“Just okay and overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 20 Restaurants in Montserrat
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Calgary, Alberta
“Just okay and overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The food seemed microwaved - the vegetables were overcooked, the seafood and meat dishes were bland and the rice was just okay. There wasn't anything wrong with the food but it was definitely mediocre and quite pricey for the quality. Many of the small, local restaurants provide more flavourful food at prices more in line with the food quality and I'd recommend seeking those out.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Terrific service and delicious food at a very reasonable price. There were iguanas and chickens in the yard and I had the best cappuccino I have had in a long time.

Visited August 2012
tellygoonuk
“Friendly and relaxed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Good food served in a very relaxed setting. The owner, Marite, is always welcoming and made us feel like we had been regular customers for years.

We ate here a few times for lunch and dinner and were never disappointed.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stamford, Connecticut
“Our favorite restaurant on Montserrat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

After the first few days on Montserrat, I was growing increasingly skeptical at my ability to survive on "Chicken, Ribs or Fish" for an entire week. After doing some quick research on TripAdvisor I found Gourmet Gardens, and I was redeemed. We ended up eating here three more times on a one week visit, and brought friends too.

Firstly the place is spotlessly clean. I have a bit of a phobia with insects and pests, and am always nervous about eating in semi-outdoor restaurants. As we pulled up into the parking lot, I almost turned away! But we did not, and as we sat down, we could see this place was spotlessly clean and it showed that they take pride in keeping it that way.

Firstly, the service - we were greeted by Mariet, the chef and owner - a wonderful lady. We knew right away that we were in for a treat. She knew her menu and ingredients, and assisted us in choosing.

The menu was a complete relief to the "Chicken, Ribs or Fish" that we had become accustomed to on the island. The menu more resembled that of a continental restaurant. I do not recall all the meals I had, but I do remember the Schnitzel and Goulash both being excellent. (See Photos)

One night while eating there, the power went out. I was expecting this to be a problem, but it was not. The candles were already lit, the cooking appliances were gas operated, after switching a few of the kitchen lights to candles, they were back in business. The food that night was as good as any other.

I do remember the prices being a tad steep, but I think they were in line with the rest of the island. Food on Montserrat is not cheap. Some of the other places were significantly more.

We also ate at the Peoples Place, the Olveston House, Tina's, and Ponts Beach View. How the Gourmet Gardens is not the #1 on the island, I do not know....The fact that we ate here 4 nights out of a 9 night stay should say something!

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Real nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Nice meal cooked by a Dutch lady. friendly service and good prices. The atmosphere is nice out on the veranda and the beer is cold. Open for lunch and dinner

Visited October 2012