“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rendezvous Resort

You added Rendezvous Resort to your Saves list
Rendezvous Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Malabar Beach, Castries 190, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Castries
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This was a beautiful resort upon a beautiful island.

The staff were great, friendly and respectful if you just wanted to sun yourself and relax in peace.

The land and sea safari was superb, Romain aka Lettuce was a wonderful guide, both knowledgable and entertaining. A fantastic way to see and understand the island. Who knew pineapples took so long to grow and that cashew nuts came off of fruit the size of mangoes!?

The food was varied and of a high standard. They often showcased local produce and cuisine but not so prominent that you had no other choices. Different themes every night and a changing menu at the a la carte restaurant meant plenty of variety.

Word of warning, if you are a light sleeper you will want to take ear plugs. The noise from the local tree frogs is quite something at night!

Loved every minute. Ignore the bad reviews regarding planes, hardly noticed and the graveyard is discreet and well away from the resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We don't need to say much everyone else has said it all.

Great hotel, great staff, beautiful grounds, good food, Verandah Suite Upper level fantastic big rooms with great verandahs, might need a bit of updating but in true caribbean colours.

We have had a few holidays at Le Sport and loved it but didn't even bother to take the opportunity to spend a day there we were so comfortable at Rendezvous.

Nothing negative to say..we will definetly return.

No need to take travel adapters from England

Room Tip: Verandah,upper floor large verandah which is great in the morning with a cup of coffee !!
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Second visit; still excellent; staff friendly; facilities first class love the swim up bar and the excellent water sports; food always good and entertainment just right for us;Piano bar so cool and friendly met some great people. Nice upgrade to Verandah room :) Thanks Expedia? Hotel can sort hotel transfers via email excellent. Will go back again; it is our special place.

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We have just returned from 2 weeks holiday at the Rendezvous, St. Lucia.
Everything was excellent, the accommodation, staff (very friendly and helpful).
The gardens were so beautiful, as was the beach. Plenty of sunbeds etc.
This Hotel ticks all the boxes and we will certainly go there again. l
The entertainment team were very talented. The games on the beach were very funny and popular. The evening entertainment was varied and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms have just been refurbished and they are excellent although all grades of room are...
West Sussex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Fate, karma, kismet, divine intervention? Nope, I don’t believe a word of any of it.

That said, I do thank whatever form of providence it was that fetched me up at the Rendezvous in Castries for just 18 hours. It is simply one of the nicest Caribbean hotels I’ve ever visited. Gather ‘round friends, for I have a story to tell...

I’d been in St Lucia for a week on business and, given that it was still the wet season, I was looking forward to getting home. My colleagues and I had booked our taxi so that we would have the absolute minimum time spent hanging around the entertainment-free airport terminal at Vieux Fort. It was literally a case of dumping our bags at check-in, proceeding through the boarding controls, buying a rum cake in duty free and then walking out on to the expanse of tarmac, enjoying the tropical heat one last time before climbing the steps up to the over-air-conditioned discomfort of an ageing Boeing 747. Having settled down and listened to the usual flannel about how the life jacket would be of use if the ancient airframe dropped into the ocean at terminal velocity, the aircraft started moving and then stopped again.

Five hours later the driver told us that the ‘plane was broke and couldn’t be fixed until the next day. I exaggerate a little for comic effect since the crew did keep us fully informed, but the end result was the same – Five hours trapped on an aircraft with no hope of a proper drink to ease the pain.

So we eventually traipsed back to the terminal to collect our luggage, and this is where Lady Luck smiled kindly on Mrs Cheapbutdemanding Senior’s eldest son, since our late arrival for check-in resulted in my bag being the very first to appear at baggage reclaim. This in turn meant that I was first in the queue for the hotels...

I was hopeful that this would also mean that we would stay relatively close to the airport, rather than having to retrace our steps back up over the mountains to the north of the island. As it turned out a gobby women with a perfectly happy looking little girl demanded that she and her family be seen to first as her child would explode if she wasn’t accommodated immediately. She and her stressed-looking husband were thus given the last room in the Coconut Bay Resort and Spa, just a short drive away. So it was with a heavy heart that, having been told the nearest available room was an hour’s drive away in Castries, my colleagues and I went by taxi into the drizzle-filled darkness.

After what seemed like an eternity, but was only 60 minutes, we drove past the rain-slicked expanse of tarmac that is F L Charles Airport, took a left and pulled into what appeared to be a rain forest. This is Rendezvous, and arriving at night couldn’t be more dramatic – huge palms and other assorted tropical trees are stunningly illuminated by up-lighters and candelabra which dangle from the branches.

We were greeted warmly like the waifs and strays that we were, being checked in quickly and escorted to our rooms to settle in for what was only to be the briefest of stays. Normally I take a few photos of the room as soon as I get into it (so I can mentally recreate that first impression later on.) Not this time though – I was tired, irritable and the chinos I had been wearing for the flight were crumpled and uncomfortable, so I did what any other sensible person would do: I put some shorts on and went in search of the all-inclusive bar...

