“Don't really want to write a review....” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Troy Hill Dr., The Bottom, Saba   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Bottom
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
“Don't really want to write a review....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Prior to travelling my husband and I check trip advisor to aid in making a decision about our hotel choice. I hesitate to write a review about Queens Garden resort and the family of Claire, Hidde, Willim and Max because,,,,well, we want to keep them a secret and not share! We have just returned from our second trip to the beautiful island of Saba and a stay at the Queens Garden Resort. The minute we landed in Saba we felt right at home. Our stay was great, too short and better then the first. There really is not much more we can say that has not already been said in previous advisors. We look forward to our next visit in August! Who knows from there???

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
chicago il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I are avid SCUBA divers, and love to find non-touristy places to vacation in the Caribbean - the farther from where a cruise ship would dare to dock the better!!!! That said- we are also self-admitted cake-eaters on vacation and don't like to slum it with our hotels... - so when I found Saba and the Queen's Garden Resort I was in heaven. A great mix of local charm, outdoor activities, phenominal diving and great people... I almost hate to tell anyone about it for fear it will be ruined!

We spent the first part of this trip on Anguilla at The Viceroy. I have reviewed that resort as well - but note that different people have different priorities for a vacation. While I loved the Viceroy, it was almost too over the top - I found myself feeling a bit guilty about the sheer glutonous way I was acting while I was there and we barely left our gorgous room/patio because it was just too nice to leave. But a pool sized bathtub on an island that desalinizes most of its water? That's just crazy. My eco-friendly alter-ego was groaning the entire time we were there. Saba and Queen's Garden were definitely more our speed... let me try and explain why...

We loved everything about Saba - and much of that was because of the wonderful staff at Queen's Garden Resort. We LOVE out of the way places and small intimate hotels that offer a ton of local flavor - this is exactly the atmosphere at QGR. The view from the room was stunning (huge open air picture window in the sitting room) - we slept every night with tree frogs singing us a lullaby - even the rain in the trees was soothing on the evenings that the weather wasn't perfect. We never turned on the air conditioning. The bed was very comfortable, and the meals in the restaurant were divine. We started with a south asian feast in their "treehouse" the first night, and ended with bananas foster tableside on our last. The staff could not have been nicer - anything we could want was immediately tended to whether it be a taxi to the dive shop, recommendation for a hike, a cocktail by the pool or excellent service in the restaurant.

At a hotel with only a handful of rooms you get to know people. We had a cocktail at the bar with the hotel manager and her adorable dogs, we chatted with the waiter about his time both on the island and at home in Europe, we chatted with the pastry chef (a Chicago native!) about her experience as an expat... it was great. Are you not able to flush your toilet paper, and is the water pressure in the tiny shower a little weak - yes. Do I care? NO. The island gets most of its fresh water from rain - am I respectful of that? YES. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that we ended every day with a cocktail in our own private jacuzzi - also with a phenominal view so the fact that there wasn't a tub in the bathroom didn't bother me.

And I know this is a review of the hotel - but let me just state again that the SCUBA in Saba is bar none the best we've done in the Caribbean including Roatan and Belize.

The one negative thing I will say about Saba, is that getting to and from this island is not for the weak of heart or stomach. We flew in (to the smallest commercial landing strip in the world) - which was easy, but I guess flights can be canceled a lot because if the wind isn't just right the pilots can't risk it... and we left via ferry which was quite honestly 2 of the roughest hours of my life back to St Martin. I barely kept it together. When the captain is handing out vomit bags before we even leave port I start to worry. At the end of the day, this is probably partially what keeps the island less crowded so it won't deter me from going back!

So if you like giant mega-resorts (where you never leave the resort and lay on a beach chair all day sipping drinks) with 5 pools and restaurants and tons of bells and whistles, you might be dissappointed by what Saba calls a 5* resort - in my mind this place is WAY better than those monstrous hotels that suck all the local charm out of more commercialized Caribbean locations. This is for the traveler who loves places like Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, St John, Roatan. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have to say, we got more than we bargain for at the Queens Garden. First off, I must commend the owners, Claire and her husband, Hidda, for their impeccable staff. There is not a moment when your needs are not attended to. And it all starts with Claire. From the moment you arrive, she is there to open your taxi door (and every time you arrive, too!). Suggestions for dinner, adventures, massages, she is one step ahead of you. It was so much appreciated. Her staff is equally attentive. I really felt like I was their main concern for the whole week.
The rooms are lovely, with the view being the highlight. My only comment would be that the furniture needs some updating. The couch was a little worn and the 4 poster bed a little nicked up. For a high end resort, they could have use some more luxurious bedding, but this is being nit picky. A word of warning about sleep. Saba is quiet during the day and like Grand Central Station at night. All the animals come out to talk to each other, birds, frogs, it's a constant cacophony. SO , if you're a sensitive sleeper, bring ear plugs!! And then there are the ROOSTERS! One would start to crow at around 3:30 am and then it would wake the whole lot of them up. THey's quiet down, then it would start up again. So, again, bring earplugs!
The food was very good. I wouldn't say spectacular, but very good. The included breakfast was great for getting us ready for our diving days. We usually ate lunch out at the dive shop ( Saba Deep, see my review of them there). And dinners were done very well. I have to say, I wish they had a smaller, more pub style menu to go along with their regular menu. Dinner was always over $100, and I'm not complaining about the price, we were at a resort, after all, but I don't always want a big complex dinner every night. That goes for most of Saba. Maybe we just didn't look hard enough for simpler food.
All in all, it was a great week on this very interesting Island. Be prepared to spend $30 round trip on taxis no matter where you go. You really can't walk anywhere. And renting a car would be frightening due to the severe road conditions. You really gotta know what you're doing on them. The rain forest trails are challenging but doable. The diving is SPECTACULAR and not to be missed. Saba Deep Divers is a great operation and I highly recommend them. But don't go to Saba expecting beach resorts and long walks. You have to want to go to this island. But it is well worth the effort.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in a superior room with the hot tub and the amazing views. But all rooms have the vi...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Coming to Saba is an exhilarating experience in itself; the tiny airplanes coming from St. Martin have to land on a landingstrip with a length of around 1000ft long, and ending in a cliff of rocks and sea 200ft below. The airplanes can only be flown by a few of the most seasoned pilots in the world. Yet, for the islanders, its just like a busride.
No rollercoaster can beat the thrill of that first ride to the hotel, located around the third mountain, going up and down almost vertical hills (some up to 80 degrees).
The arrival at the top of the steepest road on Saba and above the little town called 'The Bottom' can only be described as a happy, heartwarming and earnst welcome by the entire staff including the owners themselves 'Hidde and Claire Verbeke'. They give you an Introduction to the island, the hotel and of course your personal suite (with insane views from your private jacuzzi). Accompanied by a tropical cocktail, you feel like you're the only person on the island.
There is a vast assortiment of delicacies on the breakfast, lunch and dinner menus, with the 2-4lb fresh Saban Lobster (swimming in an onsite tank) pearling on top of the list. Everything is cooked to your liking, and as the staff takes great care in getting to know you and your personal tastes and needs, you relax in comfort knowing you are in great hands.
Queen's Gardens is without a doubt the most beautiful and relaxing place we have ever been to, and we will definetly become regular guests. Its a wonderful feeling to stay in a place where you can find privacy and relax, but are welcomed into a new family. With theme-nights or parties on a regular basis, sometimes with high quality live music, and a range of fantastic dives, hikes and historical sites, there's never a dull moment to be had.

