“Brilliant Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Jou Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Castries
Bel Jou Hotel
You added Bel Jou Hotel to your Saves list
PO Box 296 | La Pansee, Castries 89131, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Castries
Middlesex
“Brilliant Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had a wonderful 2 weeks at the Bel Jou. The view from our balcony was just stunning, We overlook the garden and we can see the lights of Castries twinkling at night. On a good day you can see Martinique too.

The rooms were large with 2 yes 2 king size beds. The air con was a godsend for a good nghts sleep as it was so hot. After a day out the room quickly cooled down to make everything much more comfortable. The housekeeping staff did a great job keeping everything spotless.

The food was excellent with plenty of choice that it would have been hard to be in a situation that there was nothing you liked. The vegetables were outstanding, so well cooked with just a hint of crunch. The first holiday we have come back from not craving some veg, The chef was just so funny especially when doing the cookery demonstations. However his comment about fat melting was not confirmed by my trousers at the end of the 2 weeks. All the restaurant staff were very helpful and always had a smile and a cheery greeting.

The Saga rep Henry can be likened to the Phantom of the Opera - he was everywhere keeping the guests happy and entertained. Even on his day off he was round and about the hotel still happy to help.

My first impression of the pool was that it was small. Having said that there were never more than 6 people in the pool at any one time and there were plenty of loungers and unbrellas and even more in the garden area. The only real disadvantage is that there is not really anywhere to walk as the roads are narrow there is no pavement.

This was our first Saga holiday and it will definitely not be our last.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
orkney, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

just returned from the Bel Jou. Had a great time. Accommodation spot on, staff incredibly helpful and friendly, excursions fun and interesting, fellow holidaymakers a fun crowd with one or two grumpy exceptions, food varied and very good standard. Gold star to Saga rep Henry who really made the holiday special. Even on his day off he was always around and helpful and hugely entertaining. What a professional! Manageress Camilla also very hands on and super efficient.
Only improvement I would suggest is opening up the cabana area for the evening entertainment. We had great fun dancing to various musical offerings every night but it was so hot undercover that its surprising one of us didn't succumb and keel over. Open air in this humidity would make more sense.
But overall a holiday I would recommend to anyone wanting fun in paradise.

Room Tip: Go for the main building
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We returned from the Bel Jou last Saturday, what a joy, what a country!! St. Lucia is Paradise and the Bel Jou helps you enjoy this Paradise. Everything was perfect as far as we were concerned. Lovely location, clean rooms, wonderful staff, great entertainment in the evenings and plenty to do during the day if that is what you want. Thanks in particular to Henry Phillips, the Saga rep. making sure that we all got what we wanted out of the holiday, whether it was playing croquet, or just chilling out by the pool!! We have been to this hotel before and we certainly hope to go again. Thank you to Camilla and all the staff.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Just returned form the Bel Jou and have to say how impressed I was. The Hotel Manager is a lady called Camilla who is fantastic, she is helpful and kind and runs the hotel fantastically. The staff are happy and helpful and nothing is too much trouble (always a sign of good management) The hotel is clean and well maintained. Food excellent. Pool area, smallish but always plenty of sun loungers, comfy ones too.
The gardens are beautiful and everywhere is spotlessly clean. My bathroom light stopped working and it was fixed within an hour of me reporting it., you can't ask for more than that. Will definitely be returning. There are nice touches such as umbrellas, binoculars and bug spray in your room, which is great. Well done to all at bel Jou.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Bathgate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Travelling with my daughter's husband on a weeks break in St. Lucia turned out to be the best , relaxing time for us both ( we're both carers with our wives being taken care of at home ) , yet still a joy for us as well. At the Bel Jou we were met by the General Manager , a lovely lady , Camilla , and Andy from SAGA ( easily the best Rep I've known ) . We were both assured that all would be done for us to have an enjoyable trip , but they were quite wrong ,simply because we had a truly wonderful time. All of the staff in the Hotel were quite young , the Waiters, the Bar staff, the security guards , and each and everyone of them were so polite and helpful and would "go the extra mile " to aid to our enjoyment , yet were never " in your face " at any time . The rooms were spotless, as was the whole Hotel , kept scrupulously clean by all. The meals were so well done and well balanced ,and if there was nothing on the menu that you liked , the Chef would prepare a meal for you and to your taste ( a first for me at least in any hotel ) such was the attention to detail . There were three people there at the same time who would complain about everything , but were constantly laughed at by all the others in the hotel , so much so that they themselves became th laughing stock of us all and a great source of comedy to us all . I actually thank them for the laughs !!!! To Camilla, Andy and all the Staff I thank them profoundly and profusely . Would I recommend this Hotel ?
A resounding YES . !!!
Would I return there . ?
In a flash !!!!
Go see , and enjoy , for yourselves .
We both loved our stay. !!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were lucky enough to spend an amazing two weeks in Bel Jou in October 2010 after the Islands of the Carribean tour with Saga.Yes it is at the top of a steep hill but you are made well aware of this in the brochure before booking. The courtesy bus is frequent and the trips to the beach are available throughout the day,The staff,without exception were amazing and reading the current feedback this still seems to be the case.We had torrential rain for several days so we had a brolly and walked the gardens or went to Rodney Bay,it didn't spoil our holiday just gave it another dimension...rain when it is 34 degrees is just an outside shower,enjoy it.We were lucky enough to explore the Grenadines which involved a 45 minute transfer on an 8 seater plane,crazy but an adventure we will never forget. Andy is an asset to the reputation and running of Bel Jou and part of an incredible team that make this a truly memorable destination.On that note I am so excited and fit to burst as we have booked for a return visit in March next year for a extra special celebration,I can hardly wait. So,if you get the chance to visit this amazing hotel with it's incredible and original team please don't hesitate,do it soon.

Room Tip: We had a garden room which was wonderful as I have mobility restrictions and the outlook was fabulou...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
gloucester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My first saga holiday and I am sure not my last I will go on my own or with my partner. The hotel was brilliant and even though going to close down for renovation still looked after us. The staff are obliging and work very hard, it is a shame that some people expect them to work like the British (fast and furious) and complained about the silliest things.
Highlight of the holiday has to be the carnival and thank you for organising this the staff excelled.
ANDY well as other postings he works so hard is very sacastic/funny but also very caring he was simply the best he made my holiday I have never met a rep like him and I am sure he will do well wherever he goes in the future.
My room had everything I needed except for those mossies.
I dont miss the tree frogs they went on all night long/then the birds started.
The cleaner did a good job.
Trips that were included and ones I bought were well worth doing.
Courtesy bus was well appreciated.
The people I met made my holiday the majority were lovely and I am sure I will keep in touch with them.
Gill

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bel Jou Hotel? Share your experiences!