back before we left to go home. My husband and I decided that we wouldn't allow this to impact the rest of our stay. We were here to celebrate 1 year of marriage after being unable to honeymoon the year before due to serious illness. We needed and deserved to enjoy ourselves and the fact that we both assumed Nikita wouldn't actually do anything wasn't going to loom over our heads. We went against our gut instincts and decided to trust her.

Between May 5th and May 10th we approached Nikita several times when we spotted her at the desk. Each time we received the same answer that she was unable to reach the ATV Adventure people to discuss the problem. I could see where this was going, it was going to continue until the very last day, Nikita had a plan to get out of this. Sure enough May 10th arrived, our last day at the resort, we went to Nikita in the morning. Nikita informed us that the workers at the ATV Adventure tour discredited my husbands story. They said that no man ever approached them about non working breaks and ensured Nikita that all vehicles had working brakes. I would love to be on a conference call with other tourists that were witness to my husband yelling at the man about the brakes when we made our first stop to learn about coal. I expected no less than lies from a company that would have tourists utilizing faulty equipment, but I did NOT expect such bull from the Sandals corporation.

Nikita told my husband that she would refund him 25% of the $120 we paid for him. She told us to come to the desk any time after 12 noon and that she would be there until 7pm. Sure enough when we approached the desk at 12:15pm we were informed that she had left for the day.

I am beyond shocked and infuriated at the treatment we received! We were at the Sandals resort from May 2nd until May 11th. We saw a total of 5 cockroaches in severals locations, we were refused service at a restaurant because we were wet from the rain even though no towels or umbrellas were provided, the water activity center had insufficient equipment and we were provided one bar of soap for two of us to last 9 days. We aren't complainers and usually let things slide - even the cockroaches in Neptune didn't make us flip out, we understand we're on an island and insects cannot be controlled. However, human interaction is 100% controllable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We're so sorry to read that you had this experience at our resort This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and offer the luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon.

Cassie C.
Morehead City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

First trip to Sandals. First let me say, you need to slow down before you arrive. There is not a hurried pace in Saint Lucia and you need to expect things to occur slowly. Once you do, you fall in love with the people and the Island. We had a 3rd floor ocean view room in the main building and the view was spectacular. The restaurants were above average with the only exception being the English Pub Cricketer. The service there was poor. The highlight of Sandals La Toc, is the Dive personnel. The gentlemen running the dive boats were simply TREMENDOUS. They took us to some awesome places where the underwater sea life was spectacular. A First Class Operation... I joked with the dive staff, that their number one priority was to not let Bill Drown. They took wonderful care in what they did and are very much professionals. I remember asking Fruity, "you love your job don't you?", and he replied, "What Job?". They made the trip... We visited the other 2 Sandal resorts on the island and feel the La Toc offers more of a quiet serene setting with gentle sea breezes. It rained twice while we were there and the effect of the rain was wonderful. The first day we were diving near the Pitons and the dive boat crew turned the boat's stern towards the mountains and took our pictures with the Pitons in the background with the rain clouds running through the top of the Pitons. Also note, the cleanliness of our room was also first rate. Another highlight of this trip was being able to meet so many people from around the world and also, getting to know the staff at Sandals La Toc. The people there are a proud and caring group. Overall, a very satisfying experience and we are planning our next trip.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I went to Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia based on a recommendation from our travel agent. We absolutely loved St. Lucia - both the culture and the people! Even though we chose one of the cheaper options for room, we were still very impressed with the accomodations. The room was very clean and the staff was extremely friendly. The "Joe Knows" excursion was an absolute blast and highly recommended. I also want to commend Niecer Suffren, one of the playmakers, at the resort. She is an incredible asset to La Toc and we left as friends. She made our trip extremely enjoyable and we already miss her! The only things we thought could be improved would be the quality of food and more beach chairs (especially those with umbrellas). Thank you to Lisa Zwissler of Beach Bum Vacations for planning our trip!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

WOW! This was the first time my husband and I stayed at a Sandals and it was wonderful! The resort was great, the food was fantastic AND the service was outstanding! A special "thank you" to Elijah at the Dive Shop. You not only got me a dive partner - my husband but you provided me with some updated diving instruction and also made me feel even more confident in my diving ability! Also a very special "thank you" to Linnette (who we nickenamed double the trouble) at the Neptunes Restaurant. Not only was this a great place for lunch and dinner (great spot that overlooks the beach and ocean) but we look forward to seeing you and your smile everyday! A big thank you to the rest of the staff as you are all amazing!!! The beach is great. My only recommendation is for Sandals to provide more umbreallas on the beach. I'm fair skin and the sun is very hot here, so after reading the reviews prior to going, my husband and I brought our own beach umbrella from Canada. We had to cut it down a bit to fit it in the suitcase but this way we didn't have to worry about finding one of the umbrellas and we could sit anywhere we wanted to on the beach, which was great.

Just a note about the Joe Knows excursion - if you dive, Sandals does two dives that are right at the Pitons, so no need to worry, if you think you will miss out on what Joe has to offer, you won't. The diving at the Pitons is really amazing. Joe Knows also goes to the Volcano, if you are extremely sensitive to the smell of sulphur, as I was, I don't recommend it as it can make you feel sick.

Please thank the staff again Sandals for a great experience and a fantastic vacation!!!!!

The Collins

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building (3rd floor) at the back by the gardens and could see the golf course...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!