“THE place for a Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
World Travel Award!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Castries
Columbia, Md
“THE place for a Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

Let me set the record straight. We stayed at the Halcyon from 6/25-7/1 in a Honeymoon Concierge room for our honeymoon. If you are looking for a small casual, intimate, quiet resort - this is the place. My wife and I having hectic jobs and lives and having friends who have stayed at all 3 Sandals properties in St. Lucia - we had an idea of what we wanted.
When we arrived in our room there was a bottle of champagne and a fruit platter. This was the beginning of being treated like a king and queen.
First the room was 50 ft from the beach with a beautiful view. It's own private little patio. No problem with the size or the bathroom. Yes the air conditioner blows hot air on the patio.
We flew into the small airport (10 minutes from resort) and stayed at the Halcyon against the advice of our Sandals rep travel agent - she was WRONG !
The food, the drinks and the pools were all great ! We ate at the Pier, Mario's and Kimono's. The service was excellent - the pacing just right for two extremely relaxed people to carry on a conversation. The Pier gave us a surprise cake !
We did the romance package which includes couples massage, dinner on the beach and rose petals, bubble bath, candles and champagne one night - recommend - each was a HUGE hit with my wife !
The grounds are so lush and beautiful. Every tree and bush seems to have flowers ! You can walk from one end to the other of the resort in 10 minutes - very nice! The resort is it's own little piece of heaven.
We are in our 40's and we met some great people - couples from all ages and locations ! You all were fun. Thanks Kristin and Jim ! Our 20 something friends !!
Cats - there were 5 friendly kittens in the lobby and NO "rats" !!
The other Sandals resorts : The Grande had the most beautiful beach and lots of watersports-nothing else impressed us. The Regency impressed us as a place for a regular vacation or with another couple. Lots of fun, things going on, would definitely like to come back to stay here. But the Halcyon was "home". We would come through the gate and a calm would come over you. It is the most relaxed I can ever remember being and my demeanor is so much more calm even two weeks later !
The staff I have saved for last. The staff on the whole were great. Thanks Melissa our Concierge ! Can't remember everyones names but the wait staff, security guards, the playmakers, the bartenders, the sales desk, the photographer were all very friendly and attentive once they knew you. They would come take care of things and you wouldn't even see them. It would just be done !
My one complaint does concern the staff and what seemed like a lack of management oversight ! The one night bar near the Bayside restaurant the bartenders seemed more interested in talking to themselves than taking care of the guests. Also the night we came back from the Regency about 30 or more of staff on their off hours in regular clothes had taken over the Karaoke and the pool tables outside. Have a staff lounge area ! VERY inappropriate !!
I would definitely recommend the Halcyon for the most relaxing, romantic, intimate time of your lfe ! No pressure, no problem !!

• Liked — Reaxed, lush, quaint, romantic, intimate
  • Disliked — Staff hanging out like guests on their offf hours
Stayed June 2004, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
so cal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

i was hesitant to book here after reading all the older reviews talking about how awful it is, and the numerous "rats", etc. let me start off by saying that i did not see a single rat. CATS, yes. but rats- absolutely not.

i fully believe that any trip, vacation, resort, etc- is what you make of it. we weren't sure what to expect here, but it is SUCH a nice little resort. it is the smallest of the 3 sandals resorts on the island. in most ways, that's really nice- but when you're craving some serious nightlife and people to party with, this resort is dead in the water. but then again, that might be exactly what you're looking for.

the halcyon is small. the rooms are very small, but we weren't in ours often enough to even care. i think our room had already been updated because the bathroom looked retiled and all the bathroom fixtures were really nice. read= no mold to be found (although in this type of humidity, i can see how mold would grow). we would turn our air conditioner off when we weren't going to be in the room all day- and when we got home in the evening, we'd turn it back on. it cooled our room quick enough to do this- plus, i wouldn't leave the air running all day at my home, why would i do it here?

