“Beautiful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in St. Jean
New York City, New York
“Beautiful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We visited Eden Rock with our 4 month old son and stayed at Waterlily House. It was perfect as we had our own infinity pool together with a private jacuzzi at the rear of the villa. This meant that we could put our son to sleep in his stroller and then relax with a glass of champagne in the jacuzzi as we could see him through the glass doors! Bliss. The breakfast was lovely, quite near to the house and they even served gluten free bread every morning for me as we had told them in advance of my gluten intolerance. The only downside was that the villa is not very private and you can see into it and over the swimming pool as it is on the beach. We ate fantastic room service from the restaurant most evenings once we had put our son to bed and also had a lovely meal in the restaurant one evening. We also visitied a local supermarket to stock up on some lovely wines etc as the resort is expensive but the villa had a kitchen complete with fridge, coffee maker, hob, kettle etc so we also bought some snacks and bits for light lunch etc. All in all a beautiful resort, expensive but worth it!

Room Tip: Waterlily House
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New Hope, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

This hotel was not a good fit for us. There is no pool and my kids like a pool. Some rooms have small private pools but ours had only a jacuzzi. There is no kids club only a couple of canoes on the beach. The hotel is very close to the airport and although entertaining to watch the planes at first, it quickly becomes annoying and noisy. The guest services people were very helpful and friendly, but it helps that they get about 20% commission on your rentals,according to my calculations. The beach is very nice and has the calmest waters in the island. The breakfast was fine and the buffet is included in the room price. Expect to have reservations for lunch or dinner. The food was very good, and this is true for everywhere we went. The hotel felt like a private club since many people there have "time-shares" and everybody is happy to see them. If you are not a part of this group, nobody will remember your name. This is not the Ritz Cartton service in any way. The service on the beach is spotty, I believe depending on the tip and the club thing. One day I was swimming but the beach attendants took my towel and beach chair cover because it was past 5 PM, so I wasn't happy when I came out of the water. The whole place felt very enclosed, which I understand for a city hotel but not for a resort. Now I don't like to complain and I understand that the island is expensive, but for close to $3,000 per night, I would expect more. My kids still talk about our vacation to Jumby Bay last year. I bet Eden Rock will not be on the list to return to.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Spent four nights here in February in the Howard Hughes Suite. Overall we really loved the room and the place. The view from this room is amazing - looking out over the water from every side. Great sense of space - large sitting room in the middle, a kitchen and dining area on one end with the bedroom on the other end. Two large bathrooms (one with a shower).

The dining was so great we never ventured off property. We usually do explore when we travel so this was unusual for us - we just never felt the need. And, we'd visited St Barts before so much would be a repeat. The menu selection at On the Rocks was especially varied and the food delicious. Breakfast and lunch at the Sand Bar perfectly reasonable.

Staff overall were very helpful and pleasant. And, I'm glad they are protective of the guests enjoyment in favor of non-guests.