It was half an hour shy of midnight when I ambled in seeking a large G&T to climb outside of, and the place was airy and peaceful, the gentle swash of waves against the beach punctuating the darkness beyond the edge of the veranda. I was mildly concerned when the bartender told me that he would be shutting at twelve, so I invited him to build me another drink whilst I frantically rang one of my colleagues to tell him the potentially upsetting news.

As it turned out my fears that relaxation after a particularly demanding afternoon was to be denied me were unfounded – As he shut up shop the barman disclosed the existence of the Piano Bar, and the fact that it was open “until the last couple retires for the night”. This is of course a hotel that normally caters for pairs, so m’colleague and I looked at one another – two middle-aged, slightly dishevelled business travellers – and decided to chance our respective arms and see if we could pass for a couple. At least sufficiently loved-up so that the staff in the Piano Bar wouldn’t deny us service...

The Piano Bar is small but rather elegant and to be honest I felt a little underdressed in my linen shorts and flip-flops; however we were welcomed without reservation and were able to stay long enough to reach a sufficiently advanced stage of refreshment to blot out the tragic afternoon and evening that we had experienced.

And so to bed... The rain had stopped and the sun was shining when I awoke the next morning. My last meal had been the airline “food” that I had been forced to endure without access to the aircraft bar as we had sat listlessly on the apron the night before, so I was fairly famished. Thus it was that I made my way through gardens that are nearly as stunning in daylight as they are after dark, and presented myself in fairly short order for breakfast in the dining area adjoining the bar that I had frequented just a few hours earlier.

Since I very rarely get to stay in all-inclusive places at these days, I generally write TripAdvisor reviews that pay a disproportionate amount of attention to breakfast, what with it being the only meal I get to have in the hotel. Many have been the rants that I have committed to the keyboard in my insistence that a hotel breakfast doesn’t have to be mediocre and disappointing.

Like everything else at the Rendezvous though, breakfast was just simply very good indeed – enough choice for the most fastidious diner (without going to the monstrously wasteful lengths that much larger hotels have to go to) presented in serene surroundings. The hot buffet was, thanks to regular replenishment from the kitchen, actually hot, and a very business-like but friendly lady efficiently cooked eggs and omelettes to order. I got to repeat this whole experience just four hours later at lunch, which was equally tasty and tasteful. And there was plentiful wine. Splendid.

What with the short gap between meals and there being a taxi looming on the horizon to take us back to Hewanorra, there was insufficient time for me to apply myself to doing anything else other than assessing my surroundings. So here we have it, just twelve hundred words into this hotel review, I’ll tell you what this hotel is like:

You already know that the grounds are glorious and extremely well kept. There are a number of different types of room, the style dependant on where and when they were built. Cute little bungalows by the beach-front pool, garden chalets surrounded by exotic flora or low-rise apartments with amazing balcony towers overlooking the beach - all look wonderful.

Oh yes – I nearly forgot: My own room! If this was basic accommodation forced upon someone whose aeroplane wasn’t working, then this was more than acceptable – I peered into several other rooms as I explored the grounds and they all seemed of a similar standard. By the way – if you were the gentleman who I inadvertently looked in on during my recce; you might want to get it looked at – it is a funny colour and should certainly not hang like that. Anyway, I digress (again); my own room was modestly proportioned but opulently furnished – A lounge-bedroom leading to a small dressing room and very nice bathroom, complete with all amenities. There was no television in the room which was actually a little refreshing since there is very rarely anything worth watching on hotel television, but fits very nicely with the couples-style of the establishment. There is an iPod dock and speakers though, which fits even more.

As we wander out from my room into the gardens we find tennis facilities, two swimming pools and a very agreeable stretch of beach. There are plenty of sun beds and waiter service with those cute little flags that you shove in the sand to indicate to the staff that you need more rum punch. The only thing that I can possibly see as being potentially disagreeable is the proximity to F L Charles Airport. This means that maybe once or twice an hour an inter-island shuttle or other light aircraft takes off. Given that the largest of these will be a LIAT Dash-8, a twin turbo-prop (how much of a nerd am I?), all this really does is remind you that you are in the Caribbean. There was some building work going on as well, but it was all screened off and didn't impact on my own brief visit.

Departure came too quickly for me to tell you what the place is like of an evening, but I have little doubt that it is like everything else about the Rendezvous – tasteful, understated and sophisticated. The only thing that ruined it for me was that Mrs Cheapbutdemanding wasn’t here to share it with me.

Thank you for your attention. That is (finally) all. Carry on.

Room Tip: Closer to the beach for better views, but they all look really good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Having chosen to get married abroad my (now wife) and I done a lot of research on finding a place that would tick all the boxes for a dream wedding.

