“Fantastic wedding and honeymoon!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Up to $355 Air Credit!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Castries
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fantastic wedding and honeymoon!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

So, I read many, many reviews on this site before travelling to the Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia. I admit that I was concerned by some of the bad reviews. After my week in paradise, all I can say is: those people who had a terrible time either are the nitpickiest people in the world or they had something very specifically annoying or bad happen to them. I had a fantastic time!

travel - First, a word about travel. I was concerned about the hellacious sounding 1 1/2 hour taxi ride through the jungle from the airport. But, we flew U.S. Airways who have recently dropped their direct flight to St. Lucia. We actually had to go to Barbados first for a two hour layover, and then hop a puddle -jumper to St. Lucia. Now, that may sound bad, but, the small planes fly into the small airport on the north of the island, and it was a mere 5 minute ride to the resort! Definately the way to go if you don't mind a stop in Barbados first.

Resort -The resort is gorgeous! Beautifully landscaped with tropical flowers everywhere. I personally liked the small, intimate feel of the Halcyon. You could walk from one side to the other in a matter of 5 minutes. We visited the Grande and the Regency and both are what very affluent travellers might expect from a ritzy resort. The Grande especially was for the young, buff, blonde, and waxed set. The Halycon guests represented a wide variety of young and older, hot and not-so-hot. Just unpretentious people enjoying a lovely vacation. We happened to be visiting the week that the World Cup was playing and we watched the England vs. Trinidad&Tobago game with the Brit guests and the Caribbean staff. What a blast!

Food- We've never eaten so much in a week in our lives! Breakfast buffet at the Bayside was great every morning. We especially like the Pier (yes, it can get a little hot in there), and we had our five course, wedding dinner there. Everything was delicious. We also enjoyed late night snacking at the beachside grill.

Sightseeing- You must leave the resort and go see the island! We did the Land & Sea tour - highly recommended and the horseback trip - fun, but I was really sore. We also happened upon a free trip when Della at the tours desk told us that someone had paid for, but canclled on a sunset cruise. She offered it to us on our wedding day.

Wedding - We did get married there and it was the best decision we could have made. it was just the two of us, and everything went so smoothly. The gazebo where the ceremony was held is much, much quieter and more private than the one I saw at the Grande. Our pictures and video were very professionally done and came out great.

Can't say enough about how much I loved this trip! If you're looking for a fun, laid-back honeymoon (yes, everyone there was on their honeymoon), I highly recommend the Halcyon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

We visited the Halcyon from June 6th - June 20th and returned home just yesterday and had the best holiday of our lives. Really.

We considered various options for our wedding abroad and finally decided on the Halcyon. We knew we wanted to go to a Sandals and this was our first visit. I hope my review is helpful, I've tried to break it down piece by piece to cover everything!!!

Arrival

We booked the honeymoon concierge room and so after an exciting ride across St Lucia where we experienced the most breathtaking scenery we arrived at the Halcyon. We were immediately whisked to the Piano Bar for the special concierge check in, were given champagne and "welcomed home" by the staff. Thanks to Vernessa and Oniel.

Room

Our room was lovely. Close to the beach, a lovely little private haven set in amongst the most beautiful greenery and flowers. The concierge room means you have a bar in your room, you also get other little perks such as beach towels already provided for you, bath robes etc. We were able to change the drinks in the room to anything we wanted and the bar is restocked daily replenishing anything you have used. Fabulous service.

Also the concierge truly is on call for anything you need, they just can't do enough for you!

Resort in general

The Halcyon is small, beautiful, intimate and very homely. The staff are wonderful and I can't speak highly enough of them. Special thanks to the guys at the sunset bar, particularly James 006 and a half, Roland (who would bring a smile to anyone!) Titus, little Warner and Crystal.

Playmakers are excellent, the girls Eva and Valentura are so much fun and the guys, I won't name you all because you are all excellent.

Make an effort to get to know all of these guys, they are such lovely people with so much to give.

CHARLIE

I want to dedicate a special part of the review to "Rasta man Charlie." You will know him when you see him. Look out for his "shop" on the beach near the sunset pool. He will most likely find you before you fnd him. A legend in the making and someone you have to check out, even if only to buy one of his personally made steel drums or bird feeders.

Wedding

I know this is something many people will be concerned about, it is such a big decision and one which shouldn't be taken lightly. All I can say is that we had a perfect wedding day and are so happy we chose the Halcyon. This is what happened :

The day we arrived we were given a time to meet Maggie the wedding coordinator the next morning. We went along to the wedding office and three other couples were also there. We were given an overview, asked tofill in some forms with our details and had to present birth certificates and passports. Your passport will be kept for a couple of days for checking by the lawyers so bear this in mind should you need to change any travellers cheques etc.

We were then given a time to meet with Maggie privately later that day and were asked to return at lunch to sign with the lawyers.

The meeting with Maggie confirmed general details, we picked the location, bouquet, cake, other special options, eg where the wedding dinner etc takes place. Bear in mind the Pier Restaurant is closed on a Monday, so if like us your wedding is on a Monday you will be offered Marios instead with a second wedding dinner on Tues in the PIer.