The only negative item during our stay was the loud music from the adjacent Nikki Beach. This is a restaurant / lounge on the beach just east of Eden Rock. You can rent chairs and, yes, beach beds. They play music quite loud from late morning to late afternoon. The music selection is worn-out. And, did I say loud? Their guests must suffer from bleeding ears - yikes. Anyway, the noise could not be heard in the Sand Bar or rooms further west of there. The rooms on the south or west of the rock should be quiet too. But, there are some rooms that face right to Nikki Beach or ours which was on top of the rock. I'm easily bothered by noise so it goes to show how much I enjoyed Eden Rock overall that this didn't even knock it down 1 point on my rating.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
jtml0802
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and thought the hotel was excellent. We spent half of our stay in the James Suite and the other have in The Reef (A Classic Rock Suite). The Reef was a great classic rock suite with a balcony that overlooked the ocean waves. Very adequate in itself. However, if you want to be spoiled, the James Suite was AMAZING. My husband and I absolutely loved to have our own private pool and jacuzzi. We also had easy access to the beach which was just a few steps away in our "backyard." Every night, we received yummy macarons as a treat and one night we even received two beautiful roses as a special honeymoon extra. I looked forward to the morning breakfasts every single day... delicious pastries, hot foods, and a huge selection of spreads including jams, nutella, and honey. Service was excellent as they answered a ton of our questions and also helped us make reservations at recommended restaurants (we loved L'Isola and cabaret night at Le Ti). We didn't spend too much time at the beach though, as we found the sand to be rough with lots of tiny shells. However, we enjoyed taking the car (which was included in our package) to explore other beaches around the island. The only thing that kind of put a damper on our vacation was the mosquito situation. Although the rooms in Eden Rock offer you a whole cabinet full of mosquito repellant sprays and even a zapper, I still got eaten alive and left the island with about 20 bites! My husband had about 10. We went to sleep with the zapper next to us and kept the mosquito repellant plug-in plugged in right next to our bed, but it was to no avail. Unfortunately, we didn't get to really spend too much time in the "living room" area of the James Suite just b/c it was filled with mosquitos. Maybe you guys will be luckier. Regardless, I would still want to go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Southeast USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I travel a good bit and have been to St Barths dozens of times. I have stayed in most of the major hotels on St Barths and can recommend several for their own particular attributes. When I travel, I like to stay in fine places. If I cant stay somewhere grand, I wont go. I'll just stay home.

Anyway, Eden Rock is one of the most fantastic hotels anywhere. Service, staff, decoration, food, location, it has it all in a very exotic St Tropez in the Caribbean way.

There are several posts in this site complaining that the staff of Eden Rock either does not allow non-guests to use the beach chairs or charges them for this service. Well, who'd have thunk it?

Here is the skinny: St Barths has about 8,000 or so residents and can accommodate about 1,500 guests or so. St Jean is the most popular beach, favored by locals and people who enjoy food, drink and a beautiful view of the ocean without waves. So we are led to believe by some that any of the 9,500 people on the island should be allowed to use the chairs that Eden Rock provides for its guests at no charge? And then, when a hotel guest shows up to find all the chairs have been taken by nonpaying customers, that guest just, well, who knows?

Uh yeah.

All beaches on St Barths are public. HOWEVER, the articles placed on those beaches (chairs, umbrellas, etc) by private concerns are NOT public items. Anyone wanting to rent chairs at Nikki Beach (I recommend this) or Tom Beach (I also recommend this) can do so and will have a great time. But when a restaurant, bar or hotel has a limited number of chairs on its beach, expecting those chairs to be snatched up on a First Come First Serve basis by the public is silliness in the extreme.

How much sense does it make to have a hotel review by a person who DID NOT STAY IN THE HOTEL?

I could urge everyone around the world reading this to ignore the bad posts and rent a room at Eden Rock NOW but with occupancy rates running close to full year round at Eden Rock (and many of those being repeat guests) it is already hard enough to get a room at the place without some advanced planning.

Anyone reading the posts about hotel staff reserving the beach chairs for hotel guests and seeing that as a BAD thing should heed such advice. Anyone who sees that as a GOOD thing should book immediately for the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
FRANCE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We have been on Saint Barth few times and it was our first stay at Eden Rock. For us, Eden Rock is the best hotel on the island. Best for location, right on the beach not to far from Gustavia . The service is good, can always be perfected. The beach restaurant is good and the diner restaurant is one of the best on the island

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

My wife and I visited Eden Rock for our honeymoon, and in one word..."wow". Awesome location, amazing service, beautiful suites, and great staff. I could go on and on. Not a single thing was disappointing here. You need to be prepared for the cost, but that is common anywhere in St. Barts. Despite the cost, it was well worth the money. I would say that this was the nicest hotel and best vacation we have ever had. If I could choose one place to go in the world right at this moment, it would be Eden Rock in St. Barts.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very unique, with individual decor and layouts. I don't think you can go w...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Eden Rock - St Barths? Share your experiences!