“Fabulous - totally agree with LaurenInThailand's review!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rendezvous Resort

Save Saved
You added Rendezvous Resort to your Saves list
Rendezvous Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Malabar Beach, Castries 190, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in Castries
Halstead, Essex
“Fabulous - totally agree with LaurenInThailand's review!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have just read 'LaurenInThailand's' review and thought I had written it! :) The only difference is that my husband & I stayed in a Verandah room (upgraded by booking through Kuoni) - room 215, which was large with a great balcony and decorated in a typically Carribean style. We made good friends with Ann & Fred who stayed in a renovated garden room which was smaller but nicely decorated and had a new bathroom. Either would be fine in my opinion.

In addition to Lauren's comments:
1) we enjoyed the champagne bar tastings between 7 & 8pm each evening.
2) we preferred the beach over to the right when facing the sea as it was much quieter and no deep shelf walking into the sea, as per the other side of the beach.
3) the A La Carte Trysting restaurant (included in the all inclusive deal but need to book in advance) made a nice change from the other restaurant which was also excellent.
4) I treated my husband to the arrival helicopter transfer for his birthday, which was amazing and highly recommended. Very nice after an 8 hr flight from the UK and we were able to see the rain forest, Pitons, banana plantations etc.
5) The staff were all lovely and welcoming and made a fuss of my husband at breakfast on his birthday with a bottle of bubbles and carafe of fruit juice for buck's fizz and they sang to him. At the Trysting that night, he was presented with a happy birthday chocolate pudding and they sang to him again. We thought this was all very kind but a couple of days later we returned to the room to find a belated happy birthday flower arrangement (beautiful lillies) and another bottle of bubbles. Very generous.
6) the evening entertainment staff were lovely, the dancing and fire-eating night was excellent

We have stayed at many of all-inclusive hotels and found the Rendezvous to be the most generous, they didn't seem to skimp on anything and were anything but mean.

The only couple of slight picky things I can say is that we feel that wearing dress-shorts in the evening to the open-air restaurant should be allowed for men as it is soooo warm there. Also, I thought the General Manager would be a little more visible, (not too much) but we only saw her at the Manager's cocktail evening very briefly. I understand that she allows her team to run the hotel, but a little presence sometimes and asking if we are enjoying our stay I think would go down well.

Well done Rendezvous - I am sure many people will enjoy your hotel as much as we did and we would love to come back once we have visited some other islands!

PS I am sure I could add more positive points, but need to get back to work, lol!

Room Tip: Verandah room on 1st floor (top floor) quieter and spacious. Garden room decor more modern but smal...

1,745 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We researched quite thoroughly before going to this resort and we weren't disappointed! There are many to choose from but f you're looking for a relaxing experience, it comes highly recommended. The drive from the airport was a long one ( no fault of the hotel of course) and as we drove through Castries, we thought we'd have another 20 mins or so to go but then turned into the hotel right at the edge of the town, which I initially found disappointing as I wanted to be away from hustle and bustle. Don't let this trouble you though, as once you're in the resort it feels a world away from its location, the only clues to its proximity to town being the airport for light aircrafts right next door, but again the noise from this didn't bother us. Once in the resort, the whole place is very customer focused and friendly, hotel orientation to maximise your stay was useful so you felt relaxed straight away, and the food was really excellent. Lots of choice of activities to do with staff who are very friendly and knowledgeable, and we didn't rake any extra tours as we felt we got to see enough of the island with the snorkelling and fishing trios that the hotel run, but if you want to relax and do nothing that's easy to do too, with staff respecting your privacy. They go out of their way to make you feel welcome, including an occasion where we missed our scuba lesson and we're offered another one, free of charge, to minimise our disappointment! Above and beyond the call of duty we thought. We went in August which is rainy season but the weather was gorgeous, only a little rainy, and the hotel only half full, which was a bonus. A great trip all round, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this resort.

Room Tip: We had the garden room which had been recently refurbished and they were great, apparently better th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phuket
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have been using Trip Advisor for years to check places out rather than to share knowledge, but I have to comment this time, purely to address the negative reviews as this place really was beautiful and I think a lot of the bad comments are unjustified. Don't get me wrong, I can be quite fussy and I have high standards, but credit where it's due as this was a stunning resort. I hope my comments help someone on the verge of booking in the way that other people's comments helped us.

So, here is our take on the negative bits we read, both before and after visiting last month (Sept 2013):

Noisy frogs - Seriously!? How could anyone complain about this? There is something incredibly cool about being on a tropical island, listening to the sound of frogs (they sound like crickets). It beats Eastenders...

