We stayed in Casa de Kathy for 3 nights in her two bedroom apartment. There were very few good things and many bad things about our stay. Kathy made our stay miserable.
1. She was very uptight about the air conditioning, you are only allowed to have it on at certain times, and you cant leave it on when you are out of the house. Kathy also has many other confusing rules about the AC like you need to have all the doors open when you're in one area of the house, and also close all the windows when the AC or fans are on. she did a very poor job at explaining the rules. One of our windows was not working (Kathy knew about the problems with this window) and we had to leave it open when turning the AC on because it would not shut. Then the next morning, Kathy woke all of us up AT 5:00 IN THE MORNING to get onto us about having the window open!! Also, Kathy was very rude to my mother and would speak to her in an aggressive tone.
2. At Casa de Kathy you do not have any privacy whatsoever! Kathy listens to your conversations. On our last day, she saw our AC running in the morning, and she barged into our apartment without knocking while my brother was getting dressed, and she yelled at my mother say "WHY IS THE AIR CONDITIONING ON". We felt like we were under her watch 24/7. The way Kathy treated us was highly unprofessional and she made us feel very uncomfortable and awkward in the apartment.
3. There was no service and limited amenities during our stay. Kathy will come into your room to check the AC and other things, but she does not make your bed or take out the trash. The supplies in the room like shampoo, towels, etc. all looked very used and the shampoo and body wash were nearly empty. The Wifi is very limited and you can barely get a signal when it is working, but she turns the wifi off at night, and her wifi broke on our second night. She was very hesitant to let us use the washer and dryer (she didn't want to let us use it at first) and there is no TV (which we didn't mind much). The kitchen worked good and was very usable, but could use some updating.
4. Location is decent, only 2 blocks from the Malecon, but there are many other hotels/inns that are closer to the beach and grocery store. Also, the value of what we paid per night was way over priced. For what we paid, we should've at least gotten some service and a relaxing vacation without being bothered by Kathy. Sadly that was not the case. We were lectured over and over again by Kathy and it got very annoying.
5. After we left, Kathy accused us of losing two of her towels at the beach while we never even used them. She insisted that "she always leaves 4 beach towels in the apartment and now there are only 2". Only after all of that rubbish, did she realize that she is wrong and we never used her towels.
Overall, our family loved Vieques and would encourage everyone to come to this island, but Kathy made us miserable. We would not recommend staying at Casa de Kathy. Go to any other inn/hotel, but not here. Kathy will ruin your stay.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
I am sorry these guests were not happy with their stay at Casa de Kathy(CDK) and regret that they experienced anything less than a perfect vacation.
Report response as inappropriate
AC is provided but not for cooling the outdoors. We believe in conserving the earth's precious energy resources. Several parts of this review are incorrect or exaggerated - too many to address all of them. I
AC: The request is: "Please close all windows and doors while using the AC, and shut everything off before you go out." On some occasions, these guests left the AC running while they were out and/or windows and doors were left open while it was running. One day, while the AC was running with everything opened up, I simply asked if they could shut it down. But, in less than ten minutes, it was running again. When they denied turning it on again, I asked permission to enter to check the unit to see if it was malfunctioning (and I was given permission to enter). It was frustrating to have to speak to them a second time.
The handle on the window they could not shut had just been repaired and unfortunately the repair was not successful. It was fixed again as soon as I was notified. I regret having disturbed their sleep to have the window closed (it was not as early as they reported).
Washer: The guests were given access to the washer - but they wanted to wash after 8:00 PM, which is not allowed in order to keep the quiet for the other guests. By the way, I don't have a dryer so they were not denied using it.
Wifi: The internet connection was down for a day during the time these guests were here. I apologize but it was out of my control and is not common. We have one of the best services available in Vieques. It is not shut off at night (contrary to what was stated by the guest).
Towels: The question about the towels was a question not an accusation. After they checked out, I gladly stored their bags so they could have another day at the beach before they left Vieques at 6 PM. So, when I did not find all the beach towels in the vacated apartment, it was logical to ask if they had taken them to the beach.
Casa de Kathy is well-maintained and provides lots of amenities, including beach chairs, coolers, beach towels, a kitchen and bathroom stocked with many necessities - all of which was available during these guests' stay. And when they arrived, they were given the use of snorkel masks free of charge. Daily housekeeping services are not provided for stays less than a week.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.