“I do not return” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Boston, Massachusetts
“I do not return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This hotel could benefit from better mantenance. The exterior looked abandoned. I stayed with a group and shared a room with a colleague. Our room was very deteriorated (ceiling and walls were peeling off and had signs of water leaks, screens had holes through which mosquitos could come into the room), dirty (mold in bathroom, very dusty), and the worst was that when we uncovered the bed we found hair and a dead insect. We requested a room change and the only offer was a room with deteriorated appliances, hot and dusty. They offered to clean everything and they did but first they told me I could not be expecting a perfect room. The management even did not believe what I said about the beds that looked as never been changed. They came to the room to inspect and then they apologized. But first they did not believe me. I told them I was not asking for a perfect room but for a room in the minimal decent conditions for a person to stay and feel safe and relaxed. I found another dead insect when I uncovered the bed after they cleaned. The hotel is located in a very nice area (nature as its best) but away from the city (you need transportation to go around). The restaurant in the hotel was superb. You have to eat there. The hotel included a continental breakfast that had very few choices and variety per day. There was a very nice pool but it needed better cleaning. The view from the pool and dining areas was spectacular. Unfortunately one day when two of us served our cereal we found that it had "gorgojos" or food insects. It was disgusting. My experience there was more negative than positive. At this point and based on the bad memories I feel I do not want to stay in the hotel never again. The property is for sale. It seems to me that the owner is not interested in keeping the hotel in decent and acceptable conditions. To be fair, some of the people who traveled with me said they got nice rooms. But other people complained of their rooms too. In one room there was a tarantula in the bathroom. In a few rooms there were too many mosquitoes.. We were told that this is a hotel in the "campo" (inland) and it is to be expected that insects get into the rooms. I disagreed with that standpoint.

Room Tip: Bring mosquito repellent
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Vieques
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

simple, functional, room with a lanai and views of grounds, ocean and pool. room had a kitchenette. a wonderful restaurant next door.
we would stay here again

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

We just returned from an overnight trip to Vieques where we stayed at the Crows Nest. The room was very basic, but comfortable. Not a room that you'd want to hang out in, but why would you want to stay in a room while on Vieques? The setting is lovely; the continental breakfast a tad spare, the service very friendly. We initially booked a bio-bay tour not knowing that we would need to spend the night on the island. So, we only stayed at the Crows Nest one night. it is centrally located on the island (CAR RENTAL A MUST), so it is the perfect jumping off place for daily adventures. We thought we would get up the next morning and return to the ferry, but the Crows Nest had beach equipment, coolers, and towels for free, so we grabbed a bunch and headed to one of the famous beaches for the day. We were sad to have to leave, making a quick stop to return the stuff we borrowed on our way back to the last ferry of the day. We did not get to enjoy the restaurant, but hope to return as the setting is lovely.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Our stay at the Crow's Nest was nothing spectacular but it fully met our needs. Pros: The staff is very friendly, there was a nice continental breakfast every morning, the pool and grounds were lovely and there is a very good little rooftop restaurant on site. There was beach gear available for free (umbrellas, chairs, etc). I also felt like it attracted a good mix of friendly people because of the price point...older couples who had been coming there for years, other young couples, some solo travelers and some families...so there was a pleasant, laid-back vibe. Cons: The rooms are pretty dated and bugs fairly present, bed a little lumpy (then again, I was 4 months pregnant so I might have been particularly sensitive!), and the location is tricky if you don't have a rental car as it is neither in town nor on the beach.

A NOTE ABOUT RENTAL CARS ON THE ISLAND: they can be VERY hard to get ...if you don't have one already reserved don't wait until you get there as you will be out of luck! We even met several people who DID have one reserved and were still unable to get one when they arrived. The hotel tried to help us in the days leading up to our visit and while we were there but even she could find one. I have heard this may have improved with the W's arrival on the island but I wouldn't risk it. The island is very hilly so bikes probably aren't going to be a good option and the walk into town or to the beach is too far (and my husband and I are both very active and fit). We were lucky and were able to find some scooters to rent at the last minute, so if you're up for that check out the rental place down on the malecon.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

My wife and I have been staying at the Crows Nest for over 20 years now. This year our daughter got married there - and we had over 20 friends flown in for the ceremony. We must say this was one of those "life memory" moments. The services provided by the staff, especially Liz ODell the Restaurant Owner/Manager, were simply wonderful. The food was superb (one of the guests was a Chef from Key West and he loved the island, the Crows Nest, and the food - he actually took several recipies back with him). Everyone who came vowed they would return to this beautiful, quiet, and pristine Guest House - and we're already planning a "reunion" for everyone next year. I would highly recommend the Crows Nest to ANYONE wanting a quiet and beautiful getaway. For a quick overview of the Crows Nest - you can go to www.crowsnestvieques.com. My wife and I are already planning our semi-annual trip back down in the Spring.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Trussville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

The reason for the title of my review is very simple, the website is outright misleading. It doesn't lie, it just doesn't tell the truth. The website gives the impression that a regular room is extra large with a sofa, easy chair, and lots of room. This is false. Aparently, this is the larger 2 room suite, not the regular room. Also, they have TV in the room with cable, which is true but again it's misleading. The TV gets like 10 channels, with 2 channels broadcast twice. What you really have is 8 channels, like Fox News, CNN, ESPN, TBS, HBO, TMC (I think), and ABC, CBS, & NBC. Now, some the good stuff. Christina, the girl at the front desk is super. She's very sweet, speaks fluent Spanish & English (she's Anglo). She will jump through hoops to be helpful. The inn is located away from town so make sure he have either a car or a scooter. The AC was good in our room on the 2nd floor. There is a pool and restaurant, but the food is pricey and portions small. Oure room was large with a full kitchenette including a stove, microwave, large refrigerator, and cabinet space. We had a table for eating on with 3 hard chairs. The bathroom is bigger than average for a hotel/inn with a large shower. I would recommend this place to others with the proviso they understand what they are getting instead of the website "errors." Vieques is a neat place to visit with beautiful beaches, a U.S. Natural preserve, horseback riding, fishing, snorkeling, hiking, plenty of places to hang out and eat or drink.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

The Crow's Nest is a charming place to stay. Comfortable, spacious rooms - not fancy at all, but felt very homey. The staff was really friendly, and kept our room extremely clean on a daily basis. Loved the breakfast area - fantastic setting overlooking the pool, hillside, and ocean in the distance - and enjoyed the simple breakfast, passionfruit juice and great coffee every morning. Roosters crowing in the middle of the night were a little annoying, yet kind of funny, but shutting the windows and cranking up the a/c around 4am helped a lot. Liked the use of beach towels and beach coolers, and took advantage of the gatorade and water for sale in the office on a daily basis!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Crow's Nest? Share your experiences!