Locals on the beach - Yep, there were a few. No denying that, but there were not hundreds of them by any stretch and at the end of the day, it is their beach and they have the right to be there. It didn't impact our holiday at all

The second airport - Ignore anyone who says this was loud, disturbing etc. This IS NOT an international airport, there are a few flights each day that go across to the neighbouring islands, that's all. All during daylight hours. Personally I quite liked seeing planes island hopping.

The Cemetary - Yes, there is a cemetary to the side of the beach, but so what? It's set back, you don't notice it unless you go looking for it and even then, like I said, so what? It's quite old, they are not having funeral services there and it's not ugly or creepy or anything like that. At the end of the day, would you prefer something quiet like a cemetary, or something busy, like another resort?

Food quality and availability - The food was amazing! I have no idea how anyone could say otherwise. The reviewer that claimed that only about a third of the meals are buffet style is lying. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style each day and five of the seven evenings are too. There are two evenings per week where there is table service and an a la carte menu and truthfully, we preferred the buffet, but the food was still very good and it was only two nights that were like this. I think the theory behind it was that it's a bit more romantic than a buffet - candlelit, with wine etc. There really was nothing wrong with that. There is no room service, but this doesn't make it difficult to get food like someone suggested. From 6am there were coffee and pastries out, breakfast was from 7:30-10:30, then the pastries stayed out till lunchtime (it was either 12-2 or 12:30 - 2:30, I can't remember) then at 4pm there were snacks, sandwiches, pastries, cakes etc. Dinner was 7:30-9:30. I can assure you, we did not struggle for food at all!

Unfriendly staff - They were nothing but accommodating and all very friendly. Everyone bent over backwards to please you.

Birds in the restaurant - We read before we went that there were birds in the restaurant and this ruined someones holiday. Personally, we loved the fact that we were sat at an open air restaurant, meters from the sea. Yes, that means you get the odd bird. No, there are not flocks of them. And frankly, I quite like that I have a photo of us handfeeding birds over breakfast.

Slow wi-fi . Yep, it wasn't great and in our room we had none at all. However, it was absolutely fine from the restaurant and reception area. I hope I never judge a holiday on a Carribean island purely by its wi-fi capabilities...

Room full of wildlife - Well, there was a lizard near our room once. And a bird on the balcony...

Beach not white sand. Sea not turquoise. - I was there in 'rainy season'. The beach wasn't white, but it wasn't too far off. The sea was blue and calm, but not turquoise. It was nice, but not 'perfect' - it may well be at other times of the year though.

Scrambled eggs made from powder - Rubbish. There is an egg station at breakfast where they make whatever you want fresh in front of you, using REAL eggs. Scramled, poached, fried, omlettes etc.

Boring and for 'old people' - We are 33 and 37. There was plenty to do! yoga, pilates, archery, various beach activities each day, water skiing, sailing, kayaking... all included. In the evening there are drinks (lots!!! As much as you can handle), entertainment and a good atmosphere. I can only imagine that the people writing this would be better suited to a busy all-inclusive in the centre of Cancun where they get you drunk from early morning. FYI, if you DID want to drink from early morning you could do quite easily, it's just that you wouldn't be instigating an all-day drinkathon with the rest of the resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 308 which was lovely. We emailed and requested a top floor room after reading othe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortManagementRDV, General Manager at Rendezvous Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your feedback. You obviously spent a good deal of your time writing about your experience and we appreciate it. Your enthusiasm about the reort also comes through and we are very pleased you decided to share as not all of our satisfied guests will post a review.

