“Spices and Rum” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Shopping in Castries
Type: Flea/ Street Markets, Shopping
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: A lively and colorful market bursting with tropical fruit and vegetables.
Goa
11 attraction reviews
“Spices and Rum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

A nice market in the heart of the city. Lots of restaurants in the area serving local food. Many stalls in the market selling all different types of spices and Local Rum.

Visited October 2013

• Polish first
Swanage
7 attraction reviews
“Lots of Souvenirs, but Hard to Browse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I went there twice. There was lots of stuff to buy, from spiced rum to wood carvings and lots of fun jewellery. I intended to do some early Christmas shopping there, picking up fun trinkets, but the second time I went there were no cruise ships in so we were practically the only tourists and got hustled the minute we looked at anything, so I moved on quickly and came away almost empty-handed. So oddly, my advice is to go when it is packed so that you have a chance to look at things in your own time.

Naples, Florida
38 attraction reviews
“Didn't much care for this market.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

While in St. Lucia for the day on a cruise we went to this market and the one across the street. While i did buy a t-shirt, I liked this market the least of any we went to on the 6 island tour. I found the vendors to be mildly aggressive and would follow you after you said no, trying to get you to buy something. Also almost every stall had the same basic items so it became redundant saying no to almost everyone.

Bath
6 attraction reviews
“Worth a look”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

such a contrast between the duty free mall that is enticing the rich cruise ship passengers that stop for a day trip to St Lucia versus the poverty of life in Castries market (the 2 and next door to each other). As said by many before the stalls all seem to sell the same mix and match of local produce and crafts. Take a Piton beer in one of the small bars and people watch. Worth a visit...

Fort Worth, Texas
“Chritmas Shopping at Castries market in St. Lucia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I just returned yesterday from my second visit to St. Lucia in 3 months. Love the Island, love the people. I have read some of the reviews from others on here stating they felt unsafe. I have never felt threatened here, and have shopped 2 times with my daughters, and this last time alone. I took a taxi from my resort to the Castries market to purchase Christmas gifts for family and friends. The people are there to make money not to entertain rude tourists. I knew before going what I was looking for. One of the vendors and I had a good little visit, and realized we shared the same birthday. They are great people and as I said before I have never felt unsafe or threatened at this market. They have good quality locally made items for sale in the market. Local spices, T-shirts, beautiful baskets and wood carvings. Take the time to visit with them, they love to tell you about their great Island and culture, even how the products they sell are made. After returning home, my daughter wanted some of the spice baskets I purchased to give as Christmas gifts...wish I had purchased more...

Visited October 2013