I think it's fair to say that the Windjammer met our expectations based upon the reviews here at TA. The location is lovely and somewhat secluded - only people on the beach were hotel patrons and a few merchants (but none of the harassing types).
Rooms - Ours (Hibiscus) was close to the water. Slept with balcony door open every night so we could hear the ocean. Bed, bathroom were very nice.
Beach - Pretty but very rocky in the water (except for the small roped off area for the kids). Plus, it's shallow so it's not easy to get in and swim without walking out over 100ft. Beach bars are adequate but expensive - better to bring your own in a small cooler.
Restaurants - Papa Don's excellent, Dragonfly and Upper Deck just average in our opinion. Drinks at all restaurants very expensive. The small grocery store on site is great and the prices are very reasonable.
Security - Windjammer takes this seriously and therefore we consider this to be a very safe place.
Negatives - We had 3 negative experiences here. 1) The "water sports" facility staff was a bit on the lazy side. On three occasions we were turned away from sailing and/or windsurfing for a variety of reasons ("wind too strong" when it was barely blowing, "no boats available" when one was sitting right there in plain site, "you'll damage the sail because you are a novice"...I wanted to tell the guy to get his lazy *** out of the booth and give some instruction!
2) My wife discovered some missing jewelry - it was not considered valuable and therefore she didn't leave it in the safe.
3) Some inconsistent price labeling at the gift shop led to a purchase that would not have been made otherwise. In this case the price tag was in US$ while almost all other prices were in EC$. Be careful to check and verify all prices of anything you buy on this island.
If you plan on leaving the resort for dinner or exploration then rent a car at the airport. The roads in St. Lucia are not very good (worst I've ever experienced anywhere) and the drivers are crazy. However, feel free to drive at your own pace and comfort level; for some reason St. Lucia has the most courteous drivers in the world. Not once did I hear a horn used to signal impatience or anger, nor did I see any rude hand gestures or shouting. So just relax and pay attention to the road - the people behind you will patiently wait for a good passing spot.
In no particular order, here are some of the highlights of our trip: Exploring Pigeon island and climbing to the top of both knolls, hiking the Gros Piton (1/2 way point), the drive from WJL to the Pitons (great scenery), snorkeling at the base of the Pitons, dinner at the Coal Pot, afternoon rum on the balcony waiting for sunset!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort & Spa in Saint Lucia, offers an unforgettable Caribbean vacation for families, honeymooners and couples. This exotic 60-acre full service resort is a panorama of picturesque, spacious and secluded hillside villas. With breathtaking views of the cobalt waters of the Caribbean Sea, this Mediterranean village resort is alive with the sights and sounds of beautiful Saint Lucia. Absorb the stunning beauty of nature at the Windjammer Landing. From dining on tropical fruits at sunrise to enjoying a refreshing cruise at sunset and only your choice of what to do in between. Richly appointed with the warmth of wood and an exotic blend of tropical furnishings, your spacious villa sets the mood for complete relaxation and truly your greatest escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Hotel Castries
- Windjammer Landing Hotel Beach
- Windjammer St Lucia
- Windjammer Landing Resort Beach
- Windjammer Landing St Lucia
- St Lucia Windjammer
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries