“Disgusting mess twice” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gosport
“Disgusting mess twice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

What a terrible waste of money the 4 of us spent. Worst Holiday experience ever. We had an upgraded sea front villa and two of these as My father and Mother in Law were with us to. Our company was great but Sandals had no attention to detail and the toilets backed up twice and we had to be moved. The rooms were so run down we would never ever go back there terrible waste of time and money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We regret to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations. Because of that, please accept my apologies. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We do request that while on resort you notify us of anything that does not meet your standards. We are always willing to work with you to make sure you walk away feeling like your stay was money well spent.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Cassie C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I went to Sandals Halcyon for our honeymoon 12/08/12. (He 30, me 25) We stayed in one of the butler ocean front rooms. We arrived by private transfers from the airport but it was dark till we got there. The road is very twisty, take something if you get car sick! We were given warm towles right as we pulled into the resort. While everyone was sitting in the lobby filling out paperwork our buttler (Willard) gave us a tour of the resort. We stopped at our room where there was cheese, crackers, and a bottle of champaigne waiting for us. Our bags were already brought to our room. Willard explained how everything worked in our room, gave us a list of our dinner reservations for the whole week, and gave us a cell phone to call any of our 3 buttlers at any time of day or night. We had the luxury of filling out our paperwork in our room. He asked if he could unpack our bags for us, but we felt that we could do this ourselves. Our first dinner reservation was at the Pier. (This is the one over the water at the Halcyon). Wonderful food, we were starving from the plane ride. After dinner my husband and I decided to take another stroll around the grounds. It is SO pretty at night. They have fire pits around the resort with comfy chairs by them. In the middle of the gardens they have cabanas where we spent one rainy afternoon. That night we went to the piano bar and found it to be very quiet with nobody playing the piano.

The next morning we woke up, went to breakfast, and went back to the quiet pool. The pool area filled up quick so we had a spot in the shade. At the swim up bar the bartender Agnes really knows her stuff! We made friends with 2 other couples and spent the afternoon drinking, swimming, and relaxing. Our dinner reservation that night was at Gordons (buttler only guests), this is located at the Grand Resort. It was ok, nothing to write home about. When we got back from the Grand we stopped for a night cap at the main bar where we met the one and only Kerby.... we fell in LOVE with him! Kerby was one of the funniest bar tenders we have ever met! Before we went to bed I called our buttler to ask him to reserve us a spot at the quiet pool the next day in the sun.

After breakfast the next morning another buttler (Sylvia) escorted us to our spot at the pool. She packed a cooler of beer and other drinks. This was very nice of her, but the bar was litterally 10 feet away. I do have to say that the cooler did come in handy when we went down to the beach that afternoon. I was dissapointed by the beach. I was expecting the beach to look like the pictures on the website, the "crystal clear Aqua water"... not the case here. The waves were actually big and the whole week there was this mess of seaweed in the water. My legs got tangled in it and it FREAKED ME OUT! The water sounded so nice as you were laying there or in our room, but it was a little merky. (if you want the perfect "Sandals" ocean in Saint Lucia i would say to pick the Grand)

The rest of our stay it rained every morning so we couldnt get out and relax in the sun till after 12:00. When we did get to enjoy the sun we went to the main pool where we played all different sports, and made tie dye t-shirts. We took 2 different trips through the "Island Route" tours, we just told our buttler what we wanted and they set them up for us. We did the ATV adventure which was nice. There were storms that morning so we couldn't really ride on the sand. It is a tour of the atlantic side of the island. It was ok but not really worth the money. The other tour that we took was the "Joe Knows Tour" OMG so much fun! I would recommend this to people of all ages. It is more for the younger crowd, with the music, the dancing, the BODY SHOTS! (haha) but there were some older couples on our boat too and they seemed to have a great time.

We ate at Kimono's at La toc - didn't like it... we ended coming back and eating at the midnight grill. We had reservations for LaToc which is supposed to be upscale. That was the day that we had our mud bath in the Volcano... we couldn't get clean enough for that place. We called our buttler and we just stayed at the Halcyon that night. We went to Mario's, we werent big fans of that place either. Tons of pasta. I think our favorite palce to eat was actually at LaToc at the Piton's. The view was perfect, there was a steel drum playing while we ate and our waitress was SO nice!

We had such a wonderful time at Sandals Halcyon we are planning on going back, i don't think we will be getting a buttler next time. Although having a buttler was nice we really didn't use them for the extra money that we paid. You can get the same rooms on the other side of the main pool at a concierge level.

