“Exceeded Expectations- Awesome Romantic Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Troy Hill Dr., The Bottom, Saba   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Bottom
Certificate of Excellence 2014
mrbodywork
“Exceeded Expectations- Awesome Romantic Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

Let me start by saying what a fantastic vacation we had on Saba. Our experience exceeded my expectations. This was the perfect island getaway!

Eddie our cab driver and tour guide picked us up at the airport and brought us to the resort. We arrived and were greeted by the Hotel Managers Claire and Hidde who offered up refreshing cool towels and a glass of fresh island juice. After some orientation and pleasantries they then lead us to our unit.

Our hotel room, actually a suite, was fantastic. Stunning views across the valley out to the ocean and wonderful island and Bali style furnishings. The suite was larger than our home in Key West. A large sitting room held a couch facing sliding glass doors. We opened these on our arrival and did not close them til we left. This will tell you two things. First there is no air conditioning in the unit, and none was needed. The breeze was welcoming and the humidity low. A ceiling fan provided all the cooling needed while we comfortably slept. The second thing is no bugs! Saba is blessed with constant breezes so no mosquitoes or biting insects.

Adjacent to the living room is a large office desk. There Is Wi-Fi on the property for the mandatory checks back to the real world. The suite had a flat screen television which I can’t say worked or not because duing our 5 day stay we never turned it on once! Leading up from the living room was a ships ladder that revealed an upper room with a day bed and lots of light for reading.

Next to the sitting room, overlooking the valley was perhaps my favorite feature of the suite, a Jacuzzi hot tub. I made use the this every night and even my wife who isn’t a fan of hot tubs enjoyed a soak after our hike to the top of Mt Scenery. There is something magical about floating in water, glass of wine and enjoying great company and an awesome view.

Our bedroom was inspiring. Our king, 4 post bed was comfortable and spacious. The tile floor was cool in the morning. We were celebrating our 15th anniversary and I had asked to have some tropical flowers waiting for us inside. Claire had let me know in advance that there was no florist on the island but could have some shipped in from St Maarten. I said not to worry, if there were some local flowers great , if not, we were fine. Claire went out that morning and cut a beautiful arrangement of ginger, Birds of Paradise and local orchids. They looked great and greeted us every morning with color and tropical scents. They also gathered up red bougainvillea petals and laid a path across the floor up onto the bed. (nice touch).

The bathroom was functional and the shower had a multi-head spray that took a little figuring out. The grounds are well manicured as befitting a resort named the Queen’s Garden. The pool was refreshing and provided relief from the sun while we tried to tan.

The employees at the resort are first rate. We have traveled a bit and rarely have we found a top to bottom staff as friendly or as welcoming as the crew at the Queen’s Garden. Hidde and Claire, the managers, anticipate your needs and are true hospitality professionals. We felt like guests in their home not customers at a resort. Bastian the restaurant manager goes out of his way to create a romantic feel in the restaurant. The dining room had a Holiday decorated Douglas fir that smelled wonderful and reminded us of the Holidays back in New England. Dining is available both inside and out and we took advantage of both. Our two diners at the resort were creative and delicious. Our final night we had a romantic six course meal outside under their garden arbor. Breakfasts we ordered and enjoyed in our room , taking in the view. Room service was always prompt. While we laid out by the pool we were offered cool towels, frequent cocktail service and one afternoon complimentary homemade ice cream! Lunch was also served pool side.

This was the perfect island getaway. The hotel is a bit out of the way but that is part of the charm. Total cost for the 5 days of cab rides was 200 including tips. The same price for renting a car without any of the hassles. The cabs were always pleasant and punctuial. I whole heartedly recommend this resort!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Kingston NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Wonderful, kind attentive service from an international staff who are truely gracious and professional. Even someone who has not traveled much would feel at home here. The grounds and pool area are beautiful and the mountainside location overlooking the mountains and sea with the town below are outstanding. The staff will arrange snorkling or scuba trips, dinner or lunch reservations their their restaurant or others(Ecolodge and Tropics Cafe also very good) and call taxis for you.

The suites are huge and internet service in the room is free and consistent. Just bring your laptop to use in the suite or down in the sybaritic lounge area while have one of their Saban Blue cocktails (actually green)....You will know what is going on in the outside world but will not care.