Later that day we signed with the lawyers and that was it, everything was sorted.

On the day of the wedding the groom goes to the wedding office around twenty minutes before the ceremony and checks the marriage certificate etc. He will be given his button hole etc then. Five minutes before the witness will come to the room to meet the bride with the bouquet and then walks you to your location. The best place is the gazebo close to the beach grill, but my advice is have a good look around and find your favourite spot, I know Sandals will oblige if they possibly can.

After this everything is easy!!! Short but lovely ceremony cake cutting, champagne, first dance etc and then photos. An hour and a half after our wedding we were drinking bob marley cocktails in the sunset pool! Bliss.

Your wedding dinner at night is lovely, you are given extra special attention not to mention the champagne breakfast in bed the morning after your big day.

We both agree this was a perfect way to celebrate our wedding.

In short I could go on, but please go to the Halcyon. I have had the BEST holiday of my life here and you will as well if you go. Wonderful. Have fun!!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE NEGATIVE REVIEWS!!!! Sandals Halcyon was GREAT!!!! I loved every last minute of my vacation. It was by far one of the best vacations that i have ever been on. I wanted to try an all inclusive resort because i usually vacation on cruises, so I thought this would be a great place to try. I am addicted, I don't think I will ever go on another cruise ever again. From the minute we stepped foot on the resort to the second we left it was the best vacation! We even tried to stay an extra few days because we didn't want to go home. The staff was wonderful especially the playmakers.
We even visited the other two resorts and they were very beautiful but they were very big. Halcyon is the smallest sandals but by far the best. The food was good. I did enjoy the Japanees restaurant at the other hotel. The beach was so quite. Since I am so used to cruises the first day at Halcyon I got up at the crack of dawn to go "reserve a beach chair" and did i feel stupid. There was no need to reserve anything. The beach was so quite and relaxing. the pool area had activities going on throughout the day but it was also very relaxing. the swim up bar is great. All we did for 7 days was float around in the pool with great cocktails!! I can't say enough good things about this resort!!! I am already planning my next vacation there!!!
Oh and you men you should spend the $150.00 and book a dinner on the beach or in the Gazebo. My boyfriend suprised me with dinner on the beach and I loved it. It was so romatic. A little pricey but worth every penny!!!

• Stayed May 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

First I would like to thank all the staff and management for a wonderful holiday for their freindlyness and greetings whenever they saw us, they are a credit to Sandal's.
We went for our 35th Wedding Anniversary and had a romantic meal in a gazebo it was wonderful we felt like Royality.
The hotel has beautiful gardens well kept and swept everyday, the beach is clean and the sea clear what more could you want in Paradise.
The rooms have lovely decor and huge beds and are very clean, don't believe all you read in reviews we have never had such a lovely holiday. We did go to the Grand and Regency but did'nt find them to be half as friendly as the Halcyon and we were glad to get back, it is understandable why th Halcyon gets the best customer reviews it is the best!!!
We only did one trip to the tree top adventure but it was brilliant, 8 wires through the tree tops, only down side was we went a 10.45am and did'nt get back until 3pm.No food was provided but luckily we took 2 bananas, it's realy good fun but take some food ......
Thank-you once again for brilliant and relaxing holiday.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

My wife and I recently had our honeymoon at the Sandals Halcyon, staying in a Concierge Suite. We enjoyed our stay so much I just wanted to take the extra time to express our gratitude to let everyone know how pleased we were with the outstanding service we received from the entire staff.
After visiting the other two resorts on the island and taking other vacations to various places in the Caribbean as well as in the U.S., this resort offers something so special like we never experienced before. My wife and I are the type of people who would rather have a personal, quaint, romantic time where you don’t have to wait in line or stay in a hotel type of building and Sandals Halcyon offered exactly what we were looking for. We weren’t at the resort three days and we were already talking about when we could make it back here for a vacation.
I also wanted to specifically recognize a few employees who really made our stay extra special. The concierge staff of Melissa, Vernessa, and O’Neill were all extremely helpful and approachable. From the second we got out of the taxi from the airport, which by the way is a long hour and a half ride up and down side to side, passing people around bends ride, take a bottle of water with you it will definately help, anyway.....both Vernessa and O’Neill were there to “welcome us home” and to insure that we became immediately comfortable with the staff and resort. Throughout the week they remembered our names (very important to me) and were very interested in what we were doing, what we did, and is there anything else they can do to make our stay better. My wife and I even took the concierge shopping trip hosted by O’Neill and we had a great time especially because we both felt much more comfortable with a friendly face there with us at Castries outdoor market. While booking our excursions with Kim (also a great staff member), Melissa was there to help us out with how long the trips were, what would be best to do our certain days with other excursions and what excursions needed to be on a day by itself. Aside from the concierge staff, both Leslie and Tamian of the Playmakers kept our stay very entertaining and are outstanding at what they do. They both would always approach us to participate in the pool side games, dance lessons, and the nightly activities. Lastly, but certainly not least, I booked a Gazebo dinner for my wife and I and not only was the food wonderful but our server Mario was marvelous. He was prompt between courses, eager to please, and the perfect waiter for the atmosphere I wanted for this dinner. Overall, all of the staff were great, but the above mentioned made our stay great. It’s a good thing they can not except tips because I would have gone broke taking care of these outstanding employees.

