“Great location; helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Trois-Ilets
Calgary
“Great location; helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

On-line booking was smooth. Adding in the airport pick-up and drop-off was a good choice. The hotel's location is super with easy access to beach, car rental, resturants, marina and the ferry to FDF. The staff were excellent and as a uni-lingual anglophone they made my wife and I feel welcomed with one exception. The manager's cocktail party (free rum punch) included entertainment (a singer) with an MC which was all in french. A 'door prize' draw called room numbers in full-speed french (i.e. 430 not 4-3-0) and by the time it sank in that we had won something the MC had moved on the pulling another room number ... oh well; one of the costs of not being bilingual. While we did not have many conversations in Martinique, our lack of french did not really hamper our enjoyment of the hotel or the island.
We had a room with kitchenette ... not for gourmet dining but a cost saver. It achieved that but lacked some of the basics that we have gotten in most kitchenettes. For example, no microwave, no toaster and no ice bucket and no kettle (there was a specialized coffee machine but as non-coffee drinkers that did not do any good). It did have two burners, a pot and a frying pan (that were too big to both be on the burners at the same time) but it lacked a pot spoon or a spatchula. My wife and I had to share one bowl but otherwise made do with the rest of the supplies.
We did not use all of the amenities (e.g. pool, gift shop, resturant) but the pool did look inviting if we had time. We did rent a car and do recommend that others do this to see the island, but do warn everyone that automatics are scarce so book ahead and do expect difficult, but not impossible parking at the hotel.
TV was mounted on a wall in a poor location so that it was behind one of the bed posts. We did not watch it much as there were no english channels ... first time anywhere that has been the case and I've travelled all over the world in non-english speaking countries. All things considered, a bit pricy but we enjoyed our stay and would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Specify a kitchenette if that is important to you. The same goes for a pool view as was a garden/rec...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at that hotel for a full week in Demi-pension (breakfast, supper included). It is located about 500 meters from a few small beaches - across the bay from Fort-de-France. The water is warm and not to deep - perfect for families. There are a few shops and restaurants steps away from the hotel if you do not want to rent a car.

Rooms are large and very clean. Staff is very nice and eager to please. Chef David had just come back from a 2-year internship with a Quebec chef in Laurentides and was quite pleased to welcome Quebecers. He made a point of checking in with us every night. His meals were all excellent and well presented.

We would definitely go back again!

Room Tip: All rooms are being upgraded. We had one with a small kitchenette. We liked it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Laetitia B, Responsable réception at Hotel La Pagerie, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor, it's really important for us to have your feedback.
Let us know when you come back in Martinique, we would be very glad to see you.

Best Regards,

Mpls, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here for two nights during a layover. The rooms are clean, the staff speak english, and there are quite a few restaurants within walking distance. There is a decent little beach about a half mile away. The pool is nice and there is a swim-up bar.

I didn't rent a car, and it probably would have been cheaper than taking a taxi to and from the airport. You can find parking a few blocks away.

It seemed as though quite a few French families go to the area for 1-2 week vacations - which account for all of the restaurants nearby. Not sure I'd want to do that, but for a few nights in Martinique, this place fit the bill.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Modling, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I would adjust my rating to 3,5 if possible. So I had no problems, it is a nice clean hotel. There are friendly people, there is a pool and shops nearby.

I have been there for ' nights, and everyday I was happy to have a car.
From the first minute ! Definetly rent a car, since airport transfer and all activities require a vehicle. If you are not a lazy american, and do not expect one of 7 parking lots in front of the door, there is a huge parking area just 2 minutes away.

I choose the place as low budget hotel, and therefore no compaints about all missing luxery. Thats OK for the price, since I was happy there was all I need (bed, bath, WLAN)

The down side of the hotel is the location, since I do not know, what kind of holiday you like to enjoy right there, if not boot trips you can book nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sir,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your nice comment on Hotel La Pagerie.
I hope that you had a great time with us. Maybe next time, we'll have the pleasure to welcome you with friends or family.

