“Heaven on Earth!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oreanda

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Oreanda
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Heaven on Earth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Oreanda during our Honeymoon on Vieques. The property sits right outside of Esperanza and overlooks acres of untouched forest with Black Sand Beach just a mile or two away. The grounds were gorgeous and the place had all the amenities you could need- a beautiful pool, fabulous charcoal grill, comfortable outdoor furniture, and tons of other extras. The room was very comfortable and we felt like we had a lot of privacy. The property manager on site was incredibly helpful with restaurant and beach recommendations and even took us on a wonderful hike down to Black Sand Beach where we were greeted by a group of wild horses. The place has a very laid-back beach feel while being incredibly clean and well-maintained. I would recommend this place to anyone venturing to Vieques without any hesitation. We stayed at the W for 2 nights as well and while the W was wonderful, we both preferred the independence and natural beauty we had at Oreanda. Thank you so much for an unforgettable honeymoon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Fredericksburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed for five days in March at Oreanda. It was perfect. Absolutely, stunningly, perfect. This was my second trip to Puerto Rico, and our first trip to Vieques. It could not have been any better, other than being able to stay longer!
The accommodations are superb - the Casita was spotless when we arrived, and Tyler, the on-site manager, had two ice cold Medalla Lights in the fridge, and a loaf of wonderful banana bread waiting for us. Tyler is a great guy - very knowledgable about the island's history, attractions and the local culture, and he is extremely personable. He led us and the couple staying in the other Casita on a wonderful hike down to Black Beach one morning - it was an easy going hike, but brought us to a part of the island we would not have seen otherwise.
Oreanda is so relaxing - waking up to the sound of birds singing, drinking coffee in the cool breezes on the front porch of the Casita first thing in the morning, and the spectacular view - looking out over the colorful plantings, the unbelievably gorgeous pool and deck, across the island to the Caribbean Sea in the distance - I wish I was back there now!!!
All of my dealings with Stephanie, the owner, were informative, timely, and very easy. She patiently answered all of my questions, helped us figure out our transportation issues, both on the island and getting back and forth from the mainland, and in all ways was professional, polite, and just a pleasure to do business with.
If you are looking for a chill place, one that is long on beauty, comfort, and relaxation, Vieques is a great destination, and Oreanda is the ideal place to stay.
We will definitely be going back - there is never more than two days that go by that my wife or I don't talk about and wish we were at Oreanda and Vieques!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
houston, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from an anniversary trip where we stayed in one of the Oreanda guest houses. We both really enjoyed our stay and think that it is a great value that we would consider doing again. The owners was super friendly and the on-site manager Tyler also had great hospitality and gave us wonderful suggestions. We loved the views, the outdoor shower and the visiting horses, not to mention swimming in the pool. We arranged a massage on the pool deck which was amazing (Masseuse Ingrid Bergman is GREAT). It felt very safe with alarms and gates, and also was very close to our favorite Isabel restaurants and yoga at Hix Island House. Though I still consider it an amazing deal, the bed mattresses were a little uncomfortable but the breezes and animal sounds helped lull us to sleep regardless. You can not really cook much on the hot plates either if you are hoping to save money, though the coffee is great. But at this affordable rate, it still felt just right and five stars for this price range. I just think it is important to have the right expectations. The customer service was even higher than five stars though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dresher, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We just returned from our stay at Vieques and it was heaven on earth!Some of the most beautiful, remote and private beaches we have ever seen. Most of the time we were the only 2 people there. Definitely rent a jeep and make your way to the more remote beaches! Navio was our personal favorite!
Oreanda was the perfect place to stay. It was charming, quaint and so peaceful. Waking up to amazing coffee, beautiful views and the sweet smell of island flowers was amazing! Tyler was awesome! He was full of information about the island,how to get around, good places to eat, best beaches plus just an all around great guy! He made the stay at Oreanda so easy and comfortable. Stephanie was great during booking and got us the discount tickets back to San Juan which was great!
Our favorite places to eat was the Tin Box and the soul food food truck! The tin box is so fresh that the salads come straight from the garden on the property. They have a raw bar and great BBQ. The corn bread and mac and cheese was out of this world! The food truck was cheap and some of the best sandwiches and empanadas we have ever had. Make sure you get there on the early side because they run out of food.
The bio bay tour is a must! It is pixie dust in the water! We went with Vieques Adventure company with the clear boats and it is so worth the extra money. We can't imagine you get half the experience without them!
We are so glad to get the 40th review since this trip was for my 40th birthday and it could not have been better! Full of adventure, relaxation, wonderful people and magical memories! Don't hesitate to book! It has all 5 stars for a reason:)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I cannot emphasize enough how incredible Oreanda is. It is truly a gem. A group of us were able to stay for almost a week on the entire property and there is not one thing I would have changed about our trip. The view is amazing, the amenities are perfect and the location is prime.

I felt very safe on the property even at night; the owners had attached a small flashlight to the Casita keys and although it is such a simple thing, it made a huge difference in how I felt walking to and from the main house at night. Howard and Stephanie were extremely helpful throughout the trip planning process and made me feel welcome to their home.

Vieques itself is a great little island and we had a wonderful time exploring. One of my favorite adventures was walking the riverbed behind the house down to Black Sand Beach--I definitely recommend it! It's not too far of a walk and you can take the road back for a shorter walk home (I would only recommend this during the day, you do NOT want to walk on these roads at night!)

Having access to a car was great, but the gas was a little bit of a stress since there are only 2 gas stations on the island. The house manager, Tyler, was really helpful and fun; having an islander a phone call away was very comforting for me.

We took a Bioluminescent Bay tour and it was really incredible, if you're on Vieques the Bio Bay is a must see! But if you do this tour, DO NOT bring ANYTHING on you except cash to pay for the tour, you will get wet!

We ended up taking the puddle jumper flights both ways, but there is a Ferry option to get to the island. I liked the puddle jumper for the fact that it was quick and beautiful, but I think the ferry would have been fun to take one way (and much cheaper).

Our go-to place was Duffy's; it was right on the strip with a great view and outdoor bar. I wish I was back there now!

All in all, this was a fantastic trip and I hope to visit again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I booked Oreanda for a belated honeymoon Caribbean get-away. Our stay was a perfect mix of beach-bumming, tourist-y exploring, dining out, and relaxing at the property. Stephanie was efficient and thorough with booking, provided commuter coupons for discounted airfare, and suggested some her her favorite activities and spots on the island. Tyler, the property manager, was an incredible help - it is obvious he takes a lot of pride in the upkeep of the property (he even served us some home-grown pineapple!). He helped us arrange a bio-bay tour, a hike to a black-sand beach, a horseback tour, and in-home massages. The property itself is gorgeous - some of our favorite moments were breakfasts on the deck, overlooking mountains and ocean (an awesome view!), and lazy afternoons by the pool.

Another young couple (lawyers from NY) arrived during our stay, which, truthfully, I was concerned might spoil the serenity of our get-away. It turns out they were really nice and cool - we did the bio-bay tour together and had an impromptu 'happy hour' getting to know one another - it was just the right amount of socializing.

We loved it, and hope to return soon. As far as we are concerned it, this is Vieques at its best.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tolland, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was a lovely place for us. The Azul casita was nicely decorated, roomy, and comfortable.
The property manager, Tyler, checked on us frequently to ensure that we had everything we needed and made great suggestions for activities and restaurants. The view of the Caribbean, the mountain, and the pool made it a wonderful setting to relax. We look forward to returning next year.
Paula & Fritz K.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Oreanda? Share your experiences!