“Good Value” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Lodge   |   #6 Calle Hucar | BO Esperanza, 00765, Puerto Rico   |
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I would highly recommend Casa de Tortuga to budget minded travelers that are looking for a clean and comfortable place in a great location. I feel that Casa de Tortuga is a great value. It is in no way a five star resort, but it is perfect for a trip to Vieques where you will most likely spend most of your time away from the hotel exploring the beaches and other attractions. The location of this hotel is great. My wife and I enjoyed being able to walk from my room at night to the many bars and restaurants on the Malecon without having to worry about driving or finding a cab. There is a grocery store right next door and also a place to grab breakfast in the morning. The owners were very friendly and helpful. They provided me with beach towels, beach chairs and a small cooler to take to the beaches. I would definitely stay at Casa De Tortuga again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Thank you! We have a really great time in Vieques and mostly due to the great owners. Linda and her husband are wonderful. They showed us around, answered each questions about restaurant, supermarket, bars, beaches, snorkeling, fish market, everything. We saw people living in other places come to ask Linda and her husband for advice. The room is decorated with lovely classical style, we can enjoy the pool and take fruit from their orchard. The star fruit are tasted so fresh. And it is cool to spend Christmas with Linda's family: Linda showed us around the island and rain forest for a whole afternoon by her Jeep, with Linda's husband, we jumped into the sea on Christmas night to celebrate this holiday, and we really appreciate the Christmas dinner--- the beef all the way from Colorado. To keep it simple, you will have more than expected enjoyable time here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Thanks a lot guys ! we had a great time in your hotel !!
It is a great place in a great location, it is only one block from the malecon. Walking distance from the restaurants.
It is very comfy and clean hotel !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I'll keep it simple - the owners/hosts were wonderful, offered us drinks when we arrived and showed us around, answered our questions for recommendations, etc. They even let us take some fruit from their trees home with us! The place is located about as close as possible to the stuff in Esperanza, has parking, is nice and clean, and has a pool. Rooms were nice (had AC) and our section had a kitchen with a few things for simple cooking, too. Only downside was that it seemed to be next to a rooster farm or something, but it wasn't that big of a deal. Definitely recommended for anyone looking to stay in Esperanza.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Linda and John were top hosts. Very helpful and always open for our questions. Rooms and property in very good conditions. Located around the corner of the malecon with the restaurants. bakery and little shop in direct neighbourhood. The only thing you should have in mind are the rooster concerts early in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I traveled to Vieques for the first time in mid-September, and spent HOURS online researching a place to stay that was a great value, centrally located, near the beaches, near a grocery store and restaurants, and with a pool. That is EXACTLY what I found at Casa de Tortuga. The room was lovely and clean, with a small kitchen area with a table and a comfy queen-sized bed. There was also a BBQ and outdoor seating area that was at our disposal, and a lovely pool surrounded by tropical trees. The Malecon (the main street of Esperanza) was a short block away, as were the fun bars and restaurants where we met and made friends with local people.

Derah and Caleb could not have been more attentive hosts, helping us arrange a Bio Bay tour, answering all of our questions about the island, directing us to great beaches, helping us get taxis to and from the ferry, and generally being lovely, easy-going people. I am certain that my stay in Vieques would not have been the same if I had stayed at any other hotel. It truly was a magical experience, and I cannot recommend Casa de Tortuga highly enough.

Thanks again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I usually travel to vieques twice a year, this time I decided to stay at Casa de Tortuga, it seemed a good place, good reviews, and it was 6pm on a sunday (everything else was closed). The place is nice and comfortable, the problem is there are too many nice places in Vieques .The service is the worst I ever received!! Dara or Dana (The "manager") told us a price for an apartment for 4pp and when my uncle went to pay (i was outside) she charged $50 dollars extra without prior notice. When I came down to ask her about the price difference, she laugh at me and told me "I could leave if I didn't like it". I would had love to leave that place but unfortunately we had a 6:30 pm pick up for the bio bay and nowhere else to stay for the night.
When we came back from the bio bay and dinner, the last surprise at 11pm was there was no hot water in the showers...
Book in advance and stay somewhere else, there are plenty of guesthouses and hotels with nice people.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa de Tortuga? Share your experiences!