“A must try in Vieques” 4 of 5 stars

El Quenepo
148 Calle Flamboyan | Esperanza, 00765, Puerto Rico
+1 787-741-1215
Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Fun, funky island food located on the waterfront in Esperanza. Innovative cuisine with lots of flavors. Featured items include fresh local seafood, specialty cocktails, and local greens. Vegan and vegetarian items also available. Open for dinner only at 5:30. Closed Monday and Tuesday.
Belmont, Massachusetts
“A must try in Vieques”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I would say El Quenepo is one of the two best restaurants in Vieques. We made reservations pretty late and when we arrived the restaurant was still full. Good start.

Their cocktails were not that great. We ordered three appetizers and all three were excellent: ceviche, blue cheese salad, Mariscada martini.

My husband had the octopus entree and loved it. I ordered the tuna poke and it was too sweet and the wasabi was too spicy. If the dish wasn't as sweet and if it had less wasabi it would've been a winner. The tuna was seared perfectly.

We shared the deconstructed S'mores dessert, it was quite good.

Our server was a bit weird, he kept forgetting to bring our drinks, our appetizers and then our entrees, but we forgive him, because the food was good and he is young, he has time to learn. We ordered too much food and the portions are quite large.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
New York, New York, United States
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Fantastic food, great service and they even squeezed us in on Valentines because our plans got mixed up prior.

Everything was really delicious and if you're on the Island this is the best place to go...with Next Door being right behind it

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Watkinsville, Georgia
“Creative! Amazing dinner for valentines!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Lobster bisque, oysters and Mofongo! My wife had a coffee crusted steak that was the best steak I have ever put in my mouth. If I only had the bisque and the bread I would have been happy, happy, happy!

Amazing is not an understatement. Most of the food I had while on vacation in Vieques was very average except for breakfast at Hacienda Tamarindo which was outstanding as well.

Everyone was so nice, when taking the reservations, passing the owner in the street, charming hostess, and our waitress was excellent truly enjoyed her work. Dinner was about 1.5 hours, but we were not in a hurry.

I did not have room for dessert and I regret that, but what I regret more is that I did not eat here more than once, big mistake.

You can have an average experience down the street or pay a little more and be blown away!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Treat yourself when in Esperanza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The menu selections were very good and they had a lot of specials the evening we visited. Drink selection and craft beers were available as well. The night we visited, the restaurant was very busy so the service and timing was off. But, this isn't the big city and as long as you are on island time, you will enjoy the experience and food. We would definitely return next time we are in Esperanza.

Visited February 2013
Washington, DC
“Exceeded expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I'm glad to say El Quenepo met and exceeded our expectations. We ate here for Valentine's Day. We scheduled a late reservation and the restaurant was still busy and exciting when we arrived at 8:45pm. We ordered the lobster bisque and the tuna poke for appetizers. Excellent. I especially liked the plantain chips used in the poke. The bread and dipping oil was also great.

We each ordered a cocktail. Generous, delicious and strong!

We splurged for the lobster ($25/lb) and it was the best lobster I've ever had. I'm so glad we ordered it. It was served with green beans and a patty of something else delicious. My boyfriend ordered fish and his was perfect too.

We were too full for dessert even though we'd made a deal ahead of time to get it. Oops!

The only negative was the food took quite a while to come out. It's an island though, so you really can't complain about that. Our waitress was from NC and she was great.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere