“Nice beaches, but not much else” 3 of 5 stars

Isla de Vieques
Directions
Puerto Rico
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice beaches, but not much else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

We did a lot of research on Vieques before we planned our vacation there. Most of the reviews said that it was not for those looking for a clean resort and that was definitely true. We were up for an adventure, but were not prepared for the atmosphere of the island itself. The island is basically made up of two to three shabby towns that are dirty and not designed for tourists (even though they say they are). No one was openly hostile, however, they were not friendly either. I am not sure they want tourists there. Even ABE's Bio Bay tour was NOT done well or friendly.

We booked a vacation by owner and were pleased with the place. Although I left messages, Evamer would not call me back. I don't know why. The Bravo Hotel is the nicest one on the island, but that does not say much. It is in a dumpy part of town, so just read between the lines when you look at the pictures.

We took the ferry over to the island, but that was not a good experience. For some reason, we got stuck on the car ferry and not the nice one on the Vieques website. It was really dumpy and took forever. We decided to fly back and it was fast and worth they money. It freed up a day to explore San Juan. It was also nice to see the island from the air.

The beaches were amazing, although we just stayed on Blue Beach the whole time. Many others were closed or had too much seaweed and rock to enjoy. Sun Bay was pretty, but nothing compared to Blue Beach! Before you go, find go find out what's open. They were doing a lot of construction and closed many of the supposed good beaches.

All in all, we will not be returning to Vieques. We had a good time, but just not good enough to return. Had Blue beach not been so incredible, I doubt we would have had a positive experience. It is a beautiful island in search of an identity. I think the native people there would like all tourists to stay away, but I know some others want the tourist money. They have a troubled past and I can understand them being standoffish with outsiders.
I wanted to feel good about learning another place and culture, but I just felt awkward and unwelcomed most of the time. The beach was worth it though. It's not a bad choice, just now what to expect going into it. Judge for yourself.

Cidra, Puerto Rico
“Great escape place in Puerto Rico. Flight from Jose Aponte Airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Great escape place in Puerto Rico.
Trip from Ceiba, Jose Aponte Airport to Vieques. The trip was a 10 min flight, which give you a great experience, and show you the Island in a little hop. Must rent a Jeep, in order to view all the island in one day. Best place to stay is Esperanza village. There is a lot of place right there that you can stay. Best available beach is Blue Beach. It is in the old Navy terrains that are now open to the public.
Have fun!!!

New Hampshire
“Vieques”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

We just spent our honeymoon on the small island of Vieques. Where we also were engaged the year prior. What a beautiful little island. I would highly recommend calling a head and renting a car. Though there is transportation around the island, if you really want to explore Vieques you will need a car to get to most of the beaches. I would suggest staying in Esperanza at Coco Loco guest house. A short walk from the water and run by two great people Joe and Margo. Say hi to Raul, Lucky and Lolita for me. The one place to relax by the water is a new place called Lazy Jack's. I would suggest stopping there on the way back from the beach, before dinner, and if not staying for their excellent pizza, stop back after dinner. The bartenders are outstanding. Josie and Judy will make you a great Pain Killer. If you want other food besies pizza there are other great places to get great food.

somerville
“easy going vieques”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

in march of 09 my wife and i spent 2 wks on the island of vieques . i would suggest to shop around for a rental jeep, prices are high. to see all the beaches you need trans. there are alot of local taxis or scooters are available. we spent 2 wks and did not see all the beaches. we found the one we liked and hung out . did alot of driving around . i have been in 30 countries and this is by far the most peacefull easy goin laid back place i have been. people are nice. weather is wonderfull. you can find beaches where there is no one. we are going back in dec for 2 wks and i think we will make this our winter place to go. i like the direct flight from where we live in boston. if you go try to get there early in the day the last ferry leaves at 4pm and it is an hour ride from the airport. you also can take a plane over to the small island. we took the plane back it was fun they seat you according to your weight. all and all a wonderfull place. alot of horses rooming around the roads you need to watch out the roads are narrow.

Boston
“Relaxing, great beaches, unspoiled, outdoorsy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

If you are looking for an island that is untouched, go to Vieques. The beaches are great and the biobay tour is an ABSOLUTE must. That was my favorite part of the trip. Be prepared to either relax and do nothing, or plan some activities (horseback riding, snorkeling, kayaking, etc). And, if you are a busy-bee, this may not be the place for you because TV and internet are limited. RENT AN SUV!! We did not, and I feel like we missed out on some of the beaches and other parts of the island because of it. Definitely rent the SUV in advance.

Been to Isla de Vieques? Share your experiences!