“Stunning” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Castries
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had the perfect family winter break at Windjammer. The villa was excellent - very spacious, clean and with beautiful views - and we found the food in all of the resort restaurants to be fantastic. Great watersports (and plenty of sun loungers too if that's not your thing!) and a lively scene at the beachfront bar in the evenings. Everyone we met (staff and other guests) were really friendly - many of them had been coming for years.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

1,463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I booked a 6 day stay in a 3 bedroom villa for the second week of December for the primary purpose of attending a destination wedding at another resort. Due to the short notice, we quickly reserved the villa after reading a few reviews. When I initially booked the trip, I was skeptical even though many of the reviews rated the resort highly. Although this was my first time in St. Lucia, I’ve traveled to a number of Caribbean islands in the past and stayed at both the chain all inclusive as well as high-end residential resorts but I have concluded that the Windjammer is now my #1 favorite Caribbean destination. Upon arrival at UVF, a very easy airport to navigate, we proceeded quickly through customs and to the Budget auto rental window to obtain our reserved rental. After a about 25 minutes of paperwork and waiting on our car to arrive we were loaded and on our way. I will note that we did not find driving in St. Lucia as problematic as some of the other reviews have indicated. If you have ever driven through mountains on narrow country roads, you’ll be fine but if well marked freeways are your thing you may struggle. Prior experience with right hand drive is likely beneficial as well. The trip from the airport to the Windjammer took about an hour and a half. I did a significant amount of landmark navigation via Google earth ahead of time and good thing I did. The maps that came with the car were not that detailed and the roads were not marked well at all but luckily I was on the lookout for the Windjammer after passing the Glace supermarket and noticed the sign (it was not well lit or very noticeable- a true understatement of what was to come) and you cannot see the resort from the highway.

After turning off the Castries Gros-Islet Hwy, we followed a one lane road about a mile and arrived at the Windjammer gate and were promptly directed to the lobby. After about a 15 minute check in process we were escorted to villa 35, a 3 bed, 3 bath villa on 3 levels. The top floor (which was level with the road) contained the kitchen, living, dining and balcony. The middle floor had 2 bedrooms and 2 baths and the bottom floor had 1 bed and bath with French doors opening onto a patio and plunge pool. The villa was well equipped in every way. Even though many of the reviews indicated only the bedrooms had air conditioning, villa 35 was air conditioned and had windows (except for the bathrooms) throughout. The tile floors, rough hewn wood and overall architecture of the resort was fantastic and an excellent blend of Caribbean and European style. We did not opt for the all inclusive package so we made a quick trip our first morning to the Super J and stocked up on breakfast, lunch and snacks for the week. Every room in the villa truly had awe inspiring views. On a few occasions I walked down to the beach just to take in more of the scenery but we never had to wait more than a few minutes on a shuttle to and from the villa. We found the grounds and beach to be very well maintained. During our stay we dined at Jammers (dinner on night 1), Dragonfly (breakfast on morning 1), Embers (lunch, snacks and beers occasionally from the beach) and Papa Dons (dinner on night 4). We found all of the restaurants on the property to be great, the staff was attentive and food was excellent. As noted in some of the other reviews, we did encounter a few cats while dining but no one in our party found it to be a significant issue.

While at the Windjammer, we also booked 3 excursions through the resort concierge- the catamaran cruise to Soufriere and the Pitons, SCUBA and a rainforest tour. The catamaran tour, through Jammers Day Sail, lasted the entire day and was awesome. The tour down the coast provided for hundreds of great photo opportunities, once in Soufriere we took in a waterfall, volcano, lunch/ tour at a coca plantation and plenty of pics of the Pitons. On the trip back, the cat stooped at a few locations for snorkeling and photos in Marigot Bay. Overall, I highly recommend this. Two of us did a 2 tank dive excursion through Eastern Caribbean Divers via the Windjammer and highly recommend that as well if you’re certified. The Anse La Raye wall and 165 foot freighter were awesome dives and the dive master and crew were great. The other 3 of the gang did the rainforest tour and reported back it was also excellent. The majority of the trip was spent taking it easy and enjoying the view from the villa and spending time in the sand. The beach is large enough that it was never crowded, clean and free from rastas aggressively pedaling their goods. The sea is calm and warm and while the water is not as clear as some may expect, it is still beautiful and not overly murky.

