We stayed here for a week in July 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We also spent 2 nights at their other property, La Dauphine, near the Pitons. As it was the low season, both properties were quiet and we were upgraded at each resort, which was an unexpected surprise. Despite it being the low season, the weather was perfect for most of our stay, only turning rainy on the day we climbed the Gros Piton.
Villa Beach is small but perfectly formed, from the quality of the self catering villas (which have everything you need if you do want to cook your own meals) and their nicely furnished terraces to the little pools, jacuzzi and hammocks, and of course the beautiful beach right on your doorstep!
A Sandals resort is just down the beach. It was quite loud and much busier than our peaceful surroundings, but obviously has all the benefits of a large all-inclusive resort that Villa Beach does not have. We were so glad we chose a small, independent hotel! The owner, Colin, takes an interest in each one of his guests and spends an hour or so talking with them at the beginning of their stay. There probably aren't many resorts with this sort of personal touch.
The staff are friendly and helpful, particularly the drivers. We had the same driver, Claudius, on a number of occasions. He also drove us down to Chateau Laffite, and did a great job as our guide so that we were able to make a fun day of the journey, stopping at the Botanic Gardens, mud baths and several view points on the way down. He also stopped at Ladera so we could have lunch overlooking the Pitons and Jalousie so we could go snorkelling. We had a fantastic day thanks to him.
At La Dauphine, we were upgraded to the Chateau Laffite - the huge colonial house. Antonia has prepared a traditional Caribbean meal for us so we didn't have to worry about cooking or dining out. This old house is very charming and it was a unique experience staying there, if a little scary at night! It needs a bit of TLC, especially the bathroom - the shower was a bit temperamental. The overall experience was a bit like staying at grandparents or elderly relatives (if they lived in a colonial house in the middle of cocoa plantation)! This is not a criticism as we really enjoyed our two nights at La Dauphine. The grounds are amazing and there is a lovely pool. You can also have a guided tour of the working cocoa plantation with the estate manager, Charles - he knows so much!
Our experience of Villa Beach Cottages and La Dauphine is one of peacefulness and relaxation. Don't be put off booking a trip to St Lucia during the low season.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An intimate, boutique, beachfront hotel featuring deluxe fully self-contained one and two bedrooms villa suites nestled among the coconut trees and lush tropical gardens at Choc Bay with panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea and offering comfortable, casual luxury with friendly, impeccable service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Villa Beach Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Beach Cottages Hotel Castries
- Hotel Beach
- Villa Beach Cottages St. Lucia/Castries