“November 2012 stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Carl Gustaf

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gustavia
Hotel Carl Gustaf
Rue des Normands | BP 700, Gustavia 97099, St Barthelemy   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Gustavia
Albany, New York
“November 2012 stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I made a solo trip last November , to the recently renovated Carl Gustaf. I have been to St. Barths at least once a year for the last 12 years. My husband and I had stayed one night at this hotel , 9 years ago for our 25th anniversary.
The rooms were brightly redecorated, with a small kitchen, stove, microwave. There was a minibar in the main room.....but I found that I missed having a refrigerator , especially staying for a full week. I decided to stay in one night a cook some pasta, and found the stove not working. They sent someone to check it....and said they needed an electrician to look at it in the am. Meanwhile, they offered to provide room service , on the house, with anything I wanted! I decided on a hamburger and frites ( and I am not a big meat eater), but I have to say it was the best I think I ever had!
The bedroom had a Hugh closet, and the bathroom was bright, good sized, and a wonderful glass/tile shower.
As the last reviewer noted, all room (suites) are on a hill, so plan on that, but St Barths itself is very hilly, so it didn't bother me.
Breakfast was included , and served every AM in the dining area, with the best view of St Barths harbor on the island. The staff was exceptional as was the lovely basket of croissants, breads and other delectables. Yogurt and fruit also , eggs were extra.
I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in Gustavia, easy walking to anywhere in town, and Shell Beach.The plunge pools are great, but as the last reviewer noted, an attraction to the Mosquitos. The spray provided is helpful, and they are usually only around at dawn and dusk.
Also the spa was awesome!!!!! The steam room with LED lights is fun, and the jacuzzi is Hugh, top notch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the lobby, if you don' t want to walk up and down so many steps.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Spent a 35th birthday here with my girlfriend. Decided to island hop for two days and one night from St Maarten, so booked a Winair flight over (very easy 10 minute flight, very interesting landing). Arrived at the Carl Gustaf about 1230pm, and was greeted warmly by the desk personnel who all spoke excellent English, and were expecting me by name (nice touch, but with a small number of suites, I suppose it's a small task to keep track of who is arriving and departing on a given day; regardless, was a nice touch, and indicative of the sort of attention to detail this hotel provides). Complimentary drinks (they make a delicious rum punch, and also pina colada) were provided for both of us while everything was explained to us, and the staff were happy to make both a dinner reservation at Le Gaiac and schedule a cab for us during this time. Storing the luggage was also not a problem and professionally handled. The hotel is located on top of a fairly steep hill, and the suites do involve going up and down some sets of stairs as well. They took my cell phone number to call when the room was available; this was around 230pm. (Do Brasil is an excellent beach bar/restaurant within an easy walk from the hotel; I might suggest you grab a drink there whilst you wait if need be.) The suite was impeccable once we got into it. The balcony is secluded, with an excellent view of Gustavia Harbor. There is a "plunge pool" in front of the two lounge chairs on the balcony, which is a four foot or so deep warm water pool big enough to hold three or four people standing up. (It also does draw mosquitoes. They do provide both a can of mosquito spray and an electric mosquito wand to deal with this.) The main room of the suite contained a low-sitting bed with rather firm mattress, his and hers closets behind the bed, a TV with DVD/CD player (no iPod/phone dock). They noted it was my birthday without having been told (likely from my passport, I would think) and provided a bottle of decent champagne and two dessert brownies, a very nice touch. The mini bar was well appointed. Bathroom with two sinks with LED lights on the faucets, spa products available for sale from the "cosmetic fridge", provided his and hers toiletry kits, and an excellent shower with multi directional flow control. The cocktails in the Sunset Lounge provided an extraordinary view of the Harbor. A driver was provided to shuttle us back to the airport the next day. Please do note, this property uses European-style power plugs, so if you're coming from US/Canada, bring your adapter! Breakfast also was provided in your suite.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Delmar, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Living in NY we decided rather late for a week's holiday in St-Barth at the end of January.
From our first phone contact with Mss Julie, reservation manager, until the end of our holiday we were treated by the courteous and discreet staff as "special guests".
The 1 bedroom- suite with carefully studied details had an unbeatable harbour view. A few minutes walk to Shell beach as well as an excellent Carita massage added to our stay and wanting us to come back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

My wife, 14 month old baby and I stayed 5 nights at the Carl Gustaf. We were afraid it might be difficult because it's on a hill and there are steps to get anywhere. Instead, everything was easy because the staff was so lovely - from the manager, Alex, who came to pick us up, to the front desk staff (especially Albane), to the charming restaurant staff. All made us feel very welcome and were incredibly helpful in every respect, particularly with the baby, who they fawned over. We loved the location in Gustavia as it was both a short walk into town, a nice place to stroll in the evening, looking at the boutiques and getting a drink by the harbor, and five minutes to Shell Beach which we ended up liking far more than we thought we would. The Do- Brazil restaurant there is a hoot, and the crowd is a lot of fun. I also have to mention their Spa, where I received some of the best treatments I have ever had in a spa - ask for Jessie - her massage, facial and foot reflexology were truly special (we went on a spa package in which my wife and I had treatments included - well worth it!). A bientot, Carl Gustaf... We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

went for a week, Spring Break with family. great location near town and water; from the moment we were picked up at the airport to the moment we were dropped off, fantastic quality. Friendly and attentive service- they booked all our dinner reservations and daytime activies-all were fantastic. The view from the room cottage was breathtaking, the amenities were flawless- I-Pod doc, flat screen tv, champagne waiting for us upon arrival. no complaints. pricey, but that is expected at any hotel in St. Barth; would go again in an instant

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Great location, design and restaurant. What more could you ask for in a Hotel stay?!?!?!?

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

We spent 8 nights at the Carl Gustaf for our Honeymoon and that stay totally exceeded our expectation. Living in NY we are used to a service in French Hotels that can be highly variable and sometimes can be a disaster as they make you feel like the employee and not the customer- I am actuallly French, so I know what I'm talking about.
Carl Gustav is actually the contrary, the staff is amazing and everybody is trying hard to make you think you are in Paradise. Honnestly this level of service can only be seen in
Asia, from the buzz boy to the Concierge. Little attentions all day long, each time they see you from the breakfast (Excellent & in you room) to late at night.
The place in itself is beautifull as it's overlooking Gustavia's harbour and enjoys the best sunset of the island.
Suites have their private swimming pools, but honnestly traveling to St-Barth to stay in the swimming pool is not my style as the beaches around the island are just unbelievable.
You can actually walk 5 minutes from the hotel to be in the village (Where St-Barth is happening) or on a pretty beach called Shell beach.
The Spa is great, operated by Carita with a serious range of massages and other treatments.
We spent some time at other hotels and even though some others like Eden Rock or Guan hani are sitting on the beach, we were much happier at Carl Gustav, for the size of the rooms, the service and obviously the dramtic view.
therefore we will highly refer this hotel to anybody going to St-Barth.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Carl Gustaf? Share your experiences!