“Second year even better! Gay friendly!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Villa Coral Guesthouse to your Saves list
Villa Coral Guesthouse
3.5 of 5 Guest house   |   485 Calle Gladiola, 00765, Puerto Rico   |
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Second year even better! Gay friendly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is our second year staying at the Villa Coral in Vieques. Beautiful rooms, super sweet owners who are always looking for a way to make our stay perfect! We love Esperanza, and visit the BioBay every night we can. This guest house is above the Melecon, so there's much less noise (unless you count the roosters, that seem to be everywhere on the island! lol).

We stayed last year in Room 5 - large, warmly done, refrig, quiet. This year we started there, and their private cottage Casita Carolina became available during our stay. While we wouldn't normally move once settled in a place that's great, I wanted wireless internet available in the room, and internet in the guest house is only available on the front porch.

The Casita has a full kitchen, which was awesome, beautifully appointed, incredible shower and has an outdoor shower as well! Loved it, loved it, loved it! We are making our plans to return next year and hope the Casita will be available then too!

Room service is twice a week, which we strongly prefer, and they will do your laundry for a small fee, by request. We love to have a small breakfast in, then prepare for a day of snorkeling, either on a private trip (we use Bieque Tours, Eric is a real sweetie, his staff is very fun and caring (David, Pepe, and Orlando) super safe, and super knowledgable - he's our BioBay tour guide as well) or it's a short walk down to the ocean, and local snorkeling is fabulous! We are always delighted by the hundreds of fish at the large pier, and have rented a canoe to go to the in harbor island as well. A nice late lunch at Bananas or Duffy's in our swimsuits, and back to prepare for the evening BioBay tour. A late dinner at one of the bars or fine dining restaurants after the tour, and another fabulous day in paradise!

We don't rent a car - a taxi to or from the Airport was $15, which the hosts will arrange if you prefer. And driving on the island is a bit - dicey. Get insurance if you decide to rent a car! Rentals of snorkel gear, & canoes are on the Melecon, and the guest house has some snorkel gear as well as beach chairs and small drink coolers.

It's clean, it's affordable, it's friendly, and it's quiet. AC in the room for evenings if it's too warm for you. Lots of breasy windows for lazy mornings and afternoons.

We love the Villa Coral!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This posada was the perfect choice for a weekend getaway in Vieques. The place is well located, the innkeepers are very nice and helpful. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The roof deck is a great chance to enjoy the night sky without going to far from your room.

Our room had a fridge which was very helpful as well.

The place is not luxurious but it's cute, very well-kept, clean, and affordable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed for 2 night in late July 2012 with my family (kids 7 and 3). Rented the ground floor apartment which has a full kitchen (which we didn't use except for the fridge), 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. Very convenient for a family or even two couples. Minutes away from the Esperanza malecón (waterfront) and all its dining options, plus all the southern Vieques beaches. It sits high on Esperanza at the end of a residential neighborhood, so it's quiet and receives no traffic. Satellite TV (Dish), cooler, beach towels and beach chairs. Also has a hose right outside the door to clean up when you get back from the beach. Highly recommended. Staff is very helpful, friendly and hospitable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Wil definately return to Villa Coral. The rooms are ideal for an island getaway as they are equipped with everything you need for a beach day. Also the staff is very helpful in eerything that they can provide.

• Stayed October 2012
Carbondale, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay! It changed my whole outlook on my trip because it was so relaxing. Mireya and Annette are very attentive and are careful to be there in person to welcome you and to see you off, which I really appreciated. The rooms are really tastefully designed and have everything I wanted and needed. Each room has not only a very nice, large-sized mini fridge, a coffeemaker, a sleek remote-controlled air conditioning unit, and a ceiling fan/lamp, but also 2 sets of very clean canvas folding chairs, a portable beach cooler with a shoulder strap, and beach towels for guests to take with them to the beach. How thoughtful, right?! There is also a little rinsing station with a hose right next to the foot of the stairs by the parking spaces where you can hose off before heading back into the rooms after a long day at the beach. The beach is only about a 5-min. walk away (if that!). Of course, there are many different beaches to explore.

