“Fantastic Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manhattan Beach, CA
“Fantastic Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Eden Rock is a great resort on a beautiful island. You are literally on (or over) the beach. The food is divine. The wine was perfect. Everything is French and delicious. We can't recommend the resort, or the island, enough. If you're complaining about Eden Rock or St. Barts, something is really wrong with you. It's certainly pricey, but it should be.

St. Barts itself is far and away the best spot in the Caribbean. While a bit tough to get to, it's worth the trip. Gorgeous beaches, good shopping, amazing restaurants, beautiful people, laid back attitude, but with a French twist on everything.

The only negative experience we had at Eden Rock was being moved out of some lounge chairs for a VIP family. There were plenty of other places to sun though so it could be forgiven. I would also suggest renting a car. There aren't many cabs on the island.

>>> Follow @TripAustin on Twitter for the best of resorts and destinations around the globe.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

My first review ever! Seriously, this place is wonderful. I'm lucky enough to have traveled a lot, and found Eden Rock close to perfection.
The service is first rate, the food at the restaurant is great, and the location is ideal.
If you can afford it, stay in one of the rooms with a private pool! If you can't, the Contempoary Beach Rooms are very nice (where I stayed) Not huge, but nicely laid out with large a large balcony.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

St Barths is a great island (unlike any other my husband and I have traveled to). The beaches are great with beautiful water and the town is much nicer than most other Caribbean islands. The Eden Rock hotel is beautiful. We stayed in a Classic Rock suite, which was exceptional (other than being a little small). The only negative we encountered at the hotel was very spotty service.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
North Hampton, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

The Edenrock hotel is truly a luxurious Carribbean destination. The setting is spectacular. The beach has beautiful white sand, and the water is among the clearest in the Carribbean. We stayed in a Contemporary Beachfront room. It was about 550 square feet, nicely appointed with updated features and fixtures. The service is very professional. The beach staff was excellent, especially Christophe, who tended to all our needs at the beach. The Beach chaise lounges are extremely comforatble, and the water was lovely.

The restaurants at the hotel were ver good. The Sandbar is open from 12-4 and serves a great lunch overlooking the beach. The Rock is the place for dinner, and we found the cuisine to be excellent, with an even better settiing. If you want to venture out, the Guanihani hotel has a great pool restaurant for lunch and dinner. Also recommend the restaurant at Shell Beach for lunch.

For dinner, we found the Wall House at Gustavia to be the best in town.

Only tough part was flight into St Barts, quite scary.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

my husband and i were at eden rock this february,
and after reading the 2 negative reviews, i actually
felt as though we weren't even at the same hotel!
nothing whatsoever described in those two reviews
was our experience. in fact, quite the opposite.
WE DID NOT ENCOUNTER ONE RUDE staff member!
the driver was waiting at the airport with a warm welcome.
the staff at breakfast and/or at lunch at the sand bar
were lovely and courteous and attentive.
buffet breakfast selection was abundant: coffee, teas, champagne, fresh juices and fruits, dried fruits, freshly baked goods, breads, cereals, dranola, scrambled eggs, sausages, potatoes, cheeses, quiches, smoked fish.
a daily fax of your country's news was available every morning on a table in the sand bar, where breakfast is served.
everyone, with special mention to the beach staff, the concierge, the housekeepers, the car attendants, was extremely pleasant, attentive and anxious to please.
sonia, the hotel manager, is warm and friendly, and a good listener. she would greet guests at breakfast every morning,
and ALWAYS followed up if a guest had a request or a concern.

i am sorry that the reviewers had such different experiences.
but for us, we can't wait to return for the 20 year!