The Windjammer is in a perfect location, it is secluded in a lush tropical private bay and the villas blend seamlessly into the hillside for a truly picturesque view from any angle. However, you are only a few minutes from the Super J and Mega J shopping centers for groceries, beer and wine as well as shopping and dining in Rodney Bay and Castries. Many of our evenings were spent at various restaurants (Charthouse, Chef Xavier’s, the Bread Basket etc) and shopping outlets in Rodney Bay.

While the stay was excellent, its worth noting that we had a few minor issues that the resort resolved quickly, one of which involved an AC unit and ceiling fan both going out within minutes of each other but within 10 minutes of calling the front desk, all was repaired. The only downside was that I wish our pool had been situated to have direct sunlight but given the design of the unit the pool was on a covered patio but still provided for some terrific sunset views.

Overall, when compared to other resorts where I have previously stayed, the Windjammer is worthy of the highest of ratings. I found that unlike some of the Sandals resorts, the pictures on the Windjammer website were very indicative of the grounds, villas and amenities, I felt less “trapped” and also got more value for my money. While compared to, for example, the private residences with plunge pools at the Crane in Barbados, clearly the Windjammer villas are not as luxurious or modern but when considering the environment, architecture and style of the resort, I felt just as at home at the Windjammer as I have other more expensive/ high-end resorts at a fraction of the cost. I also want to note that on our drive back to UVF, we took our time and stopped a number of times along the way for pictures and lunch in the village of Dennery at the Tjwizin Mele (what a view). Overall, our experiences at the Windjammer were great in every way and envision future family trips back- several of us are already checking our 2014 calendars. If you’re planning a trip to St Lucia, I highly recommend that you consider the Windjammer for a truly awesome Caribbean experience.

Room Tip: You may want to call about 2 to 3 weeks prior to arrival for room details. The higher up, the bet...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

we have just returned from 10 days at the Windjammer and felt compelled to write a review to say thank you for giving my family a holiday to remember. We found every member of staff; delightful and helpful. We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa, which was perfect for our needs. We took full advantage of all the water sports as well as pure relaxation on the beautiful beach. The food was very good, especially Papa Dons and the Upper Deck. Our ambassador Charlene was incredible and always available to help us with any requests Nothing was too much trouble. Romanus treated us to a fantastic snorkeling experience and all the guys from water sports team were helpful and fun. We would return without hesitation and recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great family holiday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Castries, St. Lucia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

After an unforeseen storm which crippled a lot of the infrastructure on the Island, I have never seen a group of people work so hard to ensure we were comfortable.
Overall we are having a great vacation, lots of activities, great food and a staff who really catered to us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jacqueline J, French Market Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Hello Don S. Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you had a great vacation. All the best to you and your family.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I didn't actually stay at the resort but went there on a Day Pass from the cruise ship I was travelling on round the Caribbean. I have to say our group of 20 or so mostly older British people were made to feel very welcome.

We managed to get a couple of hours on the beach before the inevitable downpour which sent the crowds scurrying to the restaurants which dealt with the rush pretty well and served up a perfectly acceptable lunch. After that, my partner took to the pool while I got talking to John and Sherani - I should have taken the job offer, guys !!

Anyway, John is the worst weather forecaster I have ever met but he knows his rum and the whole place has a wonderful relaxed vibe which I didn't find easy to leave. All in all, a great day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Booked this last minute (as per my usual).

Type of resort:
It was definitely a couples and family resort.
Got a few strange looks form the waiters when I told them I was dining alone, but after the first encounter, they just smiled. Do believe I was the only solo traveler there that week, but it did not matter. I chatted with other guests and the staff and before you know it, I was being invited to dine at dinner with various people. (It is what you make of it)

Location
Volcanic island, thus very small stretches of beach, however the one here at Windjammers is very nice. It is built on a slope, so it can be a workout, or if you take it slow a nice way of exercising. In any case, if not, the shuttles are very efficient.