Rooms on occasion could have been a touch cleaner (coffee maker at times not cleaned out) but the rooms and view are wonderful and refreshing breezes blowing through most of the time. The hot tub in the suite was a nice touch but at times not hot enough, even with leaving the heater on for a couple hours ahead of time. No need for air conditioning, the climate is breezy and pleasant even in the middle of summer.

Beware of visiting during Carnival time (last week in July) as the sound travels up from town (the Bottom) and you will be hearing loud music during the afternoons and evenings sometimes as late as 2:00AM. However,The parade in town is fun and worth seeing on Saturday of carnival week Unless you want a party atmosphere the rest of the time though, I would advise visiting during a different week.

Saba is great for those that want something different, who love hiking (some well marked trails start right from the hotel) scuba and snorkling as well as relaxing and eating wonderful food. I have never eaten better food anywhere. The chef at Queens Garden is really talented. I am still fantsizing about the Fruit de Mer (Scallops shrimp, red snapper) and the sticky milk pie with passionfruit sorbet. Don't be afraid to spend money here. It will be worth it.

When we regretfully left we felt like we were leaving friends. A very special experience. If you are looking for romance and kind service, this is it.

We picked this for our 25th wedding anniversary and it was a great choice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

My husband and I visited Saba for our 20th anniversary and chose the Queen's Garden resort because the reviews in Tripadvisor were good, because the rooms look updated and attractive, and because there were hot tubs in the rooms with beautiful views. We were not disappointed in any way. Our room was comfortable, attractive, clean. The hot tub isn't a chlorinated hot tub - it's really a whirlpool bathtub, which we liked very much. I think my husband was in heaving getting to sit in a tub with a view of mountains and the Caribbean while at the same time watching Fox News. The pool was clean and the lounge area was a nice gathering place. The food in the restaurant was delicious. All of the staff were lovely, friendly, and helpful. It's a small staff, two managers and two or three young staffers (interns from Holland) who did the restaurant service, the pool bar service, and were generally around the hotel whenever you needed them, so they got to know us and our needs.

We had the Adventure Package, which was perfect for us. The manager arranged all of our activities for us. We had a guided hike with Jungle Jim which I highly recommend (we are experienced hikers, so we went on the North Coast Trail), we went snorkling with Saba Deep (along with some folks who were diving, which was fine), we had a taxi tour of the island with Eddy, we had a 4 course dinner at the restaurant (delicious), a cooking class with the chef (very fun, very casual and the food he cooked was enough for our dinner), and the package included breakfast every day (we upgraded to a bigger breakfast and it was yummy). We enjoyed this package very much as it was a bit of activity every day, leaving plenty of time for relaxing afterward.

We had plenty of water bottles given to us each day (extra for hiking when we asked). We did stop at a grocery in Windwardside for sodas/beer/wine and put those in our fridge in the room. They have a computer with internet access that you can use, and DVDs to borrow. Our neighbors also called the hotel and had a bottle of wine gifted to us, and the staff handled that well also.

Just some things to note: There is no air conditioning. You really don't need it, but you will need to keep the windows open, which means it's a bit less private sometimes that you might want. It also means that it's a bit humid, and nothing dries (which explains why there's no carpet in any of the hotels). None of our sweaty hiking clothes dried at all - our laundry smelled lovely when we got home. Also, there isn't a sewage system on the island, so everyone is on a septic tank and generally you cannot flush anything (including your used toilet paper - they give you bags and a trash can). It's not a big deal, it just surprised us. One day, for some unknown reason, our room wasn't cleaned. It wasn't a big deal to us, we got clean towels, and I know if we had asked it would have been cleaned immediately. And finally, the only drawback to the Queen's Garden is that it's in The Bottom and all the restaurants are in Windwardside. It's a $12 taxi ride each way, so just be prepared for that. Don't let any of those things keep you from staying at the Queen's Garden!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Why go to Saba? We are no divers and no hikers. Winter in The Netherlands is cold and wet. We have busy lives and we were looking for blue skies, warm weather and a quiet, shady place around a pool. Queen's Gardens is the perfect spot for that. We finally had time to read the books and magazines. The wireless internet allowed us to stay in touch with our businesses but after a couple of days the mails became background noise.

In Queen's gardens you don't have a room; what you get is a large apartment with a beautiful view but at the same time lots of privacy. The staff is very friendly; the kitchen is excellent.

