“Could be so better!” 3 of 5 stars

FAMILY TRAVEL
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Castries
“Could be so better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We recently returned from a half term holiday in oct 2012.
In short, great location but the lack of shade for sun loungers on the beach and around the pools, was quite simply baffling.
I've paid for a luxury holiday, but I still had to be on the beach by 7am every day, to try and bag one of the few perminant sun parosols.
Any later, and you are stuck with a day in the blazing sun.
Utterly Ludicrous!
Staff at the reception are great, but at the bars and restaurants you get the real impression that they don't like serving you. This is a subjective view I know, but just getting a smile from some staff was utterly impossible.
All in all, a pleasant holiday, best restaurant was Papa dons, the upper deck was so slow as to be painful and waters ports were great.
Go there enjoy, but be ready to get up early to bag a parasol.

• Stayed October 2012
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Petegm: Thank you for your resort. I'm glad the majority of your stay was pleasant and I am sorry for the service issues you encountered at Upper Deck. We're definitely doing some re-training with our F&B team. We are also planning an expansion of the beach area and will be including more shade! I hope you'll be back to enjoy the new area.

mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at the Windjammer in October 2011 we waited so long so we could write an objective review since we were so blown away after staying here. A year on and several holidays later and this remains, without a doubt, the best holiday we've ever had.

It was our "official" honeymoon and knowing this management upgraded us to a one bedroom villa on the mountain side overlooking the bay. It was spectacular. Everything was very laid back and exactly what we needed.

The staff went out of their way to make our stay special. The service was second to none. One night we had a chef and waiter prepare a romantic meal on the balcony. The whole villa was decorated with flowers and candles.They went above and beyond what we expected in the preparation and presentation.

The whole place has a very friendly atmosphere. The restaurants serve good food and again,great service.

Jammer's is a great beach side bar and grill. We can't say enough good things about the staff. They made sure our glasses were always full, we didn't go hungry and a smile every time.

This isn't the place to go if you're looking to operate on a schedule. You're on "Island Time" and everything just works at a nice relaxed pace. We barely left the resort we were so comfortable.

There are great tours to see the sights. Well worth the money and you can arrange them all in the lobby with guest services. Definitely go on the booze cruise. You will see the botanical gardens, Soufriere, The Pitons, go inside the volcano and lunch at a cocoa plant. You'll get back on the boat and stop at a cove where you can snorkel, then jump back on board and drink some killer rum punch.

Eastern Caribbean Diving is on the beach and well worth the time to go and see the aquatic sights if you like that sort of thing. There are loads of dive spots along the western coast and plenty to see. Visibilty is excellent as well.

We can't say enough about this resort. Everything was perfect and now we have a tough time selecting our holidays because we compare them to the Windjammer. We're definitely going back soon

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Well, it was certainly worth waiting for your terrific review! I'm so glad you had a wonderful honeymoon. Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions - especially regarding sites on the island and diving. We look forward to your return in the near future!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was a mother daughter trip for my Moms bday and we both had an excellent time! Although the hotels are FAR....like 90mins from the airport, it is well worth it. The resorts are kinda secluded so there is no walking around...however...you won't want to after staying here because the hotel is on a mountain and you'll be exhausted from walking up the hills, if you choose to. They have several vans to take you up the steep hills to your room or wherever. The views are amazing, there are tons of activities to do during the day which include snorkeling and a ping pong contest. The food is okay. I recommend Embers bar/grill....best fish and chips ever and the pizza at Papa Dons is good too. Our trip ambassador, Gemma, was great. She scheduled/coordinated our trip and made sure we got everything we were supposed to. She booked our zipline trip though Tree Top Tours...which was awesome! Ask about Lisa, our tour guide for the tour she was great too. Overall, it was the best trip ever! We missed the fish fry party on Friday so I recommend going to that. There is so much to do make sure you search Trip Advisor for the best activities! Good job Saint Lucia...I'll be back soon! :-)

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for taking time to write a review! I'm so glad you and your mother had a great birthday trip! Thanks for the nice comments and recommendations - especially about Gemma. We're glad you'll be back soon!

Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I would agree with some of the most recent comments on this place. Our room 37A was basic, but clean, nice with an amazing view of the beach with a good aircon unit :oD.
Windjammer resort itself was very picturesque in many places and the sea and beach were lovely. The gardens were nice and colourful throughout the whole resort. The weather was very humid, which was unexpected (should have done our homework more) but you were unable to get away from it as ALL restaurants were open air, which is nice but some aircon would have been very welcome!
We went B&B, which for us was great, as we like to explore, and explore we did. We did eat in the hotel twice for dinner and a few times for lunch. Steer clear from room service though, was bad quality burgers with soggy chips, it arrived cling filmed, GROSS!
The restaurant food was hit and miss. Papa Dons was nice, but the upper deck was not so good.
Generally speaking the service was odd, almost scripted & insincere and we generally felt very rushed, not ideal for a romantic chilled out break, depends what you like. We are happy pouring our wine when we want it or even occasionally, topped up, but they were excessive! (Mind you this was the case in some other places outside the resort too...)
Windjammer is a nice resort, ongoing building works weren't great but we were away from them, but as were were there before they all kicked off could appreciate how nice the place could be.
In a nutshell- Staff were fosty and seemed like we were an inconvenience at times, resort was pretty with a beautiful beach, a little trek (£10 cab to next town) to eat out of the resort, we had a great time but don't think it was down to the resort. Had we not have had the room we did might have been dissappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Beth: Thanks for the review. I appreciate the comments about F&B; we are doing some re-training in order to get the service up to the levels we expect. I'm glad you enjoyed the room and I hope you'll be back so we can show you the quality of service we normally provide.

Vienna, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at the Windjammer with my husband's parents during the last week of October 2012. A reunion since we live on opposite ends of the globe. A few things I wish we knew prior to booking:
1. The resort is a minimum 90-minute drive down winding roads from the airport. Taxis will start at prices of US$120+, but you should be able to negotiate down to at least US$80 one way
2. Unlike the traditional resorts, the Windjammer is spread out into separate mini-villas that are built along a 30 degree slope. They have mini-bus shuttles to take you to/from, but expect to wait an average of 10+ minutes each time you need to go somewhere. Prepare to SWEAT if you decide to walk and don't even think about putting on a pair of heels.
3. This is NOT a resort intended for honeymooners. It's jam-packed full of little children (ranging from infants to teens). Great if you're parents. Not so great for everyone else.
4. Don't stay here if you're looking for the no-stress, all-inclusive option. Again, the villas are spread out so it takes some serious thought/planning if you want to get a drink or food. They will charge you upwards of US$150 per person per day for their all-inclusive option. Not worth it. Most of the villas have a full kitchen so rather try to stop at a local grocery store on your way to the resort - you will save a ton of money.
5. The staff are hit or miss. Some of them can be extremely friendly, but with all the issues that came up throughout our stay, to be frank, they weren't of much assistance. A lot of very unfulfilled promises. "We'll take care of you" means... nothing really. Case in point: I had to wait 25 minutes at the front lobby to receive a beach towel! Odd... since you'd think the beach resort would have ample beach towels. Apparently not.
6. The resort has 4 restaurants (including the breakfast only "Dragonfly") and again, plan ahead if you need to eat there because there is not much seating. Not to mention, it took over an HOUR before we got our bottle of wine.
7. Did I mention our "suite that sleeps 4 comfortably" really meant my husband and I had to sleep on a sofa bed in the middle of the room which destroyed my back? Not to mention, there was no counter space in the bathroom, there were no electrical outlets in the bathroom, the shower didn't drain, and there wasn't floor space to unpack my things. Another example of how the Windjammer made 0 effort to accommodate us.
8. It's worth noting the beach is man-made. And small. There is no such thing as long strolls along the white sandy beaches. You can walk from one end to the next in about 7 minutes.

The best part of our trip was when we left the Windjammer and did local activities. Coal Pot and Spinnakers were both amazing restaurants. Keep in mind though... taxis to off-resort locations start at a minimum of US$30 one way.

In summary, keep looking for an alternate option. St. Lucia is a beautiful, mountainous island (seriously, no flat roads), but the Caribbean can do a LOT better than the Windjammer.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as close to the beach as possible. The higher up the cliff you are, the more incon...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tamara: Thank you for the review. I appreciate the feedback and comments. It is true that the majority of resorts are 90 minutes from the airport. The drive, however, does present a great opportunity to see the island and some fishing villages, banana plantations, etc. and learn about Saint Lucia. We do have many families during school breaks (we had the UK half-term break in November) but are much quieter outside those times. We do offer an all-inclusive option along with MAP, breakfast only, and EP dining options for those who want to cook. I'm glad you enjoyed Saint Lucia as it is a terrific place to visit.

Regards,

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My wife booked us at the Windjammer in St Lucia. The beach and water are beautiful, the hotel and the service is bad. In addition to the bad service, all of the restaurants are outdoors. Don't be fooled by the indoor/outdoor language on their website. This is very deceptive. It you like sweating through your meals this may be a place for you. Our second night there we made reservations at their "premier" restaurant Upper Desk. It was a two and a half hour miserable meal. Our waitress disappeared for 20 - 30 minutes at a time. Since I was sweating heavily it would of been nice to have my drink refilled occasionally.

Many of the villas only have air conditioning in the bedroom. The kitchen, living rooms and dining areas are open air. Again, if you sweating on you couch this may be a good place for you. Like many others we talked to here, we asked to change villas after a couple of miserable days. They did move us to a villa with a/c until the villa lost power on our last night and we got to stay in a third villa.

To top if off they are undergoing major renovations. My wife called ahead of time to see if the construction would be a noise problem. They said no, they were just draining the pool and specifically said no jack hammering. This turned out to be clearly false as we continued to be bombarded with continuous construction noise. The noise greatly limited the time in our plunge pool. If you are really set on coming to St Lucia there appear to be some nice places to stay on the island. Spend a few more bucks and pass this place by, not worth the money or aggravation.

Room Tip: Book at place. Do not waste your money or time.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WJLMD, Front Office Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Greg: Thank you for the review and I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We do have both open air and fully enclosed Villas; the open air units are the traditional Caribbean accommodation with air conditioning in bedroom and open breezes in the living room. However, many people prefer the air conditioning in all areas and so we offer both options. I'm sorry we didn't communicate this to you before your arrival. I'm glad you enjoyed the island and hope you'll return to Saint Lucia again.

Hinton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My 12 year old and I did a one week all inclusive at Windjammer in October of 2012.

Check-in was really awkward. They have you sit on a couch with your rum punch, but it just doesn't work. I didn't like giving my credit card to an employee and then they walk away with it. I like to watch where it goes. Standing at the main desk would have been preferable.

We were told that the ambassador would contact us at the beginning of our stay to assist us, but it was only by luck that we ran into him at the end of the week. It's never good to over promise and under deliver.

We booked the lowest level of room and when we saw our accommodations, we were shocked. They were stunning. There were three levels: jacuzzi on the roof, kitchen and living room on the main, and bed and bath in the cool basement. The bathroom had a newer renovation but the rest of the suite was showing a bit of age. The jacuzzi on the roof really needed a clean. I shut it off once and a giant cockroach floated out of one of the jets. If they changed the soft furnishings (couch, mattress, etc.), it would go a long way. But overall, we were very happy having so much space.

The food was strangely inconsistent. Some meals were stellar, some barely edible. Not a tomato to be seen the whole week. Lots of chicken and green peppers. Texas night had an awesome brisket though. If there was live music, we made sure to book our dinner so that we could listen to it.

Although tipping was included on our package and added to all the bills that they make you sign with each meal, make sure to tip extra in cash. The breakfast servers quit serving us towards the end of the week. No coffee for me!!! It got to the point that we would stay away from some staff. Actually, they needed to bring in some better managers. Some of the staff had bad attitudes and as a guest, you almost need an advocate.

The best part about the resort was the water activities. We never missed the afternoon tubing and the snorkeling was fun. My 12 year old learned to waterski which was a highlight. Great staff in the water sports section. We picked this resort because it appeared to have an inflatable water launch but it did not. There was an inflatable trampoline that was fun. But not crazy fun like a water launch. And they ran out of towels with a 40% occupancy rate. The water, however, is a great temperature and the surf was really mild.

I was interested in the time shares, but in speaking to the current owners, there seem to be many unresolved issues with them and I would give them a wide berth.

So if you do decide to go, make sure to go all inclusive. The meals and drinks add up fast.

If you are a light sleeper, take ear plugs for the crickets that chirp the whole night.

And bring bug spray and antihistamine cream for the bites.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!