“Perfect small hotel and perfect island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Tamarindo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Hacienda Tamarindo
Save Saved
You added Hacienda Tamarindo to your Saves list
Box 1569 | Rte. 996, Km. 4.5, 00765, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
3's A Charm
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Isla de Vieques
Washington DC
“Perfect small hotel and perfect island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Collectively, we’ve been to 10 different places in the Caribbean. We’ve stayed in luxury resorts and nice, small hotels. Having spent 3 nights at Hacienda Tamarindo, we can honestly say this is the best small hotel experience right now in the Caribbean. So here’s the review. I’ll try and provide as much information as possible so you can make your own decision.

We had quite a journey to get there from first being able to find the ferry in Fajado to the rough ride over on the ferry to the trip on the public (shared van/taxi) to the rental car place. They made the reservations for us....suggest you do the same. We drove up to the Tamarindo and hoped it would live up to our hopes for a relaxing vacation. We weren’t sure when we drove up….they were doing roof work.

Melissa got us checked in and showed us around. The first thing that struck me was how beautiful the interior was in spite of the roof work. I walked towards an open doorway and then out on a porch and saw a beautiful pool and view of the Caribbean with islands in the distance. I noticed that there was a patio to the right of that (with a privacy wall) with that wonderful view. And then Melissa said “by the way, that’s your patio….” We went into the room and it was the perfect traditional room in a hacienda (more on that later). She proceeded to show us around the entire hotel and explain the library, honor bar, computer, breakfast room, the place to rent the beach chairs, umbrellas, etc. It was obvious that she cared about the hotel and its guests.

We came to know Ivan, the hotel manager, and Linda and Burr, the owners (and Zack, their wonderful sheep dog). We also came to understand that everyone there deeply cares about your experience. Burr was trained at the Cornell University Hotel School and it shows. They’ve basically anticipated what their guest would need in a small Caribbean hotel on Vieques and provide it: Beach chairs, umbrellas (both beach and rain), beach towels, etc.

Now to the details: If you need large marble baths and health clubs and spas and room service and TVs and exotic cocktails at the bar and post modern furniture, please check out the W and upgrade to a junior suite so you can pay $650 (not including the resort fee) or more an enjoy their man made beach. Hacienda Tamarindo is for people looking for an honest Caribbean experience.

Ever dream of staying at a wonderful Caribbean villa? Some place without the crowd? Your own private estate with fountains where wild horses come and visit? This is it. We had a Caribbean Deluxe room and would recommend you do the same. The bathroom was immaculate, but small. It had a toilet and shower. The sink was in the main bedroom with ample counter space. The room (#5) had the beautiful patio overlooking the pool and sea. Keep in mind that the rooms on the second floor are near the breakfast room. If you sleep late, it’s probably best to reserve on a different floor. They serve 8-10 am. If you’re looking for luxury, there’s a 2 bedroom guest house just below the pool. The compressors on the air conditioners can be a little noisy, but still fine.

For breakfast, they will indeed make you just about anything you want provided they have the ingredients. They will also make you lunch to bring to the beach. Keep in mind these are home style sandwiches….not gourmet lunches. We enjoyed ours on Sun Cove during a brief down pour under a covered picknik table.

Melissa and Ivan will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. The rooms don’t have safes, but they have “banker bags” (again, Linda and Burr thinking of everything) where you can put your valuables and lock them and they in turn lock them in the hotel safe. We felt completely safe and cared for during our entire time there.

And finally, Linda and Burr felt badly that we and another family were staying there while there was work being done on the property. They invited us all up to their home on the third floor for drinks and conversation. They are wonderful people and we hope to return soon.
Don’t miss Vieques or this hotel. And make sure you spend at least 3 nights there. There’s a reason this is rated #1 on Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Room #5 with a private patio overlooking the pool and sea

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

First of all, I have to say: why anyone would choose to stay at the W as opposed to Hacienda Tamarindo is beyond me!! Though words cannot possibly do this wonderful place justice, Hacienda Tamarindo is best described as a tranquil bed and breakfast resort that will have you planning your next stay even before you leave. My husband and I spent three nights here while on our honeymoon and can honestly say that it was the best part of our trip to Puerto Rico! Being honeymooners, we wanted a beautiful, effortless place and this was it...and more.

The owners, Linda and Burr, have thought of everything to make our stay as enjoyable as possible (though, I do have one recommendation below). Upon checking in, the manager Ivan was eager to not only show us to our room, but give us a tour of the property, as well as explain in detail the little, but helpful benefits they have to offer: the free breakfast that consists of either the special (I had the stuffed french toast with mango jam and cream cheese and I was in heaven with each bite!!) or anything else on the menu (eggs, cereal, oatmeal, fresh fruit, fruit juice -- the passion fruit juice is amazing); the "honor bar" which offers liquor, wine, beer, and water, as well as snacks on the honor system; beach items such as chairs, umbrellas, sunscreen, etc., that you can purchase/rent, if needed (on honor-system, as well). Last but not least is the incredibly helpful packed lunches they offer for $10/each. We found this to be perfect for exploring the island, without having to stop for lunch (meals can get expensive on the island!).