Saba is a small island with only 1750 people (including 350 students at a medical school). There is one road that connects The Bottom, Winward and the airport. Buildings have a typical Saba style: white walls, red roof. Saba has no shopping malls, no movie theaters, no night clubs, no casino's, no..... Thank God; Saba is a quiet place. But there are things going on; taxi driver Eddy can tell you about everyone and everything.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

I spent a relaxing weekend in Saba in January '09 (solo female traveler).

GETTING THERE: I flew Continental from Newark to St. Maarten, then took Winair to Saba. Besides the long layover each way (3 to 4 hours), the flights themselves were non-eventful.

ROOM: I was in the Queen's Suite with great views of The Bottom, the largest settlement in Saba. The suite is quite spacious, with a living and dining area, a bedroom and a jacuzzi (the jacuzzi needs to be on for about an hour and a half before it gets hot). The bathroom has a shower but no tub. There's a mini-fridge with complimentary bottled water (drinking tap water is not recommended). There's a flat-screen TV and a home theater system with iPod dock in the living room. If you're not an early riser, you may have a huge problem with the roosters. There are lots of them and they get going around 4:30am-5am. The entire hotel staff was really nice.

FOOD: The food at the resort was good. I ate all my breakfast and lunches there and had dinner there twice. On one night, I had dinner at the Gate House restaurant. My lobster with curry sauce was very good.

ACTIVITIES: I toured the island. It is very pretty and the people are really nice. The roads are narrow, curvy and you're either going up or down, always! I hiked Mt. Scenery and for this non-hiker, it was tough! There's an entrance to the trail right by the resort. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to get to the top. I recommend wearing the proper shoes and using a hiking stick (some areas of the trail are slippery). I snorkeled with Sea Saba (I'm not a diver). We went to Tent Reef which was a little too deep for a good snorkel. So that was disappointing. I was worried the water would be cold but it was fine. I stopped at Jo Bean's Glass and bought a pretty glass starfish. I also booked a 50-minute massage with the resort. There's no spa there but the resort will bring Sally of Saba Day Spa to your room. She is wonderful. I was so relaxed and drowsy by the time she was done!

MISC: The weather was great at about 80 degrees. The nights were a little cool. The U.S. dollar and major credit cards are accepted. The current is the same as in the U.S. There's no sewer system, so paper items do not go in the toilet! My favorite part though: there are no mosquitoes!

FINAL THOUGHTS: I loved my time in Saba. The island is everything I thought it would be and more. It's unique, quaint, pretty, quiet, safe and filled with truly friendly people. I can't recommend Saba enough for anyone looking for a different island experience.

• Liked — The views
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

Stayed in the Queens Gardens Resort as part of a Caribean Island tour with my girlfriend and loved every second of it.

The hotel staff is very personal and the Rooms very luxurious.

We booked a room with a private Jacuzzi which was an absolute asset to us. Sitting in ' our ' Jacuzzi overlooking the sea, ordering nice bottles of wine, we felt amazing...

Rooms are very clean and the food is absolutely great!

Would love to go back soon...

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Can't come up with something...
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Loenen a/d Vecht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2008

What a wonderful place to spend your honeymoon!

After spending 7 days on the french part of St. Martin we flew to Saba (great experience btw) as part of our Caribbean Island tour!

This was our first visit to Saba and hopefully not our last! We were surprised by what we saw. Saba can't be compared with any other Island in the Caribbean. It is so quiet, clean and peaceful and so different (clean) from the rest.

Our second surprise was the Queens Gardens Resort were we stayed for 7 days. What a great personal service, we almost felt like royalty! No wonder our Queen stays here sometimes...

The food in this hotel is in one word excellent (our favorite was the lobster soup). The rooms are big and clean (with a breathtaking view) and sitting in our private jacuzzi overlooking the Caribbean sea we felt so extremely lucky!!

We would love to go here every year!

Although the Island is far from big there are many things to do... We really enjoyed our hike to the top of the Mount Scenery and the one hour walk was absolutely worth the view. From here you can even see St. Barts & St. Martin. Unfortunately we did not have time to dive... a good reason to go back! :-D

• Liked — The breathtaking view + the restaurant
  • Disliked — That I had to leave it after 7 days...
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Queen's Gardens Resort - Hampshire Classic? Share your experiences!