the playmakers at the halcyon are great! keisha, floralie, shereen and delano are awesome! they are so much fun and really energetic. we found ourselves spending a lot of our time with them as they were truly, great company. :) and with the halcyon being so small and not crowded like the other 2 resorts, it was really nice to have them all know us by name by the first day. it really gave it that extra personal touch. i can't imagine people getting the kind of personal treatment and care we got here at the other two (but i could be wrong).

the food was good. nothing was overly amazing, but then again, i don't think i expected it to be. mario's was yummy and the pier was too! everyone told us we "had" to visit toscanini's at the grande- but we found mario's to be just as good, if not better. i think when you're anywhere for 8 days, any type of food is going to get old- you know? i definitely got tired of eating out and eating the same types of meals, but i would have felt the same way if we were eating out 3 meals a day at home. the beach grill at 1am is a lifesaver! we love shamra! he has the best smile and is just working hard grilling up food for all the drunk people everynight. shamra rocks!

the outside tours- we booked the atv tour, but if you have ever ridden one before, do not book this tour. you will be so disappointed because you can't drive fast- or really do much of anything. if you have never ridden an atv before, then i assume you would really like this course and trip. it does take you to a beautiful beach and a gorgeous part of the island you wouldn't see otherwise, so that part is nice. but it's frustrating when you know what you're doing and you want to haul [-], but you can't. lol a tour we totally recommend, even if it is a little long, is the day long soufriere catamaran cruise. you get to go to the pitons, see the volcano, the botanical gardens (could do w/out this part) and have lunch in town- go snorkeling on the way back, etc. we wouldn't have seen hardly any of the island if we didn't go on this tour. it was great and the captain and his crew are so much fun. one thing they don't tell you is that a lot of your mini tour guides on this trip work on tips- so have some cash with you.

we did visit both of the other resorts for dinner and to see them. we really thought the regency was awesome, but the grande was possibly too big. they both seemed to have more of a nightlife than the halcyon. we ate at kimono's at the regency and would definitely recommend it. it was so fun and the food was yummy! i heard from people staying at both places that they really loved it. even though there were tons of people, they didn't have much to complain about, aside from the chairs at the main pool always being taken. we never had that problem at the halcyon. it was definitely the least popular of the 3 and that kept it really nice and mellow.

the only complaint i do have about the halcyon is the watersports area. i don't know if we just happened to have bad timing, or what, but they were the most unhelpful group there. we wanted to windsurf so they told us to come back for lessons. we came back then they said "no, sorry. no lessons today." and never offered them again. they don't tell you what they have for you to do- and they just don't offer up any information. if i had to complain about anything, it would be them.

good lord, i've written a million things. i'll shut up now, but please feel free to email me with any questions about the resort, the island, etc. :)

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mrlouisvilletraveler
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

My fiancé and I booked a trip to Sandals Halcyon. Due to some weather related problems, we could not make it for our first day of vacation (we arrived a day late). Upon my arrival, I was told not to worry about the day; everything would be taken care of. They gave me a letter and told me to send to the main office for credit of the lost day. We spoke with the guest relations manager on-site and was verbally assured they would credit the lost day because of the circumstances. When I got home, they sent me a letter telling me they would credit a day if I booked another vacation with them. This was what I had told the guest relations manager when I was on-site would happen and again was assured it would not and I would receive my credit. They lied to my face and will not back the expectation they gave me while on-site. Buyer beware – I travel extensively each year on vacation, I will never stay at another Sandals again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — They lie - tell you one thing while on-site, another when you leave
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

We stayed here for our honeymoon. I was a little apprehensive because of some of the poor reviews- but it met and bested ALL my expectations. We LOVED our room! Yeah, the AC had to be on alot but it's the tropics. The grounds were beautiful.
Everyone was always so helpful and polite, it was almost freaky- we're from Los Angeles where nobody is polite, ever. The food was pretty good- service was a little slow, but it being slow season, they probably just didn't have the full staff complement. I enjoyed all the food, every last bit. I also enjoyed the nearly 24-hour nacho bar and had the BEST pina coladas of my LIFE.
The kittens in the lobby were one of my favorite things :D
We went to the other 2 Sandals on the island- didn't like them as much. Too big, too hotel-like, ugly. I hated going to the Grande to get on a BUS to get to the restaraunt!!!
The Halcyon was just the right size- small! Cute, personal. We got to know so many of our fellow guests while we were there, it was great!
We loved this place, and we fully intend on going back for our next big vacation!

