“Updated Review about 8 days in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1 Free Night!!
Ranked #5 of 17 hotels in Castries
Calgary
“Updated Review about 8 days in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I decided to update my initial review since, when I wrote the original one, I didn't give enough detail that Halcyon deserves!

My husband and I went to Sandals Halcyon last May and, as my title says, it was 8 days that we shall never forget. After doing months of research about different resorts and various islands we both knew this was the place for us. As many have said, if you want to party til dawn...this isn't the resort for you. La Toc is the party resort of the three. DO YOUR RESEARCH...I can't stress that enough.

We are in our 50's and were looking for a relaxing holiday/anniversary resort and could not have chosen better! We are lucky enough to be able to spend more $ on our trip so we decided to hire the private car instead of going via the Sandals Van. It was one of the best decisions we made. Yes it takes a hour and half both ways but the drivers gave us alot of information about St. Lucia and pointed out various landmarks. The roads aren't horrible, twisty yes. But these guys know the roads like the back of their hands. We felt completely safe.

Another thing I can't stress enough...if you can swing it get Butler Service. Our butlers, Will and Silveria, were wonderful. We aren't fussy people so we didn't run them ragged...but they would have done anything asked. Basically, we had them make reservations at the various restaurants both at Halcyon and at La Toc. We never made it to The Grande. They also reserved chairs for us at the 'quiet' pool and arranged our trip to go Dolphin Watching. Amazing...we didn't have to worry about anything and just relaxed. Oh, and we had champagne and a wonderful bubble bath waiting for us after our Dolphin trip! These details made the trip extra special.

Unlike other reviews, we didn't have problems with the food being cold and unedible. Bayside does take a bit of getting used to due to the fact that it is an outside restaurant and the heat can get to you, but it only took us a day or so to get acclimated to the climate. Bayside has a HUGE breakfast buffet which was our favorite. Lunch was ok. We only ate dinner there once (bbq night) and it was meh. My husband enjoyed it though.

The PIer was fabulous. Their conch soup and ahi tuna salad was out of this world. And their filet mignon was top notch.

My favorite was Dinos the Italian restaurant. I had mushroom risotto three nights of the seven and I still miss it. Lovely little restaurant. Antipasto bar can't be missed.

The beachside grill was fun. Food was good...it's a grill for goodness sakes! Hot dogs, Hamburgers and nachos.

Drinks weren't watered down as far as I could tell. We went to the 'quiet' pool every morning and I have to join the others giving kudos to Agnes at the swim up pool. She is a joy!

On to our room. We stayed in room 135...one of the Romeo and Juliet Beachfront Walkout rooms. It is small but very comfortable. No complaints at all. The bathroom needs updating but nothing so bad that turned us off. If you don't want to be on the main pathway to the restaurants, ask for this block of cottages. We were able to sit on our patio every morning and feel a bit more private than if we had the walkouts directly on the beach. Yes there are cats but they are shy and yes there are tree frogs that start chirping at dusk but we were able to get used to it after two nights. Think of it as 'white noise'. And the grounds staff...can't say enough about them. Always happy and friendly. We didn't meet one surly employee the entire time.

We met many lovely couples during our stay...ranging in age from late 20's to 70ish. It didn't matter if you were American, Canadian or British. Fun times were had by all!

I can't comment about the beach since we aren't beach or water sports people..but yes, it's not pristine white sand. St. Lucia is a volcanic island so the only white beaches are manmade (such as the one at The Grande). And yes, the vendors do hang out but just say 'no thank you' and they will leave you alone.

There are shuttles that run between the three resorts...I agree with others that they should run them every hour and not every two. Another great thing about these resorts is that if one of the shuttles was full, they would have another one pull up immediatley. It's small details like that which impressed us with Sandals.

I could go on forever..we loved Halcyon and will be back. Next May, on the advice of a couple we met, we have booked Sandals Negril.

