“Sexy boutique hotel on St Jean beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tom Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tom Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Tom Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Baie de St Jean | BP 1058, St. Jean 97133, St Barthelemy   |
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in St. Jean
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Sexy boutique hotel on St Jean beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed as a couple with an 18 month old infant for 6 nights at Tom Beach. At first I wasn't happy with the room they allocated to us, since I was expecting an enclosed garden patio where our son could play. This was one of the main selling points for me for choosing this hotel. So please note that not all rooms have this. Our patio was at the front where you enter the room and close to the pool, so we couldn't let our son play outside without having to watch him all the time. This room (Room # 1) was also outdated, and the bathroom needs a make-over (this bathroom does not appear as shown on their photos). They did offer to upgrade us to one of the deluxe sea view rooms after 3 nights when it became available, at no extra charge. The deluxe room was fabulous, with a nice terrace where our son could play. The only annoying thing was the motion censored activation of the bathroom light, since the light goes on even when you walk by the bathroom. The toiletries provided by the hotel (by Ligne, which you can purchase in St Barth) are amazing.

The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. They organized our car rental and provided a lot of useful information; and they all spoke English very well.

The location is perfect with grocery stores, pharmacies and clothing stores within walking distance. Tom Beach has a beautiful art gallery in the reception area, and their restaurant is on the beach. Every morning we had a very nice breakfast with our feet in the sand. The breakfast is European, which we prefer, and not American, but they do bake eggs on request. We loved the coconut jam. They have beautiful girls modeling 'Free in St Barth' (their on-site store) clothes during lunch time. Locals definitely like to hang out at Tom Beach during the day, so it's the perfect place for people watching or meeting new friends are their beach bar. Sexy St Jean beach was by far our favorite beach to hang out. If you are offended by topless woman tanning on their beach chairs, then best to avoid St Jean beach. Our son also enjoyed watching the planes land at the nearby airport as they flew overhead.

The dinner menu at La Plage was limited. We found that Eden Rock provided a better dinner selection, which is only a short stroll along the beach away.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to St Barth. I do however think it is more suites for couples wanting to spend a romantic holiday then for families with infants.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I are planning a trip with friends for a wedding at the end of October 2013. We have been very pleased and impressed with the wonderful service and assistance with booking our accommodation. We are looking forward to sharing our first visit to St. Barths with friends at Le Tom Beach!

White Plains, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I came to St. Barts for a single night stay during my island vacation. Tom Beach was a great choice for my short excursion to St. Barts. Great location - only 5 minutes from the airport and within walking distance of other restaurants/hotels and shops.

The beach was spectacular - clear water and picturesque views. It was very windy during my stay, which I understand to be unusual for this time of year. As a result, the staff was unable to put up beach umbrellas, which meant no shelter from the sun unless you laid by the pool. I can't fault the hotel for the weather though!

Everything that we ordered from the on-site restaurant, La Plage, was absolutely delicious.

Staff was super friendly and helpful. (And beautiful, too, as others have commented). They let use a spare room to shower after our second beach day, since we had already checked out of our own room earlier. That was above and beyond service!

This is a great hotel if you're looking for a modern, laid-back, and slightly social setting.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

First off let me say, for the past 6 months I read every review posted on this hotel. If you are reading this then you know the cost to visit this island so the last thing you want to do is make a poor hotel choice... This hotel is amazing, with only 12 rooms you feel like you are in your own paradise. First things first!

Staff: Wonderful! Now let me tell you I think my husband thought he died and went to French heaven. 90 percent of the staff were GORGEOUS French woman who were all so lovely to us. A special thanks to Sabrina at the front desk for being so attentive to us and also Jeremy, the bartender who we talked to nightly about the culture! Lastly Rob who played live music a few nights a week. We absolutely loved his music and spent many nights following him around the island to other hotels to hear him play.

Beach: I cannot express in words how AHHHHmazing this beach was. 75 degrees, little waves, pure white sand. It was heavenly. I loved watching the planes take off each day as the landing strip was right next to the hotel. Everyone might ask if it was loud but they were such small planes that is was fine and so exhilarating to watch!

Rooms: If you stay here you MUST get the ocean front room, its worth the price. You literally open your curtains to the beach. The rooms are simple but honestly you spend ZERO time in them so they don't need to be much. The balcony was my favorite part.

