“Very relaxing stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel LeVillage St Barth

You added Hotel LeVillage St Barth to your Saves list
Hotel LeVillage St Barth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Baie de St-Jean, St. Jean 97133, St Barthelemy (Formerly Hotel le Village St Jean)   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in St. Jean
NYC
“Very relaxing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

For the price I think this was absolutely wonderful. We were here for the last 2 weeks of December. We rented a 1st floor cottage. The room itself was very clean. The pictures on their website are true to life I would say. We had a small kitchenette outside and table and chairs. The hotel for us was very well situated, although we drove to all restaurants we could walk to more than a few shops, and the boulangerie was down the driveway! The driveway is steep I warn you, but short and we are on the young side so it did not bother us. Can't say much more about the hotel because we didn't use their facilities much.
We rented a Jeep for the stay not from the hotel but straight from the rental agency. They tried to overcharge us on the spot so it was good that we printed our confirmation and price.
The first day we drove to March and stocked up on food - mandatory wine/champagne, cheese, meats, veggies, coffe, etc. And thereafter came back a few other times. there is also a smaller market really close to the hotel, and we went there a few times to load stock up.
Every morning for breakfast my husband would run down the hill (3 minutes maybe?) to the boulangerie, and get a fresh baguette, and we would sit and enjoy the view with our coffee and breakfast.
Afterwards we usually made our way down to Eden Rock and rented their chairs on the beach- I think they were EUR 20 each for the day, but this way you had use of the beach, chairs and service. We ate lunch at Eden Rock, Nikki Beach, twice at Isle de France because we were having massage treatments there - all were great, and my husband enjoyed the "fashion shows". We also drove to a few of the local beaches some days, and they were all nice, but I hate laying right next to the sand =) so I preferred staying at Eden Rock and just renting the chairs (even though the beach at Eden Rock is tiny).
After dinner we would often walk down to Nikki Beach (its right down the driveway across the street), and play cards while having a few drinks. I would recommend bringing bug spray, even with a Gin and Tonic (or few) they bit me up.
So overall very nice stay, and we would return again - I definitely recommend the cottages, and the next time I think we would upgrade to a larger one.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

I stayed at VSJ to extend a trip past my villa stay with friends. The price was very reasonable but I wish I had known enough to spend the money for a cottage because it was the noisiest hotel room I've ever stayed in. It seemed to be located at a point on the street where every vehicle has to shift and grind onward. There was a nice breeze and I couldn't leave the door open and hear myself think. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great so I was somewhat confined inside. There were only 2 English channels on the TV which ordinarily would have been fine as who watches TV on vacation, but it was pouring rain one evening so going out wasn't really an option. Also, the book of info they gave me indicated that the restaurant was open but they informed me that they had no restaurant except for breakfast. The walk to the shops and restaurants in St Jean isn't too long but the hill is steep coming back up,, fine for me but maybe not for everyone. Internet access is in the office now but they have no printer hooked up to the computer there so if you need to print boarding passes you need to email them to the hotel for them to print. I stayed at L'esplanade on St Martin the night before coming to SBH and found their service and accomodations to be far superior for not much more in the way of rate, but then again, St Martin is certainly not as nice as St Barth.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I'd always stayed in Villas on previous trips to St Barts so this was my first time booking a hotel. I'm definitely a fan of the Village St Jean and would return.

Check-in was smooth and friendly. The only small challenge was getting all of our luggage to our room. The hotel is on a hillside and the rooms are in separate buildings from the reception area. There are also lots of stairs and stone pathways that we had to traverse to get our bags from our rental car to the room.

We booked a Garden View Deluxe and it was quite nice. We had a covered outdoor area that included a small sitting area and table and chairs. This was attached to an outdoor kitchenette with a refrigerator. Inside there was a good sized bedroom and large bath. While the outdoor area was great to have, there are some cats and dogs that roam the property and a black cat seemed to know every time we put out some cheese and crackers!

The infinity pool is a good size and has fabulous views of the water. There is also a tiny gym near the pool -- nothing special, but certainly is there if you need it.

While we didn't eat dinner in the restaurant, we heard good reviews of it. And we had our complimentary breakfast each morning there on the patio, which was lovely.

There are no tvs in the room, but they have a large flat screen adjacent to the restaurant to keep up on world events. And while they used to have a computer with internet access in the same area, they had none this time. And while its great to unplug, we desperately needed internet access when we learned all flights back to the east coast had been canceled the next day due to a snow storm. We found out the night before and as the front desk closes at 8pm, there was no one for us to even ask if there was room for us to extend our stay. Hopefully the computer and internet access are coming soon!

St Barts is expensive -- there's no getting around it. But its also my favorite island and worth the trip. While the hotel is not cheap, I was pleasantly surprised at their rates - especially as it was their high season.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I just returned from my 6th stay at this wonderful hotel. Everything about it is as close to perfect as possible. The family that runs it is very responsive and personally take care of every detail. Great views. Free breakfast. Spacious suites. I would suggest anyone stay here for a terrific experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

