“Christmas Stay 2013” 4 of 5 stars

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Choc Bay, Castries GM910, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to $355 Instant Air !!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Castries
Columbus
“Christmas Stay 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This resort is small,quaint and cozy. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. This resort is ideal for a quiet vacation. The playmakers work hard to keep the group entertained but since most customers are older participation is minimal and no activity exists.

Food: There are six restaurants which were all good. Bayside is good for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Kelly Dockside is great for an intimate and romantic dinner. Beachside Grill is good for a late snack or quick lunch, Mario's was also very good.

Beach: the water is not clear and the beach is not maintained very well. There is trash on the beach and the water is rough at times, if you want Beach time and water sports take the shuttle to The Grande,

Activities: go to Sandals LaToc or Grande and hang out and dine at their restaurants. The Pavilion at LaToc was excellent and the meat lovers crepe and raisin rum ice cream at Josephine's at The Grande was a delight.

A special shout out to the Executive Chef, Rodroy Thomas,for providing me with his excellent recipe for stewed oxtails and beans and curry goat.

Overall, a relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Bring Off or insect repellant for mosquitoes.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was our third visit to a Sandals resort,Gande st lucia and Grande Antigua being our other visits. I won't go on about the resort layout and grounds as you can get a fair idea from the other reviews. We had a top floor room in block 600 ( Eve's rooms) It did have a revamp and not just a lick of paint with maybe new curtains,we were very happy with the room. Yes I did hear a dog bark twice and I heard a odd noise from the road but to be honest for the first few nights I has to put in earplugs at night to block out the noise from the frogs,this I found funny rather than annoying.

Food the usual. The menus are good and on the whole it was good but quite often the meat would be over cooked etc. We did dine at La Toc restaurant at La Toc resort,this was lovely but they could do without the white gloves this just made it pretentious its a good restaurant but not that good.The Pitons restaurant is also a must,but again cooking for large numbers and the
chefs struggle. The Kimonos at lLa Toc is the best I woulds ay,if you get the Japanese chef you will be very well entertained.

A big shout out to the vast majority of the staff who really do work very hard and long hours,especially the playmakers. Also, the manager of the Mario's restaurant,didn't note his name but he has the best smile ever and always in a suit. Danny only ever served me once but he had and air of experience about him and made the best Magarita ever

My Grumbles.
Food standards dropped,not just in cooking skills but for instance the Pier restaurant you choose your meat than you choose one side being either potatoes or one type of veg. Whats that about,is it really too much to want both potatoes and veg ? we did ask for this and was told no we can only pick one from the list ! not to mention that the veg was one batton of each carrot and swede,not exactly exotic veg!

Prepare to be harassed by the wine waiter ( Davis) You will have to say no Thank You to looking at his wine list about four times till he eventually lets you have the inclusive wines. For choosing the inclusive you will be punished by when you want a top up you will literally be given a egg cup size top up regardless of how much is in your glass. Everyone seemed to be treated the same by him but the other wine waiter seemed fine(I think his name was Larry) In the end it was easier to take your own glass in or have a wine free meal. Maybe this is the training given as the Spa staff(in the other resorts)and photographers are similar.

Went to reception to ask if they knew when the Funway rep was here next as I wanted to book the Virgin Check in,chill out for the flight home. Very unhelpful response,had a conversation back and forth,me being told go back to my room and work out for yourself how to get in touch with them,me highlighting I can't as I have not at any point been given and phone number or visiting times for a Funway rep. But no,reception claimed they can't/won't help me in this simple matter. We to Concierge and spoke to Melissa who was lovely and had phoned the main st Lucian reps office in the town and found out for me that Funway no longer have reps on the island but I could speak to someone called Lisa who was due the next day(she covered various companies) It honestly took about one minute for her to deal with it. Big shout out to Concierge Melissa and a big BOO to reception.

Overall I think Sandals are now cutting corners. The cocktails are getting more and more ice put into them along with cheaper and cheaper alcohol. Choice of branded alcohol limited,I remember there being a wider choice on my first Sandals holiday. Food as mentioned above.

Note to Management. Why on earth don't you see that the Virgin Check in,chill out is actually a selling point to the holiday which you should be highlighting and helping your guests with. Anything that makes the guests travel to and from your resort easier can only be a good thing and it's of no cost to Sandals as this service is provided by Virgin not sandals, all Sandals has to do is be more helpful to the guest who is enquiring when this can be booked( you have to book it 2 days in advance) or better still highlight to guests on arrival of this service as I know of many who didn't know so we gave them the info.

No holiday is ever perfect and yes I am a hard person to please, so for me to say that yes I would return to any Sandals resorts that I have stayed at they must be doing something right. I only hope they don't slip any further with their attention to detail and they really need to have a look at their training of reception,wine waiter,spa and photography staff.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Buford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful resort from 11-21 through 11-28. It was one of my favorite vacations. Heslie at the Neptunes bar makes the best drinks, Javan at the Cabanas was one of the best customer service people we met. FYI, bring your own cups to the swim up bar, we witnessed no glasses were washed, other that- the resort was beautiful, clean and all food was delicious. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013
Bracebridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed at Sandals Halcyon from Dec 8 to Dec 15 2013. Overall we had an excellent time.
A very quiet & relaxing resort. The beach at the Grande was by far the best of the three Sandals Resorts and you could easily catch the shuttle there at designated times during the day. The selection and the food its self was great at the Halcyon. If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing place to vacation this is for you. At any time if you want a little night life and partying just hop on a shuttle. Thank you to all the staff, and a special thank you to Mellisa at concierge, you did a fantastic job taking care of all our needs.

