“Perfect Getaway Week-end” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tom Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tom Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Tom Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Baie de St Jean | BP 1058, St. Jean 97133, St Barthelemy   |
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in St. Jean
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect Getaway Week-end”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

Hotel Tom Beach was the perfect spot for a week-end getaway from the bright lights of St. Martin. The hotel was just five minutes from the St. Barts airport, w/taxi provided by the hotel. Our room (#9) was beachfront, w/ a large oceanfront deck and bar which doubled the living space of our room. The room itself was large, very nicely appointed, with a modern bathroom, canopied king-size bed and a sliding glass wall onto the deck. I especially enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the beach-front restaurant and beach bar, which had good service and great food. The Eden Roc Hotel is at the other end of the beach, providing another wonderful restaurant just a short walk away. I definitely plan to stay here for all return trips to chic St. Barts!

• Liked — Location, Location, Location!
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

While I expected lovely, I was still pleasantly surprised when I arrived at Tom Beach Hotel. The plush gardens are spectacular. The rooms are elegantly adorned, making you truly feel at home with the ultra large beds and the outdoor area. The bathrooms are small, but accommodating and recently updated. In my room and I think all rooms…there is a private patio with fridge, minibar and sink. It is ideal for a romantic vacation, although I was alone. I love the small pool at the hotel which is incased by the gardens. Feel free to swim anytime anyway you choose. The staff understands discreet service.

The quaint rooms, restaurant and service are precisely what equate the true meaning of vacation. This is a place to unplug, which is hard to do in general (for me).

There is a restaurant outside which is located right on the ocean…so close the water it could touch your toes (not really, but close). The restaurant is called, La Plage. The food is exquisite and the staff is incredibly attentive. While the Caribbean overall is much more laid back than NY, which sometimes means bad service…there seems to be a different take with this wait staff. They were excellent.

This is truly a find. It depends on how you travel, but for me I travel for business a ton and stay in many 4 start hotels e.g.; Four Seasons, Ritz etc. While I love having multiple servers for a special client dinner, it’s so nice to embrace simple life with a serving of ultra chic. The servers are dressed rather casual with a certain je nais se quoi the French have in terms of fashion sense.

Oh and they serve a perfect breakfast each morning. They brought me croissants each morning, both plain and with chocolate (YUM) and they included various jellies. During my breakfast each morning I had humming birds (or something of the like) come to my room and sit on my patio. They love jelly, which I let out for them each day and took a ton of pictures.

I did not want to leave, but I had plans to check out Anguilla, which is also very lovely.

To note, you will need a car to get around the island as the roads are very tight and people drive pretty crazy…kind of like a bunch of NY cabbies were dropped of on this little island. Walking the whole island is not a good idea – although I tried.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I am going back in February and this time planning the whole trip at Tom Beach. I did check out close by hotels and dined – awesome. But for my stay, I choose this quaint hotel.

Stayed September 2008
West Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

Stayed here last year for October half-term and again this year. The de-luxe rooms are outstanding. Fantastic balcony with views over the Bay (when you're standing) otherwise the beach punters get to look at the soles of your feet while you knock back another G+T.

What's not to like? The iPod docking station sounds like it took a direct hit from a bolt of lightning from Hurricane Omar which breezed by the previous week but apart from that all was cool and heavenly.

The beach continues to be outstanding and there appeared to be about 15 yards more sand to it this year so we were able to walk down the beach and snorkel/dine at the Eden Rock instead of staggering along the road in the dark outside a couple of bottles of wine.

But the truly outstanding part is the location. I continually miss the 'No Fat Chicks' sign at the airport but there is surely some triage in operation because the beach is constantly populated by the most perfectly proportioned 20-something babes on the planet. Topless. It just makes my heart soar. Sometimes you just want to punch the air and shout 'Yes!!!' although I think my wife would probably get annoyed if I did that.

Top hotel. Good breakfast. Attentive staff. Oddly deserted reception area though.

Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

We stayed at Tom Beach for 7 nights the first week of March. Nice beach, fun restaurant. This was our second stay...and I doubt we will go back. St. Barts is a wonderful island with a lot going for it. But there are plenty of places to stay will great customer service. Our room was very basic. The fuses kept blowing on a daily and nightly basis from the first day of our stay. They just kept giving us new fuses to put in instead of getting the problem solved. Kind of difficult to find the fuse box at 2:00 AM in total darkness when the air conditioner and ceiling fan would go out. We also had weather related travel problems getting to St. Barts from California. We called the day prior and explained the situation. They said no problem, but then charged us the 500 Euros anyway for the night we did not use. We had to leave on the first flight out of St. Barts which was 7:30 AM. Since their front desk does not open until 9:00, we checked out the night before and returned our rental car. They set a wake up call and arranged a taxi to pick us up at 6:45 AM. There was NO wake-up call and NO taxi ever showed up. Thankfully, the Tom Beach is a long walk from the airport...so we walked with all of our luggage at 7:15 and barely made our flight. Thank you very much, Tom Beach. We really appreciate the customer service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor customer service.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2006

My Wife and I staid at The tom Beach Hotel for 7 nights at the end of this February. We will definately return. I could rave about the great food in their restaurant, how wonderful our room was ,and how great the location right on the beach was; but it was the staff that made this such a great week for us . From the bartenders to the wait staff at all the meals, allof them were very friendlyand treated us like friends. But what really made tom beach so special the 3 young women who work at the front desk , Auriall, Emmanuel, And Marie. Besides being extremely efficient at the tasks of check in and checkout ; they were more than just helpfull with any questions , requests and reservations we had. They also made us feal especially welcome during a special party for the guests one evening. and at all of the special lunches and partys that the tom beach puts on . We miss the beaches ; we miss the the warm water ; and we miss the people who made this such a special week for us

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2006

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 7 day holiday at Tom Beach Hotel, and we are still floating high up: we had the best time ever!
Our room was cosy, colorful and airconditionned with a private flourished terrace; a confortable queen size four-poster bed, a tv and dvd (which we never had to turn on) and a cute bathroom.
The front desk girls were perfect, devoted, pleasant and fun.
The hotel restaurant, directly on the water, is definitely the place to be for lunch and dinner:
excellent food, fashion shows, great dj's or live music, so sexy, so fun!
The restaurant staff is nice and welcoming, and the barman makes the best pina colada ever!
I definitely recommand this hotel to anyone visiting St Barths.

I am planning my next trip there for New Years 2007!

• Stayed March 2006
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

We have just returned from our honeymoon where we spent 5 days in St Barts staying at the Tom Beach hotel. Having read some good reviews on trip advisor this seemed to suit our requirements. We did not want a very large formal hotel but one which was small, with proximity to St Jean and a hotel which had nice rooms with private terraces so we could relax as well as explore. The hotel broadly speaking met these requirements but it is a little tried and the service is not great.

The hotel reception is inviting and very attractive as indicated on their website. The girl who checked us in however gave the impression she would rather have been doing something else and did not make us feel very welcome. The room was average, with some furniture and curtains looking like they came from a travel lodge and cracked tiles on the floor and chipped woodwork. The terrace faced a fence and the wetbar outside had peeling paint, a rusty fridge and a rather elderly looking cactus? The shower leaked so badly onto the floor that it resulted in an inch deep of water everytime it was used! The room however did have a lovely four poster bed, air conditioning and was cleaned every day.

The restaurant and bar where we had one meal and breakfast each day is directly on the beach and is very nicely decorated. The breakfast is a good french style breakfast with freshly made crossiants etc. and the waitresses were very friendly. However the barstaff were some of the most unfriendly I have very come across, I asked one evening for a match or lighter to light the candle in our room and was just told 'no'.

The girl on reception in the evenings however was really helpful, getting us an iron and making a supreme effort to get us a table at Ti St Barts. !

Overall the hotel is average, it needs refurbishing and some aspects of the service improving then it would be really lovely!

Been to Tom Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!