“Authentic hotel stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Tamarindo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Hacienda Tamarindo
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
A TripAdvisor Member
“Authentic hotel stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Included with room price: delicious breakfast, 24/7 pool access, beach gear-(beach chairs and cooler), computer, printer, wifi, board games, library, beautiful views. This hotel room was authentic as there was no tv and no AC. However the open windows gave a nice breeze with the ceiling fan running and we woke up refreshed from the fresh air. We would stay here again if we return to Vieques. The breakfast is upstairs and is served like a restaurant- waitress comes to your table and you choose off a menu- however it is all included in your room price. The fresh juices were incredible as well as the homemade bread on the breakfast panini. We only stayed one night- then headed back to mainland PR, wished we would have stayed longer.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Wow! Thank you for that great review. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay, and took advantage of all Hacienda Tamarindo and Vieques have to offer. We hope you will come back for a longer visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a continental US antique Bed and Breakfast feel to it with a nice view of the ocean. Very nicely decorated although not the decorations I would expect to see on an "hacienda" which would typically be more of a Spanish style.
Staff was really nice. Our room even thou not impeccably clean (shower needed some scrubbing) had a comfortable bed and a nice distant view of the ocean. When we first walked into our room it was full of mosquitoes, I spend some time spraying them with the flying insect killer provided. If you are allergic/sensitive to bug killer spray plan on bringing something else to deal with mosquitoes.
Hotel provided beach towels and had other items for rent which was convenient. Breakfast was good.
If you are thinking about booking at this hotel you must rent a car it is not close to any attraction.

• Stayed September 2013
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We really appreciate your feedback. I am happy to know that you received good service. Unfortunately, it has rained a lot lately, but then it is hurricane season and we should expect that. However, it does encourage the mosquitoes in spite of our efforts to keep them at bay. We will certainly consider your comments about the décor. We are Vermonters and little touches of New England help to make us feel more at home.
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We are leaving Hacidenda Tamarindo today, but it will be difficult to go. The view is 2nd to none, the view is wonderful, the grounds and gardens are beautifully kept, the staff is very simpatico, the breakfast is terrific, and the rooms are very comfortable. They make everything so easy - the pool is also great for the end of the day overlooking the ocean. The horses wandering the property just add the perfect special touch. They had a rental car delivered for us (highly recommend Martizas) and provided fresh beach towels everyday. Definiately get the lunch they offer - it's very, very good and thoughtfully packed with ice packs in easy to use backpacks. We (me and my three girlfriends who came to celebrate a special birthday) would recommend Hacienda Tamarindo happily - Ivan is a great manager, and takes very good care of guests - I look forward to sharing a beer with him and my husband when I bring my husband to the island soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
WE are so glad you booked here, and that you enjoyed your stay so much. Thank you for taking the time to write this glowing review. We look forward to your next visit when perhaps Burr and I, as well as Ivan and your husband will be able to share a beer, and toast your return. We are away, so it is especially good to hear that you felt so well taken care of in our absence.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for five nights in January and I've been meaning to write a review for a while. We had previously stayed at the ritz in San Juan and we planned on coming to vieques for a one night stay to see the bio bay. When we got to this place we extended our stay and cancelled our next hotel back on the mainland. This place was awesome. They were so accommodating and friendly and had everything available to us. There is a self serve bar that functions on the honor system (you write down what you take and they charge you later), a nice pool, a beautiful view and hammocks out back. The vibe of this place is quaint and rustic. Very cool spot to spend a few days. One couple even stayed there for a month and a half. I highly recommend

• Stayed January 2013
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Wow! We love that you loved it at Hacienda Tamarindo, and we do hope we will see you back here. It's very kind of you to share your experience. We really appreciate it.
Chatham, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Three nights at the Hacienda Tamarindo in late August were superb and relaxing in every way.
The rooms are fantastic, comfortable with a lovely decor, and the whole property has a great feel and ambience. Breakfasts are delicious and hearty. The pool and grounds are beautiful, with wonderful views.
The staff were all friendly and helpful, and the owners have created not just a beautiful small hotel, but really have thought about what sorts of facilities and items that visitors need, as they head out to a long list of the most beautiful beaches or return looking for some creature comforts. We would (and hope to) return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
You are very kind, and we certainly hope you will return. We really love having guests return who enjoy Hacienda Tamarindo and Vieques. Thank you, too, for taking the time to write your great review.
Crofton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Spent 3 nights at Hacienda Tamarindo in July, 2013 on our first trip to Vieques. We bought the Vieques Paddleboarding package that also included a discount on our airfare to the island. It cost us more money to fly to Vieques, but we can truly say that it was worth it. The flight on VAL was a blast because we got to see so much scenery from the air, and Hacienda Tamarindo is a lovely spot. Quiet, pretty, and perfect for a 3-day getaway. The staff helped us find places to eat, booked our tour of the Bay at night, and made me my favorite Puerto Rican oatmeal every morning. Finally, they were also kind enough to help us with our laundry as we were leaving for a 7-day cruise afterwards and didn't want to start the 2nd part of our vacation with dirty clothes.