• Liked — Its beauty and small size
  • Disliked — Shower water temp. fluctuations
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Worcester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

This was our Honeymoon and we picked an all inclusive Sandals resort to take the stress away after the hectic run up to the wedding. The Halcyon was recommended by our travel agent and we did like what we saw in the brochures. There are a few things that you should know and need to accept:

1) The immigration is a slow if polite affair in unairconditioned immigration hall. Run to be the first in the queue if you don't want spend an hour waiting to get through.

2) Don't get stung by the airport porters who carry your bags all of 10 yards to the Sandals desk and then expect a tip.

3) The transfer to the hotel takes an hour and twenty minutes from the aiport and is in a small mini van up some of the twistiest roads imaginable. This may not be much after a short hop from Miami but after an 8 hour flight from London if you get even vaguely carsick you may want to book the limo transfers.

4) The Halcyon is not some sprawling monolith of a Hotel. If you want that then go to the Regency or the Grand - they are far more geared up for the American market. The Halcyon is a far smaller more intimate affair. It may be missing some of the polish of the other two but more than makes up for it with a far better atmosphere.

5) The rooms were a little dissapointing bearing in mind the photography in the brochure and on the website and in the interests of ecology they don't put the aircon on in advance of your arrival so your do arrive to a stiffling hot room but 2 hours with the aircon on and it will be fine.

6) The safe in the room is far far too small for modern international travel. It barely holds a few items of jewellery plus passports and a wallet. Do not expect to be able to put any camera equipment or video cameras in there - let alone a laptop or anything similar. You will just have to hide them in your room and take your chances. We left a necklace out and it was taken. We reported it and although it was dealt with by the management in a very polite manner it was continually referred to as a loss instead of a theft. The police were also never called as they were trying to deal with it internally which did annoy us quite a bit.

Please don't misunderstand this review. I want to stress what a wonderful hotel the Halcyon is - I just think there are some aspects which people may not expect.

The staff are truley wonderful - not just polite and efficient but really personnal too. Celina in Marios restaurant is a joy as is Callistus the chef. He would tailor dishes to just how we wanted them. Shireen and Floralea are an absolute delight on the entertainment fron and Bodley and Nafarla will always ensure you have a drink to hand during your meal. Nothing is too much trouble for any of them.

The watersports centre is fantastic and the equipment and traing par excellence. Damien, Jerome and Charlie will take you to someo f the most fabulous diving you will ever have experienced. The resort is lush and green and the food in all of the restaurants is outstanding. Don't forget you can also visit the other resorts to experience their facilities all inclusive and a visit to La toc at the Regency is well worth it. Book as soon as you get there as it books up well in advance and try and get an early reservation and watch the Sun set while you dine.

A couples massage is a great way to spend an afternoon and if you want an expereince that you will never foget then book to go on the 2 hour pony trail and ride into the ocean bare back on a beautiful horse - TREMENDOUS!!!!

I really can't stress enough that the "No pressure - no problems" attitude of the staff makes you feel totally at your ease and if you can treat the staff as people rather than servants then you will discover a whole new level to the words friendly service.

For all my warnings - we have already booked to go back again next year!!!! - It was fantastic!!!!!!

