“better than I hoped for” 5 of 5 stars

You added SeaGate Hotel to your Saves list
SeaGate Hotel
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Box 747, 00765, Puerto Rico   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“better than I hoped for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I hust got back from a wonderful week at Seagate so i was curious to go back and reread the reviews...most people "got" Seagate. Some didn't or shouldn't have been there in the first place. In a word if you want a perfect tourist resort which insulates you from Vieques-go elsewhere. If you want a friendly relaxing and homelike place, where Vieques is part of your life, come here.

a) Physically, the photos couldn't do it justice. The property is located near the top of a hill, with stunning views of the town below and the sea. It is a compound, holding several small buildings. The landscaping of the compound was beautiful: a long stone path flanked by shrubs, trees, and flowers. runs between the buildings.Each building has a few rooms; each room has a terrace with chairs, tables and beautiful views, One could easily spend long hours siting on your terrace and relaxing. My room was wonderful: pleasant, clean, attractive, and very reasonably priced. I enjoyed every second I spent in it.

b) The staff begins to feel like a family very quickly. Irma, Lawrence, and Penny become important parts of your life, as guests come and go they try to arrange cars, torurs, horseback rides, cook breakfast, deal with property maintenance issues, emergencies, and help guests learn about Vieques and where the good restaurants are, etc. For those of us from urban northern environments wanting everything immediately, waiting is hard. Get used to it here...and anywhere in Vieques! Warm, friendly, giving, yes! Quick, efficient....no! But guess what? I got used to it and liked it. Some guests even chip in a little and help. By the way, the breakfasts, which Penny described as "light" are better than that...home baked bread, two kinds of cheese, spanikopita, two kinds of fruit, cold cereal, hard boiled eggs juice...

c) Other guests. I travelled alone this week, and found other guests for the most part very friendly and wonderfully generous and supportive of each other....in a way I have not found in resort-type places. The atmosphere seems to encourage it. We are all crammed into a little room for breakfast which, though you would think would be irritating, actually breeds good conversation. People offer rides to each other or share excursions, etc. I think Penny subtly encourages this ("Oh you should meet so and so")

d) Penny needs a brief section about herself. She has been a mainstay on the island for a long time, as has been her mother,. She is a real person, warm, giving, continually helping out guests with one thing or another (including mailing me back an important item I had left in my room). And yes, sometimes you have to wait longer than you want for something to get done or to get picked up. And she is practical and doesn't apologize for the quirks of her vehicles, door locks, etc. But trust me, by the end that seems like part of the charm of the place.

e) Isabel II. Seagate is on top of a hill, so although it is only a five minute walk to the square which is the center of isabel, the walk back can seem steep. You also pass by some poverty, dogs, kids, loud music. on that walk,..but I never felt remotely threatened or unsafe....and that is part of the feeling of experiencing real Vieques. Isabel II is a real town sprinkled with tourist restaurants and guest houses. There is access to only one swimming beach. Most people rent cars, so they can get to other beaches, but I only rented a car one day. I enjoyed wandering around the town, and each day I noticed more. There are some fine restaurants (Coconut and Barefoot Bistro, Mommasongha's seafood stew), and you can grocery shop there too. You need to experience sunset daily at Mazoul's bar if you can!

Go to Seagate!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Huntington, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

The owner of Seagate is an admirable woman who has worked hard to provide humane care for dogs and horses. But the rooms have not been renovated in 40 years or more. And, there is a chorus of roosters crowing all night long. Didn't know roosters were up at night! The word was that the roosters are used in cock fights, not for mating, so perhaps they're all kept together and keep each other going. Whatever, I'll never forget that sound.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

Our stay at the Seagate hotel will be remembered by our family forever!! The people at the Seagate are extraordinary! Our plane was late taking off meaning we would not make our flight out of Ceiba to Vieques. I called Penny she arranged everything. She had a cab waiting for us at 12:00am, arranged a hotel in ceiba close to the airport changed our flights from Ceiba for the next day and had a cab ready for us in the morning to the Ceiba airport. WOW!!
As soon as Erma picked us up at the airport we knew we "were home." Everyone at the Seagate went out of there way to make us feel welcome, even the other guests.
Part of our youngest (8) Christmas gift was going horseback riding. Dad had never been on a horse and was a little nervous. He has not stopped talking about what a great time it was.
Our children loved this place. They explored and played with all the dogs. The last day they begged to stay and not continue our trip to San Juan. We will Definitely visit this place again.
This place may not offer 5 star amenities but Penny and her staff are 5 STAR!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

This is a nice Puerto Rican guest house. The accommodations were no frills but I found my stay there to be extremely pleasant. I noticed some other reviews mentioned smelling the horse droppings. They do keep horses on the property but I only noticed the faint odor when walking by the gate to the horse paddock. This island is filled with horses roaming around so I can't hold it against them for having some on the property. Penny sat down with us for a while and went over all the things to do on her island and was even able to rent us a car for the weekend. I really enjoyed my stay there and you should too.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

The owner picked us up at the ferry dock and took all 10 of us to her hotel. The hotel sits on a hill on a very pretty piece of property. There was a free breakfast every morning that was delicious. The owner was very helpful and provided us with everything that we needed during our stay! The rooms were very nice and they have a beautiful view. Our whole family enjoyed her place very much!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Mansfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Penny and Lawrence were great! They picked us up and dropped us off every time we needed and u can rent a car from them, Lawrence knows so much about the island and will help you out with just about anything. I got stranded at the ferry with my husband and 3 children after I checked out and they picked me up so my children and I would not have to wait in the heat all the day for tickets and they let us stay no questions asked. I am so thankful for there help. The rooms are very nice and clean and they also have breakfast in the morning which I was pleased about. The Island and the beaches I'm still dreaming about I did'nt want to leave Sunbay and Red beach were my fav's. Next time I'll stay longer then a weekend!!! Sea Gate is really a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Penny and Lawerence are great! We had to leave our vacation house early, on the mainland. Lawrence helped our family get three comfortable rooms, picked us up at the ferry, drove us to dinner, top notch recs. Penny even picked us up because it was raining! They were very accomodating with us, especially on a short notice. They helped us find a great beach to relax on, after a whirlwind of a week. I would definetley stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010

Been to SeaGate Hotel? Share your experiences!