Pro's: No Building is above the palm trees! Staff is so welcoming and nice, Quiet with a mix of all age couples, 15 min from either resort!! Our room was decorated different every night by our buttlers.

Con's: The beach was a little rough and dirty (not the sand, that was raked... the water wasn't perfect), It rained at some point every day (as to be expected), The main bar closed around midnight. Our room was nice but our bathroom was very dated!

My heart really goes out to the people of Saint Lucia. They do not get paid the best, but work their butt off. Kirby who is the best bartender in the world said to us that if you have a job with Sandals you can get a job at any of the other hotels on the island no questions asked! That has to say something for the people of Sandals!

I would recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of Sandals Halcyon! I'm glad you had such a fantastic honeymoon and that we were able to share that experience with you. We always strive to create romantic and memorable vacations for our guests and it seems your stay was indicative of the norm.

We can't wait to have you visit us again!

Telford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

From Mr Lennox DuPall to Mathew the gardener everyone one was fantastic, Paymakers Vianna was a dream, as well as Garfield and Neiliam we had the most brillient time, everyone knows your name there as its a small homley resort, it,rained a lot but we played cricket for 2hrs in it, met wonderful people like Julian & Sue, Jack & Ann & Robyn & Pat, the rooms and food were 1st class, but wish they would do a buffet at night time in the Bayside like they do at lunch time, I think the St Lucians are probably the friendliest people we met a lot of locals on the beach at weekends and all came over and chatted to us, looking forward to going back one day. Also its wheelchair friendly everything is nice an flat on one level. We were in block 700 no problem with the noise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Sandals Halcyon Beach. It's so great to read that you had such a phenomenal visit with us. We always want our guests to have a wonderful time in a comfortable and worry-free environment filled with friendly staff who are eager to serve.

We hope that you will visit us again very soon.

Happy Travels!

Worcester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We got married on the beach at the halcyon on 18/05/2013, the food was excellent & the staff were hard working lovely people,

The room was very good & well maintained, the location is stunning & there is plenty to do with access to Sandals La Toc & the grand included with shuttles.

I don't hesitate to recommend the sandals halcyon as an excellent choice

SK

NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The island is gorgeous, the staff were all wonderful, and the grounds were well kept and lush. We enjoyed the quiet vibe, although evenings were VERY quiet. Those looking for night life and a bigger party scene would do better at the Grand. The beach was not really as pictured in most of the brochures....this is NOT a white sand beach with clear blue waters but a brown sand beach with murky water. Certainly no snorkeling right off the beach here. We went to the Grand one day and that beach was awesome with clear water you could snorkel in. It was nice to have the privilege built into the package. The beach vendors were all very respectful...we even made friends with some and chatted a bit. Got a nice fresh mango and coconut right from the tree from one of them :)

The room: Was a pretty standard affair that had probably seen better days. Yellowed tile in the main area, blue cracked tiles in the bath with yellowed grout, and some stains on the walls.
The hairdryer in the room was fried (looked like the plug had exploded). We did get another that worked fine. There was no place to plug in the hairdryer in the bathroom though (only outlets for a shaver). I'd suggest they add outlets for dryers in the bathroom. I had to use the outlet by the desk...just a bit awkward. The bed was super-comfy though, lots of closet space and drawers to spread out clothes. A nice little veranda area to sit out on overlooking the garden. The seats here need cushions though as they aren't all that comfortable. This room was described as "Honeymoon Luxury Walkout Ocean View"...just be aware that luxury may be a little overstated if you are thinking of a 5 star US hotel room and that walkout ocean view literally means you must walk out of your room to get a glimpse of blue through the trees. Our room was in the 300's and was a very short walk to the beach, far enough from the stage and pool area to avoid late night bar noise, and close to the quiet pool tucked in the rear of the resort. Beach chairs were always available, access to shade was good, nice private cabanas that you could just grab (no reservations needed), and some nightly entertainment. One suggestion...the hotel might want to vary the loop of music they play so visitors who are there a week don't hear the same music every day. And I'd love more Caribbean music rather than Rod Stewart crooning outdated love ballads. Steel drums, Reggae, and local flavor is what travel is all about :) I might also suggest screens for the windows and doors so guests can enjoy the night air without getting mosquitoes in the room. Also, when using the insect company you might want to do this in the very early morning or very late at night since some guests might not wish to walk through a cloud of noxious gas at 5:30PM on the way to dinner that is "supposed" to kill bugs yet be OK for me to breathe and have on my clothing?

