“Breathtaking Above and Below Sea Level” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 162 things to do in St. Lucia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
More attraction details
Owner description: A spectacular landmark of St. Lucia visible for miles, Petit Piton and Gros Piton are twin volcanic spires majestically soaring out of the sea with waves crashing around their bases.
Chicago, IL
28 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking Above and Below Sea Level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Everything on the island revolves around the Pitons. As soon as you arrive at the airport you start seeing the Pitons on everything, their flag has the pitons and even the local beer is called Piton. I didn’t think they were that big of a deal until we went to see them. We booked a tour to go hiking to the top of the Pitons but due to heavy downpours our hike was cancelled. So instead we booked a diving trip to the base of the Pitons, you can also snorkel. Seeing the Pitons is breathtaking but diving at their base is even cooler. No matter which way you decide to see the Pitons its well worth the trip, and a must see in St. Lucia.

• Polish first
Calgary, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“Climb worth the effort.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've hiked all over the world including the Rockies and Himalayas and this is not a moderate hike. It is equivalent to 2 hours of stairs (rocks and roots) up and 2 hours back down but the breath taking view is definitely worth the effort.
You could see the entire island form the top of the Gros Piton.
Our Guide Trannie was excellent. He let us climb at our own pace. Trannie leads climbs on the weekends and plays 2 hours of soccer every day after climbing the piton.

Orlando, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Don't miss these in St. Lucia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Wow!! What a site---so many ways to see them--by boat or catamaran, or by tour bus. We went by bus.....which took us up close and personal. Some people try to climb them, but there are no excursions for that, that we were aware of---I think they used to have them, but because of accidents, discontinued them......they are more to look at and appreciate their beauty. They are on the way to the famous volcano that you drive thru. It was featured years ago on the tv show the bachelorette. This is a special volcano that you swim in and drive thru--there are only 2 in the world, and people travel from all over the world to get in them, believing they have special healing powers to cure EVERYTHING. I arrived with a rash on my leg, that I had been trying everything to cure it w/o going to the derm.....I was anxious to get in it---I did---very, very hot I might add.......unfortenetly, it did not heal my rash at all. I even bought lava soap in the downtown area and to no avail. upon returning home, went to the derm....and that did the trick.
You can see the pitons from pretty much anywhere on the island, as they are tall. The excursion we went on took about 3/4 hours to get to them, as they are nestled in a small community....the drive there, was absolutely fascinating!! The history of St. Lucia and the locals and the stories from the locals are interesting, if you get a chance to hangout in the downtown area---do so!!! It was like stepping back in time......our guide told us, she lives on 100.00 a month. They don't have air-conditioning or washing machines or dryers, so on your trip to the pitons, pay attention to the rivers--where you will see many people "washing their clothes". Everyone has a cell phone over there, but they only pay 10.00 a month--out of their 100.00. No one owns cars, and they use eastern carribean currency--but translated-a gallon of gas was 16.50 in us dollars......thats why excursions are the way to go. We liked our guide so much, we hired her and her driver to take us in to the downtown the next day..........a very humbling country. You will go home with a whole new appreciation for what you have and how modernized "home" is. There is NO FAST FOOD restraunts over there----used to be a kfc (kentucky fried chix) but it couldn't make it as money is limited. If you need a hospital----it is very small, and no airconditioning. I was told, it only cost 60.00 a day --us dollars----for hospital care, sooooo different from where I live in the US.......here it is about 10,000. a day.....us dollars

schools are very important to the locals, but pay attention as you are driving by---there are no windows, wall or doors in the schools----just 4 concrete pillars and a roof--yet they all wear uniforms.....and the locals will do anything to pay for the books and uniforms for their kids---while on way to pitons, a local had a photo op with a phython snake--see pics--funny! 5.00 us dollars for photo op--my hubby talked me into it--saying I HAD TO HELP SUPPORT HIS KIDS SCHOOLING.
keep in mind---rough roads-not alot of bathrooms-alot of time on the road to get there, mostly in open air vehicles..and very tight rocky-dirt roads.
P.s. Don't expect your cell phone to work over there, we had att and sprint--verified before we went they would work, but upon arrival---neither of us had any service.

If you found this article helpful, pls click on the "helpful" button at the end, I appreciate that.

Visited May 2013
marlton, nj
8 attraction reviews
“Simply Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Pitons are just an amazing sight to see. They are so beautiful and to hear the locals stories about the Pitons are great. I know you can hike them, but I did not have the courage to try this but have been told the views from atop are breathtaking and can only imagine. If you go to St. Lucia these are a must see.

Pensacola Beach, Florida
“Strenuous but amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

If you are in St. Lucia hiking the Gros Piton is a must! It is a very rocky hike with breath taking views. You will have a guide with you who can take 4-6 people at a time. Going up was hard but the women found coming down to be even more difficult. Most people doing the hike that we saw were fairly fit. We went up in about 1.5 hours and came down in about 1. There are breaks along the way, though no bathrooms. Take water and a camera. Use hiking shoes if you have them. We wore sneakers and were ok but feet were definitely sore.