“Serene” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Emeraude Plage

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. Jean
Hotel Emeraude Plage
Baie de Saint-Jean, St. Jean 97133, St. Barthelemy   |
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in St. Jean
Bern
“Serene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

My partner and I stayed in this hotel in July 2009 for our honeymoon - I actually feel a bit guilty not to have written a review on this - for us - perfect experience for such a long time, but we do not want too many people to come...
We had an Ocean View Cottage (D 16 I think) with direct access to the beach. We would very much recommend this as the beach is just so exceptional (see below); to stay in a garden villa would in our view take away much of the charm. To be honest, we could only afford this since the resort was quite deserted in summer and we got a special deal by phoning them (try it). It was still expensive, but come on - this is St. Barthélemy.
As there were so few people, we had no problems with privacy whatsoever, and no other guests passed next to our door (as some other visitors have complained here). The only disadvantage of being "on our own" was the fact that the beach "bar" which looked nice was closed during our stay. We very much liked the understated elegance of our room, all in white, very clean and with nice details. Perhaps it might be a bit too simple for those guests more used to "high-tech" facilities (as far as I can recall, there were e.g. no CD or DVD-players in the rooms etc.); in general I would assume that the hotel tends to suit "European" tastes better than "American".
We found the service polite and very professional, i.e. not too visible in order not to intrude but always there when we needed them. On the other hand, if you highly appreciate when the staff calls you by your first name on your first evening etc., this might not be what you are looking for.
During our stay, there was no possiblity to dine or have lunch at the hotel - perhaps it is possible to some extent in high season. The kitchen - perhaps the only negative point - was not very sophisticated. However, there are some good restaurants not too far away, and a wonderful little shop serving truly delicious, home-made patés, cakes etc. just down the road (but with Parisian prices, yep).
Of course, the spectacular thing about this place, as mentioned above, is the incredible - and I mean incredible - beach. My boyfriend has this knack for "turquoise" water, and even he had not seen anything similar, apart from the Maledives. The great merit of this hotel is that its refined simplicity refrains from all unncessessary elements - like a pool - that could distract your attention from the magnificent setting. I hardly ever felt so little urge to do anything at all. However, every morning we got up around 6 o'clock (jet lag was helping), just to see the sun rise over the sea.
Of course, it is highly recommendable to rent a car and visit the other, also wonderful beaches on St. Barth, but we still believe that St. Jean, perhaps together with the Great Salines Beach, is the best of them all.
And a final word on the location: St. Barthélemy is a beautiful, very safe, high-class but admittedly slightly snobbish and sterile island - a perfect place to relax and pamper yourself. Try to ignore the bills - it simply makes no sense to look for a "good deal" here. If you want to complement this experience with a place that is more down-to-earth, colourful, and complex, and beautiful in a very different way, combine one week in St. Barth with a week in Guadeloupe (it helps if you know some French).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bedford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

I stayed in one of the two bedroom suites recently with my wife and 2 children. Great beach front location with easy walk to some neighboring hotels with excellent lunch and dinner spots. The rooms are very well sized and we were pleasantly suprised by the size of the covered porch living areas outside the rooms. Our 2 bedroom had a huge covered outside living room with couch, 2 chairs and coffee table on one side and a dining table for 4 with a seperate full kitchen on the other side. The outdoor space was as big as the inside square footage. The hotel front desk staff was excellent and booked all my dining reservations and secured my rental car drop off and pick up. Central island location with a short drive to any beach or resturant on the island. The beachfront location was supurb and a pool would have been the icing on the cake.. Excellent value on what can be a very pricey island.. Wouldnt hesisitate to recommend this hotel to others. Swing by and see Karen and Lorent at Filles de Isles boutique in nearby St Jean and get the jump on casual fashion you will see net season in St Tropez.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

After many day visits to St. Barths, I decided it was time to stay overnight and really experience the island. On one of those trips, my wife and I were watching the planes land and take off while noticing a beautiful, expansive beach at the foot of the runway. At the time, we didn't realize this was St. Jean Beach. I read the reviews on this site, did other research trying to find a suitable place to stay in this area.

I wasn't looking for a big party spot, but, a nice relaxing place to take my wife as a surprise 5th anniversary present. We were staying the majority of our time on another island, however, this trip was intended to break up the week.

Words cannot express how completely and totally satisfied we both were. As others have previously stated, Emelie, is the best host. I can't think of a way she could have been more accommodating or sweeter. From the moment we walked in the door, she made us feel like royalty and treated us that way the entire time.

The rooms are gorgeous and pristine. We stayed in an Ocean Front bungalow. Staring out at the water, listening to the waves, watching the planes, and just being awestruck by the surrounding beauty of the area will be memories forever etched in our minds.

I can't say enough about St. Jean Beach. The white sand, clear water, and background of lush vegetation and scenery are truly something to behold. I think we both kept pinching ourselves asking if this was real. It looks like something out of a movie set and we both feel fortunate to have experienced it in person. The pictures on the website are nice, but, being there is just surreal.

I saw some negative comments on the price of breakfast at the hotel. I can tell you they offer everything from eggs, bacon, pancakes to a Continental made up of fresh breads, etc. The prices are reasonable, even when considering the $ to Euro conversion. That said, you could always get stuff at the local store to cook in-room (actually outside the room as the kitchens are outdoor...very cool). I for one, didn't want to deal with the hassle of cooking.

I could go on and on. To sum it up, you can't go wrong staying here. We plan to come back very soon. Thinking about it puts a smile on my face.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Oh my goodness, what a terrific place to stay when in St. Barth's! My husband and I just returned from a 10 day stay and we were spoiled, pampered, accommodated, and treated top notch, for our entire stay. From the moment we placed our luggage into our garden cottage it was heavenly, with 100 steps that lead us to St Jean Beach, which we find to be the best beach on the island. We ate breakfast every morning right on Emeraude Plage's beach restaurant, which is for their guests only. Maribelle and her co-workers worked their magic every morning with delicious coffee, scrumptious omelettes, and fresh squeezed orange juice. We were spoiled by these beautiful people and loved every minute of our stay there.
And what a fantastic treat we had one evening when there was a wedding next door at Eden Rock Resort and there was a fire works display that ended our evening perfectly, along with a bottle of Chardonnay.
We couldn't have asked for a more relaxing and perfect vacation at Emeraude Plage. It was our first visit to this hotel but each and every trip from now on will be there. We have been traveling to St. Barth's for 10 years and this was our favorite place to park our wintery New England bodies. Don't miss it!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

This was our second trip to St. Barths and first to Emeraude Plage. We absolutely loved it. The location on St. Jean is perfect, we love this beach. Everyone from Genevieve, Emelie and especially Mario made our stay special. We will come back again and again.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Princeton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

I've been fortunate to visit Emeraude Plage five times over the past 15 years and I find a new reason to love it each time. While there are certain things you expect each year - spotless rooms that are right on the beach with a great little kitchenette you can use to keep island delicacies cool - there are always new things to discover and new friends to make. This year we were met Mario who serves as a master of ceremonies (bartender seems not grand enough to describe hime) at the Eau de Mer bar where he reigns. He's a wonderful man who knows the history (and secrets) of the island, makes a great drink and is always up for a laugh. We also met a number of other couples who were enjoying their stay at Emeraude Plage and have all been coming for 10 - 20 years.

Emeraude Plage stays consistent to the things that made you fall in love with it while providing timely updates to decor / beach / outdoor furnishings / landscaping that keep it fresh and interesting.

We love it and we'll go back soon.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

We arrived first week in Dec. and stayed 10 days. It was more than we expected. The room pictures do not give it justice! Genevieve, the proprieter, could not be more welcoming, and genuine. Our room was perfect. Had all the basic things we need and more - super clean and super hip :) the kitchenette was awesome and I suggest you use it or go broke ha ha The beach was steps from our room and closer than we expected. You could hear waves at night :) The prices were crazy expensive (in st. Barts) however, we knew that going there and St. Barts was not responsible for the dollar tanking. STILL, we could not of asked for a better vacay. Food is amazing everywhere. Never had a bad meal. People watching is the best!! Nightlife is soooo much fun. Make sure you go to "ti's" - dancing on tables, house music is sooo much fun. Next door is Nikki - another fun place - Gustavia has such great restaurants and shops. Everything was within walking distance as well which was great - thre restaurants, and plenty of great shops. However, I would rent a car as the taxi's are very expensive and after 7pm at night - they double their price??!!!! so be careful - yes, just crazy. The recessioin has missed St. Barts apparently! The weather was perfect every dat, the water turquoise and warm - Just sick - this place is the best I can't WAIT to go back!!!! Reserving for next year.

• Stayed December 2009

Been to Hotel Emeraude Plage? Share your experiences!