“Small dingy room, nice balcony” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Hotel

Sunset Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gustavia
Sunset Hotel
Save Saved
You added Sunset Hotel to your Saves list
Rue de la Republique, Gustavia 97133, St Barthelemy   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Gustavia
Thousand Oaks, California
“Small dingy room, nice balcony”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Our room was so small we could barely move. No place for suitcases so we were tripping over them to move around. Bathroom was tiny. Beds were uncomfortable. Lobby was nice and we did have much needed air conditioning. Location was nice and view from terrace was lovely. But room was so uncomfortable and cramped I would never stay again. I would spend more for a nicer place. This is a BUDGET hotel so okay if trying to get somewhere cheap. Terrace location and view from terrace are the only high points.

Room Tip: Get a room with water view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

If you like being in the middle of it all this is a perfect Hotel for you. If you book a room on the water front then you will be awoke by the morning traffic that starts at 7 am sharp. If you opt for the back side rooms then you will able to sleep in a bit. The rooms are pretty plain and newly renovated (Except the Beds) The so called King bed in my room was 2 single beds pushed together and it felt like the box springs and not a mattress. Overall the Hotel was very clean and well organised. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. After all you don't go to St. Barths for the hotel room, but a good nights rest is highly recommended for the busy day and night life.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

If you want to be exhausted for the whole of your holiday then stay here. The day we arrived there was scaffolding being dissembled workers starting at 6.30am, when i came out and asked them to stop they ignored me. Thankfully after 3 mornings of waking me they stopped. We stayed on for 10 days and frankly only because the hotelier would not give us a refund when we wanted to leave. Builders aside we had room number which if you MUST stay at this pathetic hotel, then make sure you arent in this room as it shares a paper thin wall with their kitchen which starts work on breakfast at 6.30am for 7am start. from 6.30am it was slamming cupboard doors, laughter,glasses clinking, plates smashing together. I was so tired after endless days of this that i had to sleep my days away on the beach in order to cope! i asked to move room and reluctantly the hotelier moved us after 6 long days of no sleep. this was better slightly although could still hear the kitchen from only one further room away. the noise problem which was equyally as bad was the constant traffic right outside the hotel room door, gustavia is very lively but this hotel is right on the road and loud to the point where i think this hotel should take responsibility to tell you as you book that you wont get much sleep from 7am at least, the scooters are the worst and the traffic is unrelenting, not a second goes by without noise no matter the time of day. the walls in this hotel are so thin they may as well not be there its that bad.
the receptionist/hotelier is a very french lady and i dont mean this as a compliment. I live in France so i know what this means, she was just rude enough not to get blamed but not helpful and cold with her retorts for any normal hotel stay requests. as my partner and i had been travelling for 3 weeks already we needed a laundromat. she had no idea of its opening hours/days and the 3 days we attempted to use it it was closed. so i bought some laundry powder in order to hand wash a few things instead and when she saw the laundry hanging in the bath room she scolded us! over all not a hotel to bother with. I think save a bit longer and pay a bit more for a better stay elsewhere

Room Tip: if you really have to stay at sunset hotel dont stay in room 8 (next door to kitchen)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindenhurst, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband, son and I stayed at the Sunset for 2 nights. It was our first time in St. Barths and it was surprisingly very nice! Clean basic French hotel. Staff was very friendly and Mariam is a jewel! We plan to go again next spring and will stay here again! Great location directly across from the ferry. Hotel reserved our rental car so all we had to do was show up! I can't say enough nice things about this place! Breakfast was nice and the view beautiful!

PJ
Illinois

• Stayed June 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I just returned from 3 nights at the Sunset Hotel. I had read the reviews and wasn't expecting a resort, but did expect a clean hotel. The hotel has a sewer problem, it smells terrible in first floor foyer and second floor (owner burns incense to cover smell during the day), we could also smell in our rooms in the end of building (rooms 2, 9, and 10). The rooms were not very clean, wide cracks around doors for bugs to enter, no safe for valuables, sheets, towels, pillows, and bedding were very old and worn. Owner turns off A/C when you leave for the day so when you return from beach the room is HOT and takes 5 hours to cool, bathroom is not air conditioned. The TV is French only stations. Managed by owners, checkout is 10:30 sharp since owner cleans the rooms, she told us not to bring in sand and to not turn AC down. View of harbor is nice, it is hard to enjoy in summer months due to heat ...However its cooler than your room when you return for sunset since owner turns off AC. This hotel is only surviving due to all other hotels being much more expensive. I would not return to the sunset hotel... I agree with the review that states...If this is all you can afford, stay home or go to Florida.

• Stayed July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was my first time to St. Barth and I found this hotel to be so convenient. It is across the street from the ferry. It is in walking distance to shopping, restaurants, the beach. We had a room facing the water. It had a huge bathroom, the a/c worked well, and comfortable beds. We had an issue with our doorknob and management fixed it immediately. The staff was attentive. We had the breakfast on the terrace in the morning. On the day we were going to leave they let us lock up our bags so that we didn't have to carry them all day. Clean hotel and they had a rental car available. I would recommend and I will return in the future.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room towards the water.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
columbus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at the Sunset for one night's accomodation before our villa was available. Our superior room was on the harborside with balcony looking out over the Gustavia Harbor, you certainly can't beat that view for the price. Our room also had a small table and two chairs next to the door. Nice for happy hour and morning coffee. Your neighbors will also be using their's, so it's a chatty, fun environment. Room was fine. Big negative for me was the hand-held shower, no hook in the shower so it had to be held the entire time. Interesting "industial" type hair dryer. It's noisy here, it's on a busy street in Gustavia, so unless you are a deep sleeper be prepared to wake to the sound of whinning scooters. Overall, budget accomodations with a terrific view and location. If lack of privacy and noise are not issues with you, this would be fine for a longer stay. For me, it's a great place to hang for one or two nights and then move on to something else. Which reminds me, check out is 10:00am sharp!

Room Tip: Balcony overlooking the harbor, a little more, but worth it. Although inside room would be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Hotel? Share your experiences!