So, I read many, many reviews on this site before travelling to the Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia. I admit that I was concerned by some of the bad reviews. After my week in paradise, all I can say is: those people who had a terrible time either are the nitpickiest people in the world or they had something very specifically annoying or bad happen to them. I had a fantastic time!
travel - First, a word about travel. I was concerned about the hellacious sounding 1 1/2 hour taxi ride through the jungle from the airport. But, we flew U.S. Airways who have recently dropped their direct flight to St. Lucia. We actually had to go to Barbados first for a two hour layover, and then hop a puddle -jumper to St. Lucia. Now, that may sound bad, but, the small planes fly into the small airport on the north of the island, and it was a mere 5 minute ride to the resort! Definately the way to go if you don't mind a stop in Barbados first.
Resort -The resort is gorgeous! Beautifully landscaped with tropical flowers everywhere. I personally liked the small, intimate feel of the Halcyon. You could walk from one side to the other in a matter of 5 minutes. We visited the Grande and the Regency and both are what very affluent travellers might expect from a ritzy resort. The Grande especially was for the young, buff, blonde, and waxed set. The Halycon guests represented a wide variety of young and older, hot and not-so-hot. Just unpretentious people enjoying a lovely vacation. We happened to be visiting the week that the World Cup was playing and we watched the England vs. Trinidad&Tobago game with the Brit guests and the Caribbean staff. What a blast!
Food- We've never eaten so much in a week in our lives! Breakfast buffet at the Bayside was great every morning. We especially like the Pier (yes, it can get a little hot in there), and we had our five course, wedding dinner there. Everything was delicious. We also enjoyed late night snacking at the beachside grill.
Sightseeing- You must leave the resort and go see the island! We did the Land & Sea tour - highly recommended and the horseback trip - fun, but I was really sore. We also happened upon a free trip when Della at the tours desk told us that someone had paid for, but canclled on a sunset cruise. She offered it to us on our wedding day.
Wedding - We did get married there and it was the best decision we could have made. it was just the two of us, and everything went so smoothly. The gazebo where the ceremony was held is much, much quieter and more private than the one I saw at the Grande. Our pictures and video were very professionally done and came out great.
Can't say enough about how much I loved this trip! If you're looking for a fun, laid-back honeymoon (yes, everyone there was on their honeymoon), I highly recommend the Halcyon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Friendly to the physically challenged with low rise architecture •Fully air-conditioned Caribbean cuisine restaurant on its own 150 ft pier over the •Caribbean Sea •Houses 169 Rooms with true personal service and intimate experience •English-style afternoon tea served at the Paradise pool •Tableside service at the Beach Bistro •“Stay at one, play at three” free shuttles to Sandals La Toc Golf Resort & Spa and Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort•Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row •Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia Hotel Castries
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Castries
- Sandals St Lucia
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries