“Forget the chairs; go for the beach” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 109 attractions in St. Lucia
Type: Beaches
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This white-sanded beach sits right at the foot of the majestic Pitons.
Seattle
6 attraction reviews
“Forget the chairs; go for the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

I don't know about the chairs, the hotel, the prices, or the service, but this beach is not to be missed. Bring a towel, a lunch, some sunscreen, and your snorkeling gear and prepare to be awed by the majesty of this setting. It is without a doubt the most picturesque beach I've ever visited. To really do it right, don't drive. Take the water taxi from Soufriere, which circles around Petit Piton and presents magnificent views of both pitons and the beach itself.

Hershey, PA
“Is the View Worth $40 Just to Sit Down?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

We decided to enjoy a little sun, sand , and sea at Jalousie Beach as the final stop on an all-day land tour of St Lucia. No sooner had my significant other and I spread our towels on 2 chaise chairs than we were approached by a member of the staff who asked us if we wanted anything from the bar. We ordered drinks and asked for menus so we could have a late lunch.

He returned with the drinks, menus, and the unbelievable news that we would be charged $20 per chair since we weren't staying at Jalousie. I couldn't believe it. $40 to sit on beach chairs when we were purchasing food & beverages from the hotel!! Most of the Caribbean tourist industry has been suffering from the economic woes in the rest of the world, so their huge beach was sparsely populated. What a marketing blunder!!

I'd never think of returning to Jalousie for any reason. Within this same week, we had enjoyed wonderful snorkeling at Anse Chastanet, drinks at Ladera, and beach time and dinner at Discovery. Nowhere else were we charged for our seats. It's beyond my comprehension that any resort, particularly during an economic slump, would charge paying customers to sit on their outdoor furniture.

Philadelphia, PA
“Prepare to get gouged and don't use your credit card here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

A nice beach but nothing to justify the prices - cabanas (US$20/person) and sunscreen (US$25).

BTW, I noticed some suspicious activity on our credit card statement the day after we used this card to pay for some drinks. The waiter walked the card back to the restaurant so our eyes were off of it for some time. Granted, the charges were on US websites and none of them were accepted (they probably couldn't guess our billing address or something). Just pay in cash.

Ashland, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

Jalousie Beach is one of the most picturesque areas I have ever been to. We visited on a slightly overcast, rainy day (as a part of a fantastic Cosol tour) and I was still in love!

The chairs/umbrellas are not worth the rent if you're visiting from outside the resort, but drop your towel and do some swimming/snorkelling (I was told it was among our Caribbean cruise's best)!

Attached are some of my favorite beach pics.

Toronto, Canada
18 attraction reviews
“Beautiful beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

A beautiful beach and a great snorkel snuggled in between the two Pitons.

Take your own snacks unless you're willing to pay US$15 for a burger at the Hilton beachside restaurant.