The only two issues that popped up were 1) when the hotel staff member at check-in forgot to tell us that we had to drive to the paddleboarding place the next morning (I thought that we would be picked up); however, they quickly remedied the situation and re-booked the tour, and all went really well, and 2) It took way too long to get our rental car after we arrived, and the Jeep they rented us was kind of beaten up; however, in the end, it really didn't matter. You can also rent umbrellas and chairs, and many other things on an honor system, which we found very helpful. Our room was number 25, right off the area where they serve breakfast, overlooking the pool. It was a nice room with easy access up one flight of stairs. If you're interested in finding a nice place for a first visit to Vieques, this is a great location!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I can't say how much we appreciate our guests who take the time to write reviews of their experience at Hacienda Tamarindo. Yours is a perfect example of, "everyone makes mistakes". Thankfully, we were able to remedy the situation. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope we will see you again.
Ozone Park, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Let me start with the pros. The view was amazing it was a panoramic view from our 2 room suite. My favorite part of this place was the sheep dog Zac. And that's where it ends.

The cons- Let me be fair and say some of the things that occurred here were not in there control.
First I decided not to rent a car because I figured since we were only there one night and the bio bay tour was literally at the end of the driveway we wouldn't need a rental we can hang out in the hotel while we wait for the tour at 7pm. Biggest mistake ever!!! When we arrived at 1 pm we checked in the man gave me my husband and father a quick tour of the property. We then settled into our rooms and went down to ask where we can grab a bite to eat because there is no food on the property till 6pm when the restaurant opens at the end of the driveway. The man at the desk called us a cab and then left. Well we waited 40 mins for that cab and it didn't show I asked the lady at the desk to call and they said they were picking up passangers at the ports. So my husband asked well maybe we can rent a car she called 4 car rental places who had no rentals available. So she called back the cab service they then said they didn't have time to bring us to the rental places but would pick us up to bring us to a restaurant. By the way they wanted to charge $25 just to take us a mile down the road to el Mallecon. So we waited another 30 minutes and no show. We tried to explain to the front desk my father is diabetic and needs to eat soon he hadn't eaten since 6am. They basically said there was nothing they can do.Well they have a café upstairs for breakfast they didn't even offer a piece of bread!! So my husband and I decided to walk and find food. so we started down this tiny winded road that has no side walks basically it's a two way street that really looks wide enough to fit one car. so we had to keep going to the side well the roads were wet and my husband slipped and twisted his ankle so bad it was so swollen it looked like a plastic foot. Well someone was nice enough to pick us up and bring us to get food. We sat down and one of the bars and they gave him ice in a ziplock bag. I then flagged down a taxi van and he took us back to the Hacienda Tamarindo he gave us his number in case we needed cab service. We spent $120 on the 3 sandwiches and 3 plates of rice and beans and fried chicken. When we got back about 1hr 1/2 later my mom was mortified when she seen my husband ankle scraped and swollen so we sat in the café area to eat and were talking amongst ourselves a bout how there is no food at the hacienda and cab service is horrible well the man from the front desk was there listening to us and I guess felt bothered by it. My mother then asked him for ice for her son in laws ankle and his response was I showed you where the ice machine is?? Well that was the icing on the cake for her. As we sat there eating he then wanted to put his too sense in about why they don't have food there and how he called the cab for us. Well my husband told him 3 times we aren't blaming you and he continued to say well we should have planned accordingly and rented a car in advance. Which is when I told him we were not speaking to him and many people come to this island and do not rent cars. Well my parents had to take my kids on the bio bay tour and my husband and I didn't go. I also found out later that while we were on our hunt for food my daughters were in the pool and my parents were watching them and there was an older man employed by hacienda tamarindo who came and climbed on the palm trees to knock down the coconuts well one of those coconuts fell into the pool and nearly hit my 16 year old in the head if my father hadn't told her to watch out she could of been DEAD....To top it off he was offering my father the coconuts and two other guest sisters who were by the pool. He even put rum in it and gave it to the 2 sisters.
-Also there are NO Televisions on the premises..
-in the 2 bdrm suite the bathroom is in the center kind of like a jack and jill so if someone is in the bathroom you cannot get in or out. And there is no privacy you can see thru the doors.
-The other con is at 8 pm I went downstairs to get ice for my husbands foot and there was no one on the property to ask a question to or in case of an emergency. On the front desk glass it says they leave at 6ish.
We were so disappointed in this place we didn't even stay for the breakfast which was included. We called the cab driver we had got his phone number from earlier and he was there at 7:30 am sharp. We sat at the port and found food nearby.
If your coming here make sure you have a rental!!!!!

Room Tip: get a rental