“An Idyllic Retreat..” 5 of 5 stars

Laborie | Laborie Bay, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #44 of 58 hotels in St. Lucia
“An Idyllic Retreat..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is truly a gem which is off the main tourist track, with its patio opening onto the beach with its stunning views. The beach is quiet, with just a few locals and occasional horses being exercised.
The rooms have a very ethnic feel to them and I loved the fact it was furnished with natural materials, with no plastic in sight.
It was a short walk into town where there were restaurants and bars, although Laborie is largely undiscovered as far as tourism goes, and these were mainly populated by locals.
During our stay we unfortunately had a grumpy neighbour who complained about everything.
It is true there was a slight problem with the solar panels during our stay which meant the hot water was out of action for a short while.
This was quickly taken care of and didn't really cause a problem.
I would wholeheartedly recommend this place and hope to return there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The place looks great online, however they have mixed up the photos of the rooms so you don't get the one you really wanted. The patio area feels like a prison with large bars and barbed wire.

We were scammed by one of the ladies that works there. We had arranged a ride however she told us that the taxi called and wanted to confirm, however this was a local guy (not sure of her relationship to him) instead of our driver.

The bugs are terrible at this location, the apartment is over priced. Our first night there were gunshots just behind the building.

• Stayed April 2013
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

As previous reviewers have noted, this hotel is for those who want a quiet vacation. It is not for those who seek to party. Nor is it for those who need a lot of people around. I chose this hotel because I wanted to visit Laborie, a quiet fishing village that is not yet substantially impacted by tourism. I arrived on a Monday evening and was initially afraid because there was no one else in the hotel. (In fact, the local woman who manages it was not quite prepared for my arrival. Luckily, the neighbor had her cell phone number; so, it worked out.) I quickly realized, however, that I was not alone because locals are extremely friendly, and there is a nice British family living next door. I loved the beach. I visited five beaches in St. Lucia (the others were Choc, Pigeon Island, Souffriere, and Reduit), and Laborie was the most picturesque to me. It also has waters that are calm enough for wading in. I loved walking through town and having spontaneous conversations with locals (after I let my guard down). I had a memorable conversation with an old woman living in a literal shack right on the sea. In fact, in Laborie, there are many shacks sitting right on the sea. That surprised me, and I could not help but wonder whether any of those shacks will still be there in ten years. Development is slow in Laborie, but the secret is bound to get out. I also loved discovering cheap local places to eat, like the roti shop near the church. (I can't remember the name of the roti shop, but it's in the booklet in the hotel room.)

I do have a few words of caution about this hotel. First, the hotel has three apartments. However, only two of the apartments are advertised on the website. I had the master bedroom apartment, which is rustic like the others. The master bedroom apartment gets very hot between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m., even with fans running. So, it is a good idea to plan on being outside during those hours. Next, although there are mosquito nets over the beds, those pesky critters sometimes get through. I purchased some room spray in the Laborie "supermarket," but it did not seem to work. None of the stores in Laborie had any mosquito repellent that you can apply to your body. Thus, I would advise anyone visiting the island to take their own. Sometimes the water pressure at the hotel is very low. I was without water for bathing and flushing for about twelve hours (and I had just come from the sea). That could be a deal-breaker for some. Finally, I noticed on the day of check-out that the other two apartments are more spacious. Also, the largest, which is the sea view apartment, gets better breezes and has a very nice patio. I had to wait for my taxi on that patio, and it is far superior to the patio attached to the master bedroom apartment because it is higher and breezes seem to pull through much better. Finally, Laborie is very quiet at night. If going there, it's best to have a plan for your evenings. For groups, that is not a problem. For singles, however, it can be. I was grateful for Netflix.

Despite my words of caution, I would stay there again because I loved the beach and the people. I would be more prepared, however. The hotel is charming in spite of its faults, and I feel that I had a unique experience.