The linens were also nice and clean and everything was very updated. There is also a wonderful rooftop deck spanning the entire length of the house with nice views of the surrounding countryside---replete with horses and geese--- and of the ocean. That roof was actually one of my favorite parts because they have a big mango tree in the backyard and the boughs heavy with fruit hang over the edge of the deck as you come up. I should clarify that I'm tall, but I was able to reach out my hand and pluck a big, ripe mango that was bouncing up and down in the wind enticingly just above my head. I've always wanted to do that ever since I heard a colleague's wife in Mexico complain about how hard it is to instill a good work ethic in certain characters when they're used to lounging around and having to just "stretch out their hands and grab the mango from the tree." I don't know why that image always stuck in my head, but now I've been able to do it just like that!

There is also another really nice patio space and terrace area on the second floor just outside the guest rooms. There are a couple of chairs with a footstool next to a coffee table filled with books and magazines. They have a little program where you can take a book if you leave a book, so if you are finishing up a little novel that you read on the flight and are looking for more reading, you can leave your book for someone else to peruse and you can pick up some other traveler's choice of reading that they left behind. In that same area, there is also a table with four chairs for people to sit and eat or have coffee at, a small bar with a microwave and some utensils, and a sort of observation deck that juts out towards the street with a fun little hammock chair where you can sit and read, look out over the ocean, and enjoy some of the best breezes on the whole island. This whole section is completely covered with a roof.

Mireya and Annette were also instrumental in getting me transportation back to the ferry at the end of my stay. The driver who had driven me out when I first arrived gave me his card, but it turned out his number had been disconnected, and then, another driver was sick, another driver was on his day off, another one was away, but Annette came through and finally got someone for me after much calling. I also wanted to mention one last detail...on my last morning (slept great, by the way), I set off to Playa Negra and got back a little earlier than I had planned since I didn't take my watch with me. I was already past check-out time, having left my bags in the front office before going to the beach. Since my taxi wasn't coming until around 2 p.m. and it was just after 12, Annette told me that I could go ahead and keep using my room since they didn't have another reservation for that room for that same day and the staff hadn't been in to re-do the whole room yet. This was great!!! because I could go ahead and walk down the street to the market, buy something for lunch, bring it back and put it in the fridge, take a shower, have lunch and relax/lie down for a while before having to go back to the ferry, take the ferry to Fajardo, take a taxi to the bus station, wait for the mini-van back to Rio Piedras and then on to Old San Juan. It was already going to be a bit of a long day and having the chance to shower, eat, and relax in "my room" even though it was already technically past check-out time was a real boon. It was also nice of them to agree to let me leave my bags in the front office in the first place since they were under no obligation to do so.

If I were going to Puerto Rico again, I might just head straight for Vieques and the Villa Coral Guesthouse!

Room Tip: I slept in Room #2 on the side closest to the corner of the street. It is at the front corner on th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Villa Coral was excellent! Perfect location in a quiet part of Esperanza but so close to the restaurants in Malecón and beautiful beaches. The house was lovely and so was our room, small but with everything we needed, very clean and nicely decorated. The staff was very friendly. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We loved Villa Coral! The staff was friendly and welcoming. Even before arriving, we received a very professional e-mail confirmation with suggestions on what to do all over the island. We took several of the suggestions in this e-mail and none of them let us down. The room we stayed in was tidy, homey, and met all of our needs for a romantic getaway. In addition to the basics (coffee maker, fridge, towels & linens), we were also provided beach towels, beach chairs, and a cooler to use during our stay. The guesthouse has a comfy lounge area with a microwave, couches, a sitting hammock, a book exchange, and board games—all of which lent the guesthouse a community feel. In addition, it boasts a rooftop deck with stunning views. While we didn’t come with our computers, there was also complimentary wi-fi on site. We rented a jeep from one of the rental agencies recommended by Villa Coral, so we took advantage of the guesthouse’s on-site parking (3 spots in front, with several other street parking spots available in front and around the corner – we always had one of the three spots in front during our Mon-Thurs weekday stay in July). If you are not renting a vehicle, Villa Coral might be a bit further (and uphill) from the Malecón and the beaches than you would like. We liked being a few blocks away from the hustle and bustle of el Malecón, while still being quite close. Also, part of the fun of visiting Vieques is exploring the beaches that are off the beaten path, so we recommend renting a vehicle for your stay. We’d highly recommend Villa Coral to our friends and family, and plan to stay there again when we return to Vieques.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Coral Guesthouse? Share your experiences!