Restaurants:
Marios (Italian)- Not very good, not terrible, but if you are use to authetic Italian food, or homemade....you will not like this
Bayside- Buffet style for all meals....food is pretty good, many selections, nothing to die for but better than average
The Pier- Awesome, food and service were great
The Grill- Bar type food, good for what it is
Kimomo (at the Regency)- a Japanese Steakhouse that they cook in front of you....AWESOME best meal of the week, you sit with 10 people at a table (so if you meet another couple ask them, its nice to go with someone you know)....you have to eat here...you need reservations though...book early in the week....like the 1st or 2nd day your there....we arrived on Monday and booked the dinner then, the first day available was for Thursday.

GUYS.....SERIOUSLY TAKE NOTE TO THIS.....if you have an extra $150 book the Gazebo dinner for your lady....it is so nice. You have a private Gazebo on the beach, a private waitor, and a special 5 course menu you personally pick out. This was a great experience and really made a memorible evening for the honeymoon.

Entertainment/Exclusions:
Water sports- Tubing, water bike, water ski, wind surfing, snorkeling, and scuba all was great
The Playmakers- a group of staff that are there to setup pool games, night entertainment, etc....very fun people

Excursions- we did the Jeep Safari tour (about 4 hours) it takes you though the rainforest in the back of a big jeep, giving you facts about the island, stops at a waterfall to swim, and you stop and try fresh fruits along the way....best pineapple I ever ate...this is a must

Horseback Riding (2hr)- great time, the stable looks pretty ghetto, but the horses are great (except for mine- Midnight- he likes to run, and if you kick is stomach he gets ticklish...when you get to the beach they take off the saddle and you ride waist high in the water....i loved it

Zipline Canopy (5hr)- about an hour from the resort but worth it....YOU MUST DO THIS....WORTH every penny....they hook you up on a zipline and you fly through the rainforest about 500 feet (7 different lengths and ziplines). The most unique experience i have ever had on vacation. My wife and I LOVED this.

Overall, this was the perfect honeymoon, I loved this place...you must go here if your looking at the Caribbean or at St. Lucia. The other 2 Sandals at St. Lucia are nice but huge,and very impersonal. Please contact me if you have any questions....I love talking about this place.

Chatham, Kent, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

After reading loads of reviews about this hotel on this website, we were a little worried about what this hotel would be like. Thankfully it was perfect in every way. The staff were excellent, the meals were fantastic, nothing about this holiday was bad.

We met so many wonderful people and made many new friends.

The resort is stuning and so much better than the Regency and the Grande. Although the other two resorts are bigger, they are no where near as personal or intimate as the Halcyon. It's great to be able to go between the other two hotels using the shuttle bus, and as the Halcyon is in the middle it means you are only 15 minutes away from the other two resorts.

All of the restaurants are brilliant. We didn'y have one bad meal the whole time we was there. Both Jo and myself ate like kings the whole time. The best night was Kimono's restaurant, the company and the chef were all brilliant!

There is so much to do if you want to, and they don't hassle you if you don't want to join in the fun. The watersports were superb and the guys there were so helpful.

All in all it was the best holiday ever. As this was our honeymoon it was the perfect way to start our marriage.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

We had a WONDERFUL vacation/wedding/honeymoon at this resort. This was our first time at a Sandals and first time in St. Lucia. We are still a little vacation-sick because we had such a great time, we didnt want to leave. This resort is very peaceful, relaxing, small, easy to get around and quaint. Its surrounded by beautiful flowers and tropical plants. There is a grea view of the sunset each evening, a nice beach, its NOT crowded at all, we met lots of nice people and the resort is full of organized and helpful employees. The other two resorts are very large and hotel like... Halycon was more of a tropical and romantic resort with bugalows, instead of hotel rooms. We went to the other two resorts in the evening, so we ate dinner at a different place each night. We rated everything 5 star food, they had a great variety, the brekfast and lunch buffets at Halcyon are awesome and the Beachside Grill offers good snacks/stuff throughout the day and night. We did one tour while we were there that was about $100 per person, but we got to do everything we wanted all in one day. We saw the Pitons, Sulpher Springs, Botanical Gardens and went Snorkeling, all while on a day cruise. It was awesome! Then we had more time to hangout at the resort and enjoy the water sports... kayacking, wakeboarding, tubing, sailing... hanging out in the ocean, relaxing in the pool!! I did some shopping for friends back home, and the best place to shop was in the little vendor house next to water sports. Its very hidden, but once I realized it was there, I loved chatting with the ladies in there and buying the things they had to offer. Everything was VERY reasonably priced. We are definitly going to go back here again!! (If we can help it, we'd prefer fly into the airport in Castries, because its about 5 minutes from the resort. The Hawanorra airport, which is the larger and more common airport, was about 1.5 hours of a very VERY bumpy ride. The drivers are really wild and I would recommend bringing dramamine!) Feel free to email if you have any other questions, I dont mind helping out if I can.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!