Queen's Gardens has our blessing and thanks. It was the most amazing honeymoon we could have wished for, and we recommend it to anyone looking for Paradise. Everyone should be treated like royalty once in a while!

• Stayed March 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I came to Saba for some R&R and also to dive. From the moment we arrived we felt extremely well taken care of. We were greeted by Claire, the owner and given two yummy fresh fruit drinks and some cool towels. She was more than happy to help plan dinners at other restaurants and arrange transport. Everyone who works there is super friendly, helpful and attentive. They treat you like family (or better, depending on your family). To give one example, whilst sitting poolside the second day we were there, we were surprised with bowls of ice cream - thoughtful and very appreciated. Both Clair and her husband are happy to try and accommodate your needs. They are a young, hip, Dutch couple who were originally the managers and bought the place last summer. They have a great attention to detail, and are very committed to making the resort top notch (without the attitude).

The views are unbelievable and the restaurant is fantastic. The rooms are big and very airy - lots of big windows that you can open and get a lovely breeze from. There is a big sitting area by the outdoor bar to lounge on and enjoy the view with a cocktail. There is a hiking trail at the end of the driveway that allows you to do multiple different hikes. You can also hike to the Windwardside where the restaurants and shops are located. It's a pretty steep hike so it's not for someone who isn't up for a good workout.

The only "down side" is that the resort is on the other side of the town. It costs about $15 one way to get into town. It's not a problem to get a cab, it's just a little costly. Also, as with any remote island things are a little price - everything has to be flown in and taxed. The food at any good restaurant on the island ain't cheap. However if you are up for BBQ and more casual fair there are a couple of places on the Windwardside.

We met some people who were staying at one of the more popular dive hotels on the Windwardside and I must say, we were very pleased we didn't stay there. It was not very nice.

If we ever go back to Saba we will definitely be staying at Queens Garden Resort.

Room Tip: All the rooms have amazing views. I would go for the superior suite with the hot/cold tub.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was the most relaxing stay I've ever had at a hotel. The staff is extremely accommodating and friendly and the location is breathtaking. We felt as if we were the only guests there, the way were were attended to. It's difficult not to relax in such a beautiful area. The room was outstanding, with views over the town (The Bottom) below as well as the ocean beyond.

Perhaps the best part of the experience though was the dining. We were surprised by an invitation to dine in the "tree house" on our first evening and it did not disappoint. The food was spectacular, perhaps enhanced by the incredible setting and service.

Between the pool, the hiking, and diving/snorkeling opportunities, Saba is truly a hidden paradise where I could easily spend a full week, unfortunately we only had 3 nights. The weather was great though, and the hotel helped arrange a snorkeling trip for us on our 2nd day.

I would come back here in a heartbeat. I would highly recommend flying to Saba from St. Martin rather than taking the ferry though! We experienced both (ferry on the way, and flight back) and the prices were comparable when we booked, however the flight was infinitely more comfortable (12 min fun, smooth flight vs 2 hour very wavy open sea boat ride in an over crowded ferry).

Thank you to the Queen's Garden staff for such an unforgettable experience!!

London, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at this resort with a large group of scuba divers, and we all really enjoyed it. The room my husband & I shared was enormous, with a jacuzzi that opened up on a spectacular view.
The service was really good, and we never lacked a beverage or towel! The hostess/owner, Claire met us every morning, and made sure we had everything we needed, and that everyone who was diving was on the taxi that took us down to the harbour. She organized dinners for us, even when we wanted to go out to another restaurant! Very accommodating.
The only thing that turned some people off was that Saba does not have alot of water, and they asked that we not flush paper down the toilet. I didn't mind terribly, it is not unlike being on a boat.
Across the street from the resort was the start of a wonderful mountain trail - that lead up into the rain forest. Saba is a really unique and beautiful place. And if you want a luxurious resort - Queen's Garden Resort is for you!

Room Tip: We loved room 7! But they are all similar.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Queen's Gardens Resort - Hampshire Classic? Share your experiences!