Best regards,

Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel is in a great location with lots of places to eat. It is only 20 minute drive from airport with no traffic, but be aware it is 1 hour or more with traffic -- even around 6am!
The room itself was very clean and had no bugs (rare for the Caribbean it seems -- so this is a big plus).
It was decorated very nicely -- simple but modern. The room had a fridge.
A few issues, though:
I left the Do Not Disturb sign out for the day, yet they still went into the room and cleaned it.
There is limited parking for the hotel.
The TV only gets French channels.
The biggest issue I had was with the internet -- the first of my two nights, it simply did not work. At first, the desk worker didn't believe me, but eventually he realized it was hotel wide. The hotel would not do anything for me to "make it right" (for example, I suggested that he let me make a quick call that the hotel would pay for to let people know I was okay -- but he would not cover it, even though my rate included internet, which wasn't working). The desk worker also absolutely refused to call the internet company to try to get it fixed, or even to reset the network. Basically no customer service on this issue at all...
Stay here for the location / rate / clean room. But NOT for the service or the wifi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Fairbanks, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed twice during our trip to Martinique at Hotel la Pagerie and have many good things to say about our stay, yet a few things that were concerning. First, the good things...
Upon arrival, the people at the front desk were incredibly nice, despite my shaky French. They were very busy when we arrived, yet managed to get us a room for one night. Without ever looking at information about the hotel in advance, we were not sure what to expect. Our room was very nice, especially for the price that we were paying (off-season rates). The room looked extremely clean and was well-decorated. The furniture was especially beautiful - it looked as if some of the wooden furniture was handmade. We enjoyed the shopping in the area as well as the proximity to many nice restaurants. We ended up staying for three nights during our first stay because we enjoyed it so much. During our second stay, we arrived to a room that did not have working air conditioning - however the staff worked quickly and politely (despite my lack of French vocabulary to communicate the technical issues we were having) and placed us in a different room right away.
The few downsides to the hotel were the parking and the rudeness of one staff member. Parking is, at times, extremely difficult to find on the streets that border the hotel. One night we could find no parking except for a spot that was reserved for taxis only. It appeared that many other cars (that were certainly not taxis) were parked in those spots, so we parked there and walked to the hotel. Upon arriving, I asked one of the staff members about whether or not we should try to move the car before morning. Coming from the United States, it had begun to appear that when it came to driving and parking there were not many laws (or if there were, they were not enforced). So, I did not know if leaving a car in a spot for taxis would truly be a problem. At first we spoke French and I asked if I should move our car. He asked where it was parked, so we walked to the entrance and I pointed towards where we parked. He said it would be better if I moved the car closer to the hotel. I nodded and said yes, OK. He looked at me and said "You don't understand?" I said that I do understand. He looked at me and then got frustrated and stated emphatically "No, you don't understand." So then, in English, I repeated back what he had advised in French to try to confirm that, yes, I understand. That was the first unfriendly encounter with him that we had. The night before our second stay at the hotel, we were trying to find a restaurant that was open (many of them seemed to be closed on Tuesday), so finally we decided to try the hotel restaurant for the first time as well as book our second stay. The woman at the front counter was extremely nice and recognized us from our first (recent) stay. She called the restaurant and asked if they could accommodate us, which they said they could. Once we got to the restaurant, the same man I had spoken with concerning our car was there. He did not seem very happy to see us. We noticed that very few people were at the restaurant and began to wonder if they were closing soon (it was 8:45 pm). Throughout our stay on the island at that point, no restaurant seemed to be serving dinner until at least 7, if not 8 pm - so we would not have guessed that the restaurant would be almost closing. The same (very unhappy) man took our order right away - we got three drinks including water, two appetizers, two entrees, and we ordered dessert all at the same time. He never brought us our water, did not ask how I wanted my steak cooked, did not bring a steak knife (leaving only a butter knife), hurriedly asked if I was done with my dinner when I was not quite halfway through, and brought a liquid with mushy bananas that at one point was ice cream for my boyfriend for dessert. Thankfully he charged much less for our dinners than it seemed like a normal dinner there was supposed to cost, however we both were left questioning what we did to make the man so angry. In spite of it all, we had been so hungry by the time we got there and appreciated them serving us even though it looked as though they had intended to close at 9 that I asked the man for some paper and a pen and wrote a note thanking them for serving us even though it was late. So in terms of service, we had a mix of excellent service from everyone else to absolutely rude and horrible service from one of their staff members.
I would come back to this hotel again, however I would not eat at the restaurant except at breakfast time. I would recommend this hotel for those looking for proximity to restaurants, very clean and reasonably priced accommodations, and (mostly) very friendly people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Laetitia B, Responsable réception at Hotel La Pagerie, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Madame, Dear Sir,

First of all, I want to thank you for this nice comment about hotel La Pagerie, It really help us to improve the service.
I really apologize for the lack of professionalism at the restaurant. It's really a shame and be sure that It won't happen anymore.
Let us know when you come back in Martinique, we will be very happy to welcome you again.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Just spend 2 weeks in Martinique at La Pagerie, hotels in Martinique are reknowned for a desapointment. From the moment I arrived until I left, It was nothing is too much trouble !I have never met such great team in Martinique! The new managment is serouisly chaking this hotel. The refurb program is amazing, the rooms are very confortable and great design.The new chef make you discorver one of the main attraction of the ilsand Le Cuisine Creole, amasing taste. In all I would say if you are looking for excellent service, great sleep, great food and FREE INTERNET !!! Well dont waist your money on over priced hotels and rude service in Martinique! I have there done that and burn the T-shirt !! lol Go to La pagerie in Les Trois Ilets ! ho i forgot ! The free show on Saturday night is so good!!

Room Tip: Refurb room !
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Responsable réception at Hotel La Pagerie, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your nice post on Hotel La Pagerie.
Tourism in changing in Martinique and we really do our best to prove it.

We hope to see you very soon there.

Best regards

Laetitia Biron
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trois-Ilets
Free Parking, B...
Hotel Bakoua
Hotel Bakoua
#9 of 12 in Trois-Ilets
3.5 of 5 stars 402 reviews

Been to Hotel La Pagerie? Share your experiences!