The food: Was a little hit or miss....Mario's...my dinner was excellent. Sadly, my husband found a few very small dead flies in his soup which pretty much turned him off the rest of his meal. I know it is the tropics and this can happen but when we told the waitress she didn't really respond...I wondered if she didn't quite understand what my husband had told her as he was quite calm about the whole issue. Neither of us likes to make a big deal of such things but we wanted them to know to check the soup so no one else had the same issue. Kimonos was AWESOME..both the full meal and sushi bar portion. Dockside was fair...my husband liked his meal while my steak was less than stellar. The Bayside was also hit or miss...some great items like curried goat and the French dinner night was lovely. Breakfast has eggs that were somewhat runny and underdone and then awesome omelets....if you didn't like one thing you could grab something else. We went to Piton at Le Toc and that was high end food. We also went to Barefoot at the Grand and that was high end food. We really felt if we returned we'd eat dinner at the other resorts more than we did this time.

Cats on Property: This was a double edged sword for me...I LOVE cats and loved having them around BUT I do think if the resort is going to have a feral colony there they should take some responsibility in caring for those who are sick or injured. It was VERY hard for me to see a cat with a festering sore on her mouth with maggots in it that smelled of rot. This poor animal will die a slow horrid death when all she probably needs is antibiotics. Others clearly had mange, severe bite wounds, and one had neurological issues so she walked all cock-eyed. And yes I fed the cats, especially the ones who looked sick and skinny each day even though one staff member asked me not to do so. I can't see anyone with a heart being able to stuff themselves at an all-inclusive resort while a clearly hungry animal stares at you from the floor...if you had cat food out and clean water for them I might not be tempted to feed them my steak but as it stands, I will gladly drop my steak for them! I'd love to see these animals cared for and NEUTERED.

Excursions: We took Julian's boat tour which we booked on the beach. Great tour, good price, and we saw and did lots. It was a better value than the tour we booked at the hotel desk for dolphin and whale watching. We used the resort kayaks which was fun (the seats were shot though so don't expect back support there). The maintenance on the water sports equipment was clearly haphazard.

Overall: If you are looking for a quiet resort with lots of greenery, nice staff, and a quiet beach and you aren't overly picky about "luxury" accommodations, then this fits the bill. We never really got to take a honeymoon when we got married 9 years ago so this was our "couples" retreat...there were LOTS on newlyweds here.

Room Tip: The 400's block was quite near the beach yet quiet.
Berkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from the Halycon. We had a super experience. Everything was good from arrival to departure. The location was lovely and our room suited us perfectly, the bed was comfortable, room 311 was in a very peaceful area and was cleaned and bedding freshened every day. We spent most of the morning and afternoon at the small pool with the wonderful Agnes and a lovely trainee called Solange who was extremely helpful under Agnes' supervision. The dining facilities were good at the Halcyon, we found the Kelly's food good but the restaurant was extremely noisey the evening we were there. We liked the Bayside very much, the quality of the food here was excellent and choice superb. We met a group of lovely staff here, Soraya was extremely helpful and professional. Francis and Amanda too and we met a very attentive trainee called Eddie. I wish we could have this quality of customer care and efficiency back in the U.K. We visited and ate at the Grand and Le Toc but we much preferred the intimate atmosphere of the Halcyon. We enjoyed Mario's the Italian restaurent very much and found Stefano an excellent Manager who would always have time to meet and greet and always on hand to help with any enquiry. Front of house were all cheerful and helpful too.
I read tripadvisor comments about the Halcyon before I visited and was very unsure of what to expect at the resort but all I can say is we had a super time at this "first class" resort.
The whole place is well run under the guidance of a very approachable and friendly General Manager. We hope to return at a time when the humidity is not as high.

Room Tip: 311 was excellently situated for all amenities and very quiet at night.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Hello.
After months of research, we chose Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia as our Honeymoon retreat. Overall the trip was amazing! This was our first "all inclusive" experience and it was awesome! The resort was gorgeous and secluded, the staff were friendly, the drinks were always flowing, the food was great (especially at Mario's and at the La Toc Resort). The Stay at 1, Play at 3 option was definitely a bonus! There are cats roaming about the grounds, but no worries, the resort vaccinates them as they are part of the family. The only negatives were: the very long, windy ride from/to the airport (I have motion sickness) but our private driver drove with care and if you have a spa treatment at another resort than where you are staying, they charge you an additional resort fee and you find out at the end of your treatment. Other than that we truly enjoyed our Honeymoon getaway!!! Thank you Sandals Halcyon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Adam's Orchard Honeymoon Hideaway Concierge room and loved it. The concierge op...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!