Having just returned from the Rendezvous I can honestly say that not only were our dreams fulfilled but in many ways exceeded. Having arrived at the hotel we were personally welcomed and immediately taken for a drink in the bar lounge and they knew immediately that we were there for a wedding and put at ease straight away. Being couples only, everything is geared to romance and true relaxation. I cannot honestly recommend enough the hotel and the memories will live with us forever. Therefore in summary:
The Location
The Rendezvous Resort is situated right on the beach. It has 3 wonderful pools including a secluded lazy river pool that allows you to find a secluded sunbathing spot with for all intents your own personal bathing pool surrounded by exotic plants and trees with humming birds and the sound of gentle running water. Drinks from the bar are no problem as a barman comes around every 15 minutes to ensure you are topped up with drinks.

The beach has beautiful sand with sun beds that have their own flags to signal that you want another drink from the bar. Again simple waiter service. Some of the people still insist on getting up early to put a towel on the sun beds but we found there are still plenty to go round. There are also several spots for getting dry towels and placing your old ones when used. Again a nice touch.

There are beautiful gardens to walk around, randomly placed hammocks and the place is exceptionally clean.

The Staff
The staff are exceptionally friendly and if it is within their power to do something for you they will. They knew our names within the hour and always had a smile and a hello. Whenever you said thank you, they always said 'no problem' which seemed an automatic response and a very nice touch.

The Room
Our room was Huge. We had room 346 which is one of the three largest rooms. It had a four poster as well as a huge corner suite. The bathroom had a stand alone bath and a shower. There is a safe as well as ample space for clothes etc. The balcony overlooked the beach and had its own hammock as well as a couples round lounger it was idyllic. Again exceptionally clean.

Evening Entertainment
Every night there was something on in the bar area and the entertainment was adequate with some good groups and some dancing to be had. You could always slip into the piano bar for some free champagne or any other drink you wanted.

The Food
We worked out that during daylight hours there was only two hours where you could not get food. Also the food was of superior quality the only problem being was what to have. Breakfast was buffet style and covered everything from fruit to a full cooked breakfast, handmade pancakes or the chef’s special of the day cooked in front of you. Lunch was another huge buffet with everything from hot or cold meals, afternoon tea was sandwiches and cakes and dinner was another huge buffet. For that extra special evening you could go to the restaurant and have a sit down 5 course meal at no extra charge. All you had to do was book in the morning. Needless to say I came back larger than I arrived!

Getting Married
The wedding co-ordinator took away all the hassle and stress and made our day really special. She accommodated where we wanted to get married (on the beach gazebo) arranged the flowers, the drinks and all the legal stuff. All we had to do was turn up enjoy the experience and sign a few documents. My wife had a hairdresser come to her room in the morning and help her get ready. The Minister gave us a wonderful service that will stick in our minds forever and we felt like the most important people at the resort for that day. We were applauded when we went into the restaurant, serenaded by the guitarist during our meal and went back to champagne in our room and a bed decorated with flower petals. We even had a tray with a huge breakfast brought to our room the next day. An absolutely perfect day.

Overall
The Rendezvous has left a memory in our minds and hearts that will live with us forever. I cannot find fault with anything and would recommend the experience to anyone. If you want a perfect wedding with no hassle, a perfect location, great food and wonderful staff book your ticket now.

Room Tip: Rooms 146, 246 or 346 are the best and largest.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Our expectations of this holiday were huge. It was booked to celebrate 25 years of marriage and to make up for a disastrous honeymoon all that time ago. Plus for various reasons work, family etc we were abolutely exhusted and in need of proper R and R. The rendezvous pretty much delivered in all areas. From the moment we arrived and were greeted with refreshing cocktails and cold towels we new our decision was the right one.
We had booked a luxury seafront suite and it truly was. Complimentary, champagne, flowers and the most enormous bed I have ever seen greeted us, but more importantly it was impeccably clean and welcoming. Nothing was to much trouble.
We dined in both restaurants but to be honest preferred the atmosphere in the main terrace restaurant to that in the supposedly more exclusive Trysting restaurant. In our opinion the food was no better, and the decor seemed to be stuck in the 1980's. However in both restaurants the service was exceptional. Just a note to the gentlemen,its preferred if you wear long trousers in both restaurants in the evening.
For us the real gem of the rendezvous was the beach. The wonderful loungers and the fantastic service from the staff who were just so attentive without being intrusive to our needs was just wonderful. I couldnt praise them or it enough. We truly were able to relax, which was just what we wanted. Yes there are local sellers on the beach but if you say no they will go way, but do make time to talk to Mitchum the Rastafarian. A very interesting and wise man.
We didn't leave the hotel much but did book the whale/dolphin watching trip via the hotel. This also proved to be a good move as our tour rep was rubbish. We also booked a local taxi to take us to Castries where we visited the market, cathedral and generally got a taste of the town. A word of warning here, dont make the mistake we did and stray away from the centre which you can very quickly do. Although you will see the real city as we have subsequently been told it is not very safe for tourists and we were certainly getting looks that made my husband in particular feel uncomfortable.
To sum it up this was booked as the holiday of a lifetime. Trouble is we now want another one, so I guess the saving has to start right away. We will return not only to the stunning sland that is St Lucia but also to the Rendezvous.

Stayed October 2012

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!