(by the way, donatella versace was NOT at eden rock.
the woman, who has been staying there for many months,
was incorrectly identified as donatella by the paparazzi.)

devon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

I fully agree with last review, there was no one at airport to meet us after 10 mins we phoned, no apology just told he had left hotel ages ago. The hotel is about 1000yds from airport. Not a good start.
We asked one of the members of staff to call a taxi for us, we were told sometimes they come sometimes they don't best to wander down road and see if you can find one. Luckily the staff at Nikki Beach phoned for one for us.
The first evening at dinner, we asked the barman if we could order before we sat down. At the time the head waiter was serving someone else so the waiter went off chatting to another member of staff and obviously forgot. When he remembered the head waiter had gone so he had to go and find him. We had dressed up as the restaurant requires 'elegantly casual'. Three people on our left had jeans on and 2 on our right had not especially smart shorts. I did ask about this the next day at reception and was told jeans and shorts are ok then her phone rang so she answered it. I left, I didn't expect to have to wait while she finished her call.
The breakfast was lovely, although if you weren't early the fruit choice was limited and if you wanted a fried, boiled or poached egg it was an extra 9 Euros!!! Nearly £9 for an egg, I dread to think what an omelette would cost.
One morning at breakfast I think my coffee pot was broken and the coffee spilled everywhere, I got up and got a clean cup from another table, eventually I asked if they could take away the messy one, I apologised and said I thought jug broken, nothing was said and no more coffee was brought. After a while you just give up!! Every morning a piece of paper was stuck on our table asking how much gratuity we would like added to the bill!!!
The beach bar is open until 6pm. The first night my husband sat and asked a waiter for a drink, he was told he had to go into bar and get it himself. Another night at 5pm they were doing a stock take so 2 or 3 were standing on stools behind the bar, shouting out to 2 or 3 others what they found. I said it should be done when bar closed, they said it had to be done every month, but surely it could be done when the bar is closed!! The staff just looked at me and never really said anything. I was quite cross and feel if none of them were managers they should have alerted someone to speak to us and tried to explain why stocktaking has to take place while the bar is open.
Another night at 5.45 they said the bar was shut and we would have to go upstairs, we eventually got served, then told computer closed so would have to pay next day. Everyday the bar was covered in breakfast stuff, cups and coffee jugs etc and very untidy. Also, everyday the takings were added up, see attached photos taken about 5pm. This bar area seemed to be a general meeting/ hanging about place for staff, as often there would be groups of 3 or 4 stood around talking.
We returned to our room at 9.30pm, our bed hadn't been turned down, this was not a problem but we wanted the bottled water that was brought by the housekeeper each evening as the tap water is not drinkable. I rang reception and was greeted with a very frosty reception more or less asking what I wanted her to do about it. When I said I would like some water she said ' what now'

Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

My husband and I managed to annoy the hotel staff with our pesky requests for things like beach towels, restaurant reservations and taxis. We tried to make a restaurant reservation with the concierage who (without even looking at us) told us to make it at the restaurant. The restaurant ignored us for a while and then told us they were closed. And so it went. The next night was my birthday. My husband made reservations for a restaurant in Gustavia. The hotel recommended that we rent a car. We showed up for the car and (no surprise with us) they (the hotel staff) forgot to get us the car. Here is a transcript of why you should not pay the huge amount of money they charge to stay at this place. My husband, after finding out that Eden Rock did not get us a rental car, "any suggestions on how we can get to Gustavia?" Hotel staff at Eden Rock, "no". H (for husband), " hotel car?" Eden Rock, "no". H, "could you call us a cab?" Eden Rock, "they are difficult to get." H, "do you have any other suggestions?" Eden Rock "no". H, "what about La Plage (a restaurant I found on the internet which was in walking distance - we were already suspicious of their ability to assist in any way, shape or form). Eden Rock, "oh, (as if waking from a stupor) it is very good". These were the rudest hotel staff we have seen, I think ever. The maid service was excellent but it did not make up for this over priced under performing experience. We checked early to move to Le Toiny (very nice- see review) and did Eden Rock care? No, of course not. One less pesky customer to annoy them with requests for towels, meals and taxis. We shall never annoy them again and I suggest you do not either. They need their time to surf the web and listen to their ipods. Do not annoy them with your requests. Stay far away. They need their rest.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Eden Rock - St Barths? Share your experiences!