Thank you Sandals for the wonderful vacation. We will be back time and time again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

2,215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I just returned from the Halycon after staying there for 3 planned days prior to then meandering over to the Grande for 7 days (separate review pending). This beautiful quiet resort is located on the edge of Castries and for us posed no problems in terms of either slight traffic noise or barking dogs in the distance. The brown sand beach is narrow and lined with palm trees. (reserve your spot early) The water is wavy both coming in and out and were fun and safe to play in (on a green flag day) but probably contributed to the impressions its wasnt clear due to the sand being stirred up..the main pool was louder and the plunge pool smaller and somewhat crowded.. We were situated in a top floor corner room overlooking the gardens with the ocean and beach peeking through the palm trees and foilage. It was decorated in high quality furnishings, an extremely comfortable bed and overall reminded us of a cottage effect. The washroom fixtures were older and the front hallway smaller.The door combined with the double shutters that were able to be flung open to the balcony allowed for excellant views and an open air feeling to the place. Our mini bar was stocked everyday. We thouroughly enjoyed the Pier restaurant with the tasty food and great house wine dining with quiet piano playing in the background. We never had to wait longer than 10 minutes to be seated. Staff were very pleasant and helpfull with us as were the beach vendors who didnt harass us when they understood we werent interested in purchasing anything. We would not personally be suited to the beach front rooms as they seem dark and are directly located on the main pathway with people walking by so leaving window curtains or doors open would certainly affect privacy issues...really a personal choice though as we like to have everything opened up normally.St Lucia is an extremely beautiful island best viewed from the water. Having travelled to many Caribbean islands and Mexico it is now our favorite island and we will return. If you've booked the Halycon or are considering it and you are accepting of a smaller resort with all its perks and imperfections do not even hestitate:)..both other Sandals properties are 15 minutes away either side of you by way of a free shuttle....relax and enjoy:)...give the cats a lil hug for me if you go...
thanks

Tramper

Room Tip: corner partial ocean view rooms which overlook the gardens beyond to the beach and water have larger...
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort over the Thanksgiving break and were greatly disappointed! I will try to explain in as much detail why my new bride and I had such a terrible time while staying at this resort. We ended up leaving this resort after 2 days and were transferred to the Sandals La Toc location. The staff at Sandals La Toc saved our honeymoon from disaster!!!!

Short List: Negatives
-Rooms are outdated and underwhelming
-Drinks are watered down
-Food is cold and tastes horrible
-Employees are angry that they work there
-Room fridge did not get restocked in concierge room
-Entertainment was lacking (2 teens with a keyboard)
-Pressure washing at 9am
-Beach water was not clear or clean
-Management staff was not accommodating
-Towel stations were always empty

After two flights from New Orleans and then Miami and a very long drive(2hours) from the airport to the resort, you will be hassled by the staff to sign your life away. They make you sign waivers for everything you do and anything that could possibly happen to you while you are in St Lucia. If something does happen to you, I hope you are prepared to sue them in St Lucia court and abide by St Lucian Law.

After the ordeal of filling out paperwork, we were told of the Honeymooners Dinner that was happening that night. I was tired from the flight but thought that I would be missing out on something special if we didn't go so I mustered up the energy to attend. Boy was I in for a surprise!!! The food was buffet style and was overall terrible. Every single item was ice cold!!! We are not picky eaters, but I felt like we were going to go hungry that night. The entertainment was two teenage boys (1 singing while 1 played a Casio Keyboard) singing cheesy American love songs.

The next morning I was awakened at 8am by the sound of pressure washing outside of our room. I had to call the front desk to ask them to cease. This also happened the next morning around 9am. I guess they didn't get the picture the first time that people on vacation may like to sleep in a bit! There is also a highway running parallel with the resort so be prepared to be awakened by trucks revving their engines trying to make it up the steep hills. (We were in the top room offered and were literally 20 feet from the road.)

The food at Bayside, which is the Buffet for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, is also inedible. The food selection will leave you feeling cheated and hungry! We ate here for breakfast and lunch on one occasion. We learned our lesson after that.

The staff at this Sandals Location is hit or miss. You will find some people who are happy to work here, but the majority seem jaded that they work at the least desirable location. We encountered rude people while trying to be seated at Bayside, a rude waitress at the Honeymooners Dinner, and the Manager at the Sandals Halcyon (Wayne) is just as rude as he is clueless.

The beach is very underwhelming. Don't expect to find crystal clear blue water at this location. You can;t even see your feet when you are up to your knees! The water on this side of the island is not clear or clean. You feel debris under your feet as you walk into the water.