I would offer two other words of advice for those planning to visit Laborie: First, be sure to have plenty of cash (Eastern Caribbean) when you get there. I was told there is an ATM in Laborie, but I never saw it. There are no ATMs inside the stores in Laborie. And one of the women who work at the hotel, Maurella, advised that the bank in Laborie does not give a good exchange rate. Nor do the stores take American (or European) dollars. When I was in Laborie, I had to use the bank and ATM at Vieux Fort. Second, keep your guard down, instead of up. I traveled as a solo female and initially did not want anyone to know where I was staying -- for obvious reasons. But, because of the paucity of lodging options in Laborie, locals correctly assumed that I was staying at the Mirage. I was nervous about that for a couple of days, but then I realized that no one had any intent to harm me. Some local men were flirty, but they took hints very well and did not impose. Thus, while one should always use common sense when traveling abroad, I would advise being as unguarded as possible in order to experience local people. They are truly a gem!

Room Tip: Choose the sea view apartment if you can. Also, inquire about the room on the bottom floor, which i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Lets be clear, this is where you stay when you dont want to follow the crowd, when you are happy to go right as the fashion monkeys turn left for the crazy, lazy, dirty north of the island, for those of us who are happy to laze away sunny days listening to the deafening sounds of the waves. Florence the owner is delightful, a true charm. Sue the manager is a diamond.
I visited st lucia 6 times last year to get my fix and this little secret is the place to be.

Little tip.......only rent with hertz and book online it will save you a lot of aggrevation not to mention money....tell them andrew sent you and enjoy some yummy service when you get there

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Walton on Thames
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Beautiful, empty, gently shelving,palm fringed beach just a few steps from the door. Accomodation is clean & decor wonderfully rustic, fully equipped kitchen and comfortable beds with nets. Private veranda overlooking beach with sun loungers. Laborie is a small fishing village and we were the only tourists there. Everyone here is so friendly & it was fun to sample local food and drink in the same bars which locals use. This is not a touristy place - we never even saw a postcard for sale - but if you want a get away from it all holiday in a lovely location, this would be hard to beat. We returned home feeling so relaxed, just wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Arnside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

This was our 4th visit to St Lucia and our second visit to the Mirage Beach Hotel. Laborie is not a typical St Lucian tourist resort and certainly not like the up market tourist complexes. However it has its own quiet charm and the very friendly locals remembered us from last year. The setting for our apartment was simply breathtaking - to walk out of the gate straight onto the palm fringed beach and swim in the sea is something unique, The beach is exceptionally quiet and we saw only a handful of other tourists in the 3 weeks we were there.

The apartment is large and sleeps up to four and the decor has a charming, eclectic feel about it. We had a large private patio located above the beach, ideal for sunbathing during the day and for having a quiet drink in the evening whilst we watched the sunset. From here we could watch the local boys play cricket on the beach, watch the sea moss farmer row out to tend his crop and horses being washed in the sea.

Flo, the French owner of the apartment, could not be more obliging and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble for her. We feel fortunate to have found our own little piece of paradise, a true hidden gem, will definitely return next year.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

Flights out of Gatwick were with Virgin and (as usual) were trouble free and excellent.

This wonderful place is a wooden built 2 bed-apartment right on the beach. There are two accomodations both owned and managed by Florence, a French lady who lives in an attached property. The place has a dining area, kitchen and lounge along with a large bathroom and two bedrooms (one with a double and one with two singles).

The village is "local" and not at all touristy which is fantastic if you want to get to know St Lucia life. We were probably the only tourists in the area and on the beach on most days.

Spend the evening watching village cricket on the green under the shade of a palm tree on the beachwhile the Caribbean surf crashes behind you. Then go to one of the village restaurants "Le Clou" - look for the blue roof on the other side of the cricket green - for some real home-cooked local food.

Just 20 minutes from the airport, and 5 from the nearest shops (great if you want to self cater some of the time). This is a real gem.

We did day trips to Soufriere to see the volcano and sulphur springs and had some great days out at some of the fantastic beaches nearby. All beaches in St Lucia are publically owned so we went to Jalousie, Ladera & Anse Chastenet resorts for lunch and snorkeling. Getting to the famous Pitons was also easy (35 minutes).

Locally recommended restaurant "Debbies" is just wonderful.

Florence will arrange car hire if you need it and is available for all sorts of queries if you need anything.

Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Liked — It felt like a home.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mirage Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!