We asked for the room with the best view and were apparently given an upgrade on the Three's A Charm package, and given room One (I believe it goes for $200/night). I was apprehensive of that room after reading a review on here discussing the mosquitoes in that room. However, the mosquitoes weren't as bad as I expected. TIP: keep the terrace door closed between 4-7 and you should be fine. Yes, some may still pop in, but the view is absolutely worth it, I assure you (and I'm an extremely pale Caucasian female). My only critique would be our quality of sleep due to a poor, very firm mattress and large pillows that kept us from being entirely comfortable throughout the night. However, I just used that as an excuse to sleep on the amazing beaches ;). Still, I would highly recommend to the owners to replace the mattress -- it would round-out an otherwise amazing experience!!

Needless to say -- and regardless of my one issue -- we very much look forward to our next visit!!!

Room Tip: Room One is amazing, private, has a wonderful view of the ocean and the wild horses. Only tip is to...
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Hacienda Tamarindo, and we would recommend staying there. Our bed was really uncomfortable the first night, but when we told the hotel, they added some sort of foam pad to the bed that made it much more comfortable. The location is pretty good (we walked into town one night, though I would be VERY careful in doing this - the roads are tiny in Vieques), and the breakfast was excellent. We already miss drinking Tamarind juice every morning. The downsides to the hotel are: the price (it's a bit high for only good lodging); you have to pay for every little thing, like if you want to snorkel ($20 per person per day?!), or if you want a beach umbrella ($10 per day); and the walls are not very thick, so we could hear birds chirping as if they were literally right next to our ear. The upsides to the hotel are: the breakfast was always delicious; the owners are there all the time, and they are very friendly (all of the staff is very friendly, actually); and it has a very laid-back feel and lots of charm. We doubt we'll ever return to Vieques, but if we did, we would consider staying here again. (Just note: the owners are selling Hacienda Tamarindo.)

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Though I didn't stay here, I did visit for breakfast and it was lovely! Small, family like atmosphere with specialties of the day and week. The food is so good that I was told I had to get there before 9am to ensure I had the chance to order from all options! Early yes, but worth it! After eating, I took a little tour and my favorite highlights are the honor bar system, the tree in the lobby and the sheep dog mascot!

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This place is excellent. Nothing is too far away form anything on the island of vieques. It is either stay at a small hotel such as this one or the W (which you can go to for a day and hang without staying there...so why stay there?). You get there and you are greeted by a happy friendly staff who shows you around the grounds (communal bar area, pool, shed with all the rental equipment that you need...everything is honor code based, so you feel like your staying in a little community.). Make sure that you realize that this is not on the beach. Although that is not an issue because you drive to all of the beaches on this island anyway. The location is excellent. It is right by the town (pretty much the only town) of Esperanza. Oh and breakfast is delicious. "You tell us what you want and we'll make it for you". Overall great experience and highly recommended. Other things to do: Saturday Night Karaoke at Al's Mar Azul (Isabella), rent a scooter from Fun Brothers in Esperanza, go to the W to hang out during the day. OH and DO NOT BRING YOUR RENTAL CAR HERE; either drive to the ferry and leave it on the mainland and rent another one on the island or fly. The ferry is a total disaster and it is near impossible to reserve a ticket going back with vehicle.

Room Tip: A balcony would be nice
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My girlfriends and I stayed here for 2 nights for our girlfriends' getaway. The only thing I regret is that we didn't stay here longer. The staff were amazing! The hotel was absolutely adorable and just so comfortable. The Hacienda has so much character and it feels like a home and not a hotel.

Room- We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. It was really spacious and comfy. The beds were comfy and the a/c worked great! There were beach towels and a cooler in the room for guest to use for free.

The View-One word-BREATHTAKING!!

Breakfast-This is included w/ your stay and it is amazingly good!

Honor System- There is all kinds of goodies(food,drinks,sun screen lotion,mosquito repellent;etc) that you can take and you just have to put your name in the book. You can pay for everything at the end of your stay.

The property has a pool which we didn't have time to use b/c we were beach hopping but it was pretty. My friend got to enjoy some time in the hammock. There is also a library and computer room which I thought was great. I love reading so anyplace w/ a library earns bonus points in my book.

The dog- Zack is the hotel dogs and he is so cute. He took us on a tour of the property when we first got there. I really enjoyed having Zack around!

I would definitely stay here if I visit Vieques again. I promise you that you will not be disappointed with the Hacienda Tamarindo. I travel quite a bit and I must say this is now one of my favorite hotels! It's not luxurious but it's a perfect island home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Guaynabo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Tito Ramos, November 2012
Founder and President of Encanto Tours & Photo Services Inc.
With the intention of making sure I identified the best lodging, transportation services, Bio Bay and restaurants I visited Vieques Incognito with a child hood friend. We were so impressed witth the experience in Hacienda Tamarindo that decided to extend the stay for an extra night. Tania helped with the check in, she gave us a thorough tour of he property and provided excellent info on the best restaurants and beaches to visit. Kudos to Linda and her excellent taste in the decoration. The rooms are handicap ready which was important since I am still recuperating from a fractured toe. Burr and Sacks (the Sheep Dog) shared some time with us at the pool, which by he way, has a spectacular view of the ocean. The library has an honor bar well equipped with spirits and a computer. They also have beach chairs and lunch boxes which is super convenient for the undeveloped beaches of Vieques. Rosa made sure our breakfast (included in the rate) was a full one. The scrambled eggs and french toast was excellent. I particularly enjoyed the fresh Tamarindo juice. Hacienda Tamarindo is definitely the best place for an unforgettable lodging experience in Vieques.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hacienda Tamarindo? Share your experiences!