“Great wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
“Great wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We got married on the beach at the halcyon on 18/05/2013, the food was excellent & the staff were hard working lovely people,

The room was very good & well maintained, the location is stunning & there is plenty to do with access to Sandals La Toc & the grand included with shuttles.

I don't hesitate to recommend the sandals halcyon as an excellent choice

SK

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The island is gorgeous, the staff were all wonderful, and the grounds were well kept and lush. We enjoyed the quiet vibe, although evenings were VERY quiet. Those looking for night life and a bigger party scene would do better at the Grand. The beach was not really as pictured in most of the brochures....this is NOT a white sand beach with clear blue waters but a brown sand beach with murky water. Certainly no snorkeling right off the beach here. We went to the Grand one day and that beach was awesome with clear water you could snorkel in. It was nice to have the privilege built into the package. The beach vendors were all very respectful...we even made friends with some and chatted a bit. Got a nice fresh mango and coconut right from the tree from one of them :)

The room: Was a pretty standard affair that had probably seen better days. Yellowed tile in the main area, blue cracked tiles in the bath with yellowed grout, and some stains on the walls.
The hairdryer in the room was fried (looked like the plug had exploded). We did get another that worked fine. There was no place to plug in the hairdryer in the bathroom though (only outlets for a shaver). I'd suggest they add outlets for dryers in the bathroom. I had to use the outlet by the desk...just a bit awkward. The bed was super-comfy though, lots of closet space and drawers to spread out clothes. A nice little veranda area to sit out on overlooking the garden. The seats here need cushions though as they aren't all that comfortable. This room was described as "Honeymoon Luxury Walkout Ocean View"...just be aware that luxury may be a little overstated if you are thinking of a 5 star US hotel room and that walkout ocean view literally means you must walk out of your room to get a glimpse of blue through the trees. Our room was in the 300's and was a very short walk to the beach, far enough from the stage and pool area to avoid late night bar noise, and close to the quiet pool tucked in the rear of the resort. Beach chairs were always available, access to shade was good, nice private cabanas that you could just grab (no reservations needed), and some nightly entertainment. One suggestion...the hotel might want to vary the loop of music they play so visitors who are there a week don't hear the same music every day. And I'd love more Caribbean music rather than Rod Stewart crooning outdated love ballads. Steel drums, Reggae, and local flavor is what travel is all about :) I might also suggest screens for the windows and doors so guests can enjoy the night air without getting mosquitoes in the room. Also, when using the insect company you might want to do this in the very early morning or very late at night since some guests might not wish to walk through a cloud of noxious gas at 5:30PM on the way to dinner that is "supposed" to kill bugs yet be OK for me to breathe and have on my clothing?

The food: Was a little hit or miss....Mario's...my dinner was excellent. Sadly, my husband found a few very small dead flies in his soup which pretty much turned him off the rest of his meal. I know it is the tropics and this can happen but when we told the waitress she didn't really respond...I wondered if she didn't quite understand what my husband had told her as he was quite calm about the whole issue. Neither of us likes to make a big deal of such things but we wanted them to know to check the soup so no one else had the same issue. Kimonos was AWESOME..both the full meal and sushi bar portion. Dockside was fair...my husband liked his meal while my steak was less than stellar. The Bayside was also hit or miss...some great items like curried goat and the French dinner night was lovely. Breakfast has eggs that were somewhat runny and underdone and then awesome omelets....if you didn't like one thing you could grab something else. We went to Piton at Le Toc and that was high end food. We also went to Barefoot at the Grand and that was high end food. We really felt if we returned we'd eat dinner at the other resorts more than we did this time.

Cats on Property: This was a double edged sword for me...I LOVE cats and loved having them around BUT I do think if the resort is going to have a feral colony there they should take some responsibility in caring for those who are sick or injured. It was VERY hard for me to see a cat with a festering sore on her mouth with maggots in it that smelled of rot. This poor animal will die a slow horrid death when all she probably needs is antibiotics. Others clearly had mange, severe bite wounds, and one had neurological issues so she walked all cock-eyed. And yes I fed the cats, especially the ones who looked sick and skinny each day even though one staff member asked me not to do so. I can't see anyone with a heart being able to stuff themselves at an all-inclusive resort while a clearly hungry animal stares at you from the floor...if you had cat food out and clean water for them I might not be tempted to feed them my steak but as it stands, I will gladly drop my steak for them! I'd love to see these animals cared for and NEUTERED.

Excursions: We took Julian's boat tour which we booked on the beach. Great tour, good price, and we saw and did lots. It was a better value than the tour we booked at the hotel desk for dolphin and whale watching. We used the resort kayaks which was fun (the seats were shot though so don't expect back support there). The maintenance on the water sports equipment was clearly haphazard.

Overall: If you are looking for a quiet resort with lots of greenery, nice staff, and a quiet beach and you aren't overly picky about "luxury" accommodations, then this fits the bill. We never really got to take a honeymoon when we got married 9 years ago so this was our "couples" retreat...there were LOTS on newlyweds here.

