“Great Romantic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rendezvous Resort

Save Saved
You added Rendezvous Resort to your Saves list
Rendezvous Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Malabar Beach, Castries 190, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in Castries
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great Romantic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2004

This is a lovely hotel we would recommend it to any one who was thinking of going to St Lucia. We stayed for 10 days in October and upgraded our room to a Garden room, which was the best thing we have ever done. Our room was within 2 meters of the beach and 5 meters to the restaurants and bar, with a giant four-poster bed and its own decked area with hammock. The only drawback would be the entertainment in the evening, which was poor, but it is ideal to be able to relax at the bar and have a few drinks. The restaurant and food were really good as was the water sports facilities and the staff were really friendly. Very romantic hotel.

1,707 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2004

My husband and I went on our honeymoon to this resort and loved it. That was until our last night at the hotel. The resort is all-inclusive but has a special menu you pay extra for and its very romantic. So for our last meal we spent an extra $100 to get food poisoning. The resort failed to let people know that we had scheduled this dinner and did not have it prepared. So they made the dinner quicker than they should have and my husband spent our first night back home in the ER. It has been almost a month since this occurred and after numerous emails and phone call I have not heard from the resort. So I would love to recommend this hotel but after an $1,800 ER bill and 7 days of sick leave taken and not even a phone call to say how sorry they are I cannot recommend this resort.

Stafford, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2004

Let’s not beat around the bush. This is a super hotel with excellent staff and positioned perfectly for seeing the island. Forget about the intermittent disturbance of the planes taking off. A dozen flights a day with about 15 seconds of noise per plane is trivial.

On arrival at the hotel there is the best reception I have ever known with refreshing drinks and moist hand towels for a quick rub down. There is a brief welcome talk and a leaflet giving first day help. Suitcases arrive in the bedroom within about 15 minutes and no tipping is needed. In fact, tipping is discouraged on the island and forbidden in the hotel.

The rooms are divided into 4 types and we were delighted that our request for a ground floor room had been granted, as climbing up to the first or second floor in the evenings with the high temperatures and humidity would have been quite a trial. We had one of the cheapest rooms and were quite happy with it. However, we felt that the extra £6 per night for a patio room would have been worthwhile as the views were better and the patios were really attractive. The sea side rooms did not seem to be as quiet but folks we spoke to liked them, in spite of trees obscuring the views of the sea.

The four poster beds with net canopy was a romantic start and since we were on honeymoon, the flowers, fruit, champagne and congratulatory message in flowers on the bed all made for an excellent impression. The bathroom had both shower and bath and all the necessary soaps, shampoos etc. There were 4 mornings with no hot water but boiling a kettle for my shave was no problem. All tap water is drinkable and is what is used in the bars and for ice so don’t waste money trying to buy bottles of water. The air conditioning in the bedrooms was fearsome and even though we had it on the mildest setting, it really was cool. There is plenty of drawer and cupboard space. A safe and ironing facilities are also available free, together with a tea and coffee tray.

The grounds are superbly manicured each morning and have attractive bushes and the most remarkable and huge trees. Large grassed areas make the gardens relaxing and a pleasure to walk through. At night time, many of them are lit up with fairy lights while the pools have underwater illumination. The free form pool by the sea is the most popular but we were always able to get seats there. It was also easy to find seating round the rectangular pool by the gym. In both of them the water was about 10 inches below the level of the surround. The sunbathing areas round the pools were concrete enclosed by walls so there were no loungers on the grassed areas. These were mainly used for weddings. There are no umbrellas here because the trees and bushes provide enough shade. Keep clear of the coconuts which occasionally fall off the trees ! A couple of girls were sunbathing topless but otherwise the women respected the local custom of keeping tops on. I found that skinny dipping in the gym pool after sunset was a very pleasant way to end the day. Clean towels were provided for the pools or the beach each day so don’t fill your suitcases with towels for the holiday.

A corner of the hotel restaurant and bar juts out into the beach to cut it into two parts. These are patrolled by security staff to stop any riff-raff pestering you and to ensure that your property is safe while you go for meals or a swim. There is plenty of shade on the two beaches from palm trees and shelters. Although all beaches are ostensibly public in St. Lucia, the two by the hotel are effectively private during the week. The sand is beautifully soft although much is refurbished each year. Hurricane Ivan trashed the beach while we were there in September 2004 but it was soon restored by hotel staff and bulldozers. Be sure to understand that in the hurricane season (July-Nov) it probably rains in every 24 hour period. Even if half of these occasions are at night, you still get disruption in the weather patterns. A bar service is provided on the beaches by way of red flags which summon staff who gladly bring you any drinks you want. Quite often, they come round before you put the flags up. As far as we could tell, it was only the non-house wines which cost anything. All liqueurs and other drinks were included in the holiday cost. In fact, you could survive quite nicely without any money for the whole holiday, except for the 54 EC dollars to get out of the country. The shop in the grounds had a good selection of clothes, postcards and medication and everything could be charged to your room account. My wife had a couple of massages by the pool which she thought were wonderful ($25 for 20 mins). Another attractive feature was the absence of any music round the pools or on the beach. The hotel had a classical hour each afternoon inside the hotel bar area and low-level background music at other times. The large screen television was popular on wet days.

