“Ex-Marine” 5 of 5 stars

Camp Garcia
Puerto Rico
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Navy used this base to train soldiers.
Albany, Georgia
“Ex-Marine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Was my first duty station out of basic and school.I was there the last six months in1970 as a crash/firefighter on the Airstrip.After being there with all the beaches and got to meet some local people, it made my time past too fast. I was disapointed that I couldnt stay longer. I kept in contact with a couple of friends there for years after I left.It was the best duty station i ever had.

Visited August 2013

Boone, North Carolina
99 attraction reviews
“Worth the drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We drove around and checked out all the old bunkers and buildings left behind. Beware sometimes the trees and brush cover the roads and if you are in a rental jeep it will get scratched. We had a SUV our house owner rented us and he said no worries if it gets scratched. The beach we found was very nice and clean. We were the only ones there.

Visited June 2014
NYC
9 attraction reviews
“So many Choices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Some of the best beaches in the world are within this wildlife refuge. Not only the beaches but the terrain are worth admiring. Towards the end of the preserve road are hills of cactus and tress. its a beautiful place.

Visited March 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 attraction reviews
“Honoring my Dad at Camp Garcia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My Dad served in the US Navy for 21 years. As part of the "Seabees" Construction Battalion unit (he was a cook/steward), he was often overseas on duty when we were young, and he spend time in Camp Garcia in the mid-70s. He had been stationed throughout the world but always said that Camp Garcia/Vieques was one of the most beautiful places he'd ever been. He passed three years ago, and I was able to honor him by taking my Mom there on the third anniversary of his birthday in heaven and what would have been his 75th birthday. I'm glad he planted the seed when my siblings and I were young to inspire me to seek this beautiful place out later in life.

Visited January 2013
Lakewood, Washington, United States
“Fond Memories”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I was stationed there for about 6 months in 1976 as part of a joint USMC-Navy exercise. I was in S-2, Aerial Intelligence, as part of a contingent of UH-1N Heuy Helicopters attached to the Marine Amphibious Group out of Camp Lejeune, NC. We were also there with British Royal Marines and Dutch Marines. It was awesome duty! And hard work! But we had plenty of time to take in some the the most pristine and beautiful beaches I have ever seen anywhere I've ever been since. The undisturbed remoteness along with the natural beauty and wildlife was unforgettable and unmatched anywhere. I remember too that from the base, you got the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets. The worst thing was the heat and the "Cowboys" raiding our messhall late at night. It was GREAT duty!

Visited July 2011