Yhasmine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I spent 8 glorious days at Rendezvous as part of our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. We chose rendez vous as we wanted a couples- only, chilled out resort that was all inclusive, so we didnt have to worry about paying for food etc when we got here.After a long flight , we were greeted personally by the receptionist who offered us a refreshing drink & cool towels while our bags were immediately taken to our room. The lady wasn't aware that it was our honeymoon & said we would we given a 'honeymoon package'the next day- we didn't receive this but chose not to mention it.
Resort location & beach: rendez vous is located approx 90 mins from the main airport at Castries, and is on a public beach. Some other reviewers mentioned the cemetery - yes, there is a cemetery farther down the beach, but why this would be an issue is beyond us. There is also a small airport nearby from which local flights operate out of; these are small planes and there are only a couple daily. Neither of us consider this an issue- in fact, my husband enjoyed watching the planes fly overhead from the sun lounger! Certainly not a factor worth putting you off booking a resort. The local children sometimes do come down to play in the evenings, mainly to jump from the rocks into the water- harmless fun, and they keep to themselves causing no offence to anyone from what we could see. In any case, it's a public beach which they're entitled to use - not a problem for us. We didn't experience any considerable noise. Some other resorts are built on private beach, but these tend to be considerably more expensive.
Room: We booked a verandah suite which was located on the first floor. The room was spacious, had a nice decking area on the balcony equipped with two sun loungers which offered a nice view of the sea. We liked to chill out there in the evenings and enjoy a drink. The room itself was comfortable; our 4 poster bed was very comfortable and the bathrooms were stocked with beautiful REN toiletries. The room is probably a little dated but we liked it and it was perfectly clean. There was no minibar but to be honest, we didn't even notice!
Food & drink: Rendez Vous is an all-inclusive resort with plenty of food & drink options. Breakfast (buffet) is served on a terrace located right at the seafront with plenty of choice to suit all tastes.Veronica at the ' eggs station' was absolutely lovely, very friendly and cooked us some lovely eggs bendict! Lunch is served between 12:30- 2:30 ; we really liked that lunch options varied every day so you never get tired of eating the same things. For dinner, you can dine at the terrace or at the more formal trysting place which requires reservation (you can dine there as often as you wish).Dinner at the terrace restaurant also varies nightly with huge choice and plenty to eat. We both really enjoyed the variety and the quality of food was fantastic ; we particularly enjoyed the beach bbq. We ate at the Trysting place on two nights and really enjoyed both meals.
Similarly, the drinks options are fantastic and all inclusive. There are a couple of 'house wines' included; if you wish you can pay extra and choose from the managers wine list. We loved the cocktails, the sparkling wine and the champagne. If you do get hungry between lunch and dinner, you can enjoy afternoon tea and the selection of nibbles on offer at the terrace. The champagne bar is the perfect place to visit after dinner and we really enjoyed the live piano.
Pools: Two pools- one pool in the spa water garden, and a second pool with swim up bar. We loved the cocktails served in the pool bar- again, plenty of beverage options here to chose from, all included. If you're on the beach or at the other pool and fancy a drink- no problem, raise a flag and the staff will bring them to you.
Staff: The staff at rendez vous were just lovely. Yes, they can be a little relaxed at times, but so friendly and warm. Some of the friendliest staff we've ever come across.
Activities: We were too lazy to participate in the daily activities at rendez vous / sporting activities so we can't really comment on this! The staff would call around to us at the poolside area and invite guests to join in- if you'd rather chill out, no problem, no pressure.
All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would love to return on an anniversary. The best features of rendez vous are the great quality and range of food & drink on offer, the friendly staff & great service- we felt totally relaxed, loved every minute and would certainly return.

Grantown-on-Spey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had 10 days at Rendezvous taking advantage of their free wedding service followed by a honeymoon.
We only wanted this basic package, but we were surprised at what we got, a fantastic deal. We paid extra for a basic photo package, but this is personal choice.

We cannot understand some of the negative comments.

Yes, there is a cemetery just along the beach, but you find these in all UK towns & cities. It is not unsightly or offensive.
Yes, there is a small airport next door, but there are only a few flights a day, no jets only turbo-props, so not that noisy. We actually enjoyed the few daily take-offs.
The beach is a public one & the locals use it, particularly at week-ends. Children are occasionally around but we never witnessed any noise or rowdy behaviour, they were a pleasure to watch. Lets face it we are visitors to their beautiful island!

This a great resort for couples only. Good food, as much drink as you want, and all served efficiently with a smile. Despite this we did not witness any drunken behaviour. The staff are the best I have ever known, it is not fair to single out anyone in particular.

We must give our very special thanks to Karen Stephen, our wedding co-ordinator, she was FANTASTIC.

Do not be put off by the relatively few negative reviews, try it , you will enjoy.

Room Tip: Premium Garden View rooms are recently re-furbished. Super King-size bed, very comfortable. Excellen...
Leighton Buzzard
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Hubby and I spent 2 weeks' holiday there in September 2013. We had a wonderful time. We chose this place because it's a small-ish resort for adults only. It's the perfect size for us. You get everything you need and it's quiet and peaceful.

