“Nickeled and dimed the whole time” 3 of 5 stars

Eden Rock - St Barths
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Baie de St-Jean, St. Jean 97133, St Barthelemy   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in St. Jean
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nickeled and dimed the whole time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The place is nice in a very convenient location to the airport. The room categories and price points seem to be very random and the rooms at the same price point are not of equal value, some have ocean views others are the ground floor in a basement. Most additional services are outsourced to third parties and they simply take a cut and add to your tab for picking up the phone and making a reservations. Specifically, the massages are outsourced to "professionals" who in fact have little massage experience. You are better off making your own arrangements through off-site services. The food at the restaurant is good not great and very overpriced, we suggest Santa Rosa at the top of the hill/mountain. For

229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This place is very nice. 5 star rooms with 5 star service. great location. The beach is nice but there are many other you will be going to. Very polite staff and helpful. went to Anguilla from there and they helped with the reservations. probably going back in august. Not great for kids but the island in general isn't great for young family vacations.

Room Tip: get a beach front room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stayed at Eden Rock for my 40th birthday. No other place could have offered a more magical way to spend it. We stayed in the Greta Garbo suite which is luxury to the nines. Every meal we had, especially breakfast, was fantastic. The staff was exceptional. On my birthday, I even had the pleasure of having a drink with David Matthews, owner of the resort. It is still hard to believe we were really there, the trip was so fabulous. We are not so patiently waiting to go back next year! A big thank you to all the staff that made our trip perfect!

• Stayed May 2013
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just arrived back from our 6 night honeymoon! We stayed in the James Suite which was absolutely beautiful. From the second we arrived in St. Barth's everything was perfect. Our driver was waiting there right when we came off our flight. Once we arrived at Eden Rock (it's only a 2 minute drive from the airport), it was truly 5 stars. We were greeted instantly and shown around the property and taken to our suite. The suite is just breathtaking, it really is one of the most amazing suites we have ever stayed in. To be honest, I think some of these reviewers are being overly nit-picky. I completely agree that the small details are what makes the big picture perfect, but I think nit-picking things like spelling a name wrong or complaining about not having enough cereal is very snobby and pretentious. I understand it is a 5 star resort, but those things are so minuscule in the grand scheme of things. I can honestly say from the staff, to the free breakfast (which was delicious), to the view, to the room, every thing was perfect and we were taken care of every step of the way. If you need anything they are willing to do it for you and make it happen. I couldn't recommend this hotel more for a honeymoon, it was fabulous!!!!!!

Room Tip: James Suite has a private pool and is right on the beach, very private for couples honeymooning
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Came here for lunch one day while staying at the hotel guanahani. Great restaurant and a beautiful view while eating. From what I can tell, the hotel is fantastic as well. Lobby and hallway to restaurant were clean and fantastic looking. Definitely stay or stop in for lunch while in St. Barths.

• Stayed July 2012
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I just returned from a 3 nights stay at Eden Rock which initially was supposed to be 5 nights but after being treated with such disregard and disrespect, I had no choice but to cut my trip short (despite losing 2 nights of room rate and tax that I would have to pay - that says a lot).

Fellow travelers, before I go on, I think it's important to inform you that I have been to St. Barths 5 times now and the first time I actually stayed at Eden Rock (2007) but recall a much richer and more relaxing experience. This time however, was simply disastrous! As other reviewers have posted and I also agree, Eden Rock is lucky to be situated on one of the most amazing beaches on the island. And when you really analyze what makes this hotel special, you realize that mother nature's contribution far outweighs what the hotel and its staff currently have to offer.

Here's the play by play of my hugely disappointing 3 nights:

Day/Night 1

- Despite numerous emails with hotel staff prior to arrival to coordinate car rental and other leisure activities, when my wife and I arrived (BTW, it was our honeymoon) and were greeted, I was asked about everything again like if I had never even sent a single email. Not fun to have to answer the same questions again especially when you want to get to your room and relax.

- Upon entering the room, saw a welcome card and discovered they had misspelled my wife's last name (they did spell it correctly on our bill).

- Stayed in the Greta Garbo suite which does have an amazing view of St. Jean Bay but if you're a light sleeper, beware of the constant noise throughout the night since it is located next to the hotel's reception. We got no sleep.

Day/Night 2

- Told hotel staff at breakfast that we did not get rest due to noise and a manager offered to resolve the matter. They upgraded us to a nice beach house later that day (Frangipani) however I had to pay an additional 260 euros per night which I felt was a bit unfair (it was later refunded because of subsequent miscues). That said, the usual rate for this beach house was much greater so they did give me a break on the price but still, I was on my honeymoon and negotiating rates was not the ideal thing to be doing. Oh and one other thing, they could only accommodate us in this beach house for one night so we would be forced to move again the following day. What can be more relaxing than having to pack and unpack your bags everyday (I promise this will be the only bit of sarcasm in my entire review; now back to the facts).

- Because we were to be moved the following day to the adjacent beach house (Jasmine), we received a call from hotel staff saying we would have to leave the house we were in by 12noon and would have a 3 hour window were we would have no room until the standard 3pm check-in time. I immediately protested this with the gentleman on the phone and after much back and forth he said he could offer us a temporary Captain's Cabin if we wanted.