• Liked — Fantastic friendly service
  • Disliked — Room was a let down - ocean view non existent
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
desun75
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

well
we expected a lot more for what we got. first off when we arrived i thought the resort was very dated and would be above the and beyond if we were in the 80's . yes they do have nice garden and palm trees but we have seen this before in Florida . i guess if your from the north you might be excited. our room was like a old shack with a loud in the wall air conditioner that blew hot air on the patio and leaked water . our bathroom was hot and no air conditioning and we could hear gym music and a TV going all day and night in the bathroom because our room backed up to the gym. our sink was clogged up and the bath tub was nasty and the drain cover was missing so no luck taking a bath . the pillows were also very hard and old towels that felt hard . sandals called me two weeks prior to my stay and sold me a up grade to a grand ocean view room for a extra price. when we arrived to the room we looked out to the garden and no ocean also found out through the staff that indeed we were in the garden room and not the upgraded ocean view. i went to the front desk about this the manager told me " oh were sorry but those rooms were full and the beast we could do is put you in the right room 3 days later " and yes they declined giving me back my upgraded costs.
The food at the resort was umm not good ... the breakfast buffet was the best out of all the food. Mario's was a joke and the pier was OK at best . when we first arrived my wife had some desserts and one was the cheesecake ,she asked me to try it and it was hot and texture was wrong. she was very sick that night and delayed our plans the next day .

we did visit the other resorts grand and st regis. the grand is a awesome resort ,this is what i thought we were getting but not so at the halcyon. the food was better . we took a tour of the rooms and we were sick, way better than halcyon , they had refrigerators full of drinks at your demand and even room service breakfast in bed ! at the halcyon we could not even get bottle water unless we paid 8 $ us . the regis was just as impressive and nice.
the service at the halcon was bad it was like there in island time not friendly and almost it felt like they were doing us a favor by serving us !
we would just stay at the halcyon at night and go to the other resorts during the day .
i would recommend the grand and regis to other couples for a great time but don't go expecting great food , i guess i would say that quantity over quality was the issue here . I'm in the resturant biz and i know food and service and i was disappointed ant both but oh well we made the best of it !

Stayed June 2007
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

We recently spent two weeks in St,. Lucia. 5 nights at the Halcyon and 9 nights at the Grande (Grande review separate). This was our 1st visit to the Halcyon. Gorgeous property with the most beautiful gardens. Nice long stretch of beach for walking. We had a concierge beachfront room (#133) with a beautiful view of the ocean. Lots of birds, gorgeous and many different varieties of hummingbirds flitting around. The staff were very nice and friendly, with the exception of a few surly ladies at the beach grill. We especially enjoyed spending time chatting with Garvey at the pool bar and Agnes at the quiet pool in the gardens...she really does remember everyones names and favorite cocktails. The food was average, with the exception of The Pier, which was outstanding. We loved it so much during our first visit, that we returned a second time with friends of ours who were staying at the Grande. On our arrival, two staff members from concierge service arrived at our room with balloons to tie to our bed and a beautiful tropical floral arrangement..nice touch!! Our room, even though it was the top shelf room on the property, was average..but immaculate. I believe that this Sandals is slated for renovation soon. The bathroom was old, but again, spotless. The only drawback on the room for us...we really enjoy a nice patio, especially in the evening for cocktails/sunset before dinner....the a/c was an old-fashioned through the wall unit that blew HOT air onto the patio...since the temps in St. Lucia are blazing hot/humid at this time of year, the a/c made it virtually impossible to enjoy the patio.
We've visited many Sandals and this was the first time that we felt the difference between their "Classic" and "Signature" resorts. Also....this place is SOOOO quiet.....almost TOOOO quiet...it seemed that most of the guests would leave the resort during the day - for outside tours and to visit the other Sandals - so the "quiet" pool in the gardens (I think it's called the Paradise pool) was SO quiet, that we found ourselves whispering (?) while there. If you are looking for absolute peace and quiet and solitude, then this is the place for you. Also, if you don't mind shuttling back and forth to the other resorts, then this is the place for you.
We met a LOT of really nice people there and enjoyed visiting with other guests and staff members, but we were happy to get to the Grande for the second part of our stay. Don't get me wrong...I like peace and quiet and solitude...just not all day every day. We've found that at other resorts, you have a choice...if you want to mix and mingle you can, if you want to party down you can, and if you want to find a quiet place alone, you can. We just felt this spot was a little too laid back for us.

• Liked — The ocean view and the gardens
  • Disliked — The old a/c unit blasting hot air onto the patio
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!