“Not for the faint of heart but worthwhile!” 5 of 5 stars

Visit Pitons like an insider
Special Offer
$73*
and up
Soufriere Island Delight Half-Day Trip From St...
Ranked #5 of 161 things to do in St. Lucia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
More attraction details
Owner description: A spectacular landmark of St. Lucia visible for miles, Petit Piton and Gros Piton are twin volcanic spires majestically soaring out of the sea with waves crashing around their bases.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not for the faint of heart but worthwhile!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hike is not for the faint of heart and requires some basic fitness to make it to the top. If you can't walk up dozens of flights of stairs comfortably, this hike may not be for you. The terrain is steep but the views at the top are fantastic. The ascent and descent are both tiring and plenty of water is needed.

There are viewpoints facing both South and North. The North facing vantage point is of the Petit piton and is the better of the two views. The South vantage point looks down the coast and over the local village.

The guides that you meet at the interpretative center are extremely friendly and knowledgeable. My wife wasn't able to complete the hike but spent the afternoon with a guide named Virginia. I believe Virginia told her more about the island than she learned the rest of the trip. She really enjoy her time with the guide.

• Polish first
Ohio
6 attraction reviews
“Love the Pee-tones!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Most St. Lucians speak French creole, and some pronounce the pitons as pee-tones. I loved hearing them say that! The pitons are a beautiful sight to behold. They do seem to rise out of the Caribbean. Unfortunately, I was unable to climb them because I had just finished chemo when I went there. But, I got some amazing photos from the Beacon restaurant in Souffriere. There are other restaurants in Souffriere that also have great views, for those who do not want to climb. I cannot honestly say that the pitons are a "must." For me, Machu Picchu was a "must." And the Egyptian ruins are a "must." Nonetheless, I believe the pitons are spectacular to behold, and no trip to St. Lucia is complete without seeing them.

Naples, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“A MUST for any outdoor lovers!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

This was such an amazing experience. A few things to be noted, go EARLY as possible, we got there at 7:45 to start our hike at 8. Perfect timing!! Go any later and the way up will be a hell of a hot even though the whole trail is under cover, and the enjoyment factor will rapidly decrease. We definitely lucked out on guides, Shayne, was the business, very friendly and informative while making the the climb look effortless. The view from the top is totally worth it... BUT there are two viewing points. The second view point is of the North side if the island and the petit Pitton, but it is another 10 min walk at the top.... BUT it IS totally worth it.... So don't get lazy now!!
Also the whole hike p we had this absolutely adorable pavement special called Browny climbing with us, such a little treat, hey plays fetch with you rocks with you and always runs up and down to make sure the whole family keeping up!! Too adorable. Our hike took 3 hours in total(up and down). Definitely heed their advice on water requirements, because you sweat like its going out of business.
A side note, you can rent hiking bags for $5, and would maybe be a good idea to bring a small towel if you would like the luxury of not being dripping.

Tobago
5 attraction reviews
“Great Spectacle”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had not known about the Pitons before going to St. Lucia. Our tour guide Pius ensured that we had the Best views of this magnificent land mark. Thig is they appera to be a stone's throw away from each other, but as you get closer you realize that they are far from each other and located in diffetent villages. Great for photo background. Amazing story of how they came to be was given by another tour guide at the drive in Soufriere volcano. Spectacular!

Edmonton, Canada
31 attraction reviews
“Have never sweat so much in my life!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I decided we were going to climb Gros Piton on our honeymoon to St Lucia. You have to pay $30US each for a guide who takes you to the top. They won't let you up unless you have 1.5 L of water each. There are places to buy water and washrooms at the bottom. It was so exhausting! We are both in our early 20's and we are pretty physically fit and exercise most days out of the week. This was not easy! Going up, I lost my breath many, many times and had to stop for a rest. The last 1/4 to the top is like climbing a thousand stairs that are all uneven, and my legs were burning! Once at the top, I was so proud that we actually did it. But the views weren't as amazing as I was expecting. I'm glad we did it, but I would not do it again.

Visited December 2012