“I am Puerto Rican and this true local grub” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Argentinean, Caribbean, International
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“I am Puerto Rican and this true local grub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I'll make it short and sweet. This is a hole-in-the-wall restaurant for great Puerto Rican food. Tostones (fried plantains) were fresh and crispy, and this is something that restaurants usually mess up. The owner offered some of her hot-sauce to mix with the "mayo-ketchup" (Puerto Rican version of thousand island) we had ordered. I was going for the hot-sauce with my spoon in not time...I ordered the pork chop, one of my favorite local foods and it was fried to perfection. And VERY WELL seasoned. My boyfriend had the chicken empanada (breaded fried chicken) and it was very good too. We both had the rice and beans. The rice was just like my mom makes it and the beans were OK. I don't say great because they were Kidney beans and I like pink beans. Getting technical, I know...

I went to buy a bottle of her hot sauce and she had sold out of the 300 something bottles she had packed that week ;) IT'S REALLY GOOD.

DEFINITELY VISIT THIS PLACE! But go with some time to spare. Service can be a little bit slow if they have big groups.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Jersey
“Mediocre food, dirty restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

We weren't impressed with El Patio at all. The interior of the restaurant is dreary and dirty, and there's only one desirable table on the outdoor covered patio. The salmon was tasty and the chicken wrap OK, but the chicken pasta was swimming in 2 cups of grease. Don't go out of your way to eat here.

• Visited March 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Delicious food and awesome service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My brother was married in Vieques in February 2011. He did not use a wedding planner and put the entire thing together himself. He had been to Vieques many times and had dined at El Patio and gotten to know the owners a bit. He hired them to do the food for the wedding and it was amazing! Empanadas, churrasco, portabello rice and beans, cilantro salad. It was delicious and the entire staff was super helpful and sweet, even helping my brother set up other things before the wedding. We were so impressed and enjoyed them so much that our whole group went to eat at the restaurant the next day and it was just as good! I had the shrimp curry and it was delectable. Creamy, super flavorful, and just the right amount of spiciness. Sonja and Kiki are wonderful people who run a fantastic restaurant. I look forward to going back.

• Visited February 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Local food with 5 star taste!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011 via mobile

This place at first seems a bit sketch- they aren't big on decor- its small and looks like a street restaurant.
Then you meet the awesome waiter Kiki- he makes you feel excited about the food and tells you the rice and beans are not like any other!- it makes me excited to try it and it may be psychological but when I tasted those rice and beans: it tasted like no other!! The place is BYOB- which is awesome! We brought a bottle of wine and ordered an app: octopus tostones. OMG! Best octopus I ever had! The flavors were intense and the octopus was cooked perfectly, tender and very juicy. Then our waiter Kiki brought out their homemade hot sauce. When I tried it, I wanted to bathe in it: it was that good! Probably one of the best hot sauces I had in my life! I would of bought a bottle but I couldn't bring it on the plane.( it's $20 too). I spoke with the chef and the hot sauce was made with multiple peppers Ginger rice vinegar and fresh passion fruit: yum! Ok so enough about the hot sauce! Then we ordered the grouper with rice and beans and the Mahi Mahi with rice and beans. Both were cooked to perfection and was seasoned so perfectly. Again the rice and beans were to die for- not greasy at all. They had a good clean taste. The grouper melted in your mouth and the Mahi Mahi was delicious! Also this place is cheaper than El Quenepo and Next Course.
The downside is it's in Isabel and it's decor is cheap but if you get the front table( there's only one ) you can eat while watching the bums and Isabel passerbys.... Which can get interesting.... Highly recommended- don't miss out!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Great food, great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

The food and the people at El Patio are simply fantastic. the waiter, Kiki, is immensely helpful and wonderfully freindly. Carlos, the chef is as exuberant aas his food is deliscious. I recommend The Patio to anyone spending any amount of time in Vieques. There are places that look nice, or are in nicer locations but the food and the people at The Patio make this a place you simply must visit!

• Visited January 2011