The drinks at this Sandals location are very watered down. On the second day, I had 3 daiquiris while at the pool bar and I didn't even get a slight buzz and I'm not a big drinker! The bartenders do a very quick and short pour when they make the drinks.

I truly feel sorry for anyone that has saved their hard earned money to go on a once in a lifetime vacation and ends up spending it at Sandals Halcyon Beach. If anything, please stay at either the Grand or La Toc. At least you will feel like you are at a resort and not a cheap motel. I am not discrediting St Lucia, which is a very beautiful country, by all means go visit, just don't stay at Halcyon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious accommodations. However, as hoteliers, we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

On a brighter note, we're glad that we were able to save your honeymoon at Sandals La Toc and offer an exceptional stay. We strive to provide the highest levels of service and accommodations at all of our resorts and I'm happy that we were able to accomplish that goal during your stay Sandals La Toc.

We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations next time.

Cassie C.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you are american, then this place will probably be perfect for you. If you are not, then I would say you might be just a little bit disappointed.
There is no doubt that the Sandals staff are remarkably well trained, cheerful and welcoming. The rooms are well appointed; there are many activities on offer to suit all tastes and the restaurants provide, for the most part, a reasonable choice of good food.
I did, however, find myself becoming increasingly exasperated at each meal time when guests were expected to wait in a queue at the restaurant entrance for a long time before being seated. Although there were tables prepared and available, we were always kept waiting - quite unnecessarily - until it was convenient for the staff to show us to our table. Whilst this may be acceptable restaurant practice in the USA, it is not so elsewhere.
Other disappointing impressions, which are recorded here for the benefit of Sandals senior management as much as for future travellers, include the concentration of effort given to american food, american-style language, american customs and the totally american culture - all this to the exclusion and chagrin of the rest of the world's tourist population. Slightly short-sighted for an international organisation, don't you think?
For the activities, my wife and I were compelled to sign so many Sandals responsibilty waiver forms that we lost count - examples being for diving, horse-riding, snorkelling, hiking, etc. Now I wonder which famously litigious culture was in mind when they created all this? In addition, walking around the holiday complex, what struck me was the unbelievable number of notices, boards, signs and orders by "the management" - everything from banning walking on the grass to mandatory dress codes for certain restaurants and even for the gymnasium. A compliance culture, perhaps? Now where does that come from? Certainly not St. Lucia. The promotion of this type of culture adversely affects the behaviour of the staff and ultimately the guests, many of whom find it unnecessary, disturbing and possibly arrogant.
We have had 3 Sandals holidays in the Caribbean, each one enjoyed for the undeniable quality that is the Sandals hallmark (acknowedged by the 4-star rating given above). However, unless they can ease back on their self-americanisation and become more cosmopolitan in their approach to tourism and the world's tourists, then they stand to lose so much.