We went on two trips which we booked through the Permanent Tours representative in the hotel. He was very informative and just a nice man to talk to. We did the East coast tour with a stop at the Errard plantation estate and a walk through the tropical rain forest. It was a wonderful experience. The other trip was down the West coast to the Botanical Gardens and the volcano crater. The return journey on the catamaran up the West coast was not a success as there was seating in the shade for only 10 out of the 70 people on board. The main disadvantage was the deafening noise of Caribbean music with which the captain insisted on assaulting our ears. The tour reps were excellent and very knowledgeable.

The most memorable aspects of the two weeks we spent at the Rendezvous Hotel were the excellent food and the friendly staff. On both of these fronts, the hotel exceeded anything we had ever experienced before. You should try the a la cart restaurant, The Trysting Place, at least twice because the menu changes every three days. However, the buffet meals were splendid and everyone complained only of the weight they put on during their stay. The maids were so attentive that you felt really well looked after. Overall, the attitude of the staff was warm and welcoming. Because so many people were getting married or were on honeymoon or were there for someone else’s marriage, the whole ambience was one of romance. The sunset walks along the beach followed by champagne cocktails and the in-house entertainment were all contributory factors. The evening entertainment was sometimes a bit loud but overall good fun, especially the steel band evenings.

All in all, the Rendezvous Hotel provides a wonderful romantic setting for a holiday. If you want to contact me for any details, I’d be happy to answer questions. (jeremy.wheeler@freenet.co.uk)

• Stayed September 2004
Portsmouth UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2004

We stayed at the rendezvous for 2 weeks and had a lovely time. On the whole, the holiday was great, but a few things stopped it from being 100%. I agree with the majority of the comments. The airport noise was not obtrusive. I think the extra money for the hellicopter ride from the main airport is worth it. The food in the main dining area is a little repetative, and its well worth booking in to the Trystn restaurant regularly to break the monotony. We stayed in a Verandha Suite. They were spacious, and well maintained, but starting to look a little jaded, especially in the Bathroom. The entertainment did lack quality, but on the whole, was good, and didnt lack enthusiasm. The staff were generally helpful and nice. I would suggest you also take at least one trip to le Sport. But save that until the end of your stay, or you will wish you had booked in their instead. It is considerably better. The watersports are excellent, and the staff there, patient and helpful. We felt completely safe inside the resort, but were threatened once when we went out to the local party night, so I would strongly advise you not to go out in a group. Would I go back? probably not, mainly because I like to try different places, however, there have been some places that I would go back to. Overall, slightly above average.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2004

We just got back in Aug. 2004 from a fantastic stay at the Rendezvous. I was a little concerned when we first pulled up since I'm used to extra large hotels with grand lobbies. But once we saw the grounds, beach, and got settled in, we quickly fell in love. We stayed in the Verandah suite which was absolutely perfect. Lots of room and very quiet plus decorated very nicely. We actually got to be in two other rooms since we got an extra three nights due to airline troubles with Air Jamaica and the tropical storm (get trip insurance if you don't have it!!). One of the other rooms was the seaside suite by the pool. Great location but wouldn't cool off and had a different smell. After spending a week in our lovely Verandah it was a let down and the staff quickly moved us to the Ocean view suite - very nice of them!! The staff was also very gracious in pricing out our extra days. The Ocean view suite was wonderful too since we were on the first floor and walked out right on the beach. The bathroom was quite larger too and had more counter space but how much of your stay are you really in there?We missed the oversized shower in the Verandah too. The ocean view was decorated very nicely too and had a great view of the caribbean sea. But they had louvered doors so it was not as quiet like with rain and planes. In fact in the Verandah we had to look outside to see if it was raining because you really couldn't hear it. But we decided out of all of them we liked the Verandah suite the best for the size and quiet plus our clothes dried faster so it must not have been as humid. Although the a.c. in the ocean view suite really cranked! I guess it just depends if you want to pay extra money for the view or save it for excursions. But the view of the gardens was great from the Verandah too!

The staff knew our names the first night and were always very friendly and helpful. They really did make our stay very pleasurable and enjoyable. Tell Vanessa the bartender and Alva in the piano bar that Dwayne and Dena said hello!
If your big on pillows be sure to request feather from your housekeeper. Another couple couldn't believe they missed out on that one! And our housekeeper was very kind to get us several!!