Rooms
I had a regular room (ocean view room) which was part of a duplex. It was fine, though I would have appreciated a desk to put my laptop on. Internet connection worked well in my room
The room at the bottom had a patio that gave right off of their room. I had the room on the second floor. I had to walk up the stairs for a roof sundeck terrace. The view was beautiful and it was very private. I really enjoyed it.
The only thing that I found unnerving at first was that these two room also connected via another stairwell in my room, that only had a door at the bottom of it. Locked with a non-existent key. The sound insulation was not very good. I could hear the guy downstairs no problem. Would be reassuring to also have a door at the top of the stairs which you can lock yourself.

Food / AI billing
The food was excellent at the Upper Deck and Poppa Dom's, and good at the other restaurants.
The billing at first was a little confusing as I was in the All Inclusive, but I asked the first waitress and she was kind enough to explain it to me. There is a service charge included already, and if you want to tip more, than that is the only thing that appears on your bill at check-out. No issues at check-out with the billing.

Staff
I found the staff very friendly and always trying to be helpful. By all means, sometimes you can tell they are having a bad day, but does that not happen to all of us? BIg shout goes out to Julia and Samantha at Poppa Dom's, Winston at the activities area, Randy at breakfast and Ernst at the bar.

SpA
Because there was construction going on (which did not disturb me at all, unless you wanted to sleep in really late), they hotel offered us credit which we are able to use at the SpA. I had a divine deep-tissue massage. not one of those fluffy things, thus was very satisfied. This was a nice gesture during construction.

Activities
I am a diver thus was out diving 4 days with the local company on-site "Eastern Caribbean Divers" (see separate review) and would recommend them.
The big inflatable chair ride they give at the end of the day (Big Bubba) is a hoot. They will also take you out water-skiing and knee boarding which was good.

Overall beautiful resort. I would recommend it for couples and families.

Room Tip: If you want a private sundeck and view, ask for the top duplex "oceanview" rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

First off, I would like to send my regards in relation to the horrible storm St Lucia and the surrounding islands suffered through a few days ago. It is truly a great place with great people and I hope their recovery is quick and smooth.

We stayed at the Windjammer during the first phase of our honeymoon from November 25 to December 1. The staff was absolutely fantastic and very helpful with organizing dinner, tours and water sports. As a nice honeymoon surprise, we received a plateful of chocolates and were upgraded to a two bedroom villa with a fantastic view of the Caribbean sunset and a private pool.

We took the horseback riding tour at the International Pony Club, which took us from Gros Islet down INTO the Atlantic Ocean; went on a beautiful sunset cruise from the resort up to the Gros Islet/Pigeon Island area; and took on an abundance of water sports (jet skiing, water skiing, kayaking, paddle boating and snorkeling). The snorkeling in particular is worth elaborating on. We had never been snorkeling before so we went on both the 11am and 2pm tours, and were not disappointed. Both trips took us to secluded coves that were littered with schools of fish, sea urchins and even a conch shell graveyard. Really fantastic.

The food is about what you would expect out of an all inclusive resort. Nothing spectacular but nothing to complain about (Papa Don's and Upper Deck are the best). The drinks at the beach hut and pool bar, however, were filled with a generous amount of alcohol. A few daiquiris on the sandy beach definitely reek of paradise. Nightly entertainment was also great with a few nice bands, resort happy hours and a limbo/fire dance show. We were also able to go up to the spa for a great couples massage.

The one negative is that you need to take a shuttle bus to a lot of the rooms/villas unless you want to get in some exercise. We had about a five minute walk to our villa up a pretty steep hill so we rarely took the shuttle, but the few times we did went off without a hitch.

Overall, this was a fantastic resort that I would definitely recommend to anyone staying in the Castries or Gros Islet area.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!