Room Tip: The 400's block was quite near the beach yet quiet.
Berkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from the Halycon. We had a super experience. Everything was good from arrival to departure. The location was lovely and our room suited us perfectly, the bed was comfortable, room 311 was in a very peaceful area and was cleaned and bedding freshened every day. We spent most of the morning and afternoon at the small pool with the wonderful Agnes and a lovely trainee called Solange who was extremely helpful under Agnes' supervision. The dining facilities were good at the Halcyon, we found the Kelly's food good but the restaurant was extremely noisey the evening we were there. We liked the Bayside very much, the quality of the food here was excellent and choice superb. We met a group of lovely staff here, Soraya was extremely helpful and professional. Francis and Amanda too and we met a very attentive trainee called Eddie. I wish we could have this quality of customer care and efficiency back in the U.K. We visited and ate at the Grand and Le Toc but we much preferred the intimate atmosphere of the Halcyon. We enjoyed Mario's the Italian restaurent very much and found Stefano an excellent Manager who would always have time to meet and greet and always on hand to help with any enquiry. Front of house were all cheerful and helpful too.
I read tripadvisor comments about the Halcyon before I visited and was very unsure of what to expect at the resort but all I can say is we had a super time at this "first class" resort.
The whole place is well run under the guidance of a very approachable and friendly General Manager. We hope to return at a time when the humidity is not as high.

Room Tip: 311 was excellently situated for all amenities and very quiet at night.
Las Vegas, Nevada

Hello.
After months of research, we chose Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia as our Honeymoon retreat. Overall the trip was amazing! This was our first "all inclusive" experience and it was awesome! The resort was gorgeous and secluded, the staff were friendly, the drinks were always flowing, the food was great (especially at Mario's and at the La Toc Resort). The Stay at 1, Play at 3 option was definitely a bonus! There are cats roaming about the grounds, but no worries, the resort vaccinates them as they are part of the family. The only negatives were: the very long, windy ride from/to the airport (I have motion sickness) but our private driver drove with care and if you have a spa treatment at another resort than where you are staying, they charge you an additional resort fee and you find out at the end of your treatment. Other than that we truly enjoyed our Honeymoon getaway!!! Thank you Sandals Halcyon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Adam's Orchard Honeymoon Hideaway Concierge room and loved it. The concierge op...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at the Halcyon Resort from May 18th to the 25th and it was wonderful.
We traveled with two other couples of our family. We stayed in adams orchard concierge room which featured a patio and faced the paradise pool. It was nicely decorated and sized appropriately. The stocked mini-bar was a nice addition. I requested some tequila that was not stocked and they gladly supplied it for me. The bartender at the paradise pool is one not to be missed and her name has been mentioned in many reviews. We are talking about Agnes and what an asset to the company she is. She will go out of her way to make you a drink that you will love and she is a very caring and loving person.
The Halcyon is a great resort that needs just a little updating but the quality that makes it stand apart from the Grand and the La Toc are the employees. Dean at the soon come back desk is a great person who charms you into wanting to come back soon. Melissa at the front desk supplied us with a cab when the shuttle filled up before we could get on it due to people pushing their way in front of us. Stefano at Mario’s is fantastic and the food is top Italian.
There are beach vendors who will try to get you to buy their goods and all I can say is buy them and enjoy because these vendors make quality goods.
I rate this resort 4 stars only because it needs a little updating but 5 stars because of the employees.
In closing I would say that I would like to return in the future to enjoy the culture of these wonderful people who live on this island. The world would be a better place if more people were like the St. Lucians.
Thank you Sandal’s for great memories

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This really was the most perfect place for our wedding in 2007. The resort is stunning and the food excellent. It's all inclusive so all drinks were free. They made superb cocktails and we had several bottles of champagne to celebrate our wedding. The restaurants were all amazing, especially the Pier restaurant. And what a setting! I even went in the pool on several occasions (I'm not a swimmer and don't like water) but the pool was so inviting and there were no children, only couples so it felt safe.

The wedding itself was completely hassle free. They made all the arrangements and all we had to do was sign some paperwork and sit back and relax while we waited for the big day. They provided a photographer, a cake and flowers. We got married on the beach, using our own words and promises. It was The most romantic occasion and we were made to feel very special.

The staff were the friendliest I've ever experienced.

We had a beach front property and it was beautiful. Stunning views and the grounds are gorgeous. The only downside for us was the feeling that we didn't want to leave the resort too often. We saw a lot of poverty as we drove from the airport and were warned not to take valuables out if we went out of the resort. This made us uneasy about venturing too far, though we had a couple of great days at the other resorts on the island, and didn't feel the need to go further afield.

I heartily recommend this to anyone, especially getting married there!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The grounds were amazing and most of the staff were great particularly the bar tenders. They should mention that there will be a 1.5 hour ride from the airport on a terrifying road with a driver that passes oncoming cars unsafely. There were a lot of "rules" but I can over look that I was however disappointed in the beach, the sand and water were no where near is lovely as the images on the site. All in all the beaches in Mexico are better and closer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!