Room Tip: We were in room 511 at the quiet pool, Very relaxing and quiet at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for you review and the lovely photos.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach and exploring the beautiful island of St. Lucia. Being able to visit the other properties does indeed maximize your fun and it's wonderful that you enjoyed this bonus!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
St Julian's
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was a surprise trip so had no idea what was in store - but I was amazed and had the best 2 weeks ever in a long while.......apart from this excellent resort we had the choice of visiting the sister resorts too Le Grande and Le Toc so you didn't get bored being in the one place and had over 12 restaurants to eat from depending on your mood, plus 3 beaches and amazing pools... some you had to book and dress up others you could stay casual - a courtesy bus was available every 20 - 30 mins between the resorts - Halcyon was the best for me as it was the smaller resort and more a couples place so was quieter and more private but if you fancied meeting people the other 2 resorts where there for you ....... we also did scuba diving, quad bikes, whale and dolphin watching and made our way over to Martinique to get a taste for a future holiday... service was one of the best I have come across apart from Mauritius and I was nearly in tears when leaving .... my husband can book that trip again anytime I don't need second asking

Room Tip: Being on the 2nd floor is nice as you don't have heeled shoes walking on your ceiling at odd hou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Vivienne!
We are thrilled that you had such an amazing time at Sandals Halcyon Beach and that it was such a pleasant surprise! It's great that you also enjoyed visiting the other properties and exploring all the available options!
We hope to welcome you back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from a five day trip to Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia. Overall we had a great time and were impressed with the small but well maintained resort. Very nice grounds and clearly the staff works hard to keep things nice. Having previously stayed at several other Sandals properties, we had researched this resort thoroughly before booking and it certainly met or even exceeded our expectations. This resort is more intimate and a bit less active than the Grand, which is relatively close, and also smaller and more personal than LaToc. The food was very good, the servers and restaurant staff were friendly, and the activites staff very personable and fun. We had a great time with the pool games and activites. We had a romantic candelight dinner on the beach which was very nice and our server was very good and a delight to talk to. We also traveled to LaToc one evening for a very nice dinner there. The Japaneese restaurant on site at Halcyon was outstanding and a great time! The rooms at Halcyon were fine, franky a little "quaint", but pretty much as advertised. The pool areas were good, one "fun" and one more private - we called it the old people pool. The beach was modest but servicable, and while there is no spa, there is a nice gym and they do offer massages on site. The trip from the main airport is about 90 minutes and pretty curvy so prepare yourselves. We took a helicopter back to the airport which was much quicker and a fun way to see the island. My suggestions to Sandals management (who will post some lame comment in response to this post) would be on two fronts. As returning "silver sandals" guests we frankly never felt very "thanked" for our return business and were never approached by the soon come back team to secure our next stay (we are already booked for one but did it ourselves). Second, the front desk staff was very aloof and given their level of interaction with the guests in need for much improvement. The check in process was fine and our person was friendly but after that every interaction with the front desk staff was almost comical with their level of disinterest. Given that we are pretty low maintenance guests who rarely compIain it was very disappointing. I think the Stewart family (owners) should disguise themselves and check in to give it a whirl......I bet that would change a few things at the front desk!

Room Tip: I would suggest a second level room for privacy. There are also some nice walkouts near the beach...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Marc.
We are pleased that you had a great time at Sandal Halcyon Beach and enjoyed the unique charm of the resort. However, we are disappointed to hear that you felt that some of the service you received was not to our usual high standards. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and we will take the appropriate steps to ensure that we do not receive similar feedback in the future.
We do request that while on resort you notify us of anything that displeases you. We are always willing to work with you to make sure you leave with the best vacation experience possible.
Thank you once again for your review.
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We came to Sandals Halcyon Beach for a once in a lifetime experience over the Christmas/New Year Holiday period - why did we bother?

No Atmosphere, No Christmas Spirit and No Christmas Lunch!

Well there was a lunch of sorts turkey and chips! come on Sandals you charge a premium for being here over the holiday period but there is nothing special about the place at all!

We are well seasoned travellers having this year alone been to the Philippines twice and Egypt as well as various destinations in Europe so know what to expect from 'Premium' brands.

It is unfortunate the weather has been particularly bad but the staff (with some notable exceptions) could not careless and really have no interest in making our holiday a pleasant experience.

We can assure you we will never be staying here again and will not be recommending Sandals resorts to any of our friends and family.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality during your stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious accommodations. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We strive to meet our motto: Luxury All-Inclusive Vacations for Two People in Love. We are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities so I will be sure to send your feedback to the relevant departments.

I hope this message finds you well.

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!