“Wonderful & tranquil” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Sunset Hill Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Sunset Hill Resort and Spa
The Sunset Hill Resort and Spa
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bois d'Orange Gros Isle | PO Box GM 702, Castries, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #14 of 17 hotels in Castries
“Wonderful & tranquil”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at he sunset hill for 3 nights in December of 2005. I must say on entering our room the atmosphere was refreshing. We had all ameneties; the staff we came in contact with were courteous and helpful. We would like to stay at the this hotel again soon.

Stayed December 2005

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Solo
Business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

Sunset Hill Resort & Spa need some major improvements. On my initial arrival the physical property looked well kept from the lobby.

Within 10 minutes I realize I was in the wrong hotel when I saw no television set or appliances available. Food for my stay (5 days total) was never available.

After 11:00pm no staff was on hand and the rooms were hardly maintained. My bed sheets were never changed and the bathroom was broken upon my arrival.

The water went out for hours when I was there and as a guest I shared a common iron with hotel guest waiting desperately for one. This hotel should not even be considered a half star (*) property.

The management staff is aweful, leading the pack is the Owner, Jamaican by nationality. When I wanted to lodge a complaint to him directly, he denied that he was the owner and said it was too late for complaints.

Warning..listen to me and do not fall victim, Sunset Hill Resort and Spa is NOT an option even if nothing is available. STAY AWAY!!!! I will never go back there!!!

• Stayed May 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sunset Hill from the 11th of May until the 15th of May, 2006. There are so many bad things that were going on at that place, I will list in point form:
- No information booklet in the room
- Phone in room could not dial local numbers, only 0 for reception and many times no one was there
- There was an extremely small garbage bin in room, could hold about 4 bottles
- No privacy in bathroom as transparent louvres were used, anyone passing our room could see our heads in the shower
- Lovely patio, but no chairs
- We received a call from reception at 6:00am in the morning, asking us if we had a car in the parking lot, we told them no, then security knocked on our door(15 minutes later) and asked us the same thing. Suspected the owner's precious jaguar may have been blocked in.
- front desk called us at 8:00am one morning and asked us if we were having breakfast
- Room was cleaned one day only and they left the door to the patio open, which invited the mosquitoes(the real owners!) in
- There were absolutely no mats in the room
- There were no extra towels or face towels or hand towels
- Cleaning staff stole 3 undershirts belonging to my boyfriend and a cosmetic pouch belonging to myself
- Pump was broken at hotel and it took a few hours for them to locate a plumber
- Cleaning staff never replaced soap in the room for the 4 days we were there
- No food available after hours in this somewhat remote place
- Front desk wanted to charge us for a call made to the taxi when we were leaving the hotel
- Tried to get breakfast on Monday morning, but Chef had not arrived...that was 9:15am.
- 5 persons quit hotel within the space of a week...hmmmm...go figure...
- Someone called my room for me on the morning of the 15th and front desk told them i was not there, even though I was...

My advice for everyone would be never ever ever stay at that place, because it was the closest thing there was to hell. Jamaican is really making a killing with the place, though....

• Stayed May 2006
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2006

During my recent stay at Sunset Hill Resort I was completely disappointed at its condition and service in every area. First, it was like a ghost town when I arrived and throughout my stay. The few staff that were there didn't know how to make drinks and had to locate keys to the kitchen to make meals for me upon request. My room had no hot water for two nights.
There was no entertainment, day or night, except overhearing the staff criticising their boss/owner! That was the best part of staying there in fact. Apparently it's been re-opened after someone bought it, changed the name from Orange Grove Hotel, and has done a very poor job at trying to run it. St. Lucia is cool, and there are so many nice hotels on St. Lucia, stay somewhere else.

, duty manager at The Sunset Hill Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2006
becasue of disgruntal workers we have to subdue that kinda of attacks i hope that it wont affect our beautufl hotel and country and we are sadden by the actions of those ex workers who we gave the oppertunity and they didnt take advantage of it, yet still they found it in their mind and heart to destroy our small island and hotel credibility.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2006

Please beware of this place. It would not be a wise choice for your vacation. It was not clean and the staff was very rude. All appliances not working in the rooms. Air conditioning did not work. The hotel is not owned by a local St Lucian and you lose the feel and appeal of the island culture. I would not recomend this place to anyone. Your money would be better spent at a differnet place.

• Stayed February 2006
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2006

My wife and I spent a week at Sandals Halcyon Beach last year. After a problem with our flight out, Air Canada scrambled to find spots for all the stranded guests to stay. We were sent to the Orange Grove (now Sunset Hill Resort and Spa. The list of offensives is too long so I'll just do it in point form:

-Pool was so filled with algae you couldn't see the bottom in the shallow end
-rooms had no appliances, Tv's, clock radios, etc.
-No clean towels- we had to wait 3 hours as towels were being laundered, when we finally got them, one was soiled.
-sheets on bed were filthy
-no food available (granted it was 11 at night, but still, nothing at all available)
-our stranded group ordered a pizza, when I went down to the bar to see if the towels were ready I found the staff finishing off our left-over pizza.
-all drinks that were cold were frozen solid, so only warm drinks available, and the pop was expired.
-we asked 3 times for a wake-up call, staff was rude but finally agreed. Wake-up call never came, lucky we couldn't sleep on filthy bed.
-no hot water
-bugs in the rooms
-no checkout. No one was working the desk when our group of 16 stranded travellers checked out so we just left the keys on the desk and left.
-the only other people on the property other than the staff were local teens hanging out at midnight.

Other than the name change, this place needs extensive renovations to even get to the level of a hotel that wouldn't be shut down in other countries.

St. Lucia is a wonderful place, just choose another place to stay.

• Stayed February 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Orange grove in November. It was the worst hotel we have ever stayed at! My husband is St Lucian and even his family said, "that place is terrible. Everyone on the Island know that!" We had to change rooms 3 times to actually get running water and Air conditioning. The owner was a terrible man. We were so happy to leave. I do not recomend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed November 2004

Been to The Sunset Hill Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!