Hated to return from our 11 blissful days at Le Village St-Jean. After an exhaustive search for a private villa with a pool, we booked the Villa Iguana directly through this hotel. We had read a great review from a previous guest on tripadvisor which lead to our inquiry.
Location and privacy were of upmost importance to us. The view, well stocked kitchen(every appliance/utensil you could wish for), and helpful staff (Natalie and Jean-Phillipe) were icing on the cake. The hotel also supplied us with beach chairs, cooler and an umbrella. We rented snorkeling gear (wish we had brought ours) for Grand Saline...great snorkeling!
Excellent take out restaurants Kiki e Mo (never had better chicken parm) and Maya's are within walking distance as is famous Nikki Beach bar and restaurant, Eden Rock and beautiful St-Jean beach.
We usually summer in Spain but with the Euro, it is getting out of control. Even though St Barth is on the Euro, there are many affordable meal plans in the off season. Check into the massage deals through La Lingne if you are there in the slow season. We spent a relaxing day at Le Toiny including 90 minute massage/spa treatment of choice, 3 course lunch with a cocktail, wine and water, use of the pool etc for 110E!! After visiting Le Toiny, we learned that they had Lobster Fridays for 58E. We would have booked if we had known....such a great hotel and restaurant...very relaxing.
If you go off season, take a lot of US cash. Many stores/restaurants offer very favorable exchange rates sometimes up to 30% better!
Favorite beaches were Grand Saline, Gouverneurs and St. Jean
Obviously we'd recommend this to our friends and hope to return next year....although we almost want to keep it a secret!

• Liked — privacy, location, open concept of villa, private pool, view, benefit of association with hotel
  • Disliked — mosquitos, bring lots of repellent!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

We booked one of the one-bedroom cottages that overlooked the bluff for a seven night honeymoon. Very nice view of the water and St. Jean beach (about a five minute walk below). The view was excellent and the room was clean for the most part. There was an outdoor kitchen area that included a stove and refrigerator.

On the second day while taking a nap, I was bit several times by tiny little ants. There were several (5-10) ants all over the pillow-part of the bed. I went to the front reception area where several of Ms. Charneau and staff were busy with various things. I explained to all that we had ants in the bed. Ms. Charneau gave a quick smile/half laugh and simply said: “ants”. I then did my best to inform them that there were ants in our bed, and could they please do something about it. No affirmative ‘yes’ from anyone; just disregarded with a laugh and “ants”. Returned to the room wondering if I had done something wrong. About 2 hours later my wife went to the reception to inquire about something else and asked if anyone was going to come take care of the ants. The C family responded by saying, “well did anyone come by and tell us you had ants?” Yes, very clearly we told you we had ants in the bed. 3 hours later, at about 10:00PM, a man came by with a can of Raid while we were sitting outside on the patio. By this time there were also ants in the kitchen. In order to give an example of the type of bugs crawling in our bed, I took him over to the ants and said “these are also in our bed”. He laughed! I repeatedly told him that I didn’t care about the ants in the kitchen, but that there were ants like the ones in the kitchen in our bed and they were biting us. Given the option of sleeping with ants or sleeping with Raid chemicals, I sent him off. The next day, they changed our sheets, but that was the extent of their pest control.

It gets worse. Next four nights, in addition to the ants, I had to kill 7 roaches that were IN the room. Not outside in the kitchen, or in the bathroom, but underneath our bed and crawling up our dresser. Every time you flipped the light switch, one or two roaches would scurry across the floor. How much were we paying per night? $500. For $500 you get the added honeymoon experience of killing roaches every day. What did family C do about it? Absolutely nothing. After explaining to them each morning that we found it unacceptable to sleep with ants and to kill roaches, they did nothing. They rudely shrugged us off. Not once in our entire stay did Ms. C say “sorry”. That is what prompted this review. No acknowledgement that we even had an issue; complete disregard of what we had to say, and never an apology! Instead they gave us the argument that “it’s part of the tropical experience”. To sleep with ants in your bed and kill roaches that are clinging to your clothes hanging in the closet is ridiculous and shouldn’t be part of a $500/night hotel experience. This wasn’t the Motel 6 of the Caribbean. Finally on the 6th night we were moved to another villa that had become available. This only happened because the younger man of the staff understood that we were upset at having to solve the problem ourselves (lack of sleep and Raid chemicals; we decided we’d rather sleep with Raid than with roaches) and that another room had become available.

The island is unbelievably gorgeous, so visit. I wouldn’t recommend VSJ, though. We purposely waited a month to post this review so that it wouldn’t be guided by emotion, yet thinking about how much money was spent and how rude and unaccommodating the C family was really gets us going. We are happy to discuss this with anyone interested. We are not high maintenance Americans who demand everything in sight. We specifically picked this place because it was significantly cheaper than others on the island and looked peaceful and laid-back. We weren’t expecting Four Seasons, but we were expecting a relatively bug free environment and a host who showed even a slight hint of care. Even when we checked out Ms. C was upset that she had to call long distance to my credit card company who mistakenly put a hold on my card. I could tell she wanted to add the long distance charge to my bill. Ridiculous.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Village St.Jean Hotel for one week at the beginning of May. Since the hotel was quite busy due to the Transat AG2r boat race, Catherine Charneau, the Hotel Manager offered us the first 2 nights at a beautiful luxury 2 bedroom villa, called Villa Iguana, which is located just off the Hotel property with beautiful views of St. Jean bay and it's own pool. The remaining 5 nights we spent at Villa Number 8 overlooking the beautiful hotel pool and the bay of St.Jean. It was great having our own kitchen, which I believe most rooms have, where we were able to enjoy dinners and lunches without having to go to restaurants every day. The room was very clean and all staff very professional and friendly. The king size bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel also features a small gym and massage room which was in excellent condition. I highly recommend this hotel. We will return next year.

• Liked — Having a kitchen, the views of the bay
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel LeVillage St Barth? Share your experiences!