Room Tip: If you go for the sea-view, check out the photographs on the web very carefully - to make sure that...
Newent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed at Halcyon Beach from 6th November for 10 days, absolutely wonderful!
Icing on the cake was the cake which we received on our anniversary, thanks to the staff!!!!!
The most relaxing holiday we have had, resort smaller than the other two on the island but easily the best. We became familiar with the staff and were always made to feel very welcome.
This again due to the small scale site. Highly recommend The Pier Restaurant and Mario's (Italian), Bayside for wonderful breakfast and a la carte. EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!!!
We do not normally visit twice but will certainly go back again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My Husband and I stayed at Sandals the week of November 18-25th,2012. This was our first visit to a Sandals Resort and we were not dissapointed one bit. We researched this resort on trip advisor and were a little skeptical about some of the negative reviews we read and we advise to disregard them, this resort is PERFECT! If you like a quiet resort this is the resort. We found the staff and entertainment crew amazing and very friendly. There are daily activities that they offer throughout the day that a very fun and allows you to meet new people while having fun. The staff never bother you and you rarley hear the entertainment crew come on a microphone to bother you while you are relaxing. They announce the game during that time and then you are left alone. We visited Sandals La Toc and in 2 hours of being there we had to leave because every 10 minutes someone was coming on the microphone to announce something. We enjoyed La Toc's beach but it is just way to big and nothing to special. We also visited the Grand which is beautiful seeing as it is the newest of all 3. We only went during 1 night to eat at the English Pub (which is a must if you love pub food). We found that we always wanted to go back to our resort which we called "home" for a week. The food at every restaraunt and Buffet was to die for. I am not a very big pork and sea food person and I that is all I ate and was full after every meal.
We did 2 excursions...The Sunset Cruise and Joe Knows. The Sunset Cruise was one of the most romantic experiences we had. It starts at 2pm and goes till7pm you start off by cruising on the west coast to the Piton mountains and snorkel for an hour in a beautiful coral reef. Once the sun starts setting you are on the boat cruising back and each couple is given a bottle of champange to share and you sit and watch the sun set with your loved one. Such a lovely evening.
Joe Knows is an amazing day trip as well, but a little rushed if you ask me. I would totally recommend it but would give you a little tip, once youve done your mud bath your on the go, then the waterfall for 5 mins and your on to your next stop. Its a very fun and amazing experience we just would have perfered it to be a little bit more relaxed and not just go,go,go.
We also did a romantic candle light dinner on the beach on our last night which was absolutley incredible and an amazing way to cap off our honeymoon, You do not leave starving for that meal. Our waitress Andrea was attentive and didn't bother us one bit while we ate.
The resort offeres you a free photoshoot where a photographer takes you around the resort and takes some amazing pictures that you can view and purchase. A little pricey but the pictures turn out beautiful.
As for the beach, which everyone complains about is really not that bad. A bit smaller than the other two but it is just as nice. A word of warning it is not a private beach, there are multiple people that come and bother you to buy things. Even if you are just walking by they whistle and ask you to come over even if its just to say hi. We didn`t enjoy that part at all but if you do buy something it sort of vetos you from everyone else. We suggest buy something from someone and anyone that comes up to you, you can say sorry I bough something already. But please do not let that deter you away from this resort because that is the only and minil problem we had with the resort.
Also be careful with swimming in the sea close to the sunset, there are jellyfish and they come close to the shore to cultivate, my husband did get stung. There is a warning sign that says be aware of jelly fish so it was our own neglagence swimming close to dusk.
There is a loud pool and a quiet pool both with swim up bars and we hung out a both everyday. During the morning we were by the loud pool for some pool volleyball and some music. After lunch we would go by the quiet pool which is just lovely. You can relax meet some amazing people and not have to hear Shaggy for the 5th time that day :) Also we strongly advise you eat at the beach bar, the chicken wings and hanburgers are delicious. We went there almost everyday they are that good.
Overall we had an amazing time and are planning on returning on our 5 year anniversary. xo

Room Tip: We stayed in 407 close to the beach and everything else. Beautiful room!
Stockton Heath, Warrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This holiday was a gift from my parents for my 21st birthday and it was fabulous!
Food was really nice, good variety, but if your looking for a la carte then you may not enjoy it as much as the choice for a la carte is limited (At Halcyon anyway). We did have problems with cold food on the first night, but you seem to find such things trivial in such a fantastic place. Staff are really friendly and attentive, the pools were lovely, the selection of drinks and cocktails were fantastic (not really a drinker but the non alcoholic cocktails were fab)
We did go on a few day trips to La grande one of the sister hotels, the food was fantastic at the Marina and we spent quite alot of time on the beach which was beautiful, their is abit more of a lively atmosphere compared to Halcyon BUT it was nice to go back to the Halcyons peaceful enviroment.
The bus service is a great idea and really regular. I only saw La Toc at night as we went for an Itailian there, food was fab and it also looked like a lovely resort.

There was one tiny thing that aggravated me and that was people trying to sell you things, not the hotel but people on the Halcyon beach, you don't usually mind it if it happens once or twice on holiday but there were round about 10 of them their all day and the main restaurant is right near the beach so you were continously being forced upon to buy things 15 times a day whenever you walked past!

Other then the beach sellers it was amazing, so peaceful and such a treat, would/will I go back? 100% I adored it!

Room Tip: I think our room may have been room number 613 which was near the tennis courts and we were quite cl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia? Share your experiences!