- While in Frangipani beach house, we had two instances of blatant intrusions of privacy (remember this was our honeymoon). Two hotel staffers casually strolled into the pool area (which is supposed to be private) to clean it but not even a knock, call or anything. I called reception and complained and got an empty apology because a half hour later another staffer came in through a back door that leads to an outside dining area and she also did not bother to announce herself. BTW, there are privacy signs that supposedly should prevent this from happening and ours was set to "Privacy Please" but that did not stop anyone from coming in at will.

- Called for room service and asked about a pasta dish on the 24-hour room service menu. The woman on the phone seemed annoyed that I asked if the portion was too big but did tell me it was just fine for one person so I ordered two for my wife and I. When the food was being delivered, it happened to be raining lightly outside and I noticed that none of the plates were covered so our food was rained on. To make matters worse, the pasta was terrible and the portions were ridiculously big.

- For you sports fans, this one will kill you. I requested that hotel staff include TNT in their channel line up so that I could watch Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals. And while they got the channel for me, in the course of the 3 hours that the game was on, there were warning messages from Dish Network popping up every 10 minutes saying that the bill had not been paid and service would be interrupted. This message blocked 75% of the screen and there was no way for me to dismiss it. I frantically called the front desk and was told they'd have to get back to me. When the person called back, they said they spoke to a technician and that if the channel with the problem was Fox News something could be done immediately to fix it, but any other channel where this message was popping up would have to wait until the following day. That's just weird.

- Frangipani beach house is situated alongside a main roadway on the island and therefore on weekdays is subject to noise pollution from passing cars and very loud motorcycles so once again, no sleep for either of us. Now this is getting out of hand.

Day/Night 3

- Greeted at breakfast by same manager and told we were not going to have to wait 3 hours until checking-in to the adjacent house. I was relieved but skeptical especially after all that had already transpired. Sure enough, when 12 noon rolled around, we were told that we'd have to wait an hour before being allowed in. By now I was furious but my better half calmed me down until we were taken to the provisional room (Captain's Cabin, which should be called Captain's Closet given its shoe box feel) and then she too broke down. After this is when I decided to cut the trip short.

- Called the front desk to ask them for help with the local airline in order to get our flight to St. Maarten changed (had connecting flight to Miami) and was assured that it would be done but no one ever did anything. I found out because after waiting an eternity for an answer I took matters into my own hands and drove to the airport to do it myself. The airline representative I spoke to said there was no record of anyone from eden Rock ever calling on my behalf.

- At this juncture, apparently my nightmare experience had reached top brass of the hotel and when I arrived at the reception to reiterate that I was cutting my trip short, I got a visit from the senior manager of the hotel. I explained everything that had gone on and she with a very arrogant and defiant attitude said "I know you are not going to leave. I'm sending champagne to your room tonight, you'll get some sleep and feel better tomorrow." I found this to be a complete and utter disregard of my situation and was deeply insulted at the notion that a bottle of champagne would remedy a slew of unthinkable and careless mistakes. And as it would turn out, the champagne never even arrived.

So now it's the morning of our eagerly awaited departure and the first manager we dealt with comes back around for a final apology. I opted to keep conversation to a minimum knowing that we were already gone and I would no longer have to deal with this place. I was wrong. I went back to the room to collect our things and received my final bill and would you believe friends, we were overcharged by 1,500 euros. So here I go back to the manger who told me should could not believe this had happened and tried to resolve it on the spot but their system was down. I had to send an email later in the day to reservations to get my revised final bill with the correct amount.

For those of you who read the entire review you may be tempted to think this is some freakish streak of bad luck but it is not. You see, TRUE luxury is in the details. It's when hotels and their respective employees work tirelessly to pamper and spoil you especially when this hotel has received so many awards and accolades (makes you question the criteria by which these distinctions are granted). Furthermore, when you are on your honeymoon attention to detail should be the guiding principal. It seems so elementary to me that I'm perplexed as to how Eden Rock management failed miserably in this regard. But hey, if you've never been to St. Barths and the natural beauty is just too much to resist and you appreciate true luxury, then consider the other Relais & Chateaux property on the island where at the very least your privacy is respected. I've stayed there twice in the past and boy did I miss them this time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Eden Rock H, Guest Relations Manager at Eden Rock - St Barths, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Something is not fair here......

The Deputy General Manager of Eden Rock met this gentleman the day before he left St Barths, he was pleasant to her but he mentioned amongst many complaints " he had not slept for 3 nights - that his wife did not want to leave the hotel - and that he had a very big business meeting scheduled for the following week and it was particularly stressfull".

Eden Rock regrets anything that troubles it's guests and genuinely does everything it can to respond effectively and this approach was attempted for this Guest.

The Team here at Eden Rock – St Barths wishes the married couple all the best for their happiness together in the years to come.
Guest Relations Manager
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I don't want to be unfair to the hotel, the location and setting are Magic the reception staff are fantastic and helpful. I stayed in the Howard Huges suite which was very cool, they advertise a cinema room in there. It's actually a TV that's way to small for the room and facing the wrong way, but the rooms great with fantastic views.

Dinner On the Rock has the most amazing view on the island, however the variety of food could be better.

I guess for me the most disappointing area was Sand Bar for breakfast the pastrys didn't impress at all,(chocolate croissants I expect to be flacky not stodgy) the selection of fruit and cereal was limited, could do much better here. And even though breakfast is included they hand you a bill for service, bit cheeky.

The beach staff basically pay
Little attention to the guest once you sit down, at this level of hotel I expect to be waited on. Most top
Hotels hand out fruit, sorbet and chilled towels to guests. Here your lucky to get a drink.

All these things are so simple to fix.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Eden Rock - St Barths? Share your experiences!