Food: The food was to die for, I loved it all!!! The only thing I wouldn't do each stay next time is the breakfast, eggs everyday, not much selection but the lunch and dinner they had to offer were outstanding!! I absolutely loved my lobster, shrimp salads and did I mention the Panini's- try the Panini's yum yum !

Drinks: Also another great aspect of the hotel... The creative fresh drinks were outstanding and I found to be a little less than the other larger resorts which was nice. I think I tried every drink on the menu and loved them all. Im a huge wine drinker and enjoyed the 7 euro Bordeaux , at home, I would have paid $20 for that glass of wine, that's how good it was! That was the biggest and probably only bargain of the trip :)

Free St. Barth's Store: They had a lovely small boutique at the hotel. My husband and I ended up buying t-shirts, hoodies and shorts, we loved their items... All neon, bright and great quality. I wore mine home on the plane and everyone commented on it and of course St. Barth.

Pole Dancing: Your probably wondering what type of place this is... As so was I when I was the pole dancing but Christina, the dancer is so beautiful and graceful and truly makes her career a beautiful art. She performed over dinner one night along with a fire show and it was simply stunning. This was a great attribute to the hotel that no one else has. Not only was it tactful (she is clothed :)) but is was so intriguing to watch. Its a must see on the island!

I don't think I have ever visited a better beach in my life... A hotel is a hotel but the staff truly made our stay wonderful and made the last 10 days the best of our entire lives this far. We will definitely be back again next year.

Thank you TOM Beach Hotel for making our vacation an unforgettable one !!!!!!!

Room Tip: ocean front
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Wonderful place to stay - perfect location on the beach / you can walk almost everywhere in St Jean - quaint pool perfect for a quick dip / even had water bicycles - genuinely friendly staff / helpful and pleasant - great restaurant with fresh delicious options / juice bar is fantastic - chic events at night - we will be back! Thank you!

Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have been going to St Barths for 25 years and have stayed all over the island in hotels and mostly villas. This trip was for our 25th wedding anniversary. Always wanted to stay on St Jean Beach. The location of this hotel is the only positive thing I can speak of. The room was spacious but we had an issue with bugs. The bathroom light is on a sensor, so at night any movement would turn it on. Needless to say that's when the bugs went running. I was afraid to go into the bathroom at night. Also they gathered in closet where our cloths were keep. The staff just gave us more bug spray. I also found the staff to not be friendly at all. It was as if they were doing us a big favor by allowing us to stay at their property. Out of the entire staff we came in contact with there was one girl at the reception area and one bar tender that did make our stay enjoyable. Forget about the rest. Breakfast was fine and the waitress was nice but not attentive. Never did the manager ask how we were doing or even speak to us for that matter. Considering how many english speaking people come to St Barths and contribute to their economy, Tom Beach Hotel did not have one english speaking TV channel. Not that I go on vacation to watch TV, but it would have been nice have been able to at least check the news. I was told that if anything in the world happened they'd be sure to let me know and that most people used their Ipad, I found this to be insulting. I started to think maybe it was because I was an American but quickly learned of other guests who were very unhappy as well. A man from France approached my husband and I and asked how we felt about the service. Needless to say he too felt very uncomfortable as to how he was treated by the staff.

I will continue to go to St Barths yearly but will not stay at this hotel again and will not recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
tombeachhotel, General Manager at Tom Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

We took good note of your comment and we are deeply sorry that your feeling about your stay at Tom Beach Hotel was so uncomfortable.

We are already working on TV offer since few weeks to upgrade our offer to 50 new US channels. It should be ready for the next winter season. We recently put new flat TV screen as you know.

Regarding bugs, we totally understand you. These animals carry very bad image. Our Hotel is situated in a tropical garden, in the nature. We use professional treatment twice a week to avoid insects into our rooms. Further to your experience, we will find a better way to make sure this will not happen again.

We apology for the inconvenience you met during your stay. Also, we thank you for your feedback which we take to improve our quality of service.

We hope to receive you again and bring you a new idea with a full satisfaction that you could have too.

Kind regards,

Aymeric BOURDIN
Assistant General Manager
management@tombeach.com
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Our experience at the Tom Beach was awesome! Hotel was modern, updated, super clean and very chic! The room was spacious and the beach was just steps from our front door. The hotel staff was awesome and the restaurant was in the perfect location with great service. Overall a 10 out of 10! Would go back in a heartbeat and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a high end hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tom Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!