Room - We stayed in the newly refurbished premier garden view room. It's stylish and modern. It has a massive bed which is very comfortable. Shower is great. It also has ice in the room everyday. It's not the biggest room we stayed in but we spent all day outdoors so it doesn't matter. The only glitch is that the air con in our room was a bit dodgy. We set the temperature at 19c but it never reaches that. Most of the time is around 22c which is a bit warm. It also stops working completely for random amount of time and temperature shoots up to 25c. When we were about to call reception, it came back on again. So we couldn't quite decide if it's faulty or not, certainly couldn't prove it. On the 2nd last night, it finally packed up and smelled a bit smoky. We had to spent a night in another room. The hotel dealt with it quickly so it's not too much of a problem. We thought it was fixed the next day but it stopped working again at 1am on our last night. We couldn't be bothered as it's late at night so slept in a hot room. Never done that before in a tropical place!

Food - Quality and selection are both good. Breakfast chef was great! Skillful and cheerful. Nice to see a smiley face every morning. Sausages for breakfast are ok but could be of better quality (like the real meaty ones). They serve different food everyday for the week. But the 2nd week is a repeat of the first one. Even so, we still enjoyed it. Service are very good most of the time. Occassionally it's a bit slow when they are short of staff. The restaurant if very fancy. Quality food and excellent service. BBQ night is fun. I wish there are more shell fish. Normally by the sea you get lots of prawns and crabs. There isn't any on the buffet.

Drinks - Can't fault it. You can have almost anything you can think of. Champange hour at 7 - 8pm is a great idea.

Pool - 2 swimming pools are both lovely. One with swim up bar and one you can just chill out in. There are always plenty of sunbeds around and you will never struggle to find a good seat.

Service - Everybody is so friendly. Trevor who brings drink to your sunbeds is such a superstar. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who works that hard. He is attentive, proactive and friendly. I think he should be employee of the month every month!

Spa - We had 2 massages and they are brilliant. Worth every penny. The place is tranquil and relaxing, just like what a spa should be.

Entertainment - A lot of lovely people work hard to keep people entertained. You can be as active as you like and they will also leave you alone if you don't fancy doing much. Josie is such a lovely girl. She is full of energy and will always put a smile on your face. Guitarists and pianists are amazing. They are true artists.

It's certainly one of the best holidays we had and we would highly recommend this resort for couples.

Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The resort itself is fine, food is OK except the BBQ nights....unless you like undercooked meat! A previous reviewer who was clearly at the resort the same time as us walked out of the Trysting Place restaurant. Our experience of that restaurant was totally different. The food quality was very good and the service was excellent, we ate there twice and would have eaten there every evening if possible. You have to book this restaurant up to 2 days in advance....it is very popular and there is no additional charge. We had a beach front room which was handy for the beach. We had the courtesy gowns and slippers and the bed turn down service which some reviewers appear not to have had. The room was a little tired looking but we liked it and the air conditioning was efficient and not too noisy. Noise however was a bit of a problem to us. We chose this hotel as it was advertised as couples only, no children and a good place to relax and chill out. However, the beaches are public beaches and the local children turn up in large numbers particularly at week-ends. They seem to delight in mainly occupying the beach space right in front of the resort residents.....because they can I guess but you can imagine the noise, they are very loud and shout and scream to each other. Some bring dogs which are then tied to nearby shrubbs and bark continuously. From time to time some bring horses which to my untrained eye look to be barely under control and potentially dangerous to beach users if not un hygenic. These locals are allowed to use the beach so shouldn't really critisise them but it would have been nice to know before we went as we really wanted some peace and quiet. At night the noise from the resident critters, frogs, roaches etc is a right cocopheny and with no glass in the rear door to our room was somewhat disturbing at night. I am told the garden rooms are all completely glazed and the noise at night is not a problem but our room was not so protected. So tranquil and quiet it is not but having said all that we did enjoy the resort overall and will probably return at some stage but not to a beach front room. As regards the "Chav" type behaviour described by some previous reviewers, yes there was some of that and you can generally find them around the bars, but I guess you will get those type of people wherever you go. It was only a few so not a real issue, don't be put off by these type of comments, it had no significant impact on our stay. There is a rule about dress standards for the evening restaurants particularly. i.e. long trousers for men etc. Most people make the effort but there are always the few who turn up in shorts and flip flops which irritated me a little. If there are rules, enforce them, if someone turns up in shorts, tell them to go and change. If these rules are not going to be enforced, scrap the rules. As I said, despite the irritations I have mentioned, this is a good resort and the staff are wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble and they are very polite.

Room Tip: Go for a garden view room they look newer and are apparently quieter at night. Some renovation/build...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!