Yes there are plenty of activities to do if you want or you can be secluded and do nothing. Scuba instructors were great. We dove in Mexico 10 yrs. ago and Mikael was very thorough and patient. I really felt like I knew what I was doing. Do sign up early! They offer intro on M,W, F and on since we arrived on Thurs. night our only option was Mon. and luckily we got one of the last spots. We snorkeled at LeSport and it was beautiful and saw a couple of eels. Food there was good too but the pool was very boring and we missed our swim up bar! We highly recommend the Tout Bagay to show you "a little of everything" and we also did the yacht snorkel trip with some other couples. Great snorkeling - saw squid, baby octopus, barracuda fish and lots of other beautiful fish. I recommend any sea excursion - the view of the island from a distance is breathtaking. The water sports at Rendezvous were lots of fun. I think I screamed the whole time during tubing and the hobie cat sails were nice and a good view of the resort. When you go outside the resort you can catch a local bus around the corner for only 1 e.c. and go to the market or go very far versus pay 20 e.c. for a taxi. We always found the locals very helpful on helping us with where to catch the next bus and which number as long as you don't mind sometimes having a crowded bus.

The food was very yummy and my husband can be pretty particular. We never bored of the buffet. There was always something new and different. Only complaint is the weight we gained from the desserts! But that's our fault because we couldn't resist tasting each one!! It took us till our 8th day to realize that if you don't hop up right after seating for the buffet that they will see your empty table and get your drink order very quickly. Once you have food on the table they think that you already ordered drinks. I guess we were always ready to see what the day brought! The Trysting was fabulous and a nice break from the humidity. We never had any trouble booking reservations and it was very quiet and romantic. But check out the calendar and don't book on bbq beach night. You won't want to miss the steel band entertainment, fire show, calypso dancers and limbo contest!! Cute shirts and yummy rum to win! Our one and only suggestion to the resort on our comment card was to add better ceiling fans above the terrace restaurant and bar. My husband (who is very hot natured) would sweat while eating but we always wrote it off to the humidity. It didn't bother me much. But when we ate at LeSport we realized that you can dine outside very comfortably with better fans and more of them. They had numerous white five blade fans and Rendezvous has a few wicker more decorative ones that barely spun around. The activities board will let you know of the daily contests or you can find a quiet beach chair and relax the day away. By the way we never had any trouble finding a chair in the shade. Maybe they have added a bunch. And the flag service was surprisingly quick which was different than I heard.

Other things we heard...Yes there's a cemetary down the beach but I didn't even know where it was until we were out on the hobbie cat and could see further down. And yes the airplanes are there but they are not bad. How else are people going to get to paradise? Of course we didn't hear them very much in our Verandah suite. I recommend flying into that airport. Our drive from the other one was very nice to see the whole island but we didn't really care to do it twice. The locals are fascinating...I didn't travel all that way to not learn about another part of the world. Plus it is THEIR island. I loved watching them and talking. And of course the vendors will not approach you unless you look interested and they stay back off the property.

We really loved the Rendezvous and St. Lucia really is a beautiful island. We got stuck in Jamaica due to their airline and Jamaica really didn't compare at all. It didn't seem to have even half of St. Lucia's beauty. We even stayed at the Ritz Carlton that night. It was a first class beautiful hotel but I walked out the door and felt like I was in a shopping mall with the crowds, noise, and we always waited on a table!!! It didn't feel like a island resort AT ALL! The grounds were not lush and full of tropical flowers like Rendezvous and our walk from our room to even a restaurant took forever!! It was then that I really knew that the Rendezvous was a very special place for couples and would go back there in a heartbeat! Check them out on rendezvous

• Stayed August 2004
Bedfordshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2004

Have just returned from two weeks vacation at Rendezvous. Found the resort very nice. Accommodation in seafront room, very well kept and the air-conditioning was a godsend. The weather was very humid, there were showers but didn't last long. The food was good but found the lack of any seafood very disappointing. The Trystan restaurant was excellent. The Terrace Restaurant was buffet style with themed nights and the desserts were to die for.

The only criticism we have to make is the aircraft, we presumed this would only be light aircraft and a couple a day. However at 6 a.m. every morning what sounded like a jumbo jet passed over our room and there were lots of aircraft passing over. If you looked hard enough you could see the passengers!!!

The staff were a delight and the entertainment was good, it was improving just as we left which was a shame.

• Stayed July 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2004

We went over to the Rendezvous in St Lucia in March of this year and, in the main, really enjoyed it. The location is beautiful as are the grounds and as the majority of people agree, the airport next door isn't a major problem. We upgraded to a verandah suite and would really recommend it as the room and the verandah are huge and very comfortable. The food is good in both of the restaurants although the guy with the guitar playing the same tunes every night in the Trysting Place gets a bit monotonous. So what are the down sides?
Apart from a small number on the beach which go very quickly, there are no umbrellas. When the guide warns you about being careful in the sun on the first day, it seems a bit daft that neither of the pools provide shade from the sun. A previous reviewer is correct about the staff congregating in the gym while you're trying to excercise (probably trying to keep out of the sun). Don't pay out for the "special" meal advertised. It's no better (and ours was slightly worse) than the normal quality in the trysting place for which you have already paid. The entertainment is OK if you're into a British holiday camp mood. e.g talent competitions and the same two bands playing the same songs most nights. Don't do the island tour unless you like watching real poverty and dealing with very forceful vendors at each pre-destined stop.
As I've said, we had a nice relaxing time at the Rendezvous and they do make an effort to make you welcome but I